Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Wouldn't Negasonic Teenage Warhead have fallen under the X-Men rights?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

The way I'm reading the quote is that the deal let Fox change her appearance and powers, which is nothing like how she is in the comics.

I think Marvel has a tiny amount of approval among the movie rights it doesn't control, so that the Thing isn't turned into a giant ball of tentacles that constantly says "did I do that?" and such.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The way I'm reading the quote is that the deal let Fox change her appearance and powers, which is nothing like how she is in the comics.

I think Marvel has a tiny amount of approval among the movie rights it doesn't control, so that the Thing isn't turned into a giant ball of tentacles that constantly says "did I do that?" and such.

Tent-urkles

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Speaking of Fox and MCU collaborating -- they actually did! On Deadpool, no less. Apparently Marvel gave the nod to Fox completely changing Negasonic Teenage Warhead in exchange for using Ego the Living Planet in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.

In other news, apparently Fox has the movie rights for Ego the Living Planet? Wacky.

probably part of the fantastic four package.

So Fox gave away the rights to a character associated with a franchise that Fox can't even remotely get off the ground, and in return they were allowed to change a character whose main traits (as far as I can tell) were a one-off prophetic dream and being dead.

That's a pretty good win-win.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Ryan Reynolds finally speaks on the director situation, and boy does he settle scores!
    “All I can really add is that I'm sad to see him off the film," Reynolds told GQ. "Tim's brilliant and nobody worked harder on Deadpool than he did."

...or he continues to be a much better human being than he needs to be. Whichever.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Reynolds always comes off as such a nice, reasonable person.

Like obviously it could all be a great PR persona or whatever, but its hard not to like him.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Like obviously it could all be a great PR persona or whatever, but its hard not to like him.

Similarly, his twitter could be handled by an assistant or publicity person or something, but it's really pretty good!

chromdom on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure he's just great. He's been this way for way too long.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Yep, that's acceptable.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    I mean, the ideal director of a Deadpool movie is, well, Deadpool, but we have to take what we can get in this reality.

• Options
    I hope we get a reference to the yellow boxes, even if it's a sign that say "THIS IS A SIGN".

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I mean, the ideal director of a Deadpool movie is, well, Deadpool, but we have to take what we can get in this reality.

Deadpool is not someone you want to direct anything, he's an assassin not a bureaucrat. :)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Deadpool got nominated for Best Comedy or Musical in the Golden Globes and best actor.

It's likely to lose to La La Land, a film that looks to be ripe with hollywood smoke up their ass, but hey, that would be great to see Deadpool in a tux show up and take the award either by winning or just Kanye style.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Deadpool got nominated for Best Comedy or Musical in the Golden Globes and best actor.

It's likely to lose to La La Land, a film that looks to be ripe with hollywood smoke up their ass, but hey, that would be great to see Deadpool in a tux show up and take the award either by winning or just Kanye style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRpb_E0jPc

• Options
    Deadpool has a "for your consideration" video to be nominated for an Oscar.

https://youtu.be/VQcXolXaymY

Haha! That will never happen, right? Well, the thing's been nominated for awards from the Directors Guild, the Writers Guild and the Producers Guild. That kind of track record usually means a movie has a strong chance of getting an Oscar nod. So, uh, holy shit.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be shocked to see it grab best comedy but it would be hilarious if it grabbed actual best picture.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Wouldn't be shocked to see it grab best comedy but it would be hilarious if it grabbed actual best picture.

It would be great.

But yeah, La, La, Land smoke up ass.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    But yeah, La, La, Land better film.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Well, the Oscars doesn't have a Best Comedy category, so it's a moot point there. And while I think it would be awesome if Deadpool got nominated for Best Picture, it kind of would piss me off if that's the first superhero movie it gets recognized as opposed to, say, Superman, The Dark Knight, X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier, The Incredibles, etc...

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't at least get some technical nods. Which are unfortunately the awards that instead of getting the limelight, just get given out at another ceremony and given a couple minute cursory glossing over, if the Oscars these days are anything like I remember from back when I used to watch them. But it'd be something.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like it could get nom'd for writing but probably wouldn't win. Honestly a bit miffed Reynolds didn't get best actor GG over Gosling, since Gosling is going to have enough to melt into a throne soon anyways and looked bored giving his acceptance speech.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I haven't seen many movies this year, but maybe they'll get lucky and they can squeeze them into the expanded Best Picture slot. Otherwise I think Originals Screneplay would be legitimate, but there's a lot more competition for the space.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    I haven't seen many movies this year, but maybe they'll get lucky and they can squeeze them into the expanded Best Picture slot. Otherwise I think Originals Screneplay would be legitimate, but there's a lot more competition for the space.

I doubt it. If anything, the slots have "de-expanded" since they started that. And the Oscars are notoriously not fans of superhero movies, as per the list above. I also blame that bias for "Birdman's" win a couple of years ago.

If anything, I hope that the "honorary Fury Road nomination for well-made action movie" spot goes to the Nice Guys.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I don't think something based on a comic book should count as an "original screenplay."

• Options

I don't think something based on a comic book should count as an "original screenplay."

Everything is a rip-off or based off of something now days. Nothing is "Original".

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Everything is a rip-off or based off of something now days. Nothing is "Original".

The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun?

• Options
    In the last... 20 years, find something that has been "Original"?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Most winners seem to be entirely original but "The King's Speech" was based on a play. Lame. I'm kinda bored of comic book adaptions (making an exception for our dear 'Pool of course.)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

Can't. They're all using the same old alphabet, just rearranging the same 26 (or so) letters in marginally different ways.
    Heck, most of the words they use already existed as well.

No creativity at all.

• Options
    Well, the Oscars doesn't have a Best Comedy category, so it's a moot point there. And while I think it would be awesome if Deadpool got nominated for Best Picture, it kind of would piss me off if that's the first superhero movie it gets recognized as opposed to, say, Superman, The Dark Knight, X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, The Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Winter Soldier, The Incredibles, etc...

Didn't Dark Knight get an Oscar for Heath's performance?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Didn't Dark Knight get an Oscar for Heath's performance?

Yup, best supporting actor

• Options
    Tho, derp on me a little, because argument was more for best picture.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Can't. They're all using the same old alphabet, just rearranging the same 26 (or so) letters in marginally different ways.

No creativity at all.

Spleragn.

Zchtchrp, #&$!cnm.

Dlorp.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNRpb_E0jPc
    Guess we know who the video game review industry learned it from :P

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

No creativity at all.

Spleragn.

Zchtchrp, #&$!cnm.

Dlorp.

So original!

• Options
    edited January 2017
    This doesn't actually suggest anything, right? RIGHT?!?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    ...PB as Cable?

Hm yes.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Also...

Hugh Jackman is fucking massive

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ...PB as Cable?

Hm yes.

But....

Kiera Knightley...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter