As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bioshock DLC available

• Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lothars wrote: »
    really? I had never heard of that

Crazy so that's really common?
    Actually it has been happening to me too. I just got to Olympus Heights and have had it happen 2 or 3, maybe 4 times now that I've noticed. I assumed it was supposed to work that way (as in, when you trigger a certain event it plays a certain related audio log if you happen to have it regardless of whether or not you've already listened to it) though I admit that is was pretty weak reasoning from the few examples I saw in game.

Edit: 360 version here!

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nope, mine was on 360.

Note my bitching about the LACK OF A SUBTITLE FIX YOU BASTARDS.

I will bitch about this until the day I die.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    elizabexelizabex Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    Because reloading a save with all of your ammo makes the gamer harder.

At least now you won't be able to go through the majority of the game as a no-holds-barred, consequences-be-damned wrench swinger. I'm excited to play through the game again, on hard, using the no-vita-chamber option.

Like some other folks, I tried to go through the game slowly --- never trying to rely on the chambers. It'll be really nice to turn those off.. and have a new achievement to aim for in the process.

elizabex on
    elizabex.png
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pej wrote: »

Actually it has been happening to me too. I just got to Olympus Heights and have had it happen 2 or 3, maybe 4 times now that I've noticed. I assumed it was supposed to work that way (as in, when you trigger a certain event it plays a certain related audio log if you happen to have it regardless of whether or not you've already listened to it) though I admit that is was pretty weak reasoning from the few examples I saw in game.

I have the 360 version as well, maybe i didn't notice it becauase I though it was part of the game just to play the certain related audio log, I don't know but that's strange.

Lothars on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Common enough so that I got it as well. Didn't bother me that much though...just got to hear wonderful voice acting again.

And the iceman cometh, Sander baby.
    The iceman fucking cometh.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    What's this FOV problem people are talking about? I didn't play the game until a couple months after it launched, so I didn't follow the threads and hear about common problems.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Nice. I stalled partway through my second playthrough. A dose of new tonics to play with is a good reason to pick it up again.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    i think the game was at a 4:3 but they just cut off the top and bottom to give it a widescreen 16:9 effect. Now I guess it is true 16:9?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Pej wrote: »

What I'm talking about is when you pick up a log and do the "Hold A to listen" bit, as soon as that log was over, it would instantly play the previous log you listened to. It was always the last one you grabbed, and not just a random one. I'd say it happened once every hour or two for me. It's just really annoying because there's no way to shut the things off. Even more so when it's a particularly long one. I even tried going into the menu and playing a random log, and it still looped the previous log.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    i think the game was at a 4:3 but they just cut off the top and bottom to give it a widescreen 16:9 effect. Now I guess it is true 16:9?

Ah. I assumed it would be something like that.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Ah. I assumed it would be something like that.

Well, see, here was the thing: According to Irrational, the game was in fact designed with widescreen. It's just that, instead of cropping the sides to make the 4:3, they instead added to the top and bottom. All of the framing for controlled-camera segments was ostensibly done with the 16:9 format in mind, and I even saw one forumer mention elsewhere that the new widescreen FOV option kind of diminishes the opening sequence a bit. It was a large debate about intent versus definition and it rivaled "Halo 3 ain't true 720p" sorts of pixel-hunting semantics.

Ultimately it's nice that it's an option so both camps can be happy. I'll screw around to see if I prefer one or the other.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just need a quick answer, it says horizontal FOV fixed, does that mean that full widescreen is now unlocked for the PC version?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sonic Boom sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

Graviija on
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So none of those cool PC fixes are on the 360 version? So we're still stuck with horribly timed subtitles?

I'm hearing that all the PC fixes are available on the 360 too. Haven't tried it out myself.

Suckafish on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Excellent news! Now I'm just gonna have to rip through this again, and revel in the glory all over.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    What I'm talking about is when you pick up a log and do the "Hold A to listen" bit, as soon as that log was over, it would instantly play the previous log you listened to. It was always the last one you grabbed, and not just a random one. I'd say it happened once every hour or two for me. It's just really annoying because there's no way to shut the things off. Even more so when it's a particularly long one. I even tried going into the menu and playing a random log, and it still looped the previous log.
    That sounds pretty much like what I ran into as well. I just never thought too much about it or even really minded. It was just strange hearing an audio log you just listened to 5 minutes ago play again for no apparent reason. :)

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so.... bioshock.exe error fixed? Its not on the list. DLC > emergency patch?
    its good that they fixed the vista sound issues though.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    It was a large debate about intent versus definition and it rivaled "Halo 3 ain't true 720p" sorts of pixel-hunting semantics.

Ultimately it's nice that it's an option so both camps can be happy. I'll screw around to see if I prefer one or the other.

It eclipsed the "Halo 3 true 720p" argument by a great deal, at least around here. I know it bothered the hell out of me because of how vertically cramped everything felt. The positioning of the hands is what really made it noticeable.

Accualt on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    It was very noticeable that they matted it to get a widescreen display. Still very playable, but, obnoxious.

So, does this mean bioshock now has 1100 gamer points? I thought all games were capped at 1000.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    It was very noticeable that they matted it to get a widescreen display. Still very playable, but, obnoxious.

So, does this mean bioshock now has 1100 gamer points? I thought all games were capped at 1000.
    DLCs are allowed to add more points to titles (I think 250?) and they're calling the new plasmids/tonics a DLC so I suppose it makes sense.

Pej on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

MS changed that. 1000 for retail releases. Up to 1250 with downloadable content.

See:
    Crackdown
    Gears of War
    Tomb Raider: Legend
    Oblivion

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Nope. As a matter of fact, Crackdown goes all the way to 1250. A few others do it too, but I don't remember right now.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if that is the only new achievement they've added? If so does that indicate that they might be saving the other 150 points for even more updates/content?

Pej on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

Actually, if Irrational are to be believed, the game was developed for the 16:9 ratio, then they changed things for 4:3. People saw that 4:3 had the view slightly pulled back, and raged into fits of apoplexy that Irrational was stealin' they pixels. Tinfoil prices rose sharply.

edit: beat'd so hard.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Actually, if Irrational are to be believed, the game was developed for the 16:9 ratio, then they changed things for 4:3. People saw that 4:3 had the view slightly pulled back, and raged into fits of apoplexy that Irrational was stealin' they pixels. Tinfoil prices rose sharply.

edit: beat'd so hard.

Hey, I paid for all of those i's and p's, I'm gonna get my money's worth!

In all seriousness, my own take on the debate was horribly skewed because I was actually playing it in 4:3 at the time. I'm going to tinker with both now that I have a widescreen TV. For the interested, videogamer.com has about four early comparison shots of the two widescreen options.

bioshock_74.jpg
    bioshock_73.jpg

I'd be very curious to see other fixed-camera moments in the game, not that there are that many.

Lunker on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is awesome, I'd barely begun my "hard" Bioshock playthrough when news of this incoming DLC hit and I got swamped by new games.

All this extra winsauce gives me the perfect reason to play through again. And free to boot? Joy!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    snip
    snip

I'd be very curious to see other fixed-camera moments in the game, not that there are that many.

so in these shots, on a 4:3 display, you would the middle bit with the top bottom and bottom sections added, but not the side ones?

LewieP on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I don't want to dig up and bump the old Bioshock thread... is it explained at all why Andrew Ryan decides to
    have you kill him?
    I'm currently in Olympus Heights, just knowing that it does get explained would be sufficient.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LogicowLogicow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I only got about halfway through the game due to being busy with exams and other things.

And, exam week is coming up.

But, perhaps during the christmas holidays I might give it another go.

(It doesn't help that Bioshock doesn't run too great on my laptop. GeForce Quadro equivalent to a 8400 for the lose.)

Logicow on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I don't want to dig up and bump the old Bioshock thread... is it explained at all why Andrew Ryan decides to
    have you kill him?
    I'm currently in Olympus Heights, just knowing that it does get explained would be sufficient.

According to one friend's opinion....
    He simply had no reason to live. Rapture was in ruins, his plans all gone to hell. He probably wanted to go out with a bang, taken out by his own son.

Yes, it is rather obvious the main guy is Ryan's son.

What I'm still trying to figure out, though, is what Fontaine meant after he revealed himself to you when he said.

"For a time, I was even a China-man."

At first I thought it meant he was impersonating Suchong, but that doesn't quite fit.

The widescreen fix is the one update I'm most looking forward to, since the original game felt like the picture was basically zoomed in the whole time. I'm a real stickler for having true widescreen, so I hope it looks as good as those comparison shots.

I also hope they do a fix regarding the right analog stick. With my first controller, the camera would pan to the right all on its own, without me touching the pad. I eventually did a little swap with a second controller, which fixed this problem, but the camera will still move upward from time to time.

I also really wanted a flashlight of sorts. Many parts of the game were obscured with darkness, when some lighting would have really helped with the atmosphere.

I also wish the update would include new enemies.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    have you kill him?

He simply had no reason to live. Rapture was in ruins, his plans all gone to hell. He probably wanted to go out with a bang, taken out by his own son.

What I'm still trying to figure out, though, is what Fontaine meant after he revealed himself to you when he said.

At first I thought it meant he was impersonating Suchong, but that doesn't quite fit.

The widescreen fix is the one update I'm most looking forward to, since the original game felt like the picture was basically zoomed in the whole time. I'm a real stickler for having true widescreen, so I hope it looks as good as those comparison shots.

I also hope they do a fix regarding the right analog stick. With my first controller, the camera would pan to the right all on its own, without me touching the pad. I eventually did a little swap with a second controller, which fixed this problem, but the camera will still move upward from time to time.

I also really wanted a flashlight of sorts. Many parts of the game were obscured with darkness, when some lighting would have really helped with the atmosphere.

I also wish the update would include new enemies.

I have a similar problem, but it's much controller. Playing Oblivion for 6 trillion hours really does a number on the analog sticks without an autorun function. It pulls upwards constantly if I even slightly tap it.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    have you kill him?

I didn't really delve too far into the backstory, but what I took out of it:
    Ryan was testing your will to see if you could choose to override the mind control implanted into your genes. "A man chooses ... a slave obeys." He expressed disappointment that you could be so easily told what to do -- remember that he kept telling you to "would you kindly walk around" and generally pulling you around like a puppet. He was giving you one final chance to resist the mind control and use your own free will to not kill him. Of course, you can't overcome it, but I think the mere concept of involuntary action repulsed him.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, probably. I like your theory better.

• Options
    edited December 2007
    I wanted one too when I first started playing (I was actually kind of surprised there wasn't one) until I had Doom 3 flashbacks. ;-) Flashlight, gun, flashlight, gun! GUNN!!!! I actually think they could of easily added a tonic that gave you a fairly bright radius of light around you (or something else reasonable) or even a plasmid. As it is now I typically walk around with Inferno out all the time anyway.

Pej on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    A flashlight mounted on your gun. Or a pocket flashlight on your shirt, Silent Hill style.

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Stop being logical!

Pej on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Never!

• Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So when the mother fuck do us silver Live members get to download the DLC? This is pure fucking bullshit.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • Options
    ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Too bad I already beat the game the first time without vita chambers :(.

Thello on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    They said the update would be this week, right? I know PS3 updates are done on Thursdays, but I'm not sure if Live updates follow a similar schedule.