As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I'm just catching up on this thread.
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I would not be terribly surprised at the show' s ratings being very quietly sunk by Totally Not Racist parents not wanting their kids to watch this 'dark and angsty' show on ABC Family, that just happens to be about a young interracial couple.

There are plenty of young, liberal parents my age with kids juuuust reaching the target age for this show. But young, liberal parents aren't really the type to spend a lot of time with their tv's tuned to ABC Family-that-was

I thought ABC family was very progressive for a cable TV station. My wife watches The Fosters and other shows on there. From what I've seen, Cloak and Dagger line right up with now Freeforms demographic.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I would not be terribly surprised at the show' s ratings being very quietly sunk by Totally Not Racist parents not wanting their kids to watch this 'dark and angsty' show on ABC Family, that just happens to be about a young interracial couple.

There are plenty of young, liberal parents my age with kids juuuust reaching the target age for this show. But young, liberal parents aren't really the type to spend a lot of time with their tv's tuned to ABC Family-that-was

I thought ABC family was very progressive for a cable TV station. My wife watches The Fosters and other shows on there. From what I've seen, Cloak and Dagger line right up with now Freeforms demographic.

Isn't Pretty Little Liars ABC Family? I mean, that show is not exactly Touched By An Angel in terms of wholesomeness.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »

Isn't Pretty Little Liars ABC Family? I mean, that show is not exactly Touched By An Angel in terms of wholesomeness.

looks like it is

which gives me great hope for Cloak and Dagger to show up on netflix with the usual (c.f., BCS, among others) latency. I would prefer to watch it immediately (in keeping with my MCU M.O.), but netflix is a decent back-up plan.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Sorry guys, spoilered everything.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Hm, it would seem I've formed the wrong impression of ABC Family

• Options
    Hm, it would seem I've formed the wrong impression of ABC Family

Shadow hunters is ridiculously progressive, too. Gay main characters with strong storylines, very good female and minority representation - it's the type of show which would give Million Moms heart attacks.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Finally watched Strange.

Basically felt to me like a crappier version of Iron Man, at least in terms of the story.

The effects and fights were neat; the plot and villain were blah. I liked Cumberbatch more in the role than I expected to given some of the comments I've seen--for my money, he holds his own with RDJ playing basically the same character. I did feel like Strange needed to be humbled harder than he was after being such a colossal goose in the opening scenes.

Middle of the pack MCU for me, which is as a franchise is already so content with just being "pretty good". It felt like with this film they could've been more ambitious than they were, so it's a bit of a shame.

I don't know. As someone who didn't grow up on comics and doesn't have nostalgia to fall back on, I'm starting to get pretty bored with the franchise (or at least the film part of it). They're retreading the same ground an awful lot, and while none of the movies have been bad, none of them blew my head back either (though a couple have been very close to being that good). That said, I'm sure GotG 2 will be an immensely enjoyable popcorn flick which doesn't take itself too seriously, so I hope Infinity War pushes the envelope and goes deeper/darker than we've seen yet.

Edit: Word soup blaahhh

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    OremLK wrote: »
    Finally watched Strange.

Basically felt to me like a crappier version of Iron Man, at least in terms of the story.

The effects and fights were neat; the plot and villain were blah. I liked Cumberbatch more in the role than I expected to given some of the comments I've seen--for my money, he holds his own with RDJ playing basically the same character. I did feel like Strange needed to be humbled harder than he was after being such a colossal goose in the opening scenes.
    He had his hands crushed, basically lost anything resembling a normal career choice for him, and spent what might have been years being killed over and over again to save the world.

Dude got beaten down pretty hard and willingly sacrificed himself in a way that was pretty epic and new for the MCU. Then didn't try to get praise about how he did it. Guy got humbled pretty hard compared to how much of a dick he was at the beginning.

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    OremLK wrote: »
    Finally watched Strange.

He had his hands crushed, basically lost anything resembling a normal career choice for him, and spent what might have been years being killed over and over again to save the world.

Dude got beaten down pretty hard and willingly sacrificed himself in a way that was pretty epic and new for the MCU. Then didn't try to get praise about how he did it. Guy got humbled pretty hard compared to how much of a dick he was at the beginning.

I mean, yeah, he got humbled--all the plot structure of it was there, you're totally right--I just didn't quite feel it from a character perspective, I guess? I mean, it's pretty subjective. But stuff like...
    After his hands have been crushed because he was driving like a maniac on a mountain road at night while playing on his cell phone, his first reaction is to tell the surgeons who saved his life and saved some use of his hands that they "ruined him". No, dude, you ruined yourself. A little later, he acts like a total dick to Christine when she's clearly just trying to help him. At this point in the movie he's still blaming everyone else. And yes he's panicking and hurting and fighting off despair and it's understandable, but it does show he hasn't yet had that moment where he's learned humility. He hasn't been taught a lesson by the consequences of his behavior. So storytelling-wise, I was thinking "okay. That's still to come."

He goes to Kamar-Taj and acts like an arrogant dick to the Ancient One. Then she hits him with magic and throws him out on his ass, and yeah, he hangs out by her door and begs to be let in for the rest of the day. And... that's pretty much it. Somewhere around this time, or perhaps in combination with some other things that happen in the second act, he seems to finally figure things out. But at least to me, I felt like it was missing something. The setup for the character arc was great. The events to humble him were all there, like you said. But the internal emotional journey was barely touched upon. I wanted to see more of that. When specifically did he say to himself "Oh. I'm actually a giant asshole. Oh god. I did that to her?"

I wanted to see how and why he took that shit to heart and learned something from it and changed. It felt like he did change, but we weren't let in on the thoughts or feelings which led him there.

My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    For what it's worth, the movies are gonna hit a lot of the same beats for some characters because their origin stories, back in the day, tended to do that too.

• Options
    GOTG 2 review thread is up and running, Marvelites.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/211082/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-youre-welcome-open-spoilers

As you can tell by the title it is open spoilers.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/211082/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-youre-welcome-open-spoilers

Considering it doesn't come out until next week in the US and this weekend in Europe, I'm not sure how many people are gonna venture into an open spoilers thread...

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Considering it doesn't come out until next week in the US and this weekend in Europe, I'm not sure how many people are gonna venture into an open spoilers thread...

I'm patient.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

I'm patient.

hm

I guess its time for me to create an open spoilers The Last Jedi thread

:wink:

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    No spoilers, but omg GotG2 was fucking amazing and you need to watch it so we can talk about it!

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I mean this happens every time a marvel movie comes out. (Because they always come out in international markets a few weeks earlier)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    For those who don't know Tessa Thompson, who's playing Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok, she was Sam White in the Dear White People film. Here's a taste of what she'll bring to the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWIZGgCkw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xK89pwrw2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNV-3wW_mo

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    ....condescension and helping to make that movie terrible?

She was better in Westworld.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

Now I definitely have to hear your review about the Dear White People tv show in the Netflix thread.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Now I definitely have to hear your review about the Dear White People tv show in the Netflix thread.

I think there's been whole threads about why that'd be a bad idea.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Huh... so James Gunn has said he's devloping the Adam Warlock character for an MCU debut. That's kinda interesting. I still think Vision is going to play the Adam Warlock role in Infinity War/Guantlet, though. I wonder what they're going to do with him. Since it's Gunn, I bet he'll show up in GotG 3.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I imagine they'll be introducing Adam in the second half of Infinity War if anywhere. It sounds like Guardians 3 is the start of Phase 4, be weird to introduce the guy after the story errybody knows him from... maybe this just means James Gunn will be involved in Infinity War to some degree?

Guardians Vol.2 spoiler
    Guardians Vol.2 post credit scene...
    shows Ayesha crafting a new Sovereign, which she names "Adam"

So. He's cooking already!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    As written in the trailer thread, it actually looks good, like they had a budget for it this time.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Huh... so James Gunn has said he's devloping the Adam Warlock character for an MCU debut. That's kinda interesting. I still think Vision is going to play the Adam Warlock role in Infinity War/Guantlet, though. I wonder what they're going to do with him. Since it's Gunn, I bet he'll show up in GotG 3.

Infinte War speculation
    Vision was my first choice for a replacement, too - then I remembered he's going to be sidelined when Thanos takes that stone from his head.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    For those who don't know Tessa Thompson, who's playing Valkyrie in Thor: Ragnarok, she was Sam White in the Dear White People film. Here's a taste of what she'll bring to the role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWIZGgCkw4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xK89pwrw2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNV-3wW_mo

I liked her in Veronica Mars.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Infinte War speculation
    Vision was my first choice for a replacement, too - then I remembered he's going to be sidelined when Thanos takes that stone from his head.

I always figured
    Vision would "die" in Infinity War when Thanos gets the stone, and then in part two he'd emerge from the stone to help everyone whup up on Thanos.

• Options
    As written in the trailer thread, it actually looks good, like they had a budget for it this time.

The DD folks know what they're doing.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Someone made another that I like;

b0o75as9xtat.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "original soundtrack available on cassette" :D

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    "original soundtrack available on cassette" :D

Bring it on, I still have an old-school dual tape deck in my audio room.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    They should sell it as a USB drive that looks like a cassette.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I somehow got tickets to see this tonight at 1am

I am beyond hype

• Options
    I somehow got tickets to see this tonight at 1am

I am beyond hype

Man, I hope you don't have to work tomorrow!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Luckily, I don't! Not that I'll be able to sleep afterwards anyways :D

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I am pretty excited for you guys to finally be able to see it, a reminder to sit through the credits (the whole credits)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Even if you didn't know post credit scenes were coming, the credits themselves are worth watching.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been sitting on 8 tickets for the Sunday 7pm showing for nearly 5 weeks.

~96 hours from now I hope to be walking out thoroughly entertained.

Also the jitters are setting in, and it is entirely unrelated to my coffee intake.

... mostly unrelated.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options