As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS EXTINCT! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    I think the rationale is that with the Standard-Wild dichotomy, they don't want to be selling adventures that reward cards that people find out can't be used in Standard anymore.

Because we apparently can't read.
    Apparently they can only figure out how to put warning text of "THIS CAN'T BE USED IN STANDARD SOON" over packs and not adventures, nor how to remove the word "SOON." I swear Hearthstone must be more spaghetti coded than WoW, which is saying something for how small and not old it is.

• Options
    I think the rationale is that with the Standard-Wild dichotomy, they don't want to be selling adventures that reward cards that people find out can't be used in Standard anymore.

But wait, can't you still craft Naxxramas cards? If so, and that is their rationale, it's totally faulty anyway since people could still waste resources on non-Standard cards.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You can craft adventure cards now, yes, once they've rotated. That was their alternative to the adventures not being available for purchase anymore to people who hadn't already purchased a wing.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

Based on the number of people that bought 40 packs of Classic by accident, no, we can't read :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

Too many packs of not-the-expansion-that-just-released have been bought, by otherwise intelligent people, for them to trust anyone's reading comprehension.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I suppose that is true!

I still don't quite understand why Kripp keeps buying TGT packs.

Characters
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I suppose that is true!

probably math'd out that those are the best packs for him to buy on the road to an all-gold collection

I think his strategy for that has been discussed in the thread before

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    forty wrote: »

But wait, can't you still craft Naxxramas cards? If so, and that is their rationale, it's totally faulty anyway since people could still waste resources on non-Standard cards.

You can't see those cards in the card collection without physically clicking to go to the wild section of it. Unless they create a wild section of the store (which might just be more clutter than they want, too many tabs in the store can drive people away), that kind of separation wouldn't exist for buying packs/adventures.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I suppose that is true!

probably math'd out that those are the best packs for him to buy on the road to an all-gold collection

I think his strategy for that has been discussed in the thread before

yeah kripp's only goal with packs is gold cards

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Sometimes you just aren't meant to win an arena game even at 0-0: https://hsreplay.net/replay/LDxtTn5zLaKVZUnPw4HVHf

Game description:
    He plays a bunch of strong minions in the first few turns, then plays A Light In the Darkness and discovers Don Han'Cho. He topdecks Murloc Knight right as he coins out Don, and naturally buffs the Knight out of 3 minions.

I misplayed on turn 3 by going face with the Micro Machine instead of killing the minibot, but I forgot to take Argent Protector into account. In any case I doubt it would have saved me given everything else that happened.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Too many packs of not-the-expansion-that-just-released have been bought, by otherwise intelligent people, for them to trust anyone's reading comprehension.
    But there's no special indication/barrier to purchasing the wrong pack.

Did any of you accidentally buy GvG packs during the ~2 week period before the 2016 rotation, through the big, obvious "THESE CARDS WILL SOON BE WILD-ONLY" warnings that showed up on those packs in the store?

Edit: It's also worth noting that buying adventures is a more noteworthy event, and buying the wrong adventure would be far less likely to happen inadvertently.

forty on
  • Options

You can't see those cards in the card collection without physically clicking to go to the wild section of it. Unless they create a wild section of the store (which might just be more clutter than they want, too many tabs in the store can drive people away), that kind of separation wouldn't exist for buying packs/adventures.
    They put red tape in front of buying GvG packs shortly before the 2016 rotation, so I don't see why they couldn't put red tape in front of an old adventure purchase.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Kripp's quest for gold is truly inspiring.

They put red tape in front of buying GvG packs shortly before the 2016 rotation, so I don't see why they couldn't put red tape in front of an old adventure purchase.
    It is a real concern that people will download the game, open the store, see 30 options, say "fuck this", and uninstall. They take it too far, as usual, but I don't blame them in theory.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    It's going to take a more serious effort than that to convince an actual human being that any noteworthy number of new players would quit because they open the store, go to adventures, and then scroll past the current 1-2 available adventures and see that there are some (literally only 3 come April or so) adventures with a sign that recommends they don't buy them as they are wild only, as opposed to the many, many far more likely reasons that people actually say "fuck this" and uninstall hearthstone.

Edit: To be clear, we are many, many years away from "30 options" in the store.

Edit 2: Also...
    Gamepedia wrote:
    Adventures are not available to new players until they have unlocked every class.

forty on
  • Options
    It's going to take a more serious effort than that to convince an actual human being that any noteworthy number of new players would quit because they open the store, go to adventures, and then scroll past the current 1-2 available adventures and see that there are some (literally only 3 come April or so) adventures with a sign that recommends they don't buy them as they are wild only, as opposed to the many, many far more likely reasons that people actually say "fuck this" and uninstall hearthstone.

Considering you're still here after all the bullshit I'll need a more serious effort from you to convince me those other reasons are so much more likely.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Considering you're still here after all the bullshit I'll need a more serious effort from you to convince me those other reasons are so much more likely.
    This post makes absolutely zero sense. I'm not the casual Candy Crush mom player they're worried about scaring off by not getting rid of a few extra adventure options. I stuck through bullshit hard OG D3. I still play WoW.

Anecdotally, every single real life friend I have who played Hearthstone at some point has all but stopped, and not a single one did because of some overwhelming (but tiny) number of options in the store. Mostly they either got bored or burned by the "Hearthstone is Bullshit" factor.

forty on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    og d3. man. that was quite an experience.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I actually really liked RMAH. I made a few hundred dollars at least.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular
    Yeah RMAH was amazing.

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    My simple formula for maximizing enjoyment-to-frustration ratio is putting in most playing hours right after new content release, when there are a lot of new toys to play with and against. Then once the meta really settles down, enter hibernate mode and just do dailies once every couple of days.

Even at this phase of the meta it's still fun to play in very small doses. For example I just had a pair of paladin dailies, and I knocked them out with a dragon deck I'd put together for fun. Now if I'd actually tried to get all serious and climb ranks with it, that fun would have turned into frustration and unhappiness as the ultra polished and powerful netdecks would have exposed every deficiency and smacked it around.

HS has been around for long enough that it is what it is, and nothing more. Don't expect balance, patches, or an interesting experience between expansions, and you'll have a good time.

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    They really need monthly balance patches that focus on slightly buffing the truly terrible cards and nerfing problem cards to keep the meta from settling. I play a whole bunch after a content release.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Speaking of balance...the Arena team is currently testing a 20% increase in prevalence of spells in Arena drafts alongside their thoughts about switching Arena to Standard. Supposedly in an effort to break the back of the tempo driven nature of Arena by introducing more reactive elements to the experience.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm going to stream some Tavern Brawl games to get my quest done. Tune in via my channel or try the new community feature! The PAForums twitch community gives all PA streamers a place to put our streams up. No more needing to link to individual channels anymore. Cool!

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Speaking of balance...the Arena team is currently testing a 20% increase in prevalence of spells in Arena drafts alongside their thoughts about switching Arena to Standard. Supposedly in an effort to break the back of the tempo driven nature of Arena by introducing more reactive elements to the experience.

Switching to standard would make drafting more consistent but also boring so I can't say I'm a huge fan.

20% to spells is a buff to certain classes and a nerf to others (warrior, maybe warlock) so it's kinda weird but I can see the appeal.

• Options
    BobbyrrrrBobbyrrrr Registered User regular

Years too late. Arena is by far my favourite mode since the start. But the variance between a good and bad deck is too large. There needs to be a bottom and a roof in terms of deck strength. Oh I have 3 flamestrikes, and 4 firelands portals vs I was offered an ice lance.

• Options
    I am not a doomsayer and obiously still play this game but damn this is the lowest I've ever seen hearthstone on twitch. ever.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I am not a doomsayer and obiously still play this game but damn this is the lowest I've ever seen hearthstone on twitch. ever.
    Well Kripp is playing Shadowverse tonight

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Variety is one of the biggest needs for a CCG, and Hearthstone hasn't had it for several months now, barring a brief fortnight at the release of MSoG.

I also suspect Team 5 is going to err on the side of caution with the nerfs they do this month, and they will be just as inadequate at deterring Shamanstone as the last round were.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    P10 wrote: »
    there's also people who don't yet have the cards to run a meta deck / the meta deck they actually want to play
    (which is also one of the aspects that i think drives aggro popularity - aggro decks tend to be much easier to put together than control decks)

I built aggro shaman because all the cool combo decks I wanted to build needed trillions of epics and legendaries I didnt have, and still dont

valiance on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Oh just noticed. The quests can be done challenging a friend for the week. So roll for those annoying 60 gold ones and play away.
    Thank you for pointing this out, by the way. I probably wouldn't have noticed since I always just click past the opening quest screen.

• Options
    My main fear is actually not (only) Shamanstone but the death of aggro. Like, the only thing propping aggro up currently is Pirates and that is 100% getting nerfed or people will riot. Aggro Shaman could stay afloat without the pirate package but the next rotation takes tunnel trogg and totem golem so that is gone, too. Without new aggro tools we won't have a good enough aggro deck which in turn makes Jade anything (both Shaman and Druid) that much better.

The next rotation needs to bring face hunter back, imo. Aggro paladin could also be good, but that probably can't stand up against Midrange Shaman (4 early board clears is too much).

I expect a nerf to STB, because Patches can't really be nerfed (I guess they could make him a 0/0 with "has +1/+1 if you have another pirate" but that might be too much text on one card).

I hope for a nerf to Jade in general. Since there's only two neutral Jade cards and Jade Spirit already is kinda weak, I guess you could nerf Aya? Or just nerf one card in both Shaman and Druid. the alternative is giving out strong Aggro cards and that is a risky business.

I also hope for a nerf to Midrange Shammy specifically. Yes, the rotation will hit them, but probably not hard enough. Spirit Claws I guess to make them more vulnerable to early game?

• Options
    idk what you can even do to jade. make it take longer to ramp somehow? doesn't change the inevitiability of druid but would temper shaman's ability to outlast certain decks

I'm not declaring jade a problem or anything, just if you wanted to change it idk what choice you'd even have.

they need to announce some cards and some changes soooooooooon

• Options
    idk what you can even do to jade. make it take longer to ramp somehow? doesn't change the inevitiability of druid but would temper shaman's ability to outlast certain decks

I'm not declaring jade a problem or anything, just if you wanted to change it idk what choice you'd even have.

they need to announce some cards and some changes soooooooooon

Druid is sort of fine in that they can just be beaten fast. Sure, sometimes they'll just get an insane ramp start but Blizz seems content with that aspect of the class. In general you can race Jade Druid even with control decks (think Warlock hitting one of their 4drops). The inevitability is by design, it would be easy to nerf it, though (random idea from reddit: Have Jade Idol shuffle a 1 mana "make a Jade Golem" card into the deck instead of itself so it can't go on forever).

The problem with Jade Shaman is (imo) that it can't even be reliably beaten by aggro because they have 4 early weapons, 4 early board clears and healing. That is even after the rotation will take out their good early minions.

• Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    I would definately reduce the base stats on the Jade summoning cards. Jade Behemots worst case scenario is 4/7 in stats and taunt for 6 mana. That's not even underwhelming. The same is true for most Jade spawning cards like Jade Lightning, compare to Shadowbolt for instance, Jade Claws, Jade Chieftain etc. The worst case scenario of these is still just a slightly underwhelming play and the average scenario is valuetown.

I'm getting around to accepting Jade druids because they can't clear boards like Shaman can. But I tried Midjade Shaman last night and that shit is a powerhouse. Cheap taunts and board clears as well as the best single target removal in Hex? Oh, they have great healing too and can easily get Jades into the 7/7 range at wich point you basically only need one to stick on board.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    yeah midjade shaman is imo the most well rounded deck

and you can even say, drop healing for burn, or drop burn for lategame, etc.

edit - I lost a game with it against pirate warrior before due to a misplay on my part. besides that it's a matchup I almost always win just because of burst potential (I run bloodlust) + taunts.

Variable on
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I actually think they could nerf Patches by changing him to "Playing a pirate will play Patches from your deck if you have the mana for him." Now he can't be played on turn 1 without coin and no class is going to be able to beat something like turn 2 doomsayer with pirates + weapons.

• Options
    djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    I'm not even mad about pirates anymore. Midjade Shaman tho... I feel like I'm playing a tank against bicycles!

Aggro can be teched against, but how do you even counter Midjade? Vs has all matchups except Renolock favoured or even for Midjade. Is that really true? Doesn't feel like it to me, from the Renolock perspective.

• Options
    djFindus wrote: »
    I'm not even mad about pirates anymore. Midjade Shaman tho... I feel like I'm playing a tank against bicycles!

Aggro can be teched against, but how do you even counter Midjade? Vs has all matchups except Renolock favoured or even for Midjade. Is that really true? Doesn't feel like it to me, from the Renolock perspective.

playing midjade I don't feel weak to reno either. maybe something specific about the list they have is different from mine

• Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I think without the pirate package dragon priest and rogue would keep jade in check.

• Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Yknow, as much as I'm anticipating these card nerfs (BOYYY AM I), I really really think they need to do buffs as well.

You can't just keep nerfing shit over and over. Straight up, that's no way to balance a game. They NEED to do buffs in addition to nerfs.

When was the last time they buffed a card? UTH, right? From 4 mana to 2 mana? So, yknow, literally 2 years ago.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582