Options

Iron Fist

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Remember the argument that the first Asian superhero in the MCU shouldn't be martial arts-based?

And now, at this rate, the first two Asian superheroes in the MCU will be Shang Chi and Karnak.

Does Colleen just not count or what?

That depends. Is she a superhero? Will she become a superhero?

And none of that "in the comics" stuff, I mean on-screen in the MCU.

She's a martial-arts based hero in a superhero MCU show, so...yes?

For me, she's like Misty Knight in that she's an important supporting character rather than full-on hero.

But even if she is, does that detract from my original criticism in any way?

I wasn't debating that, but it seemed like a weird choice to go with Shang Chi, who doesn't have anyone even talking about making anything out of, over Colleen Wing in the Iron Fist thread of all places.

Why would I bring up an asian martial artist character if I was trying to discount the idea that the first asian MCU superhero was martial arts based?

I could've sworn there was something about casting Shang Chi for a future project. I might just be misremembering.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I feel like Danny and Colleen's relationship has been pretty slapdash.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Remember the argument that the first Asian superhero in the MCU shouldn't be martial arts-based?

And now, at this rate, the first two Asian superheroes in the MCU will be Shang Chi and Karnak.

Does Colleen just not count or what?

That depends. Is she a superhero? Will she become a superhero?

And none of that "in the comics" stuff, I mean on-screen in the MCU.

She's a martial-arts based hero in a superhero MCU show, so...yes?

For me, she's like Misty Knight in that she's an important supporting character rather than full-on hero.

But even if she is, does that detract from my original criticism in any way?

I wasn't debating that, but it seemed like a weird choice to go with Shang Chi, who doesn't have anyone even talking about making anything out of, over Colleen Wing in the Iron Fist thread of all places.

Why would I bring up an asian martial artist character if I was trying to discount the idea that the first asian MCU superhero was martial arts based?

I could've sworn there was something about casting Shang Chi for a future project. I might just be misremembering.

i think it got tied in with the whole asian american iron fist movement

i don't think it was ever a thing that was gonna happen -- moreso speculation that morphed into justification

i know, personally, whenever i'd bring it up on twitter, i'd get flooded with people asking if shang chi getting introduced would "make me forgive" white danny rand

which missed the point on...so many levels

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Hey ooooo drunken boxing

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    What about daisy "skye" Johnson

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Hey ooooo
    drunken boxing
    That was probably my favorite fight of any MCU netflix series actually

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Ok Holy shit
    Manmeet from outsourced is a ass kicker on this show
    Fuck any complaints I love it unconditionally
    Give me all the bad ass Indians

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm almost through episode 4 and so far the most likable character is the illegal fight promoter.

Running count so far...

Shouting "YOU IDIOT" at the screen: 1.
    Muting the show because a scene was simply too goddamn obvious: 1.
    Wondering if they simply forgot to speed up the fight scenes in editing: 5.
    Staring in disbelief at the show ripping off the Pink Panther's Clouseau/Cato relationship: 1.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I'm almost through episode 4 and so far the most likable character is the illegal fight promoter.

Running count so far...

Staring in disbelief at the show ripping off the Pink Panther's Clouseau/Cato relationship: 1.

The Colleen/Danny "fight" isn't them fighting in earnest. It's them sharing techniques. They're intentionally slow.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Okay, partway through the first episode and maybe my desire to like this is colouring my perceptions but I don't hate it

Danny is a doofus, though

And I'm surprised the goons sent after him aren't able to track him by scent, he's got to smell awful

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Okay, partway through the first episode and maybe my desire to like this is colouring my perceptions but I don't hate it

Danny is a doofus, though

And I'm surprised the goons sent after him aren't able to track him by scent, he's got to smell awful

Man if you think patchouli smells awful that shit's on you, man.

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Personally I really enjoyed the series. As far as ranking it against other Netflix series I would put it above Daredevil, but below the other two. The one part I would change is the culturally blind aspects covered by Tube so far. I am 90% certain the intent is to show how disconnected Danny is from our world. In Kun Lun I am certain these specific racist and sexist bits don't exist. All of this leads me to believe a super white guy was behind this because you can't use in text bullshit like that to justify the racist and sexist implications in real life.

Still overall a pretty fun series. They seem to get away from the more problematic stuff after they have finished establishing how different and abusive Danny's world was. They do a really fun set-up for the Defenders and I can easily see how and why they will team up. I am really looking forward to how the whole cast will interact. Danny's super cheerful attitude will be a great counterpoint to the more cycnical rest of the cast.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Idk what show the rest of you are watching, but Iron Fist is pretty awesome. I'm enjoying the shit out of it!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Having watched this for a while I don't think recasting Danny as Asian would have worked. Like, he's maybe the most inherently white character in the history of fiction.

• Options
    • He's incredibly entitled
    • He demands that everything be taken from people who have worked hard and earned it and given to him
    • He treats women like they are commodities to be bought and sold
    • He passionately believes that things that belong to other cultures (such as the mantle of Iron Fist) should belong to him, despite the fact that he's a schmuck
    • He's broadly incompetent but succeeds nonetheless because of who he is rather than any real ability
    • He has a shitty tattoo of a dragon
    • He patronises the poor and needy with unrealistic solutions

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    God fucking dammit

How do you take the core of a character whose origin story is "Watched his family get murdered, ran from actual fucking wolves who wanted to eat him, then got found by a entire society of martial artists and beat up a dragon" and just

Toss all that in the garbage and make him come off as an entitled loser

It feels like there was an active campaign to make the white savior shit worse

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

Running count so far...

The Colleen/Danny "fight" isn't them fighting in earnest. It's them sharing techniques. They're intentionally slow.

I can assure you, that is not the only time I wondered that.

I suppose I can add another running counter of Times I looked up Iron Fist fight scenes on YouTube, to see if I could download them and try speeding up the hits myself just to see if it would improve them: 2

Honestly, I don't understand why they didn't just give him a costume. It didn't need to be anything more intricate than the Man In Black outfit from Daredevil, just get a mask so you can put a stuntman in there instead.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    It also bugs me that Finn Jones didn't bother to get in shape for the role.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    God fucking dammit

How do you take the core of a character whose origin story is "Watched his family get murdered, ran from actual fucking wolves who wanted to eat him, then got found by a entire society of martial artists and beat up a dragon" and just

Toss all that in the garbage and make him come off as an entitled loser

It feels like there was an active campaign to make the white savior shit worse

Someone watched Batman and determined that the character of Bruce Wayne that he puts on in public isn't just a persona, but actually who he is.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Danny constantly tries to pay Coleen's rent so that she'll owe him something, and she consistently refuses. He responds by buying her building and telling her she's his landlord.

Danny Rand is a fucking scumbag.

Tube on
  • Options
    Tube wrote: »

So far the most unrealistic part was the bit where Danny takes off his shirt in his office and the secretary has to steal a glance because he's hot.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I just hit a scene where he shows off his awesome nunchuku skills to Coleen and it genuinely looks worse than some fifteen year old who's been practising with his sweet new nunchuks all afternoon.

And then Coleen picks them up and oh look she practiced for the role

• Options
    I get the feeling those pre-release reviews have got y'all biased af.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nah

I'm biased as fuck towards wanting an Iron Fist show to be the best thing ever but the moment Danny is condescending to a homeless man is the moment i know this is kind of dogshit

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Kashaar wrote: »

or people could be forming their own opinions by watching the show

• Options

I didn't read any of them so

no

Like I'm sorry you like this dogshit show. I apologise on behalf of your palate.

• Options

or people could be forming their own opinions by watching the show

That can't be it!

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

He was cast like three months before they started shooting. So he had very little time to learn martial arts and get in shape.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It's fortunate for Danny that Ward is as much of a dumbass as he is

• Options
    It sounds like it was more the production's fault than his then.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is bothered by this

Maybe it's unreasonable to expect every actor who plays a superhero to become shredded like lettuce, but when your character's whole deal is "I'm the world's best kung fu man" I expect you to look a certain fucking way

The guy playing Daredevil looked in way better shape

He was cast like three months before they started shooting. So he had very little time to learn martial arts and get in shape.

No shit?

Christ, they bungled this hard, didn't they

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    In a show where martial arts is a big focus...I don't understand how you could mess that part up so bad.

• Options
    It just points again to "they didn't give a shit". Like if you have three months to learn martial arts for a role you'd pretty much have to drill it five hours a day, every day with great stuntmen to be able to have a shot at not looking stupid. It doesn't look like they gave him that.

• Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    They obviously cranked this out to get straight to the Defenders release date.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I just hit a scene where he shows off his awesome nunchuku skills to Coleen and it genuinely looks worse than some fifteen year old who's been practising with his sweet new nunchuks all afternoon.

And then Coleen picks them up and oh look she practiced for the role

Colleen looked pretty bad at it too. That sequence made me completely cringe.

The thing is, there's a showrunner who had this script in their hands, and should have realized "uhh yeah this scene works fine as written, but it would require Danny and Colleen's actors to do this themselves, and they wouldn't be able to make it convincing. We're producing a TV show here, we can't spend 2 weeks making this scene work." And then they would've found some other way to communicate the same character beats in a way that didn't suck. Like, nunchucks, really? Those fucking things basically always look goofy anyway, now you're basing a scene around them?

The whole show feels like they got the first draft of scripts, went, "Eh good enough" and just moved straight on to filming. There are so many basic issues with production challenges (figure out a reason to put Danny in a mask for gods sake) and with pacing that should have been fixed before filming started.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    That three months thing changes everything. I feel really bad for him now, before I figured it was just a lazy performance. I think the Daredevil guy had previous martial arts experience?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Every problem with this series can be boiled down to "they announced that they were doing it and they announced the follow-up series before they bothered to find someone that had any ideas for an Iron Fist series." They're doing that with the MCU, too, where they announced stuff like Captain Marvel and they...have they announced a director yet?

• Options
    One of the consistent issues I have with it is that Danny hasn't been shown to be able to kick any ass. He frequently has what seem like challenging fights against guys who are just... guys. If there's a henchman who's over 200lbs, he's going to give Danny a rough time. I don't know much about Iron Fist, but I feel like he should probably be able to kick the ass of any regular guy very quickly. Daredevil is just regular Good At Fighting with some limited sense powers and he comes across as much more effective than this. I don't think they really considered what a credible threat to Danny would look like, so they just throw in occasional Bigger Than Average people for one on one fights.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Every problem with this series can be boiled down to "they announced that they were doing it and they announced the follow-up series before they bothered to find someone that had any ideas for an Iron Fist series." They're doing that with the MCU, too, where they announced stuff like Captain Marvel and they...have they announced a director yet?

To be fair, I think you can announce all the shit you want

It's their adherence to a previously announced schedule that's fucked this thing up

If they had simply said "yeah Defenders will be the big finale whenever Iron Fist is finally finished" then it wouldn't be a problem, they could take all the time they needed to produce a show

But they needed to bang this thing out because god help them if they delayed production on anything

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I think a great Luke Cage/Danny Rand relationship could save this one. Having Luke there to call him on his shit... then again, Luke doesn't really do that to people in the show so far? But yeah, Danny gradually learning what a cock he is could be a good arc.