Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Kazakus, Leeroy, and Aya are probably going to be the most utilized legendaries out of that list, not necessarily in that order.

Definitely not Cairne. Probably not N'Zoth either.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    N'Zoth is a good card, and I have faith that maybe they will fix games ending on turn 4. Maybe.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Alright, so a mage doesn't do much all game, I get an awkward draw of all my small stuff and burn. Pop him using most of my burn on 6; he reno's on 7, I kill reno and get him back down to like 23. Frost nova doomsayer; well, I used all my burn, so that goes off. Turn 9 Alex. Turn 10 Firelands + Forgotten Torch for lethal.

He'd already used a fireball before that, too.

Goddamn was that a stupid draw. Basically had everything freeze mage cares about plus a heal for 29.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Kripp currently doing a great job of illustrating how this Brawl needed to have "And don't you fucking dare put any non-minions in your deck" rule.

Characters
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    MadPen wrote: »
    I think a big part of the problem, aside from Kazakus' AoEs being too strong, is the classes they gave Kazakus to

Reno warlock and Reno mage where already decks that existed in the metagame, giving them a tool like Kazakus is overkill. And Reno priest just isn't a very fun archetype; I'd go as far as to say pre mean streets, priest was the class Reno saw the least play in. I much prefer Reno druid, rogue, and paladin, but those archetypes that are one more very strong card from being legit got nothing. So instead we're playing the same old Reno decks, just better. And that's lame.

Okay Reno might have seen less play in shaman than priest, but that was just because shaman's other decks were too good. Reno shaman was tried by a couple of pros and it was super strong, just not as much as steak midrange was at the time.

On the other hand, a lot of control decks before Kazakus were going to fatigue, and that sucked.

Not in the age of C'thun and N'zoth. That's what I think is the ideal for control decks--something that wins the game around turn 15. That's why I can't take jade druid as a control deck seriously, because if it hits jade blossom and a handful of other jade cards in the early game it can build a game winning board when you're still stuck on 6 or 7 mana, which is just too early to be control.

Control Decks should be winning or have won the game around turn 8, 9, or 10. Maybe 11. Against aggro, they should by default win if they ever run the aggro deck out of cards and minions on board, which they currently can't do. The reason they don't, is that Blizzard doesn't print Control win conditions and when one does show up (which historically has been exclusively combos), they remove it because it's "not fun". The expectation of turn 15+ is what's driving fatigue as the default win condition, because with a 30 card deck, if you have even the slightest amount of card draw, you're going to very quickly be drawing your own deck if you're defaulting to such high turns.

Jade's an archetypical midrange strategy. They're playing super efficient powerful minions that eventually run you over, and don't do much in the way of removal beyond the standard package. They just happen to destroy control because Druids literally have infinite golems and Shamans exploit the fact that there aren't any Wrath of Gods around.

Jade Druid is a control deck - it does exactly what you describe of winning the game once it's established control of the board.

I think the key thing here is my gripe is control decks aren't supposed to fight over the board early. The fact that Jade Druid is often planning to develop minions on (sometimes) 1, 3 and 4, and then every turn after that, marks it as a midrange deck instead of a control deck.

Winning off of control of the board in a control fashion is like, Brawl one turn into N'zoth next turn, or Lightbomb one turn into Paletress the next. Not play a jade on 4, play azure drake on 5, play a jade on six, play a jade on 7 with a swipe and now you have control of the board. That just sounds like a midrange deck to me.

(and I feel like this is the point where I should mention I'm not intending "midrange" as a slur)

Control decks do fight over the board early, though? I mean one of the problems with deck taxonomy is that certain archetypes start to bleed into other archetypes at the edges. I would argue that ultimately, what matters most about a deck is what it trying to do which defines it's classification. Jade Druid surrenders the board early and then attempts to recoup lost tempo with removal and large minions that threaten to end the game quickly. It's right on the boundary between mid-range and control. Build is also a critical factor (whether or not the deck plays auctioneer has a huge impact on what end games it tries to sculpt) and is a huge driver for how the deck operates.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    MadPen wrote: »
    I think a big part of the problem, aside from Kazakus' AoEs being too strong, is the classes they gave Kazakus to

Reno warlock and Reno mage where already decks that existed in the metagame, giving them a tool like Kazakus is overkill. And Reno priest just isn't a very fun archetype; I'd go as far as to say pre mean streets, priest was the class Reno saw the least play in. I much prefer Reno druid, rogue, and paladin, but those archetypes that are one more very strong card from being legit got nothing. So instead we're playing the same old Reno decks, just better. And that's lame.

Okay Reno might have seen less play in shaman than priest, but that was just because shaman's other decks were too good. Reno shaman was tried by a couple of pros and it was super strong, just not as much as steak midrange was at the time.

On the other hand, a lot of control decks before Kazakus were going to fatigue, and that sucked.

Not in the age of C'thun and N'zoth. That's what I think is the ideal for control decks--something that wins the game around turn 15. That's why I can't take jade druid as a control deck seriously, because if it hits jade blossom and a handful of other jade cards in the early game it can build a game winning board when you're still stuck on 6 or 7 mana, which is just too early to be control.

Control Decks should be winning or have won the game around turn 8, 9, or 10. Maybe 11. Against aggro, they should by default win if they ever run the aggro deck out of cards and minions on board, which they currently can't do. The reason they don't, is that Blizzard doesn't print Control win conditions and when one does show up (which historically has been exclusively combos), they remove it because it's "not fun". The expectation of turn 15+ is what's driving fatigue as the default win condition, because with a 30 card deck, if you have even the slightest amount of card draw, you're going to very quickly be drawing your own deck if you're defaulting to such high turns.

Jade's an archetypical midrange strategy. They're playing super efficient powerful minions that eventually run you over, and don't do much in the way of removal beyond the standard package. They just happen to destroy control because Druids literally have infinite golems and Shamans exploit the fact that there aren't any Wrath of Gods around.

Jade Druid is a control deck - it does exactly what you describe of winning the game once it's established control of the board.

I think the key thing here is my gripe is control decks aren't supposed to fight over the board early. The fact that Jade Druid is often planning to develop minions on (sometimes) 1, 3 and 4, and then every turn after that, marks it as a midrange deck instead of a control deck.

Winning off of control of the board in a control fashion is like, Brawl one turn into N'zoth next turn, or Lightbomb one turn into Paletress the next. Not play a jade on 4, play azure drake on 5, play a jade on six, play a jade on 7 with a swipe and now you have control of the board. That just sounds like a midrange deck to me.

(and I feel like this is the point where I should mention I'm not intending "midrange" as a slur)

Control decks do fight over the board early, though? I mean one of the problems with deck taxonomy is that certain archetypes start to bleed into other archetypes at the edges. I would argue that ultimately, what matters most about a deck is what it trying to do which defines it's classification. Jade Druid surrenders the board early and then attempts to recoup lost tempo with removal and large minions that threaten to end the game quickly. It's right on the boundary between mid-range and control. Build is also a critical factor (whether or not the deck plays auctioneer has a huge impact on what end games it tries to sculpt) and is a huge driver for how the deck operates.

Kids these days are too young to remember the old Royal Assassin / Icy Manipulator / Sorceress Queen days :rotate:

hippofant on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Kripp currently doing a great job of illustrating how this Brawl needed to have "And don't you fucking dare put any non-minions in your deck" rule.

well, except for wild growth, jade blossom and innervate

4-0 with ramp druid for this one so far. no, i'm not too worried about your four free one-cost spells

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I look at jade as the same as ramp which I consider mid range.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    bsjezz wrote: »

4-0 with ramp druid for this one so far. no, i'm not too worried about your four free one-cost spells

You should be, I'm packing double Flamewakers and Manawyrms ;)

Almost OTK:d a Warrior with my take on Miracle mage full with one drops

djFindus on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Kazakus, Leeroy, and Aya are probably going to be the most utilized legendaries out of that list, not necessarily in that order.

Definitely not Cairne. Probably not N'Zoth either.

Hmm, well since Goat hates Jade so much.....

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I had a perfect Arena run of 10:0 and then I told @hippofant about it. He spectated me the next game and I lost to a Warlock (to be fair I probably misplayed in the end, playing too much to my deck instead of the board).
    In the end I finished 11:3.

Grobian on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    Im enjoying handbuff paladin atm, screw ranking up for now.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    djFindus wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »

You should be, I'm packing double Flamewakers and Manawyrms ;)

Almost OTK:d a Warrior with my take on Miracle mage full with one drops

problem is i can't seem to lose. one loss in ten games, and i faced a lot of mages (packing everything from red mana wyrms to questing adventurers to loatheb). ramping up to 6/8 mana quickly just fills your hand with crazy good removal. here's what i've been using, ish:

2 x innervate
    2 x raven idol
    2 x wild growth
    2 x beckoner of c'thun
    2 x twilight elder
    2 x jade blossom
    fandral
    2 x mire keeper
    2 x jade spirit
    2 x lotus agents
    2 x nourish
    aya
    2 x dark arrokoa
    2 x jade behemoth
    ironbark protector
    doomcaller
    soggoth
    c'thun

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I was doing mech mage in tavern brawl and my flamewaker gave me pilfered power to go from 4 mana to 9

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Had some good luck in tavern brawl with a 2 drop heavy beast hunter deck. Was losing one game and then got Lock and Load as one of my free spells and had a hand full of other free shit I had been hoarding. That felt pretty awesome. Lock and Load is a good add with all those free spells.

• Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    as insanely fast as pirate warrior is, it sure is terrible if you can't draw any weapons lol

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    VS Report #37

Pretty much nothing new.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    kowikowi Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    N'Zoth is a good card, and I have faith that maybe they will fix games ending on turn 4. Maybe.

Lets hope so for that to happen.

PSN: kowi - WiiU: kowi - XBL: KoWi - twitch.tv/kowi profile.png - "Yes, Kowi is the King of All" - smilie.png Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Hmm. 1600 dust. Aya, Leeroy, Cairne, Alexstrasza, Jaraxxus, Kazakus, N'zoth, Fandral? So many legendaries, so little dust :sad:

that's like 100% either kazakus or fandral, I'd say

Jaraxxus is super fun, but I think every deck that runs him also needs kazakus, so I guess I agree with this. Although I wouldn't feel super bad about Leeroy if that sounded fun :)

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    90% of games on ladder against shamans. This meta is truly terrible and I can't believe nerfs aren't implemented sooner.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »
    90% of games on ladder against shamans. This meta is truly terrible and I can't believe nerfs aren't implemented sooner.

Perhaps you would enjoy this wallpaper
    http://i.imgur.com/FxdIzfz.png

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular

Probably because the actual numbers the devs are seeing is 17% (at all ranks) or 30% (at legend rank) so the actual situation is not that dire.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Inq wrote: »

Probably because the actual numbers the devs are seeing is 17% (at all ranks) or 30% (at legend rank) so the actual situation is not that dire.

I think it's very problematic to look at play or win rates over all ranks and I hope the brode post only included them to placate the angry players and they don't actually think those numbers are meaningful.

Depending on time of the season (and the post with the numbers was late season) players below a certain rank just don't play the same game. We all know HS has a lot of players but the majority of them just futz around a bit. Maybe they only play one class, maybe they just do dailies, maybe they just don't know how to get better at the game / what the better cards are.

And there's nothing wrong with that, I'm one of those players for most seasons. But you can't take my play rate to get meaningful information about the state of the game. I make a deck entirely out of RNG damage effects (always trust in bomber) or pirate anything before gadgetzan. If you are below rank 15 at the end of the season you are not actually doing everything to rank up. Maybe you dislike aggro and that's fine. But blizzard can't take that data and conclude the meta is healthy just because there's x% stubborn hipsters who will never run the top deck in the game.

The meta only happens over a certain rank and even there is not relevant for all games. People will just queue whatever if they got their season goal. The only play rate that should matter is when people say "I want to rank up now" and you can't measure that. But I'm sure the percentage of Shaman in that group is way higher than in the general population.

• Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    What bothers me isn't so much the great shamening as the fact that there are really only four broad archetypes in the game, pirate, Reno, Jade, and dragon and each of them feel prebuilt. They work on preprogrammed interactions and there isn't a lot of room to experiment.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh just noticed. The quests can be done challenging a friend for the week. So roll for those annoying 60 gold ones and play away.

literally why isn't this just a permanent feature
    Is this the second time it's happened? I didn't even notice it was in effect since it's so rare I stopped looking for it. Does it say it on the quest log screen or something? I can't play right now so I can't check and don't even remember.

• Options
    Oh just noticed. The quests can be done challenging a friend for the week. So roll for those annoying 60 gold ones and play away.

also the answer to this is likely queue population

matchmaking gets better the more people are playing, so they want to encourage people to ladder; that's why most quests can't be done vs AI, because the wide range of super casual players would just do AI games instead of filling out rank 20-25

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    there's also people who don't yet have the cards to run a meta deck / the meta deck they actually want to play
    (which is also one of the aspects that i think drives aggro popularity - aggro decks tend to be much easier to put together than control decks)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Ketherial wrote: »
    as insanely fast as pirate warrior is, it sure is terrible if you can't draw any weapons lol

Firebat talked briefly about this on his stream the other night, in taking a look at sjow's prelims deck list. There's just no consistency right now. In that lineup: Pirate Warrior has no card draw or cycle whatsoever, the Aggro Jade Shaman has a whoppin' 3 total cycle cards, and Miracle Rogue has three cards which cycle and a bunch of other cards that need to combo with other cards (his point wasn't that Rogue doesn't draw well, it's that it requires a bunch of interlocking pieces to do so). If you draw the latter (read: expensive) half of the decks mentioned, you just lose, because none of your cards play well from behind. Like you mention, Pirate Warrior could just draw weapons (or not draw weapons) or burn and no minions. Blizzard prints STB, Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Undertaker, Zombie Chow, etc. which are great plays on curve and horrible plays off.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote: »
    What bothers me isn't so much the great shamening as the fact that there are really only four broad archetypes in the game, pirate, Reno, Jade, and dragon and each of them feel prebuilt. They work on preprogrammed interactions and there isn't a lot of room to experiment.

How many general archetypes are there at any given point in the meta in other comparable card games?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    edited February 2017

matchmaking gets better the more people are playing, so they want to encourage people to ladder; that's why most quests can't be done vs AI, because the wide range of super casual players would just do AI games instead of filling out rank 20-25
    This isn't a value judgment about which decision is right or wrong, but I think it's interesting to note that the HotS team decided you should be able to complete any and all quests ever (even all the limited time event ones, as far as I know) in AI games, while the HS team went almost the complete opposite direction where I think the only quest that you can normally complete in any mode is the 7 wins one.

Side note: Getting the 7 wins quest when you're working on beating an Adventure is awesome, by the way.

Edit: I just thought of one quest that requires you to do PvP content in HotS: the Hero Brawl weekly.

forty on
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    there's also people who don't yet have the cards to run a meta deck / the meta deck they actually want to play
    (which is also one of the aspects that i think drives aggro popularity - aggro decks tend to be much easier to put together than control decks)
    I agree, although it is fucking baffling how many wallet decks I run into in the scrub ranks.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh that was cool. In the Hearthstone Trinity Series, during a quick break they put up a little Hearthstone puzzle. They just paused a game of Hearthstone, essentially, and did a "Can you spot the lethal?" Then after a minute or so, they played it out, no talking at any point.

It wasn't a tournament/profession/ladder game, just something they set up in a friend game beforehand. Cool idea, I'd like to see more of that!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »

This isn't a value judgment about which decision is right or wrong, but I think it's interesting to note that the HotS team decided you should be able to complete any and all quests ever (even all the limited time event ones, as far as I know) in AI games, while the HS team went almost the complete opposite direction where I think the only quest that you can normally complete in any mode is the 7 wins one.

Side note: Getting the 7 wins quest when you're working on beating an Adventure is awesome, by the way.

Hots being a team game makes it a little different, they know some people don't want to cooperate with a team so having an outlet for that is in their interest

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    kime wrote: »
    Neaden wrote: »

How many general archetypes are there at any given point in the meta in other comparable card games?

Magic tends to a variety, though you also have differences in builds around the same concept (since you can build around a particular card, but use a different colour as a second mana base to go in a different direction). Like, some StarCityGames Open Standard Top8s:

Jan 21st: B/G Delirium, G/B Aggro, G/W Tokens, Four-Colour Saheeli, Jeskai Saheeli, Mardu Vehicles
    Jan 28th: Jeskai Saheeli, Four-Colour Saheeli, Jeskai Control, B/G Delirium, G/B Aggro

Or the current PT, whose Top8 was: Mardu Vehicles, Jund Energy Aggro, B/G Delirium . Mardu seemed to overperform for that Top 8 in particular, but then in the top 64 you had a lot of Aetherworks & W/U Flash decks, as well as the SCG decks mentioned above. In general I'd say you end up with like a half-dozen or so established deck archetypes that people experiment with (which is the key part in that they take the archetype, and then try their own spin on it, or add in a few tech cards based on what they expect) with the occasional squeaker of a different deck that does well because people don't expect it.

Shadowverse has a currently overperforming top tier deck in Daria, with Roach Aggro being a close second, and then a bunch of tier 2 decks: Seraph Havencraft, Elana Havencraft, Dimensional Shift Runecraft, Control Bloodcraft, Control Swordcraft, Aggro Bloodcraft, etc.

Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    forty wrote: »

Hots being a team game makes it a little different, they know some people don't want to cooperate with a team so having an outlet for that is in their interest
    Oh I know, the game archetypes are like apples and onions (although the daily quest systems are almost identical), so it's not like it's a 1-to-1 comparison. I just thought it was interesting how differently the two teams went.

Still, one could argue that some (potential) Hearthstone players don't want to be put into an environment where they will just get steamrolled by the hottest shit and feel miserable just to complete their quests. I don't know if Hearthstone has any room for trying to provide an outlet for that group of people or not. Probably the biggest issue is that the game's non-PvP offerings are pretty limited.

forty on
  • Options
    I still think it's silly they rotate out adventures.

Characters
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Of all the dumb and baffling decisions they make with this game, that one might be the most egregious.

Edit: Like, does it cut down significantly on the Mobile footprint?

forty on
  • Options
    I think the rationale is that with the Standard-Wild dichotomy, they don't want to be selling adventures that reward cards that people find out can't be used in Standard anymore.

Because we apparently can't read.

Characters
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    well can't risk supporting wild or anything

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I didn't like the idea at first but it would be cool if Arena dropped the cost to <50 gold (and lost the guaranteed pack along with it), and become the new 'mess around playing the game without running into meta decks' mode. Tavern Brawl kinda works but isn't always available and often the brawls are so nuts you're barely playing Hearthstone anymore.

I would also love a sealed type game where you get assigned like 75 cards and have to make a deck out of them.