Options

Mass Effect Andromeda: Pathfinder, I've detected a thread that you can post in

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Hermano wrote: »
    It feels like they buffed Overload a little from the previous games-

I've got a guess as to why this is occurring.

It seems to happen right when the enemy is doing a ledge scramble animation, which typically is a transition animation between two states. The character controller itself is likely ungrounded and tied to the animation's root, which probably doesn't actually move with it during this animation so that the collider doesn't end up clipping through unpredictable geometry, but rather snaps from state to state at some point in the transition. If the Overload power adds an upward force or a multiplier of some kind and just happens to hit it during the phase when the animator's root is snapping from one state to the other and that is what it is using to calculate velocity, then it's going to fucking fling them like mad. Theoretically it's a simple fix, but it could actually get really complicated really quickly, and is a bit of an edge case without a particularly disastrous result if left as-is, so I can see why a bug like that would get left as a lower-priority solve that ended up in a shipped title.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Also it's fucking funny. I guarantee some QA dudes figured out how to reproduce that issue and spent half a day doing their best to see how far they could fling a dude.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    When I finished the game I think I used like 4 consumables. And most of that was just to be sure not a dire need.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also it's fucking funny. I guarantee some QA dudes figured out how to reproduce that issue and spent half a day doing their best to see how far they could fling a dude.

It totally reminds me of ME1 where you could launch things into orbit.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    end of Voeld:
    Fighting an architect in a level 2 hazard area sure is something special

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »
    end of Voeld:

That plus my level made that the hardest one I had to take down by far, felt like a real accomplishment.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    end of Voeld:
    There are heat thingers in the buildings as well as ammo crates. Just run from building to building only pausing long enough to refill your life support bar.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    It feels like they buffed Overload a little from the previous games-

I've got a guess as to why this is occurring.

It seems to happen right when the enemy is doing a ledge scramble animation, which typically is a transition animation between two states. The character controller itself is likely ungrounded and tied to the animation's root, which probably doesn't actually move with it during this animation so that the collider doesn't end up clipping through unpredictable geometry, but rather snaps from state to state at some point in the transition. If the Overload power adds an upward force or a multiplier of some kind and just happens to hit it during the phase when the animator's root is snapping from one state to the other and that is what it is using to calculate velocity, then it's going to fucking fling them like mad. Theoretically it's a simple fix, but it could actually get really complicated really quickly, and is a bit of an edge case without a particularly disastrous result if left as-is, so I can see why a bug like that would get left as a lower-priority solve that ended up in a shipped title.

That's really interesting, thanks. I guessed it had something to do with the climbing animation, but had no idea why that would cause a bug like that

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I have three planets at 100% viability, and I just figured out how to use consumables.

:#

I didn't learn how to evade until about hour 35!

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I've been hit by the banter bug. I heard clearing out the journal could help, but it still shows as having new entries when I've been through it three times.

And now after a little bit more of playing, one of the completed missions won't get rid of it's exclamation point
    It fuckin would be the space pot dealer one

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Asari Ark.
    Oh man I felt like a big dang hero after that!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited March 2017
    End of Voeld:
    What did you do with the AI?

I let the angaran die. He knew that she was an AI, and still tried to forcibly grab at her and steal her consciousness away. I do wish he wouldn't have died, but I'm not going to kill the AI over defending herself.

The AI also asked to be with me, and Jaal agreed with it, so I kept it with SAM.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I skipped over pull, but earlier today I saw someone using it in MP

and, well, my pathfinder fucking needs it for her build

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    End of Voeld:

I let the angaran die. He knew that she was an AI, and still tried to forcibly grab at her and steal her consciousness away. I'm not going to kill the AI over defending herself.

The AI also asked to be with me, and Jaal agreed with it, so I kept it with SAM.

I actually did the other, then reloaded it because it felt wrong

It's the only time I've done that

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Kallo and Gil
    I side with Gil in their conflict. Kallo just cares about how the tempest was designed, Gil seems to care about how it works. I just can't side with Kallo.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    Kallo and Gil
    I side with Gil in their conflict. Kallo just cares about how the tempest was designed, Gil seems to care about how it works. I just can't side with Kallo.
    I can side with Kallo because Gil beat me in poker that one time.

• Options
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Kallo and Gil
    I can side with Kallo because Gil beat me in poker that one time.
    I used SAM to cheat and beat Gil.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Kallo and Gil
    I think Gil wrongfully considers his technical skills to be more substantial than a whole team of engineers, scientists, and other spacecraft design personnel. He needs to work with Kallo, and the original design work IMO, not against it.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I will be honest.

Some of the "banter bug" stuff and some of the proposed solutions seem very... how to put this...

Psychosomatic?

Like is there even an actual bug here, like there was in DAI, or are people just hitting stretches of driving around in the Nomad without squad banter and assuming "oh, I must have this bug too!"

Some of the solutions are like... no, the game doesn't work like that. If that's an actual bug fix then something is catastrophically awry with the underlying code for how those conversation clips trigger.

I barely noticed any squad banter at all for the first like, 30 hours of my first play through, and that's the kind of thing that might make someone think there's something wrong with the game...

...except, I also fast-traveled all the fucking time, and I was constantly getting into shit (fights, starting new quests, etc.) and it's like... when would that banter even happen?

Around the 30 hour mark I stopped fast traveling so dang much and holy shit, what surprise there was banter!

Before jumping to the conclusion your game is BROKEN and trying some weird "run up and down the coast to find Mew" type hornswaggle that came from GameFAQs, consider the following:

1. Are you fast traveling a lot?
    2. Do you often only drive the Nomad from quest point to quest point and are getting out a lot to fight and do other shit?
    3. Is there other audio queues you keep running into (like SAM yammering about mining areas)?

If the answer to all three is "yes" you probably don't have some catastrophic game bug denying you that hilar party banter. You're just not being patient or playing in a way that's conductive to hearing it.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Dubh wrote: »
    Kallo and Gil
    I think Gil wrongfully considers his technical skills to be more substantial than a whole team of engineers, scientists, and other spacecraft design personnel. He needs to work with Kallo, and the original design work IMO, not against it.
    I agree with that, but my impression of Kallo is "The design was and is perfect, and nothing that could ever be done to it could ever improve it because we made it and it's perfect!" while Gil, even though he isn't working with Kallo on this, actually recognizes that the Tempest, like everything in existence, could be improved, and I feel like he would work with Kallo if Kallo recognized there were room for adjustments.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    Kallo and Gil
    I agree with that, but my impression of Kallo is "The design was and is perfect, and nothing that could ever be done to it could ever improve it because we made it and it's perfect!" while Gil, even though he isn't working with Kallo on this, actually recognizes that the Tempest, like everything in existence, could be improved.
    Gil also fucks around with the ship while you are in space which could go catastrophically wrong.

He's a cowboy and he's a prick about it.

Kallo also has emotional investment in the ship itself and how it operates, all of his friends who are now dead helped build it in a very specific way, and Gil has no respect for that and says "you won't be needing this!" and fucks with shit, and is an asshole to Kallo about it.

Gil sucks. He's a shitty archetype that is common in sci fi but in real life makes for a shit head person and a terrible engineer.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Yeah, I agree
    Pony wrote: »
    I will be honest.

Some of the "banter bug" stuff and some of the proposed solutions seem very... how to put this...

Psychosomatic?

Like is there even an actual bug here, like there was in DAI, or are people just hitting stretches of driving around in the Nomad without squad banter and assuming "oh, I must have this bug too!"

Some of the solutions are like... no, the game doesn't work like that. If that's an actual bug fix then something is catastrophically awry with the underlying code for how those conversation clips trigger.

I barely noticed any squad banter at all for the first like, 30 hours of my first play through, and that's the kind of thing that might make someone think there's something wrong with the game...

...except, I also fast-traveled all the fucking time, and I was constantly getting into shit (fights, starting new quests, etc.) and it's like... when would that banter even happen?

Around the 30 hour mark I stopped fast traveling so dang much and holy shit, what surprise there was banter!

Before jumping to the conclusion your game is BROKEN and trying some weird "run up and down the coast to find Mew" type hornswaggle that came from GameFAQs, consider the following:

1. Are you fast traveling a lot?
    2. Do you often only drive the Nomad from quest point to quest point and are getting out a lot to fight and do other shit?
    3. Is there other audio queues you keep running into (like SAM yammering about mining areas)?

If the answer to all three is "yes" you probably don't have some catastrophic game bug denying you that hilar party banter. You're just not being patient or playing in a way that's conductive to hearing it.
    There is 100% a bug

I have driven the entirety of Elaaden and Kadara with 0 banter lines outside of context prompted one's (ie, driving by the ship on Elaaden, etc.) with multiple different combos of party members.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Kallo and Gil
    I agree with that, but my impression of Kallo is "The design was and is perfect, and nothing that could ever be done to it could ever improve it because we made it and it's perfect!" while Gil, even though he isn't working with Kallo on this, actually recognizes that the Tempest, like everything in existence, could be improved.
    Gil also fucks around with the ship while you are in space which could go catastrophically wrong.

He's a cowboy and he's a prick about it.

Kallo also has emotional investment in the ship itself and how it operates, all of his friends who are now dead helped build it in a very specific way, and Gil has no respect for that and says "you won't be needing this!" and fucks with shit, and is an asshole to Kallo about it.

Gil sucks. He's a shitty archetype that is common in sci fi but in real life makes for a shit head person and a terrible engineer.
    1 - that happened all the time with the normandy. When a ship could be in space for weeks or months you have to make adjustments on the move. Also, all of these conversations, including the one that precipitated this post from me, happened right after taking off from a planet, implying a lot of this work was done while docked.

2 - Okay, I agree he's a prick.

3 - I don't see a point for that. It's a starship and it's job is surviving and performing in (and this is the important part) environments that are dramatically different than it was designed for. I don't see the sentimentality that Kallo has as a deciding factor on what work should be considered/undertaken on it.

The sentimentality of the designer is for the pub, not in the drawing room.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    I guess!

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Its kinda super weird that you're assuming that everyone is making up an imaginary bug when there is a documented bug of the exact same type in the previous game from Bioware and like half a dozen people are having the same issue in this thread alone

This game's buggy as hell, dude, it ain't a surprise that this is one of them

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2017
    I guess!

It seems pretty rude to imply people don't know shit from Shinola and then drop this response. Like Blank I've gone two planets now with no banter, and with this feeling like it was built on the skeleton of DA:I I'm not surprised there are persistent bugs.

A duck! on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    It is definitely a thing. I 100%'d three planets without a single party banter, even for companions that I had never paired up before. That's like, 30+ hours of gameplay. Contrast that to Eos and Voeld, where I was regularly getting conversations.

Also Bioware's said on twitter that a fix is coming in a patch, so it is indeed a bug.

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ok, I was wrong and I apologise.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I think right now the most frustrating bug I'm dealing with is one with sync kills. If I get hit by one I don't actually die and go to a game over screen, I get a black screen with my UI still showing, and I can even issue commands to my teammates. However, I never recover from it and I can't access the menu, so I have to Alt+F4 and relaunch every single time it happens.

• Options
    A steak! wrote: »
    I think right now the most frustrating bug I'm dealing with is one with sync kills. If I get hit by one I don't actually die and go to a game over screen, I get a black screen with my UI still showing, and I can even issue commands to my teammates. However, I never recover from it and I can't access the menu, so I have to Alt+F4 and relaunch every single time it happens.

This has happened to me too

Sync kills are trash in both single and multi

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    End of Voeld:

I let the angaran die. He knew that she was an AI, and still tried to forcibly grab at her and steal her consciousness away. I'm not going to kill the AI over defending herself.

I actually did the other, then reloaded it because it felt wrong

It's the only time I've done that

I did the other but was satisfied with my decision
    SAM said the other AI was lying multiple times. Maybe in the interest of self-preservation...but I don't need that kinda drama in my entourage.

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Careening around one planet, I managed to launch the Nomad into huge gorge.

I also learned you can pull off a Tempest extraction from the Nomad in mid air.

Yukira on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I've only been sync killed once in single player, and it did the game over screen just fine

it just...wouldn't load up afterwards, until I went to a slightly earlier save

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Its kinda super weird that you're assuming that everyone is making up an imaginary bug when there is a documented bug of the exact same type in the previous game from Bioware and like half a dozen people are having the same issue in this thread alone

Speaking of buggy as hell, I just shot a dude who then proceeded to SPLIT into three other dudes

Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I don't doubt the bugs exist but I have not seen any so far so I guess I'm just blind, or lucky, or both. I also see nothing wrong with the animations either so I'm probably just broken.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Speaking of buggy as hell, I just shot a dude who then proceeded to SPLIT into three other dudes

There are some interesting ways the game spawns enemies. Eichor falling from the sky, things like that. Occasionally, the game will spawn 3-5 identical enemies overlapping each other. I first noticed this when, being a sniper, I killed an Assembler at long range, thus not triggering aggression, and got very confused when I looked back and saw it was still alive. So, I shot it again, only to find it was still alive. Turned out it was just multiple Assemblers on top of each other. That may have been what happened with you.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options

M A S S E F F E C T

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

There are some interesting ways the game spawns enemies. Eichor falling from the sky, things like that. Occasionally, the game will spawn 3-5 identical enemies overlapping each other. I first noticed this when, being a sniper, I killed an Assembler at long range, thus not triggering aggression, and got very confused when I looked back and saw it was still alive. So, I shot it again, only to find it was still alive. Turned out it was just multiple Assemblers on top of each other. That may have been what happened with you.
    I got a nice quad kill in 3 shots with my piercing valiant that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Kadara Vault spoilers
    From this one hexagonal platform, jump just doesn't work. I hit it, the animation and sound activate, but there's no lift. This keeps making me throw myself into the pool of sulfuric water surrounding it.

Hilariously this also meant I got caught by the purification cloud as I was trying to escape. Absolutely nothing happened. It just went away and I left at a leisurely pace.

Firefighters quest line
    This was a frustrating one. Unless the game was supposed to be more lenient and I hit a bug, I locked myself in to the bad end by simply pulling up my scanner, once. Put it away immediately, didn't actually SCAN anything although I got some dialog implying I did after reading a datapad. Talked around, made the thing for Alain, got the codeword from him and headed for the terminal. Once that's done, everyone goes nuts and tries to kill me. As a side note, Alain is completely unfazed by this if you poke him after murdering everyone else in the building.

Then I head to the Nexus, it tells me something about one of the blasts going off in Hydroponics but it looks exactly the same, find the EMPs, confront Knight, and any dialogue option to appeal to her better nature through helping Alain is apparently left off because of the firefight. All cuz I hit D-pad down. Whoops.

And one more, Drack's personal quest(s):
    If there was an ending cutscene to the whole thing with Spender, I missed it as he went into the conversation about the krogan seed vault getting stolen instead, but the previous quest completion flag still got set

Ilpala on
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I just had the best bug I've ever seen

(Drack quest titled "Knock 'em Down" spoilers)
    The only noise in the entire barfight was the voice work

Literally no other sound effects

So it was a fight sequence that literally just had the voice actors grunting, and that's it

This discussion has been closed.