Options

ME Andromeda: Early Impressions Out, Divert All Power To Spoiler Tags

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    It seems the G+T Mass Effect thread is a bit more positive about the game, but they seem to be more focused on the MP.

Honestly this is the weirdest thing to me. People are focused and looking forward to MP from a Bioware game?

Like, that honestly dumbfounds me.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    To be fair, apparently the MP in ME3 soared over and above anyone's expectations. People just loved it.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Comparing anything to Witcher 3 in terms of animation isn't really fair, that team had basically infinite time and a financial situation where the company was willing to risk its entire future on making that one game (again). No AAA developer beholden to a larger publisher would have the room to do what that team did

Also CDPR is pretty big studio at this point, though probably a bit smaller than the team on ME:A. And let's be frank, it is probably way cheaper to run a studio in Poland than Canada.

Yeah, I have to regularly remind myself not to expect anyone else making an RPG to match Witcher 3 in terms of animation or cutscenes

It's straight up an unfair expectation to place on anyone, including other major triple-A developers

It's like expecting another action game to look like Uncharted 4. It's unreasonable!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    It seems the G+T Mass Effect thread is a bit more positive about the game, but they seem to be more focused on the MP.

Honestly this is the weirdest thing to me. People are focused and looking forward to MP from a Bioware game?

ME3 MP was great

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

ME3 multiplayer was extremely popular

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Only do strict embargoes or piecemeal embargoes if you think your game is bad

I don't think its ever actually improved the buzz for a game, ever

Breath of the Wild.

Worked very well there and very recently.

But the point is that this is definitely not the game for such a thing.

The embargo for that game didn't improve its buzz

its a Zelda game

It was going to be as huge as possible regardless

I would def disagree with that. People were talking about all the crazy new stuff you could do constantly. People coming out of the woodworks being interested in a Zelda for the first time because of the buzz.

The buzz was HUGE. Because it wasn't just Zelda it was a different Zelda.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

The Multiplayer for ME3 is probably the only time I've really enjoyed multiplayer in any game, it was fantastic.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

I put over 100 hours into ME3 MP

its fantastic, and I was one of the people griping they shouldn't be adding it when it was announced

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

It was very good in ME3, and it was unexpectedly good, which is the best kind of good in video games. It completely confounded expectations.

• Options
    I played 207 hours of ME3 multiplayer

I know people who put four times that into it

I genuinely believe it is one of the best representations of RPG design mechanics in an action game

It was a better RPG than DA3's multiplayer

I'm super glad they've put a ton of focus on it for Andromeda

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

The Multiplayer for ME3 is probably the only time I've really enjoyed multiplayer in any game, it was fantastic.

the dynamic felt a lot like Left 4 Dead or L4D2. when you had good teammates, things still felt like a fun challenge. if you had bad teammates, things went to shit but it still felt like a lot of fun.

edit: the more i think about it, L4D and ME3's multiplayer also both did a really good job at setting an atmosphere. it didn't feel like you were playing a multiplayer shooter with scifi or zombie dressing. it felt like you were playing a quality shooter with the bonus of human teammates.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Yeah, ME3 multi's still going strong five years after that game came out.

It's a really good blend of ME's Action RPG combat and Gears Horde mode, and Andromeda's is even better.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    If the game improves (which it sounds like it does), this is severe mismanagement by EA AGAIN

The only part of the game they're letting people see for a full week is far and away the worst part

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah I don't think saying "it's a bioware game what did you expect!" or referring to things as doomsaying makes the game immune to criticism.

Y'all taking it the wrong way.

I like Bioware games.

So when I say its a Bioware game...I'm not saying that as an insult. I'm saying its familiar and I don't necessarily find familarity to be a bad thing.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I still chuckle at myself for groaning at the addition of MP and James. "Ewww, multiplayer in my space RPG, and now a Jersey Shore party member.... barf"

Kinda the same for Shadow of Mordor. "Oh god another cash in video game that cribs from Ass--- wait, this is good!"

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    When I say I loved the ME3 multiplayer, let me put it like this:

I have 185 hours in ME3 multiplayer, with a N7 ranking of 710 (in the top 6% of the world).

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I mean...some folks are really into Mass Effect's combat.

I know I have been ever since they introduced Biotic Charge.

And the challenge of MP isn't stifled in the way SP is. Meaning you can truly appreciate it there.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I still chuckle at myself for groaning at the addition of MP and James. "Ewww, multiplayer in my space RPG, and now a Jersey Shore party member.... barf"

Kinda the same for Shadow of Mordor. "Oh god another cash in video game that cribs from Ass--- wait, this is good!"

Vega was the best human squad member in all of Mass Effect

What a pleasant surprise that was to find out

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    *Had 650 hours in ME3MP*

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So I haven't followed the MEA multiplayer news too closely, but does MEA multi have a way to unlock new classes and weapons that isn't 100% relying on the RNG to drop one for you

because that was the single biggest problem I had with ME3 multiplayer

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    So I haven't followed the MEA multiplayer news too closely, but does MEA multi have a way to unlock new classes and weapons that isn't 100% relying on the RNG to drop one for you

If you've ever played Destiny the have something like the secret shop that game had.

Like a vendor with rotating stock you can buy from. Not sure how the currency will work though.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Here are some of my impressions. I was able to make an okay looking lady ryder. I think the weird run animations are because they are designed for armor and they look funky when in normal clothes. The only thing I think looks off so far is my ryder's neck is really long and her head is constantly angled up and forward? Again I think this is for armor clearance but looks stupid in normal clothes.

Also everyone had super bad posture.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

If you've ever played Destiny the have something like the secret shop that game had.

Like a vendor with rotating stock you can buy from. Not sure how the currency will work though.

Hmmmmm I was really hoping they would just steal and improve the DAI system of character unlocking

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I didn't poke around too closely, but it didn't seem like it? That said there were higher tier rando packs that had like, guaranteed chance of characters and weapons.

Also I got a bunch of characters and weapons before I played my first game just from "owning" all the previous Mass Effect and Dragon Age games through Origin Access, so I already have like an Asari and an Angaran and my dear, sweet Carnifex.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Not a huge amount of specifics on it yet but there's a tab of the store called the Item Shop which uses a secondary currency (which you can accrue from playing an MP Mission which has a set difficulty/faction/map and some modifiers, so like, no ammo boxes but you start with 800% of your normal ammo/grenades). MP Missions award credits and Mission Funds.

There's also a mobile app which is kind of the war table from DAI for other missions to give you more rewards that way.

As of last night, 5 Mission Funds bought you any of the in-match consumables (medigoo, rockets, ammo, heal/shields) or 15 for a respec card.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    When I say I loved the ME3 multiplayer, let me put it like this:

I have 185 hours in ME3 multiplayer, with a N7 ranking of 710 (in the top 6% of the world).

I don't remember what mine was when I quit but it wouldn't surprise me if it was near that

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I posted this in the G&T thread, but I think I'll repost it here since a ton of negativity seems to be based on random twitter clips:

Things I like about what I've played of ME:A

- The combat seems good, and there's a ton of content there.
    - I like the less military tone. Your crew aren't a hand-picked cadre of ultra badasses. People complained about your companions not really "popping" when you recruit them, and I get where they're coming from, but I think that's actually on purpose. Your crew is just kind of people who were available at the time, they're not special snowflakes, and that's actually kind of a fresh approach for a bioware game.
    - In that same vein, Peebee isn't so bad so far. Sera's scenes just never felt like they fit in with the characterization of the inquisitor in the rest of the game, but Peebee doesn't contrast nearly as much against your more amateur, casual crew in MEA.
    - Granted "pathfinder" is Andromedan for "chosen one", but I like that your actual character is still just kind of some famous guy's kid. It puts less weight on your dialogue choices, I played my Ryder as kind of a carefree goofball who probably shouldn't be in charge of anything, and she was super likable. Definitely a streak of the female smuggler from SWTOR. The Chosen One-ism is still kind of silly, but it's actually less egregious than normal for a bioware narrative.
    - I think a lot of the complaints about awkward dialogue are over-stated, and a couple of the worst clips I've seen seem to have been either bugs or actually edited. There's definitely some oddities in some of the performances, especially at the base, but your core crew has all been fine so far, and Ryder's VA has made me laugh several times with her delivery.
    - Exploration has been fun so far. The directional indicator for your objectives *is* kind of wonky, but there's been lots of cool little places to go exploring, and the vehicle is an off-roady little beast.
    - I have some framerate issues in some locations (hopefully further optimizations will be coming) but loading times have actually been pretty minimal.
    - I flew to an asteroid field in the ship, and when you exit the galaxy map you can look out from all the different viewports on your ship and see a pretty view of inside the asteroid field, and it was super cool and really emphasized flying around and exploring space. Can see it getting old by hour 50, but in hour 5 it definitely charmed me.

I've played 6 hours of SP and haven't felt felt tempted to re-start and find a "more fun" build, which I did coooonstantly in DA:I. I'm more interested in ME:A 6 hours in than I was in DA:I at the same point, I mostly like the crew, and I really like Ryder.

spoilers
    I'm definitely guessing Papa Ryder ain't really dead. No one seems willing to tell me where his body is or how exactly he died, and he seems to be up to some shit.

Jesus Cora, you're the gayest coded straight girl ever. "I spent some time serving with Asari commandos" is the space-lesbian equivalent of "I spent a couple of summers following Sara McLachlan on tour."

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I've only met a few characters, but I thought Ryder was fine and I've liked Cora

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also this actually runs pretty good on my computer? Desperately need a controller though.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    To me CDPR seems to have taken what Bioware used to be the best at and raised the bar on those type of games to an impressive level. It's not unfair to criticize games for failing to achieve what they set out to do, and this game really seems to fall flat on the characteristics that made Bioware's brand.
    Like it's cool that people like CDPR games, and they're admittedly pretty, but there's no gameplay there. It's just pretty pictures. The VA was good, but the story was forgettable and utterly unengaging. I sunk 32 hours into it before I just gave up on trying to slog through the endless sidequests and put the game back on the shelf.

The facial animations may be weird and off-putting in MEA, but I had more fun in the four hours of MP last night than I did in most of W3.

Witcher 3 is still unbelievably pretty.

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I posted this in the G&T thread, but I think I'll repost it here since a ton of negativity seems to be based on random twitter clips:

Things I like about what I've played of ME:A

- The combat seems good, and there's a ton of content there.
    - I like the less military tone. Your crew aren't a hand-picked cadre of ultra badasses. People complained about your companions not really "popping" when you recruit them, and I get where they're coming from, but I think that's actually on purpose. Your crew is just kind of people who were available at the time, they're not special snowflakes, and that's actually kind of a fresh approach for a bioware game.
    - In that same vein, Peebee isn't so bad so far. Sera's scenes just never felt like they fit in with the characterization of the inquisitor in the rest of the game, but Peebee doesn't contrast nearly as much against your more amateur, casual crew in MEA.
    - Granted "pathfinder" is Andromedan for "chosen one", but I like that your actual character is still just kind of some famous guy's kid. It puts less weight on your dialogue choices, I played my Ryder as kind of a carefree goofball who probably shouldn't be in charge of anything, and she was super likable. Definitely a streak of the female smuggler from SWTOR. The Chosen One-ism is still kind of silly, but it's actually less egregious than normal for a bioware narrative.
    - I think a lot of the complaints about awkward dialogue are over-stated, and a couple of the worst clips I've seen seem to have been either bugs or actually edited. There's definitely some oddities in some of the performances, especially at the base, but your core crew has all been fine so far, and Ryder's VA has made me laugh several times with her delivery.
    - Exploration has been fun so far. The directional indicator for your objectives *is* kind of wonky, but there's been lots of cool little places to go exploring, and the vehicle is an off-roady little beast.
    - I have some framerate issues in some locations (hopefully further optimizations will be coming) but loading times have actually been pretty minimal.
    - I flew to an asteroid field in the ship, and when you exit the galaxy map you can look out from all the different viewports on your ship and see a pretty view of inside the asteroid field, and it was super cool and really emphasized flying around and exploring space. Can see it getting old by hour 50, but in hour 5 it definitely charmed me.

I've played 6 hours of SP and haven't felt felt tempted to re-start and find a "more fun" build, which I did coooonstantly in DA:I. I'm more interested in ME:A 6 hours in than I was in DA:I at the same point, I mostly like the crew, and I really like Ryder.

spoilers
    I'm definitely guessing Papa Ryder ain't really dead. No one seems willing to tell me where his body is or how exactly he died, and he seems to be up to some shit.

Jesus Cora, you're the gayest coded straight girl ever. "I spent some time serving with Asari commandos" is the space-lesbian equivalent of "I spent a couple of summers following Sara McLachlan on tour."

lmfao at that second bit in the spoiler

• Options
    edited March 2017
    If I'm being honest...there is one thing I loved about Witcher 3 that I truly wish more games would take notes from.

It had by far one of the best depictions of what I would call a married couple relationship I have ever seen in a game.

And I think folks really don't give that the credit its deserves.

Probably cause its optional and one of the characters involved is very divisive.

But for me it was the only time I was really invested in the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    If
    Oats wrote: »
    Not a huge amount of specifics on it yet but there's a tab of the store called the Item Shop which uses a secondary currency (which you can accrue from playing an MP Mission which has a set difficulty/faction/map and some modifiers, so like, no ammo boxes but you start with 800% of your normal ammo/grenades). MP Missions award credits and Mission Funds.

There's also a mobile app which is kind of the war table from DAI for other missions to give you more rewards that way.

As of last night, 5 Mission Funds bought you any of the in-match consumables (medigoo, rockets, ammo, heal/shields) or 15 for a respec card.

Wait, mobile app? Like, an actual mobile app, or an in-game UI thing? I don't see anything in the App Store on iOS.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    jdarksun wrote: »
    To me CDPR seems to have taken what Bioware used to be the best at and raised the bar on those type of games to an impressive level. It's not unfair to criticize games for failing to achieve what they set out to do, and this game really seems to fall flat on the characteristics that made Bioware's brand.
    Like it's cool that people like CDPR games, and they're admittedly pretty, but there's no gameplay there. It's just pretty pictures.

I mean

this is a pile of horseshit

• Options
    I think the camera zoom-in on NPC conversations that just shows like, the side of Ryder's head are pretty clunky though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    If
    Oats wrote: »

Wait, mobile app? Like, an actual mobile app, or an in-game UI thing? I don't see anything in the App Store on iOS.

Not out in the US yet. It's out in a handful of countries, on iPhone and Android, including Canada.

Everything it does you can do in game too.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    If I'm being honest...there is one thing I loved about Witcher 3 that I truly wish more games would take notes from.

It had by far one of the best depictions of what I would call a married couple relationship I have ever seen in a game.

And I think folks really don't give that the credit its deserves.

Probably cause its optional and one of the characters involved is very divisive.

But for me it was the only time I was really invested in the game.

By the third game they had some of the most realistic depictions of relationships of various kinds in a vidya (kinda funny considering how sex was treated in the first two). Casual flings, marriage, a family that cared but wasn't necessarily still together. They hit those out of the fucking park. And the most painfully realistic
    break-up scene. woo boy that was rough.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Like it's cool that people like CDPR games, and they're admittedly pretty, but there's no gameplay there. It's just pretty pictures.

I mean

I agree that he isn't being fair. But if we're talking strictly about combat. W3 is basically an amateurish action game tied to an unnecessarily bloated and easily broken RPG system.

Like...when I say I despised it and it made the game a choir to play I'm not kidding.

And I hope they finally make something decent by the time Cyberpunk comes out.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

I mean

I agree that he isn't being fair. But if we're talking strictly about combat. W3 is basically an amateurish action game tied to an unnecessarily bloated and easily broken RPG system.

Like...when I say I despised it and it made the game a choir to play I'm not kidding.

And I hope they finally make some decent by the time Cyberpunk comes out.

I agree except the bloated part. My issue was the opposite with it. The RPG mechanics felt shallow. Like the changes were minor and the character hit a point of ceased advancement far before the end of the game.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

I mean

And I hope they finally make something decent by the time Cyberpunk comes out.

This is very much a hot take.

This discussion has been closed.