As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Gwent] Homecoming is out!

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    My dwarf deck eats Nilfgaard decks for breakfast. 80% winrate so far, but that's against decks that mostly don't have the 25 point gold card + Renew for the next round. I'm guessing once I get past rank 9 and more Nilfgaard decks have that combo, my winrate will go way down.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    . . .alright, they really need to get on their J.O.B. with some of these card bugs. Just lost a game because Regis didn't proc twice. I've also given up on Triss: Butterfly working.

EDIT: What the fuck. I haven't unlocked Ranked Play yet, and I'm facing people with this Ranked Level 12 border? How? Why?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The Casual queue is not segregated as far as I can tell, and due to the limited size of most folks collections and the punishing nature of ranked ascension it is often wise to practice using the Casual queue.

Also, I just want y'all to know my Level 20 reward was fucking Morvran. Fucking troll-ass game full of actual fucking trolls.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    . . .alright, they really need to get on their J.O.B. with some of these card bugs. Just lost a game because Regis didn't proc twice. I've also given up on Triss: Butterfly working.

EDIT: What the fuck. I haven't unlocked Ranked Play yet, and I'm facing people with this Ranked Level 12 border? How? Why?

Its ranked 12 from last season i think. I have the golden snake rank 12 border from closed beta, but im rank 7 right now.

• Options
    CDPR is doing a stream in a few hours (9 CEST/3 EST/ Noon PST) to discuss an upcoming patch. Reddit has leaks from an earlier build being played on a Chinese test-server, but a CDPR Rep has already stated most of the info has changed.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    Livestream notes as per reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/6fnz51/notes_to_livestream_keeping_updated/

General:
    • Milling for common and rare up by 100%
    • Card that got nerfed will be millable for 5 days for full cost
    • People who bought Kegs will get some additional scraps
    • Only way of obtaining leaders are the challenges and crafting
    • Lost powder in challenge refunded
    • Dagon and King Bran challenges get fixed
    • Improved Tooltips (tags standardized..)
    • Changed Challenge decks
    • Fixed Connection issue (Service interupted when logegd in)
    • Agile disloyal units couldn't be played on all row fixed
    • Frost unchanged
    • All mages changed (at least said on stream;Dethmold and Water Hag buffed by 1, but didn't see Vanhemar, Ida Emean and Gremist)
    • Card that buff many cards dont buff disloyal units
    • They said that not all value changes are necessarily covered (someone heard that too or saw a card they didn't talk about?)

All Factions:
    • RNR + Drought damage down to 2 from 3
    • Yennefer Unicorn and chironex are gold now
    • Skellige Strom affects from left to right instead of right to left
    • Gaunter O'Dimm at tie both draw a card

Monsters:
    • Nekker up to 3 from 2
    • Unseen Elder up to 5 from 4
    • Arachas Behemoth up to 6 from 5
    • Vran Warrior up to 5 from 4
    • Katakan up to 5 from 4
    • Kayran down to 8 from 10
    • Fiend up to 7 from 5
    • Shadow up to 7 from 6
    • Water Hag up to 4 from 3
    • Nithral only boosts frost effect on opponent rows to 2 (does not increase damage on own rows)
    • Frightener targest unit that will be pulled to his row
    • Foglet will be destroyed when the last fog is destroyed (not the row on the opposing row)
    • Woodland Spirit up to 7 from 5

Skellige:
    • Clan Brokvar Hunter Veteran tag removed; Regressing added
    • Clan an Craite Warcrier loses 1 for each affected unit instead of 2
    • Berserker Marauder up to 6 from 5
    • Clan an craite Warrior up to 9 from 8
    • Jutta an Dimun up to 12 from 11
    • Savage Bear will happen after all other skill are executed (Deploy effects will happend first); from 4 to 5
    • Queensguard veteran tag removed

Northern Realms:
    • Kaedweni Sergeant only boost loyal units; also got crewman
    • John Natalis down to 8 from 10; removed effort costs
    • Foltest up to 5 from 4; only boost loyal units
    • Reinforced Ballista up to 6 from 4
    • Redanian Kinght up to 6 from 5
    • Siege Tower up to 6 from 5
    • Ves up to 7 from 6
    • Bloody Baron up to 6 from 4
    • Dijkstra down to 3 from 4
    • Dethmold up to 4 from 3
    • Blue Stripes Scout added Crewman tag
    • Priscilla now shuffled in the deck instead of put at the bottom

Scoia'tael:
    • Dol Blathanna Protecter down to 2 from 4; not affected by gold effects
    • Vrihedd Officer up from 5 to 6
    • Vrihedd Sapper from 6 to 7
    • Ele'yas from 8 to 9
    • Saesenthessis 7 up from 6
    • Ithlinne up tp 4 from 2 (nerfed as it is a spy)
    • Francesca up to 5 from 4
    • Vrihedd Dragoon wont buff disloyal units
    • Dwarven Mercenary also allows to target enemy units (enemies won't get buffed, just moved)
    • Commander Neophyte armor removed
    • Mahakam defender boost ally by 3 dwarf by 4 down from 5

Nilfgaard:
    • John Calveit down to 3 from 4
    • Vicovaro Novice downt to 1 from 3
    • Vicovaro Medic added doom tag
    • Imperial Golem down to 2 from 3
    • Ambassador bugfix: when target by Vicovaro Novice gave 12 strengths, now always 10
    • Daerlan Foot Soldiers bugfix: when immediately killed when revealed the abilltiy wouldn't trigger(draw)
    • Peter Saar Gwynleve down to 4 from 6
    • Vanhemar up to 4 from 3
    • Fringilla Vigo changed to 1 when spying
    • Assies van Anahid bugfix: now can't put gold cards back
    • Rainfain up to 7 from 6
    • TIBOR eggebracht down to 8 from 10
    Stream ended

My thoughts
    • Just to emphasize: Milling for common and rare up by 100%. So commons and rares will now mill for double from now on
    • All the general changes with milling, card value etc needed to happen. solid stuff.
    • Mages were already amazing, not sure why they got an across the board str buff but ok...
    • Gold weather nerf is probably enough to take those down from mass usage. I wanted to see weather tick at turn end and not turn start, so you have a chance to clear before taking damage, but I suppose this will also work.

Monsters:
    • consume buffs were needed, not sure its enough to make it a tier 1 deck though.
    • minor fog buffs are nice.
    • Not sure Kayran needed the nerf with tibor running around....

SK:
    • Hunter needed the nerf and Warcrier needed the buff BUT
    • I think Savage Bear was some of SK's only good control--they almost always get removed or controlled anyway, and they're the only good counter to prevent you getting fucked by Vicavaro medics.
    • Plus QG are a T2 archetype and didn't need the veteran nerf. :bigfrown:
    • QG is my main deck and just took a big unnecessary hit here...
    • I don't think these nerfs kill ship/CBH/morkvarg SK. Probably just move to a more Morkvarg focused build like in CB. but people on reddit think SK is dead...

NR:
    • needed the across the board str buffs but probably still bad

ST:
    • mulligan needed the buff
    • DBP nerfs are nice but spell ST will still be cancer to play against

NG:
    • Not sure the power nerfs on calveit, novice, and imperial golem stop tempo NG from being tier 1. The effects are just too fuckin strong. Imperial Golems would be playable as 0 power deck thinners... the nerf to 2 power does little.
    • Peter needed the nerf, but its still not enough: he is as playable as ever.
    • minor Tibor nerf but he's still the best finisher in the game.
    • NG still OP imo

Overall smart changes, mostly in the right direction. Not sure they will be enough, but I'm confident CDPR will follow this with another round of balancing if they have to. I like incremental balance changes more than nerfhammering stuff. And another plus: very few truly puzzling out of nowhere buffs or nerfs. The biggest puzzler is why mages needed a buff, they're already killer.

More Stuff I'm surprised wasn't changed

Auckes is unbelievable right now. Not sure how he dodged any nerf at all. Radovid is basically an NG silver card...

valiance on
  • Options
    The universal Mage buffs is really weird. Their explanation in the stream was confusing, alternating between an assertion that some mages have better choices than others (true) while also insinuating that not enough players are using these obviously great cards... hence universal buff.

I'm going to assume something was lost in translation.

All in all, not sure why they bothered to stream this.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    The universal Mage buffs is really weird. Their explanation in the stream was confusing, alternating between an assertion that some mages have better choices than others (true) while also insinuating that not enough players are using these obviously great cards... hence universal buff.

I'm going to assume something was lost in translation.

All in all, not sure why they bothered to stream this.
    If they knew why they were bothering, they would have spent literally any time preparing.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I don't think Gwent is the game for me, after playing for a few days.
    I feel guilty winning and I feel powerless losing. The art's good but not appealing to me.

It seems really well-designed and interesting, and I wish I liked it.

• Options
    Lucedes wrote: »
    I don't think Gwent is the game for me, after playing for a few days.
    I feel guilty winning and I feel powerless losing. The art's good but not appealing to me.

It seems really well-designed and interesting, and I wish I liked it.

Glad you tried, it and sorry you don't like it!

Guilty wining is interesting to me. Powerless losing I get, but can you explain that other bit?

My main thing with gwent (and I love the game) is I find it hard to get a head of steam and play like 10-20 games in a row. I find it takes a lot of concentration/energy to play a game of Gwent. Which makes each one feel satisfying--but otoh I don't feel like I need to play 10 a day to get my fix. A couple good wins and I'm set for the day. Most days I'm not even completing my tier 2 dailies, which is a shame because its not very many games and the rewards are great.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    It doesn't have a lot of luck involved, so when I murder new players in casual it's awkward for me, even as a new player.
    I also had a miserable loss very early on to a really good Monsters/Weather deck:
    They got a start of double Brave/Resilient guys while I had no removal and was ahead on board, and then I didn't draw weather removal game 3.
    I knew I'd lost after their second turn, but had to play it out on the off-chance, and it was truly discouraging.
    Haven't unlocked ranked, that would probably help with both of those issues, because they're both matchmaking issues.

It seems like a mostly skill-based game, with some draw luck and some meta analysis.
    Individual games are very mathematical, which is cool but not incredibly... fun?
    I say this as someone who has designed games like this, and is good at math.

I can see its virtues, but it's just not my thing, which frustrates me.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I finally unlocked ranked and it's so fucking troll. Three times now I've 5 or less points from rank 8, then I lose the next game because you can't keep winning against Nilfgaard and get kicked all the way back down. CDPR pls

Coinage on
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I finally unlocked ranked and it's so fucking troll. Three times now I've 5 or less points from rank 8, then I lose the next game because you can't keep winning against Nilfgaard and get kicked all the way back down. CDPR pls

Search your feelings and Joins us at the Nilfside.

8 cards on my deck are getting nerfed (Calveit, 2xMedic 3xGolem, Gwynleve and Tibor) and 1 buffed (yay, weatherwizards).
    Still planning to kick ass and take names with it.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This game looks cool. The last thing I need is another card game but Hearthstone has been feeling pretty stale.

Skellige, Nilfgaard, and the Scoi'aetel all seem interesting.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    It doesn't have a lot of luck involved, so when I murder new players in casual it's awkward for me, even as a new player.
    I also had a miserable loss very early on to a really good Monsters/Weather deck:
    They got a start of double Brave/Resilient guys while I had no removal and was ahead on board, and then I didn't draw weather removal game 3.
    I knew I'd lost after their second turn, but had to play it out on the off-chance, and it was truly discouraging.
    Haven't unlocked ranked, that would probably help with both of those issues, because they're both matchmaking issues.

It seems like a mostly skill-based game, with some draw luck and some meta analysis.
    Individual games are very mathematical, which is cool but not incredibly... fun?
    I say this as someone who has designed games like this, and is good at math.

I can see its virtues, but it's just not my thing, which frustrates me.

I'm having some difficultly reconciling what you are saying here vs your earlier comment about powerlessness and guilty winning. Part of that is only observing people playing the game and now having played it myself but it sounds like from the latter description that I might really enjoy this game.

Are you indicating that there a lot of matchup based losses? So sort of lose before you sit down?

• Options
    This game looks cool. The last thing I need is another card game but Hearthstone has been feeling pretty stale.

It's the first card game I've played where I've felt the experience was different enough from Hearthstone to be worth grinding up a collection again, although it helps that it's more generous than most card games. My main complaint is how many of the cards are pull another card out of your deck for free and fuck Nilfgaard.

• Options
    is there an in client tournament setup or one on the roadmap with a realistic target date? ladders just dont do it for me when it comes to card games

• Options

It's the first card game I've played where I've felt the experience was different enough from Hearthstone to be worth grinding up a collection again, although it helps that it's more generous than most card games. My main complaint is how many of the cards are pull another card out of your deck for free and fuck Nilfgaard.

This is the biggest thing for me: Gwent is so unique. Aside from having cards Gwent has literally NOTHING in common with the MtG/HS/almost every other CCG model: no mana increasing every turn, no attacking, no blocking, no life totals, 3 rounds per game, passing.

Plus the factors that make it more consistent than HS et al: slightly smaller deck sizes, deck thinning, large hand sizes, lots of mulligans, lots of tutors, less RNG, draw only 3 cards all game

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    I must enjoy playing as the underdog .. because I played Nilfgaard exclusively during Closed Beta back when NR towers/Monster devours were the top meta.

Now, in open beta .. I'm playing as Mulligan Scoia'tel & trio NR, and hardly playing Nilfgaard.

• Options
    I wonder if they'll ever try to conceive of some way to disincentivize the "Round 2 Dry Pass", where the winner of Round 1 simply doesn't play anything in order to put their opponent on the play in Round 3. Because as interesting as that "strategy" may be, it will certainly look stupid as fuck during any sort of publicly-viewed tournament.

• Options
    I wonder if they'll ever try to conceive of some way to disincentivize the "Round 2 Dry Pass", where the winner of Round 1 simply doesn't play anything in order to put their opponent on the play in Round 3. Because as interesting as that "strategy" may be, it will certainly look stupid as fuck during any sort of publicly-viewed tournament.
    It also makes me really mad. I had one NG do that then hit gold for his 2 Impera Enforcers and my whole hand was basically useless. Requiring you to play one card before passing seems like a fair rule to me, but the real problem is probably how the best cards are reactive.

• Options
    The "Spellgard" deck is set up to do exactly that, which is why Impera Enforcers is getting nerfed to say "Look at the top card" rather than "Look at the top unit".

Apparently the Promotion mechanic was a big part of Northern Realms during Closed Beta and then got removed due to being bad gameplay, so I'm not terribly clear on why they left it in at all.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    so... Kambi.

How do I use it? Seems like a pretty big lose lose with wiping the board and giving your opponent a 15p gold.

What am I missing?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    so... Kambi.

How do I use it? Seems like a pretty big lose lose with wiping the board and giving your opponent a 15p gold.

What am I missing?

At the moment there's no great way to make use of it. Theoretically the goal is to only have Gold units on your side of the board and/or cards like Morkvarg. However, engineering such a boardstate is not really Skellige's strength, so you're just better off going for a more traditional Crach/Mork shell.

• Options
    so... Kambi.

What am I missing?
    It's a meme card.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I've seen Kambi used in the final round against me when my opponent had Cerys and Hjalmar.

Prisca on
  • Options
    This guy's video should cheer you up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW8zO4vTlI

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    So I've been playing this for probably about a week now and having a lot of fun playing nilfgaard decks, but I see people complaining that they're the best, which is distressing because I'm a gigantic hipster at heart and I can't main something good.

My first deck resolved around spies and diseased cows, and it was quite fun, but was really feast or famine depending on how easily they could deal with them. Recently I made a deck that's all about revealing cards, which is also fun. I assume neither of those decks are the OP ladder champions but I'm a little worried they won't even be playable. I stopped playing hearthstone when I basically stopped being able to achieve even a 40% win rate without netdecking and I'm a little worried that the low-variance setup of gwent will quickly put it in the same situation.

But oh god until then using my commander to drop 3 of those 4 power dudes out of my hand, having each of my catapults deal 6 damage, then filling my hand back up with guys who just got +3 feels so good

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    OH! BTW you guys shouldn't be scrapping anything until the patch drops. Double scraps from rares and commons going forward...
    This guy's video should cheer you up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIW8zO4vTlI

That's an insane board state. Vicavaro medic into celeano harpy, then combat engineer the celeano, whose eggs turned into the 2 normal harpies. Then I'm assuming shittons of ambassadors/vicavaro novices into Fringilla + Decoy? I see no other way that board state happens...

Look at the Monsters card advantage too! Monsters wins round 1, passes round 2, NG blows all his cards round 2 setting up that 61 strength celeano harpy carryover into round 3?

edit: wow am I salty: vicavaro medics, ghouls and caretakers just utterly gut QG skellige. I was nearly 1200 MMR and now I can't win a game cause of the fuckin techs. I don't know how SK is supposed to do a damn thing with such brutal hard counters so readily available. Combined with the nerfs from last patch and SK is fuckin dead: you wont even be able to use bears to counter medics anymore.

lol I cant beat 900 MMR kids cause they have tibor and vicavaros and SK gets ?????

valiance on
  • Options
    anyone know if the xbox and pc accounts are the same, aka i have the same collection across platforms?

• Options
    edited June 2017
    so... Kambi.

What am I missing?
    It's a meme card.

swim gets memed by it pretty hard here

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/150393774?t=05h40m52s

valiance on
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    Made it to rank 9 with my mulligan summon ST deck. I was having a lot of fun figuring out how to best sequence things against the various archetypes however it seems the last 4 days have been nothing but the same 3 deck types over and over again....come on patch!

• Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Okay. I'm enjoying the game on the PS4 as a casual play, but is there any way to get out of the starter deck slump with out spending a mint?

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    Spending money doesn't really get you shit (well, I suppose spending hundreds might). Most of the folks with large collections have such because they were part of Closed Beta.

I've mostly been just doing the first two tiers of daily rewards and slowly expanding my pool of Silvers/Epics, with a focus on Neutrals and my preferred factions. I ain't got shit for Golds, but oh well.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I plan on aggressively shredding some commons with the patch offering full value on nerfed cards. If it's not in my main deck and it's worth the craft cost, I'm mulching it and hoping I open it later.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Finally installed this on my Xbox. Seems fun, but naturally the tutorial and the basic decks doesn't really give you much to go on. At least playing with a controller is pretty simple though, a little tedious but what can you do.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    another dev stream right now, looks like some changes from last patch stream, like SK buffs:

valiance on
  • Options
    Can't watch, but I'm guessing they listened to feedback regarding Queensguard and removing Veteran from Brokvar Hunters.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Spending money doesn't really get you shit (well, I suppose spending hundreds might). Most of the folks with large collections have such because they were part of Closed Beta.

I've mostly been just doing the first two tiers of daily rewards and slowly expanding my pool of Silvers/Epics, with a focus on Neutrals and my preferred factions. I ain't got shit for Golds, but oh well.

I'm slowly building up my collection and only dropped 15$ to support CDPR a little.

I'm floating around 1000 mmr and have no idea where that ranks for casual players?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I'm sure there are folks that have ascended who knows how far using starter decks, but I'd say Rank 8 is where it starts to feel like you need a better collection.