Options

[Rogue One] A Spoiler Filled Thread

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    daveNYC wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    *raises hand*

I don't know if there's a clear answer for this anywhere, but it wasn't until today that it dawned on me that the Death Star had originally been seemingly designed by the wonderful bug people of Geonosis back in Episode 3. Yeah, I forgot about them too.

Is there a clear explanation for this? Where the Geonosians just outsourced fabricators and contractors doing the raw material work of the mind-boggling amount needed to get the structure of the Death Star started?
    On a side note, I don't know if this is a missed opportunity or anyone lit on this or not, but the trade disputes could certainly have started after shadowy forces suddenly needed lots and lots and LOTS of resources for their Death Star while still remaining off the books, upsetting the galactic market and so on.

We know the Empire didn't actually need Hannibal to build the Death Star, but they didn't know that, and at the same time, it's unclear what the hell he actually did. Was he just a great project manager? Did he actually design it? Back during the Clone Wars? How does this connect?

I think Rogue One may, in a way, be Disney's first step towards building its own prequel trilogy that Star Wars fans can love in comparison to episodes 1-3. I'm sure there's a ton of people who would love a similar Rogue One treatment set during the Clone Wars (ie, between episode 2 and 3) and maybe we can get some kind of...something set between episodes 1 and 2. Maybe something strictly about the Jedi Council sending a group of Jedi, led by Sifo-Diyas, on a quest to verify if Skywalker could be the one spoken of in the Prophecy, and they locate a different child they think might be also be a potential candidate, only to get sidelined protecting the kid's village from separatist forces looking to seize the village for the huge deposits of kyber crystals it sits upon.

Edit:rampant speculation!!
    I think Galen designed the laser based on kybor crystals and not the whole moon. Maybe he did extensive research on kybor crystals and the empire found a way to weaponise it/power the death Star with it and decided to pick up the main researcher.
    Maybe that's why he is kept on edau at the kybor refining facility?

It's kind of weird. At the end of RotS, there's that shot of what looks like a super laser test platform. Then something like 1-5 years later, the Empire goes and grabs a weapon designer who retired to farming because they had hit some sort of roadblock, and finally 20 or so years after the weapon designer admits that the Empire was far enough along and no longer needed his help (though at what point that happened there's no indication).

There's no plot hole or anything, but there's probably an interesting story one could tell about the problem, his discovery of the solution, and more importantly the actions he took so that the Empire didn't immediately take his solution and then shoot him as a security risk, thus allowing him to incorporate the flaw.

My interpretation of the scene was that when Galen learnt what the Empire was planning to do with his research he up and left so nobody would find/blackmail him into working on their Death Star project.

According to the star wars wiki a lot of things so covered in the novel catalyst. The wiki also has a decent amount of backstory on Galen. Apparently his motivation to start his studies was to create free clean energy for everyone.

Of all the issues in the Star Wars setting, a lack of available energy doesn't seem to be a major problem. Working on clean free energy is always a nice signaler that the person is 'good' though.

Rebels actually builds a lot of its plots on the constant need for fuel. It's why the rebellion needs a planet - they don't have reliable fuel supplies and need to keep raiding the Empire to keep the fleet in constant motion.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I've just thought - since Vader bugged the Falcon to find the Rebel base at Yavin 4, at what point did the tracker stop working? Because the Empire needed to send out a zillion probe droids to find the base on Hoth, not that many years later.

It's entirely conceivable that the tracker was small enough for Han and Chewie to not find it.

Have I just forgotten something?

Jazz on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I've just thought - since Vader bugged the Falcon to find the Rebel base at Yavin 4, at what point did the tracker stop working? Because the Empire needed to send out a zillion probe droids to find the base on Hoth, not that many years later.

It's entirely conceivable that the tracker was small enough for Han and Chewie to not find it.

It was years between the two movies, and since Leia was insisting that they must have been tracked even as they got away (and then oh look, a small moonspace station just showed up), I assume they gave the Falcon a good once-over and found it.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

It was years between the two movies, and since Leia was insisting that they must have been tracked even as they got away (and then oh look, a small moonspace station just showed up), I assume they gave the Falcon a good once-over and found it.

If the Falcon was still broadcasting its location, it would not have required seeding the outer rim with probe droids to find the rebels at Hoth.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    Vader's neck seemed too thick. I can't get past it. Even if it matches up with one of the original movies version of his armor.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    There was definitely an un-Vader-like swing to the dude's step, too. It went well with his pun.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    The sadness and hopelessness in Rogue One is far more palpable than in any of the other films, but so too is the sense of victory and sacrifice for the greater good. This is somewhat boosted by the fact that we know where the story goes after the film ends, though.

Man what? There is no sadness or hopelessness in Rogue One. The rebels go proudly and valiantly into battles, a handful of them hold off entire imperial battalions at bay, their strategies fool the imperials every time, they mow down stormtroopers by the hundreds and take down ATAT walkers by the dozen without breaking a sweat, and they win every battle they get into. Literally the only thing that stops the rebellion from destroying the empire in this movie is that they keep stopping themselves to give hope-filled speeches about how hopeful they are about the hope they feel. This movie is the antithesis of hopelessness. You could make it a movie about how hopeless the empire is in the face of this unstoppable rebellion without changing a damn thing.

As for sadness, I guess Jyn is a bit sad she misses her dad, but frankly I've seen kids going off to summer camp who were more sad about missing their parents.

I enjoyed Rogue One, but I'm baffled anyone would call it "sad" or "hopeless" or "dark". It had the tone of a freaking Saturday Morning Cartoon.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Don't know what sort of Saturday morning cartoons you were watching, but generally they don't have a ton of parent death, or killing off all the heroes.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    The tone was pretty objectively bleak. The "rebellions are built on hope" always sounded like a wry "this was never going to work anyway" bit through most of the movie in my watching than sunshine and rainbows.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Don't know what sort of Saturday morning cartoons you were watching, but generally they don't have a ton of parent death, or killing off all the heroes.

We'll all the parent death is offscreen. But most cartoons and kids shows have main characters that are minus one or both parents. Pretty much every Disney character is an orphan. Parents don't fit into kids shows, so they're just not there.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    QUESTION

After going to the rainy base Cassian is like "yo, Yavin 4 gogo". To the imperial pilot convert they've known for a few days.

Now I'm wondering how is it possible that the empire doesn't know the rebel HQ is on Yavin 4? I guess this goes for all of the films. They seem so lax with the info, and there are likely several thousand people there at the base. All of them obviously know where they are. Incoming and outgoing supplies etc.

Like either the empire doesn't know, which I don't believe would be possible for them not to know. Or they feel like they couldn't take the HQ out on a heads on assault, which I also don't believe.

I'll take option 3: They know but don't care enough to follow up on it.
    The Rebellion prior to R1 seems to be a group of relatively small movements just starting to come together under a united leadership. Capable of being a nuisance on a system level but not enough of a nuisance to devote more than the tiniest fraction of Imperial resources to hunting down. They seem to just be getting organized in R1 as a single force. So, the Empire has information that Yavin may be a rebel base, but also that there are billions of known planets and moons that could also be housing rebels. Why waste time and effort following that lead over any of the others?

This changes at the end when the Rebels show up with the ability to take out a planetary shield base and two star destroyers as well as infiltrate what should have been a massively secure facility and escape with the plan to the Emperor's biggest baddest toy yet. All of a sudden, these rebels have shown themselves to be organized and capable of being a threat. That show of strength is what puts this rebel group on the map, which eventually led to Vader bugging the Falcon to track down which hidden rebel base was the one to hunt down.

After that it's the destruction of an unimaginably expensive space station (and probably Vader's sense of Luke's force potential at the end of ANH ) that drives sending the probe droids to follow up on every possible lead at the start of Empire because now they've shown how much of a threat they can be and it's no longer a financially acceptable risk to ignore them or leave dealing with them to the local system garrisons.

This sounds good to me.

Given the sheer scale of the Empire's infrastructure, Yavin 4 probably seemed like mad small time to anyone on the command deck of a Star Destroyer. I could believe a certain myopia at work, that there was nothing special about the rebel base, that it was just one of many of these bush-league co-op refueling spots, not even really worth the manpower when the Imperial Fleet could just keep on keepin' on, strong-arming the galaxy for whatever may satisfy the will of the Emperor. And it was all good, until the rebels when and killed the Emperor's tamagotchi.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I watched Godzilla yesterday, and it struck me that some of the things Rogue One has been criticised for are very much present as well (e.g. lack of character arcs or indeed particularly well defined characters), yet also some of the obvious strengths. I can definitely see how they would've watched Godzilla and thought that Gareth Edwards would be a good fit for their film.

Holy shit, I'd forgotten he directed that too.

So much of what was wrong with this movie makes sense now. It's so many of the same problems.

• Options
    QUESTION

After going to the rainy base Cassian is like "yo, Yavin 4 gogo". To the imperial pilot convert they've known for a few days.

Now I'm wondering how is it possible that the empire doesn't know the rebel HQ is on Yavin 4? I guess this goes for all of the films. They seem so lax with the info, and there are likely several thousand people there at the base. All of them obviously know where they are. Incoming and outgoing supplies etc.

Like either the empire doesn't know, which I don't believe would be possible for them not to know. Or they feel like they couldn't take the HQ out on a heads on assault, which I also don't believe.

It's because the movie treats it's characters like a party in an RPG. They ran into these people and so they collected them and now they just get carted around because that's just how the RPG works.

I mean, he picks up two randos on that first planet that gets lasered and they just tag along for the rest of the movie without the movie ever really saying why. But hey, you can't dump party members in most RPGs and they can carry extra supplies in their packs if you run out of inventory space between towns I guess.

• Options

Noble deaths are common as fuck in kids entertainment (books, tv shows, movies, etc). Mentors buy it all the time for instance.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sometimes I read this thread and question if I saw the same movie

But then I remember it's Star Wars and carry on

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    QUESTION

It's because the movie treats it's characters like a party in an RPG. They ran into these people and so they collected them and now they just get carted around because that's just how the RPG works.

I mean, he picks up two randos on that first planet that gets lasered and they just tag along for the rest of the movie without the movie ever really saying why. But hey, you can't dump party members in most RPGs and they can carry extra supplies in their packs if you run out of inventory space between towns I guess.

Dude, the empire just nuked their city. They more or less got dragged along by default at first and after that? You think the two temple guards aren't going to want in on the rest of the fight?

• Options
    FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    QUESTION

Dude, the empire just nuked their city. They more or less got dragged along by default at first and after that? You think the two temple guards aren't going to want in on the rest of the fight?

Chirrut basically says the force is guiding him to follow Jyn, and Baze isn't super invested in the mission outside of a desire for revenge for Jedha, but is dragged along by his loyalty to Chirrut. Both of them are very clearly affected by the destruction of the holy city. I feel like this is all sketched out fairly well in the movie, though the important word there is "sketched." Every single character probably could have used at least one more little scene devoted to developing their motivations and personality.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I hate to be that guy, but I'm just have to share my unpopular opinion.

I liked Rogue One. It was a fun movie. It made me feel in the places it needed it. I had the thrills in the places where the thrills were needed. It had some great visuals that I will carry with me for a long, long while. The cast was large, but I got everyone being there and they had purpose and interest to me as a movie watcher. I'd see it again if I had the option. I definitely have recommended it to several friends as a solid action film that also happens to be Star Wars.

It seems like you have to be pretty jaded to me to watch the film I saw and tear it apart to the level of vitriol I have seen here and elsewhere. But thems the breaks.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

Or the knowledge of the tracking device died along with everyone on the deathstar.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I don't think Rogue One is getting torn apart. It just lacks muster, is all. Not enough sauce to go with the spaghetti for some fans of that particular dish, if you will.

In a strange way, Rogue One reminded me of some of the the things I liked about the prequel movies-the banter, the sense of adventure, the emotional beats...the prequels didn't do a lot of things well, but they did do some things well. Rogue One, for me, lacked both the lows AND the highs of the prequels. I gained a more nuanced appreciation for George Lucas's quirks from watching this movie.

THAT SAID, I don't want anyone to take my opinion as a signal that they are bad people for liking Rogue One in a way that I did not. Nor am I trying to position myself as having a better opinion on Rogue One that somehow requires a certain volume of validation in order that I can feel good about myself for having it.

Maybe I just go a little heavy on the sauce.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Noble deaths are common as fuck in kids entertainment (books, tv shows, movies, etc). Mentors buy it all the time for instance.

So in other words, if Saw was the only one who had died, it would be like a Very Special episode of a Saturday morning cartoon.

My dude, we are talking about literally every new character given more lines than you can count on one hand dead at the end of the film.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    QUESTION

I'll take option 3: They know but don't care enough to follow up on it.
    The Rebellion prior to R1 seems to be a group of relatively small movements just starting to come together under a united leadership. Capable of being a nuisance on a system level but not enough of a nuisance to devote more than the tiniest fraction of Imperial resources to hunting down. They seem to just be getting organized in R1 as a single force. So, the Empire has information that Yavin may be a rebel base, but also that there are billions of known planets and moons that could also be housing rebels. Why waste time and effort following that lead over any of the others?

This changes at the end when the Rebels show up with the ability to take out a planetary shield base and two star destroyers as well as infiltrate what should have been a massively secure facility and escape with the plan to the Emperor's biggest baddest toy yet. All of a sudden, these rebels have shown themselves to be organized and capable of being a threat. That show of strength is what puts this rebel group on the map, which eventually led to Vader bugging the Falcon to track down which hidden rebel base was the one to hunt down.

After that it's the destruction of an unimaginably expensive space station (and probably Vader's sense of Luke's force potential at the end of ANH ) that drives sending the probe droids to follow up on every possible lead at the start of Empire because now they've shown how much of a threat they can be and it's no longer a financially acceptable risk to ignore them or leave dealing with them to the local system garrisons.

I don't think it's totally accurate. Unless I misremember don't Krennic tell Tarkin to not forget to mention to the emperor that his station is the weapon that can take out the rebel alliance in one fell swoop? Also in talking about covering up the destruction of Jedha it's so that the rebellion won't gain more support in the senate. It seems like a major problem that they take seriously.

I am leaning more towards this being a situation where I will have to suspend my disbelief and buy that a couple of thousand people can keep a secret.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    QUESTION

They get dragged along by default up to the minute they leave the planet. After that the movie never covers why they want to come or why Cassian would let them. The second especially since this is the guy we know from his very first establishing shot would have no problem just dumping them anywhere. Instead he drags them along everywhere, including to the secret rebel base and no real note is made of the fact. They join the party and the movie leaves it at that.

• Options
    edited January 2017

So in other words, if Saw was the only one who had died, it would be like a Very Special episode of a Saturday morning cartoon.

My dude, we are talking about literally every new character given more lines than you can count on one hand dead at the end of the film.

That's not what you asked. You said "generally they don't have a ton of parent death, or killing off all the heroes" and I'm pointing out that parent/mentor death is actually fairly common in children's entertainment. As is someone sacrificing themselves for the greater good. This is pretty standard stuff.

Seriously, Saw dying is so standard it could be out of a show or movie for any age bracket. (Also really dumb but that's another matter)

shryke on
  • Options
    As to the tonethe movie in general I wouldn't call it dark or bleak. It's more stiff-upper-lip, which goes with all the accents. It's our brave heroes nobly dying for king and country.

I mean, we knew that's how it was gonna end and frankly the deaths we see aren't even horrific or anything. Everyone goes down easy and/or peaceful. Every person gets a little moment where they get to do something heroic-ish and then get offed. Maybe some last words. Except the gun guy, he just kinda dies after shooting a few people. But really, none of the deaths are all that great baring Cassian/Jyn. But they more do the "resigned to our fate" death then the noble sacrifice.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Or the knowledge of the tracking device died along with everyone on the deathstar.

Or now we know how the Falcon was able to be tracked in TFA so easily.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

That's not what you asked. You said "generally they don't have a ton of parent death, or killing off all the heroes" and I'm pointing out that parent/mentor death is actually fairly common in children's entertainment. As is someone sacrificing themselves for the greater good. This is pretty standard stuff.

Seriously, Saw dying is so standard it could be out of a show or movie for any age bracket. (Also really dumb but that's another matter)

Hell, Luke loses two mentors and a father in the original trilogy. Two of those violently, on-screen.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Hell, Luke loses two mentors and a father in the original trilogy. Two of those violently, on-screen.

We never see his aunt and uncle get killed, just the bodies. And Obi Won goes down bloodlessly.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    His aunt and uncle's scorched bodies definitely gave me nightmares as a kid

• Options
    edited January 2017

Or now we know how the Falcon was able to be tracked in TFA so easily.

Which would have been a nice little callback to the OT if not for the fact it's ruined by Abram's inability/refusal to understand scale and travel time.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    As to the tonethe movie in general I wouldn't call it dark or bleak. It's more stiff-upper-lip, which goes with all the accents. It's our brave heroes nobly dying for king and country.

I mean, we knew that's how it was gonna end and frankly the deaths we see aren't even horrific or anything. Everyone goes down easy and/or peaceful. Every person gets a little moment where they get to do something heroic-ish and then get offed. Maybe some last words. Except the gun guy, he just kinda dies after shooting a few people. But really, none of the deaths are all that great baring Cassian/Jyn. But they more do the "resigned to our fate" death then the noble sacrifice.

The droid got shot to shit, that qualified for me.

The real lesson though is don't break your plot armor. Force gives no shits about you after you throw that switch.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    About the only thing I was disappointed about was
    Chirrut not having a lightsaber hidden in his cane and busting it out right before going up against Vader, somehow. Would have given Vader something a bit more noteworthy to do than massacre a hallway of helpless fodder. Also, Chirrut was great.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    About the only thing I was disappointed about was
    Chirrut not having a lightsaber hidden in his cane and busting it out right before going up against Vader, somehow. Would have given Vader something a bit more noteworthy to do than massacre a hallway of helpless fodder. Also, Chirrut was great.

That's the opposite of what I wanted. I liked him as who he was. One of the things I liked the most in the movie was the way it just casually presented a non-Jedi force user tradition.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    He didn't have to be a Jedi. But I do also like non-Jedi/Sith force users being introduced. The elder lady in TFA, who gives Rey the lightsaber, she was cool too.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    He didn't have to be a Jedi. But I do also like non-Jedi/Sith force users being introduced. The elder lady in TFA, who gives Rey the lightsaber, she was cool too.

I'm still convinced she's going to be related to Snoke somehow

• Options

Ex-wife?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Ex-wife?

Rey's a bit young to have married and then divorced a sith lord.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Ex-wife?

maybe the same race or something.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Preacher wrote: »

Ex-wife?

Rey's a bit young to have married and then divorced a sith lord.

Maz (the subject of Yak's original comment, and thus by rules of grammar, nexus' ambiguous reply)

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Mim wrote: »
    So glad that they didn't have cassian and Jyn fall in love. I really dislike the whole "I know you for about 2 days, let's make babies because whatever stuff."

I thought it became evident that they were falling in love towards the end there and they knew they weren't going to make it so they just made do with whatever time they had left? Cause no one eye fucks someone that hard on an elevator ride and come out of it not feeling some type of way.

I felt like they were feeling things for each other but

It was SO not in the typical hollywood way, and I appreciated that. Typical hollywood would have them kissing at the end of the movie, or have them like, falling on top of each other as the ship got bumped and awkwardly blushing or whatever.

it was more like brotherhood/sisterhood to start, they learned from each other and inspired each other and at the end felt strongly connected maybe even in a slightly romantic way, but not in a heavy handed or cliche way. I thought it was awesome.

Some of my fav moments near the end are when Cassian is actually looking to Jyn as a leader. Even moments where he's about to do something and he looks at her and she nods "yes do it" are just great.

I'd have to re-watch it again, @So It Goes , but there were moments where I could tell Cassian was falling for her so it never felt like to me a brotherhood/sisterhood kind of thing. It very much reminded me of Han and Leia (especially now that I've watched the original trilogy again for New Years eve). I wanted them to kiss, but I respect that they didn't.

I also got the feeling that the blind monk and the guy with the big awesome gun were a couple. My dad didn't see it and he was actually upset people were proposing that. I was like "Uh, to me it was pretty clear they were a couple?"