Options

A Thread About [Pointless Arguments]

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My argument about music is that whatever garbage you were listening to between 15-18 was the best because it most likely impacted you the hardest.

Yes you can discover music later but you are what you listened to.

I disagree. Most everything I listened to at that age was emo as fuck and I've learned that there is better music than Linkin Park.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    As long as we can all agree that the Doors were a shit band who are only popular at all because Jim Morrison died before people could figure out how shit they really were.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Star Wars vs Star Trek in battle entirely depends on how much you allow EU tech manuals. Because in Trek we see weapons stripping the crust from a planet with a fleet of 20 ships - a third of the crust in five seconds, and expecting to strip the whole thing to the core in five orbits. In Wars we see ice caves surviving direct strikes. But the tech manuals tell us the weapons used in that scene of Empire Strikes Back have yields of something like 9 gigatons, which should do more damage than the entire fleet in The Die Is Cast. Screen depiction vs screen depiction, Trek wins all day minus what planets the Death Star hits before they put a transphasic torpedo in it's thermal exhaust port. But tech manuals included, Star Destroyers should be literally destroying stars, no need for the Death Star, where Trek actually might lose power going by tech manuals.

Hevach on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    My argument about music is that whatever garbage you were listening to between 15-18 was the best because it most likely impacted you the hardest.

Yes you can discover music later but you are what you listened to.

I disagree. Most everything I listened to at that age was emo as fuck and I've learned that there is better music than Linkin Park.

I was big into nu-metal during that time.

I am no longer into nu-metal at all.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I mostly do not remember what I listened to at 15-18 because it was mostly white noise pop/whatever was on a top-40 station and now I have stuff I like because I looked for it.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    Hevach wrote: »
    Star Wars vs Star Trek in battle entirely depends on how much you allow EU tech manuals. Because in Trek we see weapons stripping the crust from a planet with a fleet of 20 ships - a third of the crust in five seconds, and expecting to strip the whole thing to the core in five orbits. In Wars we see ice caves surviving direct strikes. But the tech manuals tell us the weapons used in that scene of Empire Strikes Back have yields of something like 9 gigatons, which should do more damage than the entire fleet in The Die Is Cast. Screen depiction vs screen depiction, Trek wins all day minus what planets the Death Star hits before they put a transphasic torpedo in it's thermal exhaust port. But tech manuals included, Star Destroyers should be literally destroying stars, no need for the Death Star, where Trek actually might lose power going by tech manuals.

I love how whoever was in charge of writing up numbers basically threw darts at an SI board to pick prefixes.

"Sure, petawatts per small turbolaser shot, whatever"

Shivahn on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hotake: Linkin Park makes some perfectly enjoyable music, as do most of the other bands listed on Wikipedia under nu-metal. I unironically love Air Raid Vehicle and Last Resort.

Same goes for AFI (17 Crimes, Miss Murder), My Chemical Romance (Teenagers, most of Three Cheers), 30 Seconds To Mars (The Kill, This Is War), etc.

I need to start wearing headphones again, I forgot how much I like stuff.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular

Pfff. The Culture would pacify both in a few days and probably without even having to inflict casualties.
    Granted, in the case of the Federation, Contact would probably just give a series of lectures on how the prime directive is bad before trying to convince the Federation to join up.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Hotake: Linkin Park makes some perfectly enjoyable music, as do most of the other bands listed on Wikipedia under nu-metal. I unironically love Air Raid Vehicle and Last Resort.

Same goes for AFI (17 Crimes, Miss Murder), My Chemical Romance (Teenagers, most of Three Cheers), 30 Seconds To Mars (The Kill, This Is War), etc.

MCR and That whole Black Parade album was great. I even liked Fabulous Killjoys that came after it. Cancer still gets to me, especially now when I've seen it effect so many close to me in the last few years.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    mrondeau wrote: »

Pfff. The Culture would pacify both in a few days and probably without even having to inflict casualties.
    Granted, in the case of the Federation, Contact would probably just give a series of lectures on how the prime directive is bad before trying to convince the Federation to join up.

The Culture would just peacefully assimilate the entire Federation because it's the Federation without the dogmatic hangups or prudishness

With the empire they'd just chip it apart piece by piece as planetary systems were like "hey we'd like to join" and they fell under the umbrella of protection (they wouldn't have to fight the empire since their technology is magic to even star wars' magic technology)

I think Star Trek missed out by never having the Federation encounter another version of itself that was more benevolent. The closest we came was the Dominion, which is the Federation but evil

override367 on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular

MCR and That whole Black Parade album was great. I even liked Fabulous Killjoys that came after it. Cancer still gets to me, especially now when I've seen it effect so many close to me in the last few years.
    I actually don't know most of their stuff since I only had the one album, but I would not be opposed to checking out more.

Oh, and I forgot another popular one: Fallout Boy! I think My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark is p. great.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The Culture would just peacefully assimilate the entire Federation because it's the Federation without the dogmatic hangups or prudishness

With the empire they'd just chip it apart piece by piece as planetary systems were like "hey we'd like to join" and they fell under the umbrella of protection (they wouldn't have to fight the empire since their technology is magic to even star wars' magic technology)

I think Star Trek missed out by never having the Federation encounter another version of itself that was more benevolent. The closest we came was the Dominion, which is the Federation but evil

The Culture vs the Borg would be amusing. Like there's a decent chance one of the Minds would just hijack the whole damn collective.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Contact with the United Federation of Planets was carried out by GSV We All Know What You're Doing in the Holodecks.

The Federation joined in record time. We All Know... stated afterwards that it had never seen such a delightful collection of degenerates.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The Culture vs the Borg would be amusing. Like there's a decent chance one of the Minds would just hijack the whole damn collective.

they'd probably free every single drone and give them counseling and drug glands to deal with the PTSD and offer to help rebuild all of the fallen civilizations that former drones are from

from what I gather in the books, such a challenge would delight the minds

If any wished to create a new collective, or collectives, they wouldn't stop them either

edit: hell a fair number of culture citizens would probably want to join a collective after the whole borg business, it would probably become a fashion in the culture for a few hundred years

override367 on
  • Options
    RIP Ian Banks :(

I hope someday we can have a world as free from troubles as you imagined.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    It's kind of surprising how few authors envision an actual utopian society without some kind of dark ulterior motive

• Options

they'd probably free every single drone and give them counseling and drug glands to deal with the PTSD and offer to help rebuild all of the fallen civilizations that former drones are from

from what I gather in the books, such a challenge would delight the minds

If any wished to create a new collective, or collectives, they wouldn't stop them either

edit: hell a fair number of culture citizens would probably want to join a collective after the whole borg business, it would probably become a fashion in the culture for a few hundred years

I expect the Minds in charge of dealing with the collective would take it over for a while for a few minutes. You know, for fun.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It's kind of surprising how few authors envision an actual utopian society without some kind of dark ulterior motive

I mean the Culture wasn't all sun shine and roses but their bad stuff was like "pretty manipulative" and having a faction that is pretty psycho on defense.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Given the world we live in....

We could feed and house every human being on Earth right now and it wouldn't even be that hard.

But we don't.

Humans have no reason to believe in benevolent societies.

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I love how whoever was in charge of writing up numbers basically threw darts at an SI board to pick prefixes.

"Sure, petawatts per small turbolaser shot, whatever"

Always felt more to me like they read the TNG manual and upped everything by one or two prefixes to win this exact argument. A photon torpedo is 65 megatons, calculated from how many grams of antimatter the show said it contained. A proton torpedo has a yield of 135 teratons, calculated from NO YOU SHUT UP NERD.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If we're going EU for Trek vs Wars then also remember that Wars has a little dealie known as the Sun Crusher. The Death Star destroys entire planets. The Sun Crusher wipes out entire solar systems by detonating their stars.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Trek has the same thing. It fits in a device the size of a brief case (Soran's was a torpedo, but Changeling Bashir's was portable) and is made out of a waste product of warp drives, which was why Sisko had some just sitting around to poison a Maquis planet so nerds could have ANOTHER pointless argument about that.

Edit: actually Trek has several. There's also protomatter and the Tox Uhtat, the latter being a small hand held device from the future. And at some point the Trek EU decided you could just fly into a star at warp for a free supernova.

Hevach on
  • Options

I mean the Culture wasn't all sun shine and roses but their bad stuff was like "pretty manipulative" and having a faction that is pretty psycho on defense.

Well it's an ongoing debate, perhaps the ongoing debate of their entire society: how much do we interfere? how many people do we let die to avoid killing someone?

The fact that it's not a settled question makes them far better than the Federation where the answer is always "none" and "all of them"

• Options

I actually don't know most of their stuff since I only had the one album, but I would not be opposed to checking out more.

Oh, and I forgot another popular one: Fallout Boy! I think My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark is p. great.

Their first CD is garage garbage, but the second and third was pretty good.

If you like Fallout Boy, Panic! at the Disco is your thing:

https://youtu.be/7qFF2v8VsaA

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I still listen to Linken Park, Fallout Boy, My Chemical Romance etc. It just happens to be sharing space on my Spotify playlists with stuff like Kamelot, Iced Earth, Sabaton, Evanescence, Nightwish, Skies of Arcadia soundtrack, Ken Ashcorp, etc.

If nightcore was on Spotify I'd add some of that too. My taste in music is eclectic and I'm fine with that.

• Options
    Sabaton is definitely the greatest band at producing awesome workout music that I feel somewhat emotionally conflicted about if I think too much about it.

I tell myself they're the Metal Slug of music.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    I still listen to a ton of grunge and 90s stuff, because that was what I was listening to when I started to form my own musical tastes.

before that it was just whatever my parents listened to, but right then is when I started to listen to things because I liked them.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I'm a total music pleb. I mostly listen to soundtracks and instrumental music, and don't really know the names of any bands. Music genres sound like an impenetrable kudzu to me.

I'm pretty sure most people would laugh at me if they saw my playlists :P.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Here's the best definition of sport I made up in 15 minutes.

A sport is any activity with clearly defined rules and those rules are regulated and enforced by a separate group or organization AND the activity is not done solely for any monetary compensation. My job has rules and metrics defined by the company but I'm doing it for the money so it is not a sport. Turkey calling, competitave eating, and staring contest are sports. Whether or not they are worthwhile is in the eye of the beholder.

EDIT: Yes I know this conversation died but "pointless" is in the thread title so whatever.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

that would be more immoral than just blowing them up. the culture is extremely squicked by mind control, no reason that wouldn't extend to hivemind control.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    The hivemind would probably want to merge with a Mind because it would be so much greater than even their collective consciousness

override367 on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    The hivemind would probably want to merge with a Mind because it would be so much greater than even their collective consciousness

that's more a Zetetic Elench move than Culture proper.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

that's more a Zetetic Elench move than Culture proper.

What ? No. The Zetetic Elench are all about them joining other people. This is other people joining them, the very opposite of the Zetetic Elench.
    Getting other people to join you is the Culture's thing.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    e: wrong thread

Aioua on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

As I said a while back, the question depends on who's telling the story:

If it's Roddenberry, the Culture chooses to voluntarily dissolve itself after Kirk (or some other captain) gives an impassioned speech about the need of the human spirit for challenge, significance, struggle and risk. What's the point of striving or even existing, when the Minds provide everything and humans are pets, irrelevant/obsolete, or both?
    If it's Banks, the Culture pats the Federation on the head and gives it a lolly.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    dumb post

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    It's called Best Mayonnaise not "Hellman's" and also Best is the worst.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I still listen to a ton of grunge and 90s stuff, because that was what I was listening to when I started to form my own musical tastes.

before that it was just whatever my parents listened to, but right then is when I started to listen to things because I liked them.

Same, pretty much. I am, at this moment, listening to the Moody Blues (because my parents did); but most of my library is 80s music (I've got about a decade on ya) including retro synthwave stuff being made now in that style, plus movie and game soundtracks, and some bits of trance/dnb/wtf-I-dunno-electronica-subgenres I've picked up here and there on the internet. (The latter is also where I get the totally random stuff, like Caramelldansen.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The greatest rock band in the world is obviously Tenacious D.

I thought they were just a tribute?

@Rhesus Positive Yes! Points!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Okay more arguments:

Which sport is football?

Which sport is more manly, hockey football rugby?

How American is apple pie?

And of course, "is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away? "