Options

Southpaw Regional [chat] is the coolest ever

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    but for real, what's the "traditional" birds and Bees talk?

i'm just really confused here.

My parents gave me the "penises and vaginas" talk early on and then i got comprehensive sex ed.......
    Mine was "the penis goes into the Vagina. Here is a dirty mag to give you an overview of the mechanics. Keep it I don't want it back."
    Then school sex ed was all just pictures of STDs and wear a condom you filthy heathen.

zepherin on
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    WHATEVER IM GOING SOMEWHERE WHERE MY GENIUS IS APPRECIATED BARF >:(

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Doves are monogamous or something

Isn't that a myth though? I dunno birds are creepy.

Birds are monogamous at a higher rate than basically any other clade, however, a lot of the data on it was performed by relatively stuffy old men who would willfully misinterpret things that went against their narrative (I am reminded of a (possibly apocryphal) anecdote of some scientists observing a male orangutan giving oral sex to another male orangutan, and concluding that he must have needed nutrition), and as far as I know, a lot of the monogamous birds are monogamous because they pair up for one mating season.

That said some birds are totally monogamous, and I'm pretty sure way more are than mammals (I think mammals are at like 5%)

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hey chatbros, would it be the worst if I asked you guys to use gender-neutral pronouns for me? I understand people really fucking hate singular 'they' for various reasons, so if it bothers you and/or you can't reconcile that with your mental image of me, you totally don't have to and I won't be offended.

But I figure that's a thing that I do, in fact, want, so I might as well ask.

Of course!

I am v interested in what motivates people to make this decision, though, and having met some pretty starkly different folks who prefer "they" I'm even more curious now

Hilariously, I have found that the difficulty of using it mostly manifests when the person isn't around, as singular "they" is typically used for an unidentified or non-specific person, so you get a lot of "that's what they said!" "Wait, who said?"

I can't provide the full justification at the moment; need to work some stuff out first.

But basically, I think it adequately reflects the reality of how I look and where I'm at mentally?
    Plus I super-hate being female so if I can impose my will on reality a little bit and make that slightly less so just by word choice, even only in certain spaces, I mean...why not, right? (Except for the fact that it's so very millennial, and awkward to get used to).

I call everyone "dude".

Or other varying vulgarities.

But "dude" for the people I like.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

My parents gave me the "penises and vaginas" talk early on and then i got comprehensive sex ed.......

I think my parents may have asked if I had questions and offered to provide like, academic materials, but I was probably too embarrassed to take them up on it because they are my parents and then I turned into the depraved sex maniac you all know today.

Causal relation: certain.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I guess there are some racisms that I'm gonna let slide and pretend aren't happening. Oh well.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    America: We blur out nipples, but will show death on live televised news.

Our priorities are fucked.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Euphemism for "springtime", because America is ruthlessly puritanical when it comes to sex.

I. .. what? Can someone actually elaborate here? I just wanna know what birds and bees have to do with sex Ed.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Dude/Man/Bro is the title on my business card

Speaking of lying...

Does it say internet shitposter?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options

Euphemism for "springtime", because America is ruthlessly puritanical when it comes to sex.

I. .. what? Can someone actually elaborate here? I just wanna know what birds and bees have to do with sex Ed.

Springtime is known as sexy time in nature.

Birds and bees come back during the spring after winter.

Hence "birds and bees".

It's stupid, yes...

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Omg my friend compressed every nerve in his neck and has been curled into an agonized bundle for 36 hours

Doctors gave him some truly wonderful drugs

And he just.... slept in a weird position

Stay in shape, folks

• Options

it's the name of the talk because it's nature, it's not actually explained in the context of birds and bees as far as I have ever heard in my life. if it is I imagine the focus is pollination and mommy birds watching eggs as simple concepts kids already know that you then translate to male and female humans.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    Less than 24 hours left before our glorious full unlocking of Andromeda. Mmmmmm.

The PA comic today is about Andromeda. I laughed.

• Options

Its literally just a euphemism. Anything relevant that it may have had is from previous generations.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The "talk" for me came after I had surgery and while out of it on drugs, my ma found my stash of nudi mags that my older friend down the street had stolen for me. (Not that I needed that. I'd been raiding my dad's stack of nudi mags for years)

After I fully recovered. She was like, "We found some adult magazines in your room. If you need to ask any questions, you know you can" I never did. Penthouse and the scrambled Spice channel had taught me what I needed to know.

• Options
    BUT NOW

I LEAVE AGAIN! >:(

• Options

Hence "birds and bees".

It's stupid, yes...

this doesn't seem that stupid to me. but I am old.

spring is a time of rebirth. that's a constant in loads of cultures for a long time and is actually a fact of nature.

right? Or am I blinded by Big Birds and Bees

• Options
    Variable wrote: »

Hence "birds and bees".

It's stupid, yes...

spring is a time of rebirth. that's a constant in loads of cultures for a long time and is actually a fact of nature.

Big Puritanism has got you in their pocket.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Birds and Bees are part of nature, as is reproduction

And yeah, bees are covered in pollen all the time and birds have eggs all the time and that's vaguely the same thing as human reproduction if you squint

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2017

Bee pollination is a very wholesome but perhaps misleading way to introduce sexual reproduction (of plants). Birds with large external eggs are a good way to introduce incubation and development of a baby.

It's all about explaining the processes of sexual reproduction without the ding-dongs and fannies and cream pies.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Elki wrote: »
    Less than 24 hours left before our glorious full unlocking of Andromeda. Mmmmmm.

The PA comic today is about Andromeda. I laughed.

Hahaha, on man that's good.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Dude/Man/Bro is the title on my business card

Speaking of lying...

Does it say internet shitposter?

Nexus is not restricted in his shitposting medium.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

springtime is the time of the year when a lot of sex happens in nature. birds and bees start appearing in springtime first, so it's the "you know, wink wink nudge nudge" idiom.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Variable wrote: »

Hence "birds and bees".

It's stupid, yes...

Big Puritanism has got you in their pocket.

Look at this smug sonofabitch

220px-Quaker_Oats_logo_2017.png

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Bee pollination is a very wholesome but perhaps misleading way to introduce sexual reproduction (of plants). Birds with large external eggs are a good way to introduce incubation and development of a baby.

It's all about explaining the processes of sexual reproduction without the ding-dongs and fannies and cream pies.

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

This reminded me of the Asain Cream Pie ep of Always sunny

now i am laughing at work

• Options
    Julius wrote: »

springtime is the time of the year when a lot of sex happens in nature. birds and bees start appearing in springtime first, so it's the "you know, wink wink nudge nudge" idiom.

Basically it's sparing parents from having to feel uncomfortable so their children remain confused until they find out on their own.

It's a shit way to do things, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Doves are monogamous or something

Isn't that a myth though? I dunno birds are creepy.

Birds are monogamous at a higher rate than basically any other clade, however, a lot of the data on it was performed by relatively stuffy old men who would willfully misinterpret things that went against their narrative (I am reminded of a (possibly apocryphal) anecdote of some scientists observing a male orangutan giving oral sex to another male orangutan, and concluding that he must have needed nutrition), and as far as I know, a lot of the monogamous birds are monogamous because they pair up for one mating season.

That said some birds are totally monogamous, and I'm pretty sure way more are than mammals (I think mammals are at like 5%)

I think a lot of it is the distinction between sexual monogamy and social monogamy.

https://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/bwdsite/solve/faqs/do-birds-mate-for-life.php
    But genetic testing of songbird nestlings, even in socially monogamous species, shows that the father who sired them isn’t necessarily the one who is helping to rear them. In other words, a socially monogamous female songbird sometimes “cheats” on the male with whom she has a bond. And her socially monogamous mate may have fathered eggs in other nests.

Sometimes a female bird carrying an egg fathered by her bonded mate, will lay that egg in a different nest of the same species. So when you happen upon a songbird nest full of eggs — even of a socially monogamous species — you can’t be sure who is the biologic father — or mother — of those eggs.

In other words, socially monogamous birds are not necessarily faithful partners, but they care for each other and for the young of their nest. Rearing young together does not imply sexual fidelity. Studies of eastern bluebirds have found that nests with mixed parentage — that is, they have eggs by more than one father, or more than one mother, or both — are not uncommon.

Between one in 10 and one in three eggs in a female cardinal’s nest has genes that don’t match her partner, and less commonly, they don’t even match her own. But because of that pair bond to rear the young, they are considered socially monogamous.

According to The Birder’s Handbook, “It is perhaps best simply to consider monogamy as a social pattern in which one male and one female associate during the breeding season, and not to make too many assumptions about fidelity or parentage.”

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Listen you fuckshit -

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    "Sweetie, it's time to talk about the birds and the bees."

"Ok, mommy."

"Bees are dying. You can't ever have sex because of Monsanto."

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

Ahh that makes sense. Thanks.

Ding dongs, fannies, and cream pies all sound like Hostess products.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    since when is a 46% movie good or a 59% great? movie review scores operate on a similar curve to video games, maybe just with ~10% more slack.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I didn't think the quakers were puritans. They were superficially similar (plain dress, very devout, left england to practice faith more freely) but the quakers were total bros about almost everything while the puritans were holding witch trials and shit.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I pieced together the mechanics of sex with biology class, health class, and peppered in some porn.

If you put the porn first you're gonna have a bad time.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good?

Since people stopped being snobby cultural elites p10

• Options
    I didn't think the quakers were puritans. They were superficially similar (plain dress, very devout, left england to practice faith more freely) but the quakers were total bros about almost everything while the puritans were holding witch trials and shit.

Don't believe their lies

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

"Mine was the penis goes into the Vagina. Here is a dirty mag to give you an overview of the mechanics. Keep it I don't want it back."

Seriously? that is kinda fucked up.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    since when is a 46% movie good?

Since people stopped being snobby cultural elites p10
    people are trash

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.