As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Soundtracks: Suggestions

2»

• Options
    ChurchbusChurchbus Registered User new member
    edited November 2007
    I agree with the suggestions of the Beyond Good & Evil and Shadow Hearts soundtracks, but I find that one game series is sadly missing from this topic.

Guilty Gear.

Namely the GGXX soundtrack, though I'm sure some of the older stuff is good as well.

Get it. Now.

Churchbus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JimmyhatesyouJimmyhatesyou Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I forgot to mention this earlier; Final Fantasy Tactics has a great soundtrack. Its done by Hitoshi Sakimoto who also did the music for Final Fansasy 12 and offers a similar style. Very good stuff.

Jimmyhatesyou on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have to agree with Chrono Chross (infact, yea, eveything by him), Wild Arms (strangely little mention of this so far, it's phenominal), Tactics and Legend of Mana.

By the way, if you're at all into hard rock/metal, and like Final Fantasy Music (Nobuo Uematsu) check out "The Black Mages"

Oh oh ohoh oho... Uhm.. what the fuck was it called... Saga Frontier 2! Holy shit were these songs bad ass.

Topia on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    As soon as Super Mario Galaxy's OST comes out, I will buy it in a heartbeat.

oh god yes!

I also need to track down Twighlight Princess's OST, I loved the music in that game, and I kept humming Midna's theme this whole week.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    OutLawSuitOutLawSuit Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I thought Ace Combat Zero's soundtrack was largely forgettable when compared to Ace Combat 4 with the exception being the song during the final boss fight. Ace Combat 4 is one of my favorite game soundtracks overall.

Surprised no one mentioned Zone of the Enders 2 yet. It had one of the most unique soundtracks to do date and it fit perfectly with the game.

OutLawSuit on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Killer Instinct Gold... but you won't find it.

Anything with Sonic Mayhem in it. That's Quake 2 (w/ Rob Zombie), Quake 3 Arena (w/ Front Line Assembly, but Sonic Mayhem released the Quake 3 Arena Noise album), James Bond 007: Tomorrow Never Dies (PSone w/ Tommy Tallarico of Earthworm Jim fame), etc.

CZroe on
  • Options
    JerikTelorianJerikTelorian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shinobi
    Killer 7
    Beautiful Katamari
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
    System Shock 2 (Free on the web!)

I'm a bit of an OST collector myself. I've been lusting after the aforementioned FFT OST for some time now.

JerikTelorian on
    SteamID -- JerikTelorian
    XBL: LiquidSnake2061
    Shade wrote: »
    Anyone notice how some things (mattresses and the copy machines in Highrise) are totally impenetrable? A steel wall, yeah that makes sense, but bullets should obliterate copy machines.

I don't know about you, but I always buy a bullet proof printer. Its a lot more expensive, but I think the advantages are apparent.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OutLawSuit wrote: »
    I thought Ace Combat Zero's soundtrack was largely forgettable when compared to Ace Combat 4 with the exception being the song during the final boss fight. Ace Combat 4 is one of my favorite game soundtracks overall.

Motherfucking SHATTERED SKIES

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    phoenix_wright_hold_it!.gif

The Phoenix Wright soundtrack is also incredible, worthwhile, and on play asia.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OutLawSuit wrote: »

Motherfucking SHATTERED SKIES

I wholeheartedly agree about the Ace Combat love. All the games have excellent music.

I'll also add that Persona 3 has a great soundtrack. It really fits the style of the game. The CD with the game is only a sampler of the full soundtrack, which is on Play-Asia, I believe.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Skies of Arcadia

Halo 3

Mass Effect

Sonic and Knuckles

These are my favourite game soundtracks. Especially the last 2.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SteevL wrote: »
    Freedom Fighters had a great soundtrack. I bought it and was happy with my purchase. It is kind of uneven at times with tracks that fit better in a game setting. Think of ominous Soviet music mixed with a bit of electronic music and you might have an idea of what to expect.

Jesper Kyd composed it, and he's also known for the Hitman soundtracks. I never got into Hitman, but apparently those are good too.

http://www.jesperkyd.com/

I was just about to post an obligatory send-up for Jesper Kyd, but I'm glad I kept reading first. :P Freedom Fighters is an excellent soundtrack, the Hitman ones are good as well, and from what I've heard so far of Kane and Lynch he's not disappointing there, either.

I'm really happy to see the VG music soundscape starting to broaden - it's becoming as diverse (if not more) than the film score scene. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I've been impressed more by the majority of game scores as opposed to film scores for the past few years.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dont know if its been mentioned but I love the Guilty Gear soundtracks.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    CHRONO CROSS

This.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend just about anything by Yasunori Matsuda. The Chrono Trigger OST is great and the Xenogears: Creid arrangement is top notch as well.

Other soundtracks worth listening to: Final Fantasy 6 and 7, Secret of Mana, Wild ARMS had some good tracks.

I'd recommend http://ocremix.org for some worthwhile game remimxes too.

I would like to add that the gregorian chant "The resurrection" and the second version accompanied by an orchestra "The Miracle" are amazing pieces of work. (Xenosaga OST in case you were wondering.)

Sliver on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dont know if its been mentioned but I love the Guilty Gear soundtracks.
    KDSD-00001_front.jpg

Also, it seems the Super Mario Galaxy OST will be arriving in stores soon for the price of $20.99.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png