Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Nintendo Switch: No Zelda Talk Here

19091939596100

Posts

  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now play them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    WraithvergeurahonkyBig DookieGennenalyse RuebeneelektrikNightslyrFremBrainiac 8KyanilisAndy Joe
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Good gravy I want almost all of the titles they mentioned. They nailed that presentation.

    Not only that, but the endslate / tweet image with a list of titles that is basically a 90% match for "games I was interested in on PC but couldn't really get into because they felt couch-ier"

    As long as pricing isn't a big hurdle I'll be buying a lot. Unfortunately that's a huge if for Nintendo given their eshop pricing history; I can't justify more than couple of 20+$ indie games when I can get the same ones on GoG or Steam for a tenth of the price. There'll be some must-haves that I'll be happy to buy full-price but I'm really hoping some of the port/re-releases are more like 5-10 than 20-30.

    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Wraithverge
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I had no idea Blaster Master was so soon! Another purchase in March!

    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    At least, probably not compromised in any way. Dunno before you play them.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Aw they should have included that game in the presentation.

    Which, the medieval Advance Wars game? That was in the presentation toward the end.

    Sorry I meant Enter the Gungeon.

  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    At least, probably not compromised in any way. Dunno before you play them.

    The moon might also be made of cheese. Won't know till you go there.


    I'd imagine if Zelda is not compromised then Stade Valley won't be.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Every game on that list looked neat and I'd like to try them. Do we know if there will be demos like on the 3ds?

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Every game on that list looked neat and I'd like to try them. Do we know if there will be demos like on the 3ds?

    we know nothing about how the eshop/online works except that "yes it can connect to the internet" and "there will be an eshop"

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    the pro con is pc compatable out of the box.

    Das' a pretty cool thing.

    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    XaquinurahonkyeelektrikSniperGuyShadowfireNightslyrMNC DoverKoopahTroopahKyanilisLinespider5MolybdenumIvan HungerPolaritieA Kobold's KoboldAndy Joe
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Phoenix-DNightslyrMNC DoverFremBrainiac 8
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    At least, probably not compromised in any way. Dunno before you play them.

    The moon might also be made of cheese. Won't know till you go there.


    I'd imagine if Zelda is not compromised then Stade Valley won't be.

    I mean I'm hearing quite a few complaints about Zelda performance so

    Plus that doesn't mean just performance. Could have all sorts of weird port issues. Moon comparison not good because we had lots of info on it before we went there. Not so much with a quick clip and title announcement of a game. I'm just saying don't assume everything will be perfect before anyone's gotten a chance to try it, especially given Nintendo's weird track record. We might be getting "Switch" versions of games instead of direct ports that have different features and stuff. Certainly hope it'll be good for a lot of those games, being able to set the thing up where ever would be hugely beneficial for some of those games.
    I wonder what Nintendo's patch policies will be for some of those indie games that tend to update a lot.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    I mean, it's Polygon.

    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    PMAversKoopahTroopahLinespider5Spoitjkylefulton
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?
    Can you provide a citation about Nintendo's acknowledgement and such? Because I've personally not seen such a thing.

    There's things to be critical of the Switch on. I know people are excited but being able to dial it back a bit is a skill.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    mojojoeowunderbarShadowfireSniperGuyIvan HungerDarth_Mogs
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I mean, it's Polygon.

    I know but this is especially shoddy, even for them. A Google search debunks one of the key points of the article. He goes on to bitch about lack of Virtual Console info, which is a fair point, but also not surprising. Wii U and 3DS didn't launch with Virtual Console. I don't even think Wii did. Maybe they haven't talked about it because plans aren't finalized? I don't know, it comes off as petty for a feature that realistically only a fraction of people will care about at launch (who is going to be playing NES Zelda when there is a brand new Zelda out?)

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I thought Nintendo's acknowledgement was just some Twitter user claiming they were told it. With that said, the article feels extremely click-baitey to me as well. It seems like an issue, but going full Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling seems a bit much.

    wunderbar
  • StargateJewStargateJew SeattleRegistered User regular
    Do you need to have played all the Disgaeas. I only played the 1st and 2nd. It looks good tho.

    Xaquin
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I mean, it's Polygon.

    I know but this is especially shoddy, even for them. A Google search debunks one of the key points of the article. He goes on to bitch about lack of Virtual Console info, which is a fair point, but also not surprising. Wii U and 3DS didn't launch with Virtual Console. I don't even think Wii did. Maybe they haven't talked about it because plans aren't finalized? I don't know, it comes off as petty for a feature that realistically only a fraction of people will care about at launch (who is going to be playing NES Zelda when there is a brand new Zelda out?)
    Virtual Console not being ready on one thing is one issue. But when it's planned function and they know how it should generally work after experience, the excuse of it not being ready day one on the next product line wears thin. They're not conceiving it for the first time, afterall.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
    Darth_Mogs
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?
    Can you provide a citation about Nintendo's acknowledgement and such? Because I've personally not seen such a thing.

    There's things to be critical of the Switch on. I know people are excited but being able to dial it back a bit is a skill.

    This was the first thing I could find:


    I'm pretty sure I also read they were working on a patch but I can't find it now.

    Edit: I also just noticed he incorrectly says the for-pay online system does not launch until fall, suggesting "true online" isn't coming until then. This is false. Nintendo starts charging for the online service in fall, but the service is available for free before that.

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Do you need to have played all the Disgaeas. I only played the 1st and 2nd. It looks good tho.

    Every Disgaea is a self-contained story and you don't need to know any of the previous ones. Previous game characters normally show up as bonus optional units though.

    9e0txHT.gif
    BlueBlueTamerBill
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Do you need to have played all the Disgaeas. I only played the 1st and 2nd. It looks good tho.

    Nope. In fact I really didn't like the third one and swore off the entire series. But then I got 5 on PS4 via Gamefly and loved every moment of it.

  • EntaruEntaru Goddess with a blade Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    At least, probably not compromised in any way. Dunno before you play them.

    The moon might also be made of cheese. Won't know till you go there.


    I'd imagine if Zelda is not compromised then Stade Valley won't be.

    I mean I'm hearing quite a few complaints about Zelda performance so

    Plus that doesn't mean just performance. Could have all sorts of weird port issues. Moon comparison not good because we had lots of info on it before we went there. Not so much with a quick clip and title announcement of a game. I'm just saying don't assume everything will be perfect before anyone's gotten a chance to try it, especially given Nintendo's weird track record. We might be getting "Switch" versions of games instead of direct ports that have different features and stuff. Certainly hope it'll be good for a lot of those games, being able to set the thing up where ever would be hugely beneficial for some of those games.
    I wonder what Nintendo's patch policies will be for some of those indie games that tend to update a lot.

    I get you're not a fan of the system but something about this seems disingenuous. I mean you have these indies porting games to the system and saying they are the full, and in some cases more, experiences and you need to throw in a "but they might not REALLY be"

    It just seems a bit of being a goose. I mean if there are real issues I'm 100% down with holding Nintendo's feet to the fire but there's no evidence there's some mythical "switch" version lower port tier.

    Entaru on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Lindsay LohanurahonkySpoit
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?
    Can you provide a citation about Nintendo's acknowledgement and such? Because I've personally not seen such a thing.

    There's things to be critical of the Switch on. I know people are excited but being able to dial it back a bit is a skill.

    This was the first thing I could find:


    I'm pretty sure I also read they were working on a patch but I can't find it now.
    Until such a source is found I'm gonna hold that tweet for what it is; on par with Reggie's "we hear you, nothing to announce at this time."

    I hope that Joycon thing is fixed day one for sure, because the Joycon is the undeniably cool thing about the Switch. Like an actual 'next step' for controllers in general, potentially.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    the pro con is pc compatable out of the box.

    Das' a pretty cool thing.

    Oh shit no way? I just recently setup my WiiU pro controller to work on my PC. It'd be nice to be able to switch out the Pro Controller for the Switch if I find that much more comfortable.

  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?
    Can you provide a citation about Nintendo's acknowledgement and such? Because I've personally not seen such a thing.

    There's things to be critical of the Switch on. I know people are excited but being able to dial it back a bit is a skill.

    This was the first thing I could find:


    I'm pretty sure I also read they were working on a patch but I can't find it now.
    Until such a source is found I'm gonna hold that tweet for what it is; on par with Reggie's "we hear you, nothing to announce at this time."

    I hope that Joycon thing is fixed day one for sure, because the Joycon is the undeniably cool thing about the Switch. Like an actual 'next step' for controllers in general, potentially.

    I found the other half:


    Yes, this is not Nintendo directly saying on their official channel. But I mean, your hardware is broken - would you shout that fact from the rooftops just before launch?

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Awful lot of ports and not-new stuff in there. Which is fine and great for people without a PC but nothing really speaking to me with a PC and a PS4 already.

    More advance wars stuff though please. That's a great series. I'll take a knockoff, sure.

    A lot of those couch co-op or whatever we call games like Overcooked and Towerfall Ascension will be nice to have in a portable form though.

    I'll be rebuying some of these games because I can now lay them on the go.

    That's worth enough for me to at least consider a re-purchase on a title per title basis.

    Also not compromised in any way, unlike some of the 3DS versions of games. I tended to prefer them anyway for added 3D effect as well as portability, but it's undeniable that sacrifices were made for the hardware often.

    At least, probably not compromised in any way. Dunno before you play them.

    The moon might also be made of cheese. Won't know till you go there.


    I'd imagine if Zelda is not compromised then Stade Valley won't be.

    I mean I'm hearing quite a few complaints about Zelda performance so

    Plus that doesn't mean just performance. Could have all sorts of weird port issues. Moon comparison not good because we had lots of info on it before we went there. Not so much with a quick clip and title announcement of a game. I'm just saying don't assume everything will be perfect before anyone's gotten a chance to try it, especially given Nintendo's weird track record. We might be getting "Switch" versions of games instead of direct ports that have different features and stuff. Certainly hope it'll be good for a lot of those games, being able to set the thing up where ever would be hugely beneficial for some of those games.
    I wonder what Nintendo's patch policies will be for some of those indie games that tend to update a lot.

    I get you're not a fan of the system but something about this seems disingenuous. I mean you have these indies porting games to the system and saying they are the full, and in some cases more, experiences and you need to throw in a "but they might not REALLY be"

    It just seems a bit of being a goose. I mean if there are real issues I'm 100% down with holding Nintendo's feet to the fire but there's no evidence there's some mythical "switch" version lower port tier.

    I haven't seen anyone say that dude. I'm going off of the game lists posted in this thread and people talking about what I assume was some sort of video montage of announced games. If they've said that then sure, I bet it'll be awesome! I just haven't seen what you're saying, I haven't been able to watch the video stuff yet.
    And I'm totally a fan of this thing, I just think it has some issues that I hope get resolved. I think the idea is great and the hardware looks mostly great too! But I'm also totally allowed to be critical of it at the same time and realistic about the history of ported stuff often being different than the original in many different ways.

    I was just saying that "not compromised in any way" isn't something we know yet. I certainly hope it is the case!

    SniperGuy on
    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    the pro con is pc compatable out of the box.

    Das' a pretty cool thing.

    Oh shit no way? I just recently setup my WiiU pro controller to work on my PC. It'd be nice to be able to switch out the Pro Controller for the Switch if I find that much more comfortable.

    this would actually mean I might consider getting one

    it would be cool if devs start supporting it in pc games like they do with the 360 controller

    Tube wrote: »
    I was legit hoping that Shorty was somehow mistaken and the world wasn't that fucked
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Polygon's article is click-baity sure, but the issue is legit and a gripe, and one tweet saying "Nintendo PR says...." isn't really an official comment from nintendo, unless we can be provided with an official statement. And until there is an official statement and/or we get a system update and the problem goes away, yes, we have every right to be concerned about this issue.

    Also, Polygon is right. the pay for online service launches in the fall. That doesn't mean that online doesn't happen before then, it means that the pay for online service launches in the fall.

    I do not like Polygon, and I don't like parts of this article. But there are legit gripes about the Switch that can't be ignored, and sometimes sensationalizing it is an effective way of pointing it out. I don't necessarily agree with the approach, but overall, yes, this is an issue. No, there has been no real comment on it. Yes, we should be worried.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    Ivan Hunger
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yes, this is not Nintendo directly saying on their official channel. But I mean, your hardware is broken - would you shout that fact from the rooftops just before launch?
    Honesty and an effort to resolve the issue is an expectation people reasonably have. I dunno about shouting it, but trying to be quiet about it isn't helping.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I don't even know what to say about this:
    http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/28/14726580/nintendo-switch-launch-not-finished
    How bad is it? Nintendo may be releasing a system with controllers that don’t function properly. We’re all hoping the connectivity issues with the left Joy-Con can be fixed via the day-one patch that also adds all online support, but Nintendo has yet to admit there’s a problem, much less promise a solution.

    This could be a short-term issue that patched consoles will never experience, but why not say so? The radio silence on a widely reported defect that we can only hope is the software and the not the hardware is baffling. We’re just a few days away from launch; if this is a hardware problem that can’t easily be solved with a patch, does Nintendo have a plan ready for replacing defective controllers?

    Dude, it's one thing to bitch, but this is a flat out lie. Nintendo has acknowledged the issue and confirmed it will be patched before launch.... Like, what is this article even?

    ...somehow I guessed it was Ben Kuchera before I even clicked it.

    He's the "opinion" guy over there, and he's known for curmudgeonly/click-baity takes. He's pretty much the only video game writer who argued that the Xbox One's original "you don't own your disks" scheme was a good thing. That's all you need to know.

    Edit: He once yelled at me on Twitter for pointing out the NPD planned to include digital in video game sales figures, claiming there was zero chance companies would do that. (They did.)

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Spoit
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yes, this is not Nintendo directly saying on their official channel. But I mean, your hardware is broken - would you shout that fact from the rooftops just before launch?
    Honesty and an effort to resolve the issue is an expectation people reasonably have. I dunno about shouting it, but trying to be quiet about it isn't helping.

    I agree. Though just purely guessing, they may not want to say anything until they are sure the patch is done and certified, etc. Or maybe they are just hoping to sweep it under the rug. *shrug*
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Polygon's article is click-baity sure, but the issue is legit and a gripe, and one tweet saying "Nintendo PR says...." isn't really an official comment from nintendo, unless we can be provided with an official statement. And until there is an official statement and/or we get a system update and the problem goes away, yes, we have every right to be concerned about this issue.

    Also, Polygon is right. the pay for online service launches in the fall. That doesn't mean that online doesn't happen before then, it means that the pay for online service launches in the fall.

    I do not like Polygon, and I don't like parts of this article. But there are legit gripes about the Switch that can't be ignored, and sometimes sensationalizing it is an effective way of pointing it out. I don't necessarily agree with the approach, but overall, yes, this is an issue. No, there has been no real comment on it. Yes, we should be worried.

    But that's not true. The pay online service launches before then. You just don't pay for it until the fall. They deliberately said this (and obviously they are trying to sell people on the service with the free trial). So it's disingenuous to even include that as a gripe. Are you complaining that you can't pay for it until the fall? No, he's acting like it's not out until then.

    I agree there are things to gripe about, but this article is full of so many stupid things the legitament complaints get lost in the noise.

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Nintendo doesn't need to acknowledge any "joycon thing." As far as they're concerned, the system in the hands of press pre-release is the same as it not being in anyone's hands.

    They don't have to acknowledge any pre-launch issues. It'd be like, "hey internet, in October 2015 when we were working on the Switch, we identified a problem where the central Switch unit would slip out from the joycons and shatter on the floor. Rest assured we are working on a solution to this issue and it will be resolved before launch."

    It wasn't in our hands then, so we didn't need to know...and it's not in our hands now.

    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    SageinaRageLBD_Nytetrayn
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    I mean, it's Polygon Ben Kuchera.

    Fixed.

    Anyhoo, I'm kinda disappointed that (unless I missed it) the new River City Ransom game won't be on the Switch.

    PSN/XBL/Nintendo/Origin/Steam: Nightslyr 3DS: 1607-1682-2948
    Switch: SW-3515-0057-3813 FF XIV: Q'vehn Tia
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Nintendo doesn't need to acknowledge any "joycon thing." As far as they're concerned, the system in the hands of press pre-release is the same as it not being in anyone's hands.

    They don't have to acknowledge any pre-launch issues. It'd be like, "hey internet, in October 2015 when we were working on the Switch, we identified a problem where the central Switch unit would slip out from the joycons and shatter on the floor. Rest assured we are working on a solution to this issue and it will be resolved before launch."

    It wasn't in our hands then, so we didn't need to know...and it's not in our hands now.

    Except they sent it to press people for the express purpose of the press people talking about it and sharing that information with the world.

    So yes, they do need to acknowledge it. It is in people's hands that other people look to for information. The information we're getting is troubling and Nintendo should be working to assuage some of the concerns.

    If they were better at messaging I'd be more concerned that their lack of a message means they don't have a fix. But since they are all weird about messaging anyway who knows?

    Austin on Waypoint said he played zelda for like 9 hours and had no problems and at hour 10 had constant sync issues. Makes me wonder if it's a battery life signal power thing. Certainly sounds like it should be fixable. But maybe they haven't figured out the best fix yet and are waiting to announce when they do. We identified a problem, we fixed it kinda thing. "looking into it" is good for now I suppose but with launch so close it is worrying.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
    wunderbarDidgeridooBRIAN BLESSED
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If those indie titles can manage to stay in the $10-$20 range, I'll be buying quite a few of them.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    Lindsay LohanGennenalyse RuebenNightslyrurahonkyKoopahTroopahWraithvergeImperfectTimFijiMolybdenumjkylefultonA Kobold's Koboldb1rdman
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    So I just called Best Buy Canada, and They did confirm to me that my Switch will *ship* on March 3rd. Best Buy does not ship products before release date.

    Pretty annoyed, since it ships on a friday, 99% sure I wont' see it until Tuesday at the earliest.. It isn't the end of the world, but pretty annoyed.

    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    urahonky
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Yes, this is not Nintendo directly saying on their official channel. But I mean, your hardware is broken - would you shout that fact from the rooftops just before launch?
    Honesty and an effort to resolve the issue is an expectation people reasonably have. I dunno about shouting it, but trying to be quiet about it isn't helping.

    I agree. Though just purely guessing, they may not want to say anything until they are sure the patch is done and certified, etc. Or maybe they are just hoping to sweep it under the rug. *shrug*
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Polygon's article is click-baity sure, but the issue is legit and a gripe, and one tweet saying "Nintendo PR says...." isn't really an official comment from nintendo, unless we can be provided with an official statement. And until there is an official statement and/or we get a system update and the problem goes away, yes, we have every right to be concerned about this issue.

    Also, Polygon is right. the pay for online service launches in the fall. That doesn't mean that online doesn't happen before then, it means that the pay for online service launches in the fall.

    I do not like Polygon, and I don't like parts of this article. But there are legit gripes about the Switch that can't be ignored, and sometimes sensationalizing it is an effective way of pointing it out. I don't necessarily agree with the approach, but overall, yes, this is an issue. No, there has been no real comment on it. Yes, we should be worried.

    But that's not true. The pay online service launches before then. You just don't pay for it until the fall. They deliberately said this (and obviously they are trying to sell people on the service with the free trial). So it's disingenuous to even include that as a gripe. Are you complaining that you can't pay for it until the fall? No, he's acting like it's not out until then.

    I agree there are things to gripe about, but this article is full of so many stupid things the legitament complaints get lost in the noise.

    Have they said the full online experience will be available for free or is it a limited trial or something like they mentioned with the app? Are we getting beta online services or the whole thing and they're just tacking on the price tag later?

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If those indie titles can manage to stay in the $10-$20 range, I'll be buying quite a few of them.

    fantastic news my man- many are already confirmed as such!

    the neo geo pocket fighting game is 9.99.

    In other news my wallet just burst into flames. What do you suppose that is about?

    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    MNC Doverecco the dolphinPolaritie
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I'd be very surprised if many of those indie games go over 20. I think the vast majority I recognized are in the 10-15ish range on steam and other places.

    Twitch Streaming T/W/TH and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Me on Steam
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Can we talk about all the moneyhats in that presentation? Because holy geez, SO MANY exclusives/timed exclusives/exclusive content.

    ...I think we can conclusively put that "Nintendo doesn't work with third parties" meme to bed.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    urahonky
This discussion has been closed.