As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Labyrinth: A Card Based Tactical RPG [PC/MAC]

TubeTube Registered User admin

Arm your heroes and defend your dungeons in Labyrinth, a free to play Collectible Card Tactical RPG. You’ll play the role of adventurer and dungeon master by building decks, picking out spells and weapons or minions and traps.
qnOOPY2.jpg

As an adventurer you’ll forge a team of three heroes and raid dungeons made by other players. Earn rewards by raiding to collect and craft more cards. Overcome the enemy’s devilish dungeons by leveling up your heroes and building an unstoppable deck.
yZQSuBH.jpg

A dungeon master’s task is to design a deck to crush invaders. Pick the perfect minions and traps to enhance your boss. Your dungeon will defend itself against attackers even if you’re offline, so you’ll need to think ahead while building your decks.
97OyOwg.png

Labyrinth was successfully Kickstarted in November 2015, and we’ve been in early access on steam since March 2016. We’ve finally gone free to play and will be leaving early access in the coming months. We’re only on Steam(PC/MAC) currently, but will also be coming to iOS and Android so you can raid on the go.

We’re excited to have you join us in the world of Hylea, so I’m including some codes you can redeem for 5 free card packs below. You can redeem these in game on the store screen.
Loading...?

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I took a code, thanks!
    This looks nice and right up my alley

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I also grabbed a code. This is definitely an interesting concept, mostly the designing dungeons part. Does this game have friend lists etc.?

Thank you!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    This looks like a really cool idea, and I already like a bunch of the character and monster design.

Looking forward to trying this, thanks for the code!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I too have taken a code, because I gave this a shot last night and liked it. Not too surprising given who else checked it out!

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I also grabbed a code. This is definitely an interesting concept, mostly the designing dungeons part. Does this game have friend lists etc.?

Thank you!

Yes, if you choose practice mode you can do raids on your own and your steam friends dungeons.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I took a code and I'm getting some friends to try this game with me, much appreciated my dudes.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    So having played a pretty fair amount of this, I have one major criticism:

The bosses seem to scale a lot more noticeably with deck upgrades than the characters.

Some of that may just be a factor of various people's luck with packs - certainly mine seem to have slanted more towards Boss Spell and Lair cards than rarer hero upgrades, for whatever reason - but it feels like it's difficult at best to keep up with the various different boss cards you run into after a while.

The fact that you get a pretty reasonable amount of experience even for losing only exacerbates the issue, since hero stats don't seem to change by level. You might be able to play better cards, but you don't necessarily have them, and either way, as far as I can tell, the matchmaking is going to throw you at someone's higher-level boss. Admittedly, they're not for-sure going to have more powerful cards either, but since there's overlap in what they can run and people have no real incentive I can see not to run whichever one they have good cards for, you're necessarily going to be facing people's A-game at harder and harder difficulties with the same cards you weren't finding success with at lower levels.

Having said all that, these are definitely issues that are solvable, and the game is in Alpha, so this is probably the right time to be addressing them. It definitely works, and I enjoy it when I find myself in a matchup that feels relatively even.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Grabbed a code. I've played a little bit past the tutorial, and the game seems like it has potential. Even with the bonus packs from the code though, I feel like I have almost no options for customizing my hero decks at all, which seems problematic for a game that's ostensibly about designing your own decks. Maybe as part of the new player experience, gift a few more basic cards for each hero class, so I can at least swap out a few cards for each hero to adjust to how I'd like to play.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Grabbed a code. I've played a little bit past the tutorial, and the game seems like it has potential. Even with the bonus packs from the code though, I feel like I have almost no options for customizing my hero decks at all, which seems problematic for a game that's ostensibly about designing your own decks. Maybe as part of the new player experience, gift a few more basic cards for each hero class, so I can at least swap out a few cards for each hero to adjust to how I'd like to play.

It's something we're continuing to tune. We'll probably stop giving defense cards in the initial card packs so you can focus on hero customization right away.
    Auralynx wrote: »
    So having played a pretty fair amount of this, I have one major criticism:

The bosses seem to scale a lot more noticeably with deck upgrades than the characters.

Some of that may just be a factor of various people's luck with packs - certainly mine seem to have slanted more towards Boss Spell and Lair cards than rarer hero upgrades, for whatever reason - but it feels like it's difficult at best to keep up with the various different boss cards you run into after a while.

The fact that you get a pretty reasonable amount of experience even for losing only exacerbates the issue, since hero stats don't seem to change by level. You might be able to play better cards, but you don't necessarily have them, and either way, as far as I can tell, the matchmaking is going to throw you at someone's higher-level boss. Admittedly, they're not for-sure going to have more powerful cards either, but since there's overlap in what they can run and people have no real incentive I can see not to run whichever one they have good cards for, you're necessarily going to be facing people's A-game at harder and harder difficulties with the same cards you weren't finding success with at lower levels.

Having said all that, these are definitely issues that are solvable, and the game is in Alpha, so this is probably the right time to be addressing them. It definitely works, and I enjoy it when I find myself in a matchup that feels relatively even.

The matchmaking is something we've iterated on a lot. When you start the game it's strongly influenced by your levels, but the more raids you do the more your skill rating factors in.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    agoaj wrote: »
    The matchmaking is something we've iterated on a lot. When you start the game it's strongly influenced by your levels, but the more raids you do the more your skill rating factors in.

Having kept at this a bit, I agree that the matchmaking seems to be improving now that I've reached level 10 on most of my heroes and the rate of change has slowed (E: I note that the cap appears to be level 15 at the moment, so your response makes more sense now). I still feel that the overall impact of new and better cards for a Boss seems to be greater than it is for the heroes, however.

I continue to enjoy the game, though!

Another observation: Even if talented, several of the lower valued fixed-damage cards (Balanced Attack, for example) don't seem to remain effective very long. Balanced Attack may be a bad example since the armor part remains quite helpful.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    Started playing this game and it has been pretty enjoyable. It is one of those games where you log on to play a few and by the end you realize you spent over an hour playing. The one thing I find frustrating is that I will run into decks where I feel like I can't do anything. Notable examples are Maessna tick loops where all I do is sit there and watch ticks move around and running into things like the Pale Rider where I just can't stop him from smashing me with his 20 attack. Like is there some card I am supposed to be running to deal with that kind of thing?

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I think Pale Rider is one of the things you just have to deal with, because there are a ton of decks running it.
    - win before it arrives (tough because the boss usually spawns a ton of minions and heals whenever a minion dies)
    - Bend Space (Rogue) to dodge/reflect the damage from its attack
    - Rogue and Divine both have windup cards that are good for dealing with huge minions (Rogue's outright kills the minion, Divine deals damage equal to its health which gets you most of the way there). These cards are also good for dealing with any of the miscellaneous huge lair monsters that start in play, so they're rarely dead draws
    - You might want to run Terrify on your Divine as well to buy you some time

I haven't quite figured out how to deal with the Roggix/Oros decks that give all their minions Piercing along with spamming a ton of minions that are tick-positive for the boss (the ones that add ticks to you when they die, or remove ticks from the boss when they die). Killing the minions feels like a losing battle, and it's tough to ignore them and focus on the boss because they deal a ton of damage.

Fry on
  • Options
    coeslawcoeslaw Registered User new member
    I didn't get a code, I supose