As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deathstate] Just how many eyeballs can you fit in your head?

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
header.jpg?t=1494362535

Deathstate is a rad bullet-hell roguelike with an Eldritch/Lovecraftian cosmic horror vibe going on. Bullet-hell and roguelike may be turn offs for some, but I can assure you this game feels like it was made for people who aren't fans of either genre. As a bullet-hell, it never gets too crazy unless you up the difficulty/desecration levels. As a roguelike, it seems like the design choice was to ensure you're having fun instead of kicking you in the balls every two seconds.

Basic plot is that you're a lady who's professor/mentor mysteriously disappears. You receive a message from him one day out of the blue to meet him at a library, and wouldn't you know it, the library gets transported to some cosmic abyss dimension. You'll have to make your way through the abyss to try and find your professor, and also to find a way out of this awful realm!

Gameplay is cool as shit! It plays pretty similar to Binding of Isaac, except you don't have to aim and shoot. As you move around, your character will automatically fire at the closest enemy. Weapons, loot, and items are kind of similar to Isaac as well. Alien Organs are the things you'll find to give yourself stat boosts, and augment your attacks. By the end of a run, your head will be crammed full of eyeballs and your torso will be stuffed full of hearts, lungs, spleens, and egg clutches. There's also weapons and artifacts that will float around you and provice additional attacks. Each character has a magic ability as well that you can use quite liberally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEUiZPpgR6Q

I was made aware of this game yesterday by my bro, Magic Pink, and in one night it's become one of my favorite games ever! I was very shocked that I hadn't seen anyone in the PSN thread talk about it, and apparently it doesn't get much love in the Steam thread either. I stink at thread makin' but I felt compelled to make this one, because the game is great and people need to play it!

Just look at these cute lil fuckers you're going to have to murdalize:

deathstate_music.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    Beat the game a second time last night as the Scientist. Her potion ability is alright I guess, especially if you luck into a random heal or bomb potion.

Does it still count as "beat the game with Scar" if you transform into a demon guy?

Also I learned about Awake potions last night... that sucked!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Awaken potions are poop from a space butt

Yeah, you can grab different Apects but it still counts as winning with the character you started with.

• Options
    I just wanna be home and playing this right now! I have to go see GotG2 after work today too, which is cool and all... but like that's less time I get to spend with my new Starchildren buddies. Gonna try another run with the eyeball tentacle guy. His lasers are stronk!

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Eyeball is my absolute favourite. The only downside to lasers is they aren't affected by rate of fire boosts but they're already at max so who cares. They MAY have a damage reduction too but I'm not sure. If they do have it, they never mention it.

Eyeball's spell is great as well if you can finagle it around so it's always targeting a boss. It's normally a pretty great area cleaner too if you manage to get some damage buffs.

I have to give Starchild a try soon too but since it can't ingest organs it would be at a huge disadvantage. I guess it can BUY organs and use them, it just can't swallow the ones it finds which is weird.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    I figured Eyeball would be the quickest way to get the Noob Lord trophy (Die in the first minute) since it starts with only two HP. I had to try it twice, because even while trying to get hit, enemies just kept dying before I could run into them or their bullets...

• Options
    I don't know if I have the Noob Lord trophy. I may have to look into that.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Bless this golden age of crazy indie pixel games.

Long may it reign.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Fuck I hate the brawler... weaving between the final boss's bullets is really hard to do with him.

• Options
    He's a nightmare to play. He doesn't unlock anything so I'm benching him permanently.

The Pharaoh is close to the bench for me too. Rain of Death and his great special aren't enough to compensate for how incredibly slow he moves.

And WOW does endless mode bite! I thought they'd leave you a bit to ramp up your power but after the first boss the whole thing shifts into Insane difficulty! That's just silly.

• Options
    Managed to squirt out a win with the brawler last night. Got lucky and kept finding +HP organs and a heal artifact. So I just kept eating hits on the final boss and brute forced it. Going by the game's trophies the only two characters I'm haven't unlocked are the Embalmer and the Skeleton King, not sure what I need to do to unlock them, but I figure It'll just happen regularly like the other characters.

I did unlock that Octillion book, but haven't found it in the abyss yet. That stinks to hear about endless mode :(

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    squirt out a win

omg

Skeleton King is super hard to unlock; it's either win on Max Desecration or on Insanity, I forget which. Embalmer will just show up, yeah.

There's a few different Octillion books, Volume 2 is the good one.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    It's the attack 8 enemies book. I didn't think it could get better than attack 6 enemies! Really hope I find it in a run soon.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    It's the attack 8 enemies book. I didn't think it could get better than attack 6 enemies! Really hope I find it in a run soon.

I know what the book does doctor

Vol 2 uses lasers instead of bullets and it is wonderful

• Options
    ha look at yer av

the cuddliest 'thuthu

• Options
    Yeah I love em! But they try to kill me so... they gots ta go =/

Dang, I was hoping the book shot lasers by default, and vol 2 did something crazy like 16 enemies at once.

• Options
    look if you think you need more than eight lasers you're playing the wrong game

also yer greedy af

• Options
    If you're telling me you wouldn't want more than 8 lasers, I'll call you a liar sir!

• Options
    :eek:

• Options
    KeithMachineKeithMachine Registered User regular
    Dev here! Glad you guys like our game! Happy to answer questions n stuff.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    WOW does endless mode bite! I thought they'd leave you a bit to ramp up your power but after the first boss the whole thing shifts into Insane difficulty! That's just silly.

Endless ticks up 1 desecration tier after each boss. It won't get to Insanity until after the 4th boss... Unless something is busted! It should be easier than normal desecration runs but harder than a vanilla run.

It's tricky to balance endless because if you get too much loot you get really overpowered. During testing, when it was easier, a good run would go to like floor 40 and people would suicide out of boredom. :(

• Options
    Dev here! Glad you guys like our game! Happy to answer questions n stuff.

WHERE DO I SEND MY HAIR AND NAIL CLIPPINGS

• Options
    WOW does endless mode bite! I thought they'd leave you a bit to ramp up your power but after the first boss the whole thing shifts into Insane difficulty! That's just silly.

Endless ticks up 1 desecration tier after each boss. It won't get to Insanity until after the 4th boss... Unless something is busted! It should be easier than normal desecration runs but harder than a vanilla run.

It's tricky to balance endless because if you get too much loot you get really overpowered. During testing, when it was easier, a good run would go to like floor 40 and people would suicide out of boredom. :(

yes that sounds fun how do i get so powerful i suicide

that is my preferred play style :D

• Options
    Oh! Hello there!

No questions here, your game is friggin fantastic! Seriously, kudos to you/your team for making an immensely fun game.

• Options
    Actually, I just thought of a question!

Can you add a tome that fires lasers at 16 additional enemies? You can call it "The tale of Skullnumbers: In Your Face, Pink!"

• Options
    GOD DAMN IT SKULL

• Options
    yeah in all seriousness i've been playing it a lot ever since you were in early access on steam. it's a ridiculously fun game.

and i rarely play games longer than an hour or two

• Options
    GOD DAMN IT SKULL

>:3

Also, more of a suggestion than a question, Y'all should sell Starchild plushies! I am willing to spend an irresponsible amount of money on one.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    oh my god yes, deathstate plushies

here's some actual questions:

1: I pick up something that turns all my shots into lasers. then I get some organ that gives me "fires a (type) bullet every X shot". How does that work?

2: What does desecration actually do?

3: Do Dark Portals only show up in Insane mode?

4: seriously where do i send my hair and fingernails

5: Do you get or unlock anything for managing to not get hit in a level? I know there's one achievement but is there anything else?

6: Are there more characters or items eventually coming or do we have the whole game?

7: Does Plague Damage actually do damage over time or does it just make the critter explode into bullets when you kill them?

8: Do lasers still have the same damage per tick that your bullets had or do they get a damage debuff since the fire speed gets maxed out?

9: Can you add a book that just makes your butt drop off and title it "I'm Skullnumbers Duh I Gots No Butt"?

10: What is "dark damage", "dark seeking", and "black eye" exactly?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys! 16 laser tome... it sounds so beautiful...

1. Iirc you will fire a status bullet every x seconds while the laser is firing. Been a while since I touched that code tbh

2. It makes the game harder incrementally. Enemy damage goes up and enemies and bosses gain new abilities and patterns. Plus a few other little secret things. Insanity is basically desecration 4.

3. Dark portals can appear in any mode... but only after you've figured out how to enter the dark realm the first time.

4. Put them in an envelope then scribble madly all over it with a black pen. Apply proper postage and bury it. The clippings will appear at our office in 3 days covered in slime.

5. Not getting hit is only an achievement.

6. We've been patching slowly but steadily. I can't say exactly how much more we'll do... But we love working on it.

7. Yep! Plague is a weak dot (that spreads). Entropy is a strong dot that doesn't.

8. Lasers should always represent a slight dps increase over bullets with the same build, except that lasers do not benefit from fire speed boosts and they have that slight "warm up" time.

9. Absolutely.

10. Man, those are weird stats!!

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Can it be that it still needs to come out on the European PSN store?

Or do I need more eyeballs in order to spot it in the store? :wink:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    Can't hurt to cram some more eyeballs in your head!

It can hurt to cram caustic guts into your torso, though. Maybe don't do that.

• Options
    Can it be that it still needs to come out on the European PSN store?

Or do I need more eyeballs in order to spot it in the store? :wink:

We're still sorting that. Launching in Europe on PSN isn't a freebie, but we'd​ love to make it happen! In the meantime DS is available worldwide on Steam.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So how did you guys come up with the auto-shoot mechanic? Was it always the plan or did it emerge as the game evolved?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    It was a day one feature... A hook that was part of the initial prototype and never changed. DS was intended to be a bullet hell / dungeon crawl hybrid and we thought focusing the player's​ attention on movement and positioning was important.

1-1 doesn't have that many bullets so the initial "bullet hell" impression is downplayed a bit, but those roots get really clear as you move up the difficulties.

• Options
    I had a particularly great run going with pumpkin man... then I got hit by the final boss' green explody attack for the first time ever and found out it's a one hit kill. Mildly salty after that...

• Options
    cmon man

it's huge, green and slow as balls of course it's 1 hit kill

I'm still trying to find my way to the Dark Portal; I know where it is but getting to the specific level it's on is a pain in the ass. The weird thing is the accomplishments say I've already been there but I still don't get any portals.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Is there a list of how to unlock stuff? I've only gotten up to four characters and I have no idea how.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Is there a list of how to unlock stuff? I've only gotten up to four characters and I have no idea how.

the book that vaguely tells you how to unlock everything north of the group table.

Magic Pink on