Options

The Trump Administration Thread Is Now Happening

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-01-17/gop-targets-landmark-endangered-species-act-for-big-changes

The GOP is looking to dick around with the Endangered Species Act. Presumably because they're actually all villains from Captain Planet.

Look, if they can save just one barrel of oil from the oppression of nature preservation, by God, it'll be worth it.

Playing Devils advocate here I can kinda get some of the complaints with wolves. I don't really know their status but if I were a livestock farmer losing animals to wolf packs and being unable to do anything about it would be frustrating and I think that's something that needs to be looked at and a solution worked towards but the rest of it is pretty blatantly "Bleeding heart liberals won't let us lay a pipeline because of 'the delicate balance of nature' so fuck you we're going to use this one small complaint as a basis to undo 30+ years of conservation "

As someone who actually lives in that region, I don't have any sympathy for the ranchers who have been putting pressure on wolf habitats because they aren't willing to actually consider controlled growth.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Simple folk often imagine that only the poor and hideous would hire prostitutes, because they can't get a woman any other way. This has an obvious flaw, in that the poor don't have any money to blow on hookers.

I've heard it said that men don't hire a hooker to sleep with them, they hire her to go away afterwards

Yep. Or more to the point, people hire prostitutes because of the power imbalance inherent in the transaction. Which is one of those uncomfortable points that legalization advocates avoid.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    That item specifically shows that folks think that he's not treating the news media fairly, suggesting they are sympathetic to the news media. Saying that it is the equivalent of "GRRR THE MEDIA" is really weird. It's the antithesis of that.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    One of the things I read that I really feel has played a huge role in this new administration is what Lewis Gould talks about in his book The Republicans: A history of the Grand Old Party. His main point is that the Republican party has almost always been skeptical about the legitimacy of the democratic party, and that this skepticism has shaped the two parties' relations and has led to the current partisan divide.

Definitely makes sense now looking back and seeing Republicans go on and on about voter fraud and what have you.

• Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    this is a good video about ACA recipients in Trump land

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0FvLkXDKIs

Playing Russian Roulette with the presidency.

If only she knew how accurate that actually was.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    One of the things I read that I really feel has played a huge role in this new administration is what Lewis Gould talks about in his book The Republicans: A history of the Grand Old Party. His main point is that the Republican party has almost always been skeptical about the legitimacy of the democratic party, and that this skepticism has shaped the two parties' relations and has led to the current partisan divide.

Definitely makes sense now looking back and seeing Republicans go on and on about voter fraud and what have you.

I think that goes both ways very hard. This election, fake news has been the scapegoat to explain the inconceivable fact that millions of voters support Trump warts and all. Before that, the left railed against big money stealing elections. Though, after 2016 we won't hear about that for a bit I think.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

I think that goes both ways very hard. This election, fake news has been the scapegoat to explain the inconceivable fact that millions of voters support Trump warts and all. Before that, the left railed against big money stealing elections. Though, after 2016 we won't hear about that for a bit I think.

do you ever make any posts that aren't "Both sides are the same!"

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I wonder if some energy-concerns could be addressed with a Reagan-dynamo.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    This is what I imagine the Trump cabinet will be like in half a year:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy3IoFyvWOs

My own imagination of what things will be like stems from Dishonored 2.
    In the finale of Dishonored 2, you return to the first area of the game. It was also an area in Dishonored. Even in the original Dishonored, under the rule of some rather nasty folks, things still looked nice. Everything was well maintained. In the opening sequence of Dishonored 2, it was under renovation, and obviously well cared for.

In the finale of Dishonored 2, everything is broken, filthy, defaced, or some combination thereof. Bodies are literally left rotting at random places. There's trash piled everywhere. The people in charge are both malicious and incompetent, and it's very quickly destroying the city of Dunwall far faster than the rat plague of Dishonored had done.
    That's how I imagine how things will be in four years. Definitely figuratively. Possibly literally.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    So when I saw this approval ratings post earlier I was wondering when Trump is gonna respond to that:

Is anyone going to tell him that Saturday's crowd is there to protest him?

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    So when I saw this approval ratings post earlier I was wondering when Trump is gonna respond to that:

Or that there are three times as many of the Saturday crowd as there are of the Friday crowd.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I'd like China a lot more if their human rights were in better shape. But China might be the ones who develop the technology we need to progress as a global society. In a vacuum, I'd rather buy American technology than Chinese, but if China is building solar/wind/desalination and America is all about coal/oil/groundwater, then I think that the choice will be pretty straightforward.

I don't get why people think that the country with this massive air pollution crisis is going to lead the fight against climate change. I mean, results on the ground say another story:
    China's air pollution crisis shows no sign of ending as nation fails to lower coal use.

For weeks northern China has been covered in a thick toxic smog. It is one of the worst episodes of air pollution the country has seen, affecting 460 million people.

Coal is the major cause, and will continue to be the country's biggest source of energy and air pollution. Although billions have been pledged for renewable energy, 200 new coal power plants will be built across the country.

For the last month, severe air pollution has choked Beijing and coal is estimated to cause about 40 per cent of the smog in the nation's capital.

Other cities in the north, such as Shijiazhuang, have recorded air quality of 1000 PM2.5. PM2.5 are fine particles less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter that can lodge in the lungs and get into the bloodstream. The World Health Organisation says anything over 25 PM2.5 as a health hazard.

Pollution prompts rare display of anger

People are frustrated because air quality was improving in 2016 until coal production ramped up in September to service a mini stimulus package for heavy industries.

Cheap coal has powered China's economic miracle and still provides 70 per cent of the country's energy. The Government is reluctant to wean itself off coal, fearing unemployment and unrest.

In a rare display of anger, China's rising middle class took to the Chinese social media website "wechat", demanding the Government take action and protect the children of China.

They said the Government's "war on pollution", now in its third year, has not delivered results.

In 24 hours last week a petition asking the Government to install air filtration systems in schools gathered nearly half a million views and more than 2,700 comments before it was shut down.

And there is good reason to be concerned — studies suggest more than one million people die prematurely every year from the toxic air that has engulfed northern China.

:rotate:

I work for a major auto manufacturer on emissions controls, China is in the process of implementing the toughest emissions regs on the planet. There is definitely movement on that front.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »

He's just gonna tweet a picture of it from afar and thank all his fawning subjects for turning up. Content of the signs won't matter.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Of course they are rigged. What else could it be, huh?

And of course, the polls weren't wrong. Trump just got the 95th percentile outlier distribution of votes, and the 95th percentile outlier number of votes. So he still recieved a titanic thrashing, and all the models were within their error bounds, and all important economic areas of the country voted solid democrat. Trump doesnt even know what wrong is.

The same level of outlier performance on these opinion polls gives him like, 48% approval. So only worst in history by ten points!

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    The smallest violin of the world plays for #NeverTrump:
    They are some of the biggest names in the Republican national security firmament, veterans of past GOP administrations who say, if called upon by President-elect Donald Trump, they stand ready to serve their country again.

But their phones aren’t ringing. Their entreaties to Trump Tower in New York have mostly gone unanswered. In Trump world, these establishment all-stars say they are “PNG” — personae non gratae.

Their transgression was signing one or both of two public “Never Trump” letters during the campaign, declaring they would not vote for Trump and calling his candidacy a danger to the nation. One letter, with 122 names, was published by War on the Rocks, a website devoted to national security commentary, during the primary season in March. The other, with 50 names, including some repeat signatories, was published by the New York Times during the general-election campaign in August.

Now, just days before Trump is sworn in as the nation’s 45th president, the letter signers fear they have been added to another document, this one private — a purported blacklist compiled by Trump’s political advisers....

The conflict was exacerbated shortly after the election when Eliot Cohen, a State Department counselor during the Bush administration who had helped organize the War on the Rocks letter, aired new criticism of the Trump transition. In an opinion column for The Washington Post in November, Cohen said that a friend on the transition team had asked him to provide names of potential job candidates — with the stipulation that he include no one who signed either of the letters.

Cohen wrote that he became convinced there were “pent-up resentments” among members of the Trump team, and he warned young policy experts against working for the administration. Cohen has had no further communications with the transition team.

“Believe me — my phone is not ringing,” he said in a recent interview.

So, after all their tough talk, they are whining because Trump didn't gave them a job. Sad!

• Options
    armageddonboundarmageddonbound Registered User regular
    Simple folk often imagine that only the poor and hideous would hire prostitutes, because they can't get a woman any other way. This has an obvious flaw, in that the poor don't have any money to blow on hookers.

I've heard it said that men don't hire a hooker to sleep with them, they hire her to go away afterwards

Yep. Or more to the point, people hire prostitutes because of the power imbalance inherent in the transaction. Which is one of those uncomfortable points that legalization advocates avoid.

I know when I go to buy a usb cable at target I'm really there because of the power imbalance when checking out.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-01-17/gop-targets-landmark-endangered-species-act-for-big-changes

The GOP is looking to dick around with the Endangered Species Act. Presumably because they're actually all villains from Captain Planet.

Look, if they can save just one barrel of oil from the oppression of nature preservation, by God, it'll be worth it.

Playing Devils advocate here I can kinda get some of the complaints with wolves. I don't really know their status but if I were a livestock farmer losing animals to wolf packs and being unable to do anything about it would be frustrating and I think that's something that needs to be looked at and a solution worked towards but the rest of it is pretty blatantly "Bleeding heart liberals won't let us lay a pipeline because of 'the delicate balance of nature' so fuck you we're going to use this one small complaint as a basis to undo 30+ years of conservation "

counterpoint, fuck those farmers and ranchers when they've got people like Cliven Bundy running around refusing to contribute to the system that enables their livelihoods.

Also, they are wrong. Wolf packs help their livelihood by controlling deer and other mammal species numbers which would otherwise degrade water quality and cause topsoil erosion from free loss. So they can either lose a few head of cattle each year, or pay tens of millions for soil reclamation and water cleanup projects.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    It's not the deer that are causing topsoil erosion and water quality degradation. It's the fucking cows.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    They are some of the biggest names in the Republican national security firmament, veterans of past GOP administrations who say, if called upon by President-elect Donald Trump, they stand ready to serve their country again.

But their phones aren’t ringing. Their entreaties to Trump Tower in New York have mostly gone unanswered. In Trump world, these establishment all-stars say they are “PNG” — personae non gratae.

Their transgression was signing one or both of two public “Never Trump” letters during the campaign, declaring they would not vote for Trump and calling his candidacy a danger to the nation. One letter, with 122 names, was published by War on the Rocks, a website devoted to national security commentary, during the primary season in March. The other, with 50 names, including some repeat signatories, was published by the New York Times during the general-election campaign in August.

Now, just days before Trump is sworn in as the nation’s 45th president, the letter signers fear they have been added to another document, this one private — a purported blacklist compiled by Trump’s political advisers....

The conflict was exacerbated shortly after the election when Eliot Cohen, a State Department counselor during the Bush administration who had helped organize the War on the Rocks letter, aired new criticism of the Trump transition. In an opinion column for The Washington Post in November, Cohen said that a friend on the transition team had asked him to provide names of potential job candidates — with the stipulation that he include no one who signed either of the letters.

Cohen wrote that he became convinced there were “pent-up resentments” among members of the Trump team, and he warned young policy experts against working for the administration. Cohen has had no further communications with the transition team.

So, after all their tough talk, they are whining because Trump didn't gave them a job. Sad!
    i would rather have never trumpers be hypocrites for serving under trump than the trump administration being staffed by all the stooges they can find. at least with the never trumpers they showed some principle once and could show it again.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

i would rather have never trumpers be hypocrites for serving under trump than the trump administration being staffed by all the stooges they can find. at least with the never trumpers they showed some principle once and could show it again.

Precisely the issue, I expect.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    It's not the deer that are causing topsoil erosion and water quality degradation. It's the fucking cows.

Which has historically been true wherever man creates cattle ranches.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Re the protests:

Thats gonna be the best part for him.

49nq0jn68rtr.jpg

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »

It's not so much whether they are "principled" or not, but rather that they are experienced and competent. Trump is putting way too many people in government who have no experience.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

It's also the deer and wild pigs. It's the reason why hunting is such a huge part of conservation efforts in the US, we've killed off most of the other predators.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    I was thinking about the healthcare quagmire that Trump has put Republicans in. I think there is only one gambit they can make and that is to allow insurance companies to create token coverage plans that are really cheap but don't really cover shit.

They can't make premiums of actual insurance cheaper without going after healthcare costs in some way, which is really really hard. So they're probably going to do what Republicans have been doing all along, lie. And the biggest lie they can go with is token insurance plans.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Apparently Anonymus wants to have a word with Donald.

http://usuncut.com/politics/anonymous-war-donald-trump/

I have no idea what kind of site usuncut.com is, just thought it was interesting.

I would have a hell of a lot more respect for Anonymous if they had actually done anything of note to deal with russia influencing the election. Or revealed this information a year ago. Or stopped pretending to be some sort of internet illuminati.

• Options
    As far as I know, 4chan is well on the Trump train, so I don't see them looking for anything embarrassing on him, their Orange God.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Real good video attached to this opinion piece:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/16/opinions/trump-following-authoritarian-playbook-ben-ghiat/index.html

I'm not sure how to link just the video (sorry), but it does a great job breaking down the Trump Administration's Deny/Conflate/Confuse tactics, with video evidence of how it works in play.

I want CNN to hit him with this sort of video every time they do this shit. Team Trump does this with everything, and their refusal to acknowledge basic fact is infuriating.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Anonymous, the consumer of WB media properties, and 4chan are two different creatures right now. Trump support is mostly in /pol/ and seeps into other boards.

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    As far as I know, 4chan is well on the Trump train, so I don't see them looking for anything embarrassing on him, their Orange God.

That's because 4chan is mostly uninhibited young teenage boys who just discovered the internet and can't think for themselves. They post the Donald Trump memes because they imagine that they're, "triggering" people for the "lulz" while other posters are more/less doing the same. In other words, its the Ashley Madison of message boards. Its men flirting with other men". They're doing it because its the internet and everything on the internet must be true.

We also know that Trump is pretending that everyone coming to DC this week are coming to support his inauguration. Just precisely, how many people are planning to protest it? I can't imagine that it'll be a small amount.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    Waffen wrote: »

We also know that Trump is pretending that everyone coming to DC this week are coming to support his inauguration. Just precisely, how many people are planning to protest it? I can't imagine that it'll be a small amount.

I'm pretty sure my neighborhood will be empty of women, everyone's talking about how they are going to DC.

• Options
    Anonymous, the consumer of WB media properties, and 4chan are two different creatures right now. Trump support is mostly in /pol/ and seeps into other boards.

Yeah, I litterally just checked Anonymous' youtube channel and saw that there most recent video was a demand for proof of life for julian assange because the embassy he was seeking shelter in had been raided two months ago by the CIA and now it had control of Wikileaks.

I'm pretty sure theres a healthy dose of team trump in the hacktivist collective.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Last I heard, something like 300 tour buses had been permitted for the usual place they park on the 20th. 1200 for the 21st.

There will also be a string of protests in other cities on the 21st (which I plan on attending, physical complaints permitting).

• Options
    EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    I'd go if not for working weekends :|

• Options
    ArdolArdol Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Last I heard, something like 300 tour buses had been permitted for the usual place they park on the 20th. 1200 for the 21st.

There will also be a string of protests in other cities on the 21st (which I plan on attending, physical complaints permitting).

Yeah, I know my mom is attending the one in Boston on Saturday.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Re the protests:

Thats gonna be the best part for him.

49nq0jn68rtr.jpg

I wonder if Trump thinks that being president also makes him mayor of D.C.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Yeah, I litterally just checked Anonymous' youtube channel and saw that there most recent video was a demand for proof of life for julian assange because the embassy he was seeking shelter in had been raided two months ago by the CIA and now it had control of Wikileaks.

I'm pretty sure theres a healthy dose of team trump in the hacktivist collective.

Problem with Anon, and also it's strength, is that it's not a coherent group.
    One part could say, "screw Trump, let's get dirt on him!" and get a whole mess of people on board with it.
    At the exact same time, another guy could want to have Trump's Orange love babies, and get a bunch of people on board with that.

I'm sure there's enough bleeding over of things on both sides to keep Trump relatively safe from a major campaign from them for now. And that's not even counting if Russia has truly managed to gain some influence over their actions.

• Options
    Logically, since Anonymous love lulz so much, they ought to hack Trump because there is *guaranteed* to be a motherlode of lulz in his private files. Even if they like his politics, how can they resist?

• Options
    Logically, since Anonymous love lulz so much, they ought to hack Trump because there is *guaranteed* to be a motherlode of lulz in his private files. Even if they like his politics, how can they resist?

Some can't, I'm sure. But doing more than tossing a DDOS someone's way requires people with a lot more skill and finesse. So they average Anon that would be on board to help take down a site isn't of much use in that kind of situation.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

Problem with Anon, and also it's strength, is that it's not a coherent group.
    One part could say, "screw Trump, let's get dirt on him!" and get a whole mess of people on board with it.
    At the exact same time, another guy could want to have Trump's Orange love babies, and get a bunch of people on board with that.

I'm sure there's enough bleeding over of things on both sides to keep Trump relatively safe from a major campaign from them for now. And that's not even counting if Russia has truly managed to gain some influence over their actions.

The thing is that Anonymous is supposed to be united in a series of core ideals (net neutrality, opposition to corruption in government regardless of alignment, the freedom of information) and by the same coin they were perfectly fine with trump by all appearances (or at least an inadequate number of slacktivists cared to take action) right up until he insulted lewis, but waited until after MLK day to take action all while ignoring that the sainted Asange was at best an idiotic idealist being manipulated by the russian government.

It's hyporcitical as shit and feeds directly into the perception amongst veteran net surfers that they're less a lurking power house and more of a band of pretentious teenage anarchists.

This discussion has been closed.