As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In the grim darkness of the 41st millennium there is only [chat]

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
So I play with little plastic dudes. One of the too many games I play is this little game called Warhammer 40k.

8th edition is released on Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltcj92gRwec

And man I'm busy so here's a story about Eldrad Ulthran.
You know, Eldrad Ulthran really is a dick. I've said it before, and I have absolutely no doubt that I will say it again. He has skill and power of heights that are only reachable, even for most Eldar, in their dreams, and how does he use them? He uses them like this:

Years ago, a minor Ork Waaagh sprung up and launched itself against the Mon-Keigh world they call Lentak II. It's an insignificant planet by any definition except, apparently, Eldrad's. He summoned me and told me we were going to Lentak, and that it was of the utmost importance to see that a certain battle took a particular course. He also told me to bring along the best sniper I could find, adding that "He might come in handy," with a wink like he was passing on some kind of secret message. Typical Eldrad behavior, that.

So, we get down to the surface of Lentak and locate the "important" battle, in a rocky pass high up in a mountain range. Eldrad isn't wearing his helmet, the better to display the horribly annoying half-smile that's on his face the whole time, the one he puts on when he knows something you don't and is about to use that information. I'm busy projecting an illusion to keep the Mon-Keigh and the Orks from noticing us, Eldrad and the sniper are just watching the battle from the rock outcrop where we're standing. Finally, Eldrad points at a particular Ork nob riding in the back of one of their wartrukks.

"That one. Take off his ear. His *left* ear. Right...now."

The sniper fires, cleanly severing the Ork's ear. The thing roars like the beast it is, looks around, and smacks the Ork beside it right off the back of the bouncing vehicle. The fallen Ork doesn't even have time to stop rolling before it gets run over by another Ork on a warbike; the bike nearly crashes, and one of the bombs sitting in a rack near the back bounces loose and falls to the ground. Eldrad looks at it, nods in satisfaction, and motions for us to leave.

Five of the Mon Keigh years pass. Five blessed, beloved years, in which I do not hear or see Eldrad a single time. I don't know where he was, or what he does when he's not busy being a dick; probably off seducing Tau or members of whatever other young race has caught his fancy recently. Anyway, those five years pass all too quickly, and then Eldrad comes back, contacts me, and tells me we're going back to Lentak II, just the two of us. This, of course, sets my teeth on edge, because I know he's going to do something unbearably dickish, but I can't exactly refuse the most important Farseer of my Craftworld.

Sure enough, we wind up back in that same mountain pass, watching a column of Imperial Guard troops march past. This time, we're down at roughly the same level as the guardsmen, but since there are only two of us, it's easy for me to project sufficient camouflage. Good thing, because Eldrad sure wasn't helping. I notice that the wreckage from the battle years ago hasn't been completely cleaned; some has been pushed up against the walls of the pass, some hasn't.

I belatedly remember the fallen bomb and start to look for it, but before I can spot it, a Chimera with a commissar riding in its open hatch finds it on its own. The explosion bounces the vehicle into the air, and the unsecured commissar goes flying. Shrapnel flies towards us and I dodge, rolling across the ground to avoid the splintered metal.

When I look up, I see Eldrad, standing with the sunrise behind him, posed like a statue with his head high and his fists on his hips. An instant later, the commissar's hat lands right on his head. And Eldrad, the dick, holds the pose and smirks at me. I almost dropped the illusion and let the mon-keigh kill us both, but then I realized Eldrad would probably have some way of escaping even that.

Never in my nearly twenty thousand years of life have I met a bigger dick than Eldrad Ulthran.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    hello i am a space ork made of fungus because why not

AMA

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is the point of .pdf?

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

AMA

Are you a fungi?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Girlfriend said no on the Kim Jong Un romper. That's disappointing.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What is the point of .pdf?

it's a portable format, for documents

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »

hit the gym lawyer up

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tape measure is some amateur shit

You lose fractions

Need a tailors tape

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular

AMA

Are you a fungi?

No, that is a myth.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    *Hits them with my sword*

• Options
    the story echo posted is great, where can i read more

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    who gives a shit about the 41st millenium, I wanna know what happens during the 41st Willenium!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    That is the perfect kind of 40k story.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I don't think the gym lawyer will approve it either

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So, I've already told you about how Eldrad Ulthran is a dick. You've heard it all, all the sad stories... except, of course, you haven't, because Eldrad constantly generates more indignities to pile upon me. I thought he'd give me a break after the incident on Tissalk Secunda; he really went too far on that one, and after they finally stopped laughing, the rest of the expeditionary force were giving him some funny looks. I thought he wouldn't do anything else so soon. I was wrong.

With the Grey Ones rising again to wage war against all life, many of our priorities have been shifted to meet this resurgent threat. Thus, when Eldrad said he was working on a project and needed the body of a Necron warrior, everyone assumed he meant it was for research into some kind of weapon to use against them. Under any other circumstances, getting the order from Eldrad to gather a raiding group together would have filled me with fear that I was going to be the butt of another joke, but even Eldrad has to be serious where the ancient enemy is concerned... right?

Besides, to be honest, I was too busy being afraid of the Grey Ones to worry about whatever dickish maneuver Eldrad must be planning. I've faced the mon-keigh, the Orks, our fallen brethren, and the horrors of the Warp, and such foes do not frighten me, but the soulless enemy does. They're so... cold. Nevertheless, let it not be said that I did not do my duty when called upon.

We flew almost to the edge of the galaxy; myself, my handpicked force, and Eldrad, who actually acted professionally during the long transit. I kept glancing over my shoulder, literally and metaphorically, expecting his true nature to assert itself, but we reached the tomb world without incident. We landed on that ancient soil, and all my senses were screaming at me to get back in the ship and get away, back to Ulthwe and (relative) safety. But we went further. We went down into a tomb, Eldrad opening the way for us.

Down in that darkness, I was more scared than I ever had been in my whole life, all 19,872 years of it; this was one of the most nerve-wracking (if not THE most nerve-wracking) tasks I'd ever been given as a member of Eldrad's retinue. Eldrad had a device with him, a band of wraithbone he claimed had taken him nearly a year to create; he told us that it would keep a Necron in stasis, regardless of what transpired. He also said that our presence wouldn't wake the tomb world; I just had to cling tight to my staff and pray that he was right. Naturally, Eldrad being Eldrad, we couldn't just grab the warrior closest to the entrance and run for it; we had to find the "right" one, which meant walking for nearly an hour into the tomb's depths before he finally selected one identical to every other warrior and locked the band around its head.

By the time we get back to the surface, which took even longer than going in because we dropped that heavy Necron no less than four times on the way back, I'm a bundle of nerves, and it only gets worse during the flight. I can't sleep inside our little ship, knowing that soulless killing machine is on board with us, knowing about the wars that they fought against our ancestors, and what kind of deaths the Eldar in those days met. It keeps running through my head that it's almost my birthday, that I'll soon be turning 19,873, and that I don't want to get snuffed out before I hit the twenty-thousand-year mark. That's no way for an Eldar to go.

The ship arrives back at Ulthwe the day before my birthday. Eldrad, grinning enigmatically, heads off to his workshop with the Necron, and I stumble up to my cozy dwelling bubble and fall straight into bed, still wearing the same warlock robes I've been wearing since the tomb world. Yes, it was nasty, like something a mon-keigh would do. I was so tired I didn't care. If that Necron wanted to get me, it'd have to fight through half of Ulthwe to reach me, coming from Eldrad's bubble complex. I slept at last.

Not that it helped much. In my dreams, I'm back in the tomb, with Grey Ones rising to life around me. I run, but I'm trapped; I try to fight, and I get torn into bleeding shreds. I wake up, feeling barely better than when I got off the mission ship, and realize that it's my birthday. Congratulations, self. Outside my bubble, I can sense the collected presence of family and friends, come to wish me success in my new year. Well, you only turn 19,873 once, so I drag myself out of bed, toss my grimy robes aside, and head for the shower; I figure a little session there should revive me enough to at least face my well-wishers graciously. I step through the bathroom door, pull back the shower curtain, and the Necron is in my shower cubicle.

THE NECRON IS IN MY SHOWER CUBICLE. Poised as if to strike, hands raised and clawed metal fingers spread - that memory is one I shall carry to the end of time.

I do the worst thing I possibly could. I panic. I scream at the top of my lungs and run headlong...out of the bathroom...out of my dwelling bubble...and come face-to-face with my birthday crowd. While wearing my "birthday suit," just like a scene from an embarrassing nightmare. There's a moment in which everyone goes silent - everyone except Eldrad, standing off to one side, his snickering audible to all.

I suspect that they'll still be talking about this when I turn 20,000. Thanks, Eldrad. Way to ruin my birthday.

What a dick.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    hello, I am an AMA. enact my eponym.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Speaking of North Korea, I feel tremendous sympathy for the college student who just came back from North Korea in a coma because they probably beat him nearly to death. But it's a weird sympathy, like the sympathy someone has for someone after they walked into a den full of hungry lions while wearing a meat suit and calling "here kitty kitty."

Like, this is a terrible terrible situation and result that was 100% avoidable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    who gives a shit about the 41st millenium, I wanna know what happens during the 41st Willenium!

People are totally getting jiggy with it.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Speaking of North Korea, I feel tremendous sympathy for the college student who just came back from North Korea in a coma because they probably beat him nearly to death. But it's a weird sympathy, like the sympathy someone has for someone after they walked into a den full of hungry lions while wearing a meat suit and calling "here kitty kitty."

o_O

'Avoidable' doesn't justify this shit.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    if you label something for Ralph Lauren are you enacting preponyms

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

think how amazing it will make your dick pics though

Your dick playfully poking out of kim jong un's mouth

your balls tickling his bottom teeth

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Necrons are the best. The Necron Lord in Dawn of War 1 could win battles by himself.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Life is dumb, and so can you.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

o_O

'Avoidable' doesn't justify this shit.

That has nothing to do with DA's comment.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    if you label something for Ralph Lauren are you enacting preponyms

Only if you throw up on it too

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Nearing 24 hours with no power.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    why do i always read "eponym" as "eponynym"

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I mean who hasn't provoked a brutal dictator on the suggestion of their drunk college friends

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular

Civilization has collapsed on this block. We must keep watch, for if we let our guard down for a second, our neighbors will kill us and ransack our house for our resources.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular

Did you just post via snail mail?

• Options

At least you have the internet, so you haven't fully descended into stone-age madness.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

It's a shitty situation in which the regime used very terrible evidence to "prove" he committed a crime. It's not quite on the level of just kidnapping him like they do other foreign nationals while they are at home (IIRC a Japanese couple were kidnapped by North Koreans while in Japan) or abroad.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Eldrad Ulthran is a dick. Khârn the Betrayer though, he's a lovable guy that loves playing funny pranks on the battlefield.
    I've been fairly insistent to you readers out there that Khârn the Betrayer was a pretty fun guy to be around. I know he gets a bad rap for the whole 'slaughtering his own allies' thing, but unless you've been there after a battle with him you don't really appreciate how much he strives to please his chaos god.

It was after one of our many conflicts that the Red Rivers Infantry were preparing to march on to our next destination. Never mind that it was half the planet away, we Traitor Guardsmen didn't get transport vehicles. So as you can imagine when someone declared they'd found an Imperial Drop-ship in working condition everyone clamored and fought to get a free ride to our next engagement.

Knowing full well I was too far away to get on the ship, I stayed with some of my fellow traitors at the battlefield. I'd seen Khârn after the battle, and as soon as we'd gotten our marching orders he was picking up corpses and putting them down elsewhere. This took an hour before he was satisfied, and seeing an audience he happily led us up onto a hill as the drop-ship flew a pass over the top of us, probably to gloat. Proudly, Khârn gestured to the battlefield, and then waved up at the drop-ship with his other hand. I peered down the hill, and realized he'd arranged the bodies to make out words, so many killed to form:

On your drop ship hull
    I planted a melta bomb
    Blood for the Blood God

It was at that point the drop-ship erupted in a violent plume, and crashed down on top of the haiku. Roaring in a cheer, we lifted Khârn up together and made to carry him to the next battlefield as a sign of our appreciation and devotion to his art.

We got about five paces before our spines liquefied, but Khârn didn't hold it against us for trying.

Seriously, what a guy.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I'm at 35 years

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So Eldrad is a huge dick, but I think I have proven that by now. What I haven't told you is that he is, without a doubt, the greatest psyker in the universe.

I never saw this more exemplified than when we went to deal with a splinter fleet of Hive Fleet Leviathan. The first thing Eldrad did was use his massive reservoir of power to redirect the entire hive fleet 0.3 degrees off course. At first we had no idea why, but he assured us there was a reason. 134 years later we encountered the swarm again, and now we saw his plan, the fleet was heading straight into a desolate backwater planet. Using yet more of his might, Eldrad hid the entire planet from the fleet's sight. This caused the entire hive fleet to crash square into the planet's surface. He then called for me and the rest of his retinue to sortie down to the planet, we had a mission.

Once on the surface the bleeding husks of charred hive ships loomed over us like cold organic volcanoes. And then in a clearing, we found our quarry, a mighty hive tyrant, its psychic eminence clouding my own mind like a thick whispering fog. Eldrad was not taken aback in the slightest, he stepped forward, unarmed, right into the clutches of the hive tyrant. He then began to emulate the hive tyrant's psychic powers, only at a much higher magnitude. He had made himself into a synapse creature of immense power. So much so he brow beat the mighty tyranid into submission. He then turned to us, tyranid leader in tow, and said, "We are returning, we have what we came for." Although impressed by Eldrad's mastery of the mind, we all could not stop pondering his master plan. Why would he need such a mighty beast? It was not till the next morning that I knew. Pasted throughout the ENTIRE CRAFTWORLD were pictures of the titanic monstrosity and its... titanic monstrosity resting on my face as I slept. I never even knew tyranids had genitalia.

What a dick.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    a friend of mine is like

i am so good at yoga i am going to start doing handstands and firing bows with my feet

and i'm like

i um assembled a table and one of four chairs before giving up because the styrofoam packaging annoyed me

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Congrats on uploading your consciousness to the cloud

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    *looks up number of countries*

there are 195 countries I'd visit before I'd visit North Korea

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It's a shitty situation in which the regime used very terrible evidence to "prove" he committed a crime. It's not quite on the level of just kidnapping him like they do other foreign nationals while they are at home (IIRC a Japanese couple were kidnapped by North Koreans while in Japan) or abroad.

it's kind of like.. vacationing or visiting totalitarian dictatorships is a bad idea or something

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Yeah, it's more on the level of poking a big angry grizzly bear with a sharp stick while being covered in honey. At some point in your decision process you decided to strip naked, cover yourself in honey, find a sharp stick, find an angry grizzly bear and still, at that point, proceed to poke the bear with the stick.

This discussion has been closed.