Options

[Star Wars Rebels] Season 4: May the Fourth Be With Uth

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to any character design overhauls for the next season. season 2 was already a big improvement.

I wonder how much more effort robes and stuff are, because in comparison to the Clone Wars there's a distinct lack of robes or or even long coats in Rebels. The only characters to have those and or long dresses are characters from the original trilogy.

I think that more has to do with the aesthetic they are going for with it being in the Rebellion era. Obi-wan stuck out because he wore a robe when no one else really did.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to any character design overhauls for the next season. season 2 was already a big improvement.

I wonder how much more effort robes and stuff are, because in comparison to the Clone Wars there's a distinct lack of robes or or even long coats in Rebels. The only characters to have those and or long dresses are characters from the original trilogy.

Ive noticed that too, but I had assumed it was a deliberate choice on the part of the animators. The overall look of the costumes are far more utilitarian than in Clone Wars, which makes sense given most of the cast are soldiers or rebels, often on the move and always working their behinds off to survive.

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a behind-the-scenes where they mention that the reason Anakin doesn't have his normal robes in the Hologram footage is because they didn't have the budget time for rendering the robes?

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

A fair amount of additional effort, generally anything that has to wave, flap, or react to the movement of something else takes several additional passes at the animation to make it look right (though flags can be pretty easy).

Personally I already think Hera's tentacle thingies are a little too springy, and that may be an indication that they don't have the time or budget to make a lot of additional passes. I think they tied them to physics/jiggle bones in the model to save time on the animation. Robes are more difficult and not really doable that way. There's physics systems for cloth, like Maya's nCloth or Unity colliders, but anyone who's played a game with cape physics knows that's not always reliable.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Season 2 opener was nuts.

I guess Ahsoka is a character from Clone Wars? I never watched that show, someone gimme the low down on who she is? She seems important! :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I guess Ahsoka is a character from Clone Wars? I never watched that show, someone gimme the low down on who she is? She seems important! :P

Quick run down:
    She was Anakin Skywalker's apprentice during the Clone Wars. Left the Jedi Order before Order 66 due to being framed for an attack and conspiracy. Felt the Order didn't support her or support its own ideals. Has a lot of Anakin's light side stuff about doing whats right no matter what and ignoring orders and such.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Watch Clone Wars if you can. The first two seasons are very kooky and prequelly but even those have some damn good moments and it gets surprisingly awesome surprisingly fast. It's mostly written by the same people as Rebels, and the director/showrunner is the same person.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

Watch Clone Wars if you can. The first two seasons are very kooky and prequelly but even those have some damn good moments and it gets surprisingly awesome surprisingly fast. It's mostly written by the same people as Rebels, and the director/showrunner is the same person.

The Clone Wars actually makes the prequels better retroactively.

The Jedi Order's treatment of Ahsoka makes Anakin's mistrust of them in Revenge of the Sith make way more sense.

• Options

The Clone Wars actually makes the prequels better retroactively.

The Jedi Order's treatment of Ahsoka makes Anakin's mistrust of them in Revenge of the Sith make way more sense.

100% agree with this, although even though it improves the prequels they're still not a patch on the show for me.

To this day whenever I think of Anakin Skywalker I think of Clone Wars Anakin. Movie Anakin just doesn't get a look in. He's not nearly so memorable.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Remember in ANH when Obi-Wan wistfully describes Anakin to Luke? And that there's a palpable sense of friendship and loss? That's Clone Wars Anakin.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I can't watch Clone Wars anymore because it tricks me into thinking the prequels can't be that bad. So then I get the urge to watch them and then yes they are that bad.

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    The clone wars Anakin is a great character, and you can see how he could be turned to into Vader: brash, arrogant, impulsive, but obviously a good guy (from a certain point of view). Everyone has their favorite arc, but the final Yoda one is just sublime.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Tigliss wrote: »
    Everyone has their favorite arc

Fives.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    He's also got that wickedly sarcastic sense of humor that Vader sometimes shows, particularly in ESB.

• Options
    Yeah Clone Wars Anakin has a legitimate path to the dark side.

Spoilers for the series and themes...
    Anakin wants order. He wants control. Between his life as a slave, the depravity of the clone wars,
    and how little power and control of his own life he has because of the Order he strives instead to enforce order on all. He also easily attaches to people. He is incredibly loyal to his friends. And each lost makes him angrier and more bitter.

By the end you see the Sith coming out. Use of force choke. His fighting becomes more about strength and rage. And each betrayal real or in his head adds up.

You can see how in the end he can join with the Emperor. The Emperor promises him control. A stable and peaceful universe in which no one can betray him. A place where its power is in his hands. And you can see how he becomes Vader.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Tigliss wrote: »
    The clone wars Anakin is a great character, and you can see how he could be turned to into Vader: brash, arrogant, impulsive, but obviously a good guy (from a certain point of view). Everyone has their favorite arc, but the final Yoda one is just sublime.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Anakin..."
    "What?"

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    My favorite part of that scene is that the bad guy and the music are both like, uh oh guys, who wants to fall prey to OMINOUS FORESHADOWING???

And meanwhile Anakin is just like, lol, what? He was going to blow up the ship you dummies. Ominous foreshadowing doesn't count when he wants to blow up the ship!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options

I may give it a look, depending on how hungry I am for more when I'm all caught up on Rebels. ;P

I guess Rex is a Clone Wars character too? The episode introducing those old Clone Troopers was probably the best one so far. Absolutely loved their home on the walky tank.

Oh brilliant
  • Options

I may give it a look, depending on how hungry I am for more when I'm all caught up on Rebels. ;P

I guess Rex is a Clone Wars character too? The episode introducing those old Clone Troopers was probably the best one so far. Absolutely loved their home on the walky tank.

Rex is one of the two clones that you know are going to survive the Clone Wars (the other one is Cody, who is in Revenge of the Sith). Every other clone is fair game to die a horrible death, no matter how great they are.

Let's raise a glass to Domino Squad, eh?

• Options

OMG the walky tank! :heartbeat: That was actually an older style Walker, the sort they would have come across all the time during the Clone Wars.

Yes, Rex is an AWESOME character in The Clone Wars cartoon. He is one of many, many awesome Clone characters in the show. It's one of the main reasons I recommend The Clone Wars. It fills in the back stories and characters and hopes and dreams and longings of those cannon fodder Clones and nameless Jedi you see in the prequels.

Order 66 was just a plot point for me when I saw the prequels, but now it moves me damn near to tears every time I watch it, because thanks to The Clone Wars it's a fucking tragedy. Not only have I grown to know and love all those Jedi, I've grown to know and love a bunch of the Clones pulling the trigger and those Clones and the Jedi have forged deep bonds and friendships and they can't help what they're doing and oh Gods here come the tears again!

• Options
    So presumably people who watched that episode after seeing Clone Wars already know Rex is a coolguy, and Kanan comes off as a prejudiced asshole for his distrust of the clones?

Cause as someone who was meeting these characters for the first time, I was totally on Kanan's side for much of that. Fuck clones.

That thing they mentioned about Rex and co tearing out their 'control chips' - was that before or after Order 66? Did they get lucky, remove them beforehand and so never got compelled to obey the order? Or was it after? D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Also a Clone Wars character? Saw Guerrera, who's in Rogue One.

• Options
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Hera just got to fly the first ever B-Wing. :O

has it always had that mini Death Star laser!?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Hera just got to fly the first ever B-Wing. :O

has it always had that mini Death Star laser!?

Nope, just the prototype.
    Presumably, the super laser was removed from the production models due to it's side effects.

Edit: Just remembered that we never actually saw the B-wing fire in RotJ to show one way or the other, so the super laser might still be cannon.
    Edit Edit: No, that pun was not intended, but I like it, so I'm keeping it.

see317 on
  • Options
    they've only done it a few times, but I love the shots of hyperdrives failing. There's the time they launch the Phantom while the Ghost is in hyperspace, or when the Imperial weapon pulls them out by force, and it's this crazy aurora effect, looks so cool. Wonder if they'll show that in the movies anytime. <3

Also, along those same lines, that Mandalore episode...
    when Hera's A-wing appears, completely wrecked. That's such a scary shot. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I love this Alan Rickman droid they just picked up.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it yet, but Sabine's hair colour change for season 2 was real cool. Her armour has a slight redesign too, the helmet ain't pink anymore. :<

Also also, I guess lightsabers have like a low power setting for sparring? Ezra and Kanan were practicing and the sound effects were totally different than usual? That's a neat detail, makes the scenes of kids playing with lightsabers in the PT less horrifying.

Ed Season 2 finale
    is this Darth Maul!?

I THINK ITS DARTH MAUL

Wow he's like a person with thoughts and a personality

WHAT THE FUCK

Did Maul just blind Kanan!?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Maul has a pretty big story arc in the clone wars cartoon

Also, like anakin, in the clone wars series he is made into an actual real character

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Maul showing up as this parody of Yoda in the S2 finale was just so perfect. One of my favorite moments of the season, probably my favorite non-Vader scene.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Just to explain a bit, this was revealed at the Rebels panel at Star Wars Celebration. The pic on the left is concept art for a Rex outfit next season.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Star Wars isn't the saga of the Skywalker family, it's the saga of Captain Rex.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    If Rex is the character that pops up all over the OT timeline like Maul with the PT that would be great.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    started season 3

holy shit Ezra has levelled up, huh?
    him taking control of the walker pilot to blow up his allies was equal parts awesome and terrifying. They're not being subtle about him being corrupted - "not leaving any witnesses"

I'm diggin' blind man Kanan. What's the thing he's wearing on his face, it looks like a bit of wood just sorta bolted onto his skull? There's no straps or anything holding it in place...

Sabine's new hair colour ain't as cool as S2's ;P

THRAWN WHAAAAT

About a character from Clone Wars
    how did Maul end up with regular looking legs again? From what artwork I've seen of him, he had crazy robo legs? Did he get bisected again? ;P

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    started season 3

him taking control of the walker pilot to blow up his allies was equal parts awesome and terrifying. They're not being subtle about him being corrupted - "not leaving any witnesses"

I'm diggin' blind man Kanan. What's the thing he's wearing on his face, it looks like a bit of wood just sorta bolted onto his skull? There's no straps or anything holding it in place...

THRAWN WHAAAAT

how did Maul end up with regular looking legs again? From what artwork I've seen of him, he had crazy robo legs? Did he get bisected again? ;P

To Kanaan's new look
    Some kind of blast shield. I like to think he holds it there with the force.
    He does take it off on occasion though, so it's not a permanent fixture on his skull.

To the Clone Wars Alum
    Maul's built and rebuilt his robot legs several times. Pretty sure the crazy robot bird legs were first, then he had some kind of robo spider thing going on down stairs. The humanoid legs are the most recent set.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    started season 3

THRAWN WHAAAAT

To Kanaan's new look
    Some kind of blast shield. I like to think he holds it there with the force.
    He does take it off on occasion though, so it's not a permanent fixture on his skull.

To the Clone Wars Alum
    Maul's built and rebuilt his robot legs several times. Pretty sure the crazy robot bird legs were first, then he had some kind of robo spider thing going on down stairs. The humanoid legs are the most recent set.

Kanan
    Pretty sure his headgear is a modified visor from one of the A-Wing pilot helmets. Looks very similar.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Season 4 character reveal at the Rebels Panel:
    Rukh voiced by Warwick Davis

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Star Wars isn't the saga of the Skywalker family, it's the saga of Captain Rex Darth Maul.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Season 4 character reveal at the Rebels Panel:
    Rukh voiced by Warwick Davis
    Death Note crossover?