As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] AMD Radeon Chief Architect Raja Koduri Moves to Intel =O

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Variable sync is doooooooope.

The requirement to match GPUs to screens because of competing technologies is duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

NVIDIA gonna special snowflake.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm not happy about it, but...acknowledging my own love of the X800Pro and X1900XT of yester-year....missing out on new sync technology is a fairly small price to pay for staying with Nvidia's driver support and other positive aspects of their ecosystem when combined with my generally very positive experience with EVGA.

(Which isn't always positive, as I'll occasionally come crying with whatever bug has arisen.)

Also, an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW is one piece of work, in a good way.

That won't always be true of course, but I won't always be using a GTX 1080 either. My 27UD68-P is going to outlast my video card (or at least that's the plan), maybe AMD is in my future.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Oh, what is the best way to install these new goodies?

Uninstall/clean AMD drivers
    Install 1050 Ti
    Swap motherboard and CPU

I suppose it makes sense to NOT just swap out both at once.

1) take motherboard+cpu+video card out of the case
    2) place new motherboard+cpu into the case
    3) insert new video card into appropriate slot on the motherboard
    4) insert install media into drive and begin the install process for Windows again

Although Windows 7,8, and 10 have improved driver hassle with switching out shit like motherboards and CPUs, it really is one of those things where you should start from fresh

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Oh, what is the best way to install these new goodies?

Uninstall/clean AMD drivers
    Install 1050 Ti
    Swap motherboard and CPU

I suppose it makes sense to NOT just swap out both at once.

1) take motherboard+cpu+video card out of the case
    2) place new motherboard+cpu into the case
    3) insert new video card into appropriate slot on the motherboard
    4) insert install media into drive and begin the install process for Windows again

Although Windows 7,8, and 10 have improved driver hassle with switching out shit like motherboards and CPUs, it really is one of those things where you should start from fresh

Thanks! But seeing as how I've only got a Windows 7 disc (I took advantage of the free upgrade to 10), that might be tricky.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    You can download the Win10 ISO and use your key from 7.

• Options
    Yup, download the win10 image, install it to CD or USB drive, then install it that way. It should let you reauth with your windows 7 key.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Cool. Thanks.

Also, looks like the CPU and board may actually arrive tomorrow.

So I guess I'll get those installed with the old GPU for a few days.

• Options
    Aw, shitsnacks. Just realized what reinstalling Windows means.

Clean up C: or buy a new HDD...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I delidded my 7700k today. I used the Rockit 88 delidding tool, it was pretty easy.

Previously I had it cooled with Arctic Silver 5 and a Corsair h100i. No overclocking. Temperatures during gaming would get up to 85C, during Prime 95 tests i saw high 90C's.

Now, I have Coolaboratory liquid ultra on the CPU die and Thermal Grizzly kryonaut in between the cpu lid and the h100i.

Prime 95 temps: 56C - 62C

30+ C drops in temperature

now some amount of that might be a poor initial seating of my cooler, but I'm pretty sure I put it on there correctly. These are fucking ridiculous results. Now I feel comfortable overclocking, which I will probably do next week.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    dayum

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    If it is rock solid with the old card I'd say it was a defective new card. Obvious way to confirm that, of course.

I mean, I figure it was just the new card, but is there a chance anything else might be to blame as well? It was fishy to me that the computer still wouldn't start even after removing the new card.

I ask bc I'm going to get another 1070 gtx as soon as I can get a good price on one again and would rather not have to go through this kind of thing again. If the psu or ram, say, are possibly also failing, I could replace them at the same time.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    What are the chances that intel will use better thermal paste on their upcoming cpu's? Because customers shouldn't have to go through the trouble of delidding/voiding warranty to run at a safe temperature.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    What are the chances that intel will use better thermal paste on their upcoming cpu's? Because customers shouldn't have to go through the trouble of delidding/voiding warranty to run at a safe temperature.

Zero

• Options
    MetacortexMetacortex The Prettiest Zombie Coeur d'CoeursRegistered User regular
    I built a thing for the first time. Seems to have gone well.

9hl4etj44eyc.jpg

4FNao2T.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So I have my CPU, mobo and ram already set up and just need to pop it into the case, replacing the stuff I got in the already. What I'm curious about is if I need to reinstall windows 10. I do have an ssd arriving tomorrow (Saturday) but I was thinking getting it setup today and adding the ssd afterwards.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Man. Everyone is using the NZXT S340/Pro cases in builds I see online these days. Probably because they look so good.

As for a component question, where are the 2TB NVMe drives? I only really see the Samsung 960 pro, and it's ludicrously $300 more expensive than two 1TB 960 Evo drives from them that are nearly as fast and more modern.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Metacortex wrote: »
    I built a thing for the first time. Seems to have gone well.

9hl4etj44eyc.jpg

I see a lot of excellent part choices in that rig. Clearly you were led in the correct direction by a knowledgeable entity.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    So I have my CPU, mobo and ram already set up and just need to pop it into the case, replacing the stuff I got in the already. What I'm curious about is if I need to reinstall windows 10. I do have an ssd arriving tomorrow (Saturday) but I was thinking getting it setup today and adding the ssd afterwards.

You want your OS on the SSD.

• Options
    You want everything except small documents on an SSD

Like if it's a word file, jpeg, or mp4/mp3, that's fine, put that on a platter.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    If it is rock solid with the old card I'd say it was a defective new card. Obvious way to confirm that, of course.

I mean, I figure it was just the new card, but is there a chance anything else might be to blame as well? It was fishy to me that the computer still wouldn't start even after removing the new card.

I ask bc I'm going to get another 1070 gtx as soon as I can get a good price on one again and would rather not have to go through this kind of thing again. If the psu or ram, say, are possibly also failing, I could replace them at the same time.

There's always a chance. Any problem since you switched back? If not I'd assume things are fine until more problem pop up.

You could run memory tests to check RAM.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular

Is it really just for booting up the pc? LIke, that seems really expensive to gain a few seconds of boot speed?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Is it really just for booting up the pc? LIke, that seems really expensive to gain a few seconds of boot speed?
    Every OS system task that requires retrieving data will benefit from it. Your boot up time will just be the most noticeable.

SSD prices are certainly a bit higher than HDDs, but if you care at all about how fast your PC is, you will enjoy a SSD immensely.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Epyc prices, specs, and performance leaks.
    The fact that the 16 core server chip starts at $600, along with the Ryzen price drops, is making me feel like Threadripper will actually be affordable.

Also, ha. The 8 core chip still has you channel memory and 128 PCIe lanes.

I have a feeling AMD is going to eat into Intel's server marketshare something hardcore if these prices are legit.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Heatwave wrote: »

Zero
    Well, maybe if I wish hard enough something will come out of it

3wZr7om.jpg

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Marty81 wrote: »

There's always a chance. Any problem since you switched back? If not I'd assume things are fine until more problem pop up.

You could run memory tests to check RAM.

Also use a program like CPUID or HWMonitor to check your voltages on your PSU. There are external testers for PSUs, but they will require you to unplug the PSU from your rig to get accurate voltage numbers. If nothing seems out of the ordinary, then it was the vidcard.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    11 days and I get tp build my new PC! have everything I need except for the GPU at the moment
    Was hoping Vega would have dropped by now but alas it was not to be. So will be looking at a 1080 for now. might offload it if Vega turns out to be better and cheaper. (one can dream)

if anyone is interested in the build -> https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/cdz2M8

BTW, anyone know which 1080s have the hdmi ports on the card itself like the Gigabyte Aurous extreme edition cards?

*edit as i forgot the link*

UseR2006 on
    "I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    My card has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI on board.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    My card has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI on board.

I mean more like this...
    4gak7x2dgu32.jpg

Because the S340 Elite has that Hdmi Front panel port and I would love to run it straight to the GPU rather than use up a rear hdmi port.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What purpose does that serve?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Mostly it's a VR thing. Instead of having the wires going to the back of your rig you just plug them into the front, if your case has front mounted HDMI of course.

• Options
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Mostly it's a VR thing. Instead of having the wires going to the back of your rig you just plug them into the front, if your case has front mounted HDMI of course.

Oh snap, I'd like to know this information too.

• Options
    I've been messing around with overclocking my system since I now actually have reasonable temperatures.

on the 7700k: managed to get 5.1 Ghz with an AVX offset of 3, at 1.38 vcore. with lower AVX offsets, one or two cores fail the Prime 95 stress tests. They would still pass ROG RealBench stress tests with an AVX of 2. I was passing most tests at 1.37 but sometimes prime95 would fail a couple cores.

Also have XMP enabled on my RAM, 3600Mhz 16-16-16-36. Prior to the delidding and overclocking I could not get this to work.

I previously overclocked my 1080ti founders, with just the stock cooler. Have that at +147 Mhz GPU clock, +508 Mhz Memory clock.

CPU temps seem to max out around 72C, corsair h100i coolant temps max out around 31-32C, GPU maxes out around 65-70C after long periods of use.

I think these settings might be the sweet spot for what I have.

Still totally ridiculous that I now get much better temperatures after delidding, at 5.1 Ghz (or 4.8 Ghz in Prime95 factoring in the AVX offset) than I did with stock settings just running games..... which don't stress the cpu nearly as much as prime 95.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Question, guys? Is there such a thing as a 1155X socket different from an 1155 socket, for processors? Because a friend of mine got a fried comp, but she's insisting that the socket is 1155X which is different from 1155, and I swear I had never heard of such a thing and google doesn't seem to give me much help.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Im leaning towards them being the same thing

If you could find out the motherboard model and cpu model in question that would help

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Question, guys? Is there such a thing as a 1155X socket different from an 1155 socket, for processors? Because a friend of mine got a fried comp, but she's insisting that the socket is 1155X which is different from 1155, and I swear I had never heard of such a thing and google doesn't seem to give me much help.

That doesn't exist unless someone made a custom socket!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Good to know. 1155 it is, We'll see if we can find her something that doesn't break the bank for the socket in question.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    So somebody screwed up my shipping estimate.

Looks like CPU and board will be arriving tomorrow.

I can't complain at all, since 4-7 day shipping will be 2.

Meanwhile, Amazon has the GPU in stock, they just won't ship it for 4 more days as a fuck you for not having Prime.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Bros.

Have a 4690k.... and 1440p mon with 1070. Cpu is holding me back from all ultra settings 60 fps in most cases.

Will moving to a i7 7700k make the difference here? Is that enough of a jump?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nz8vtJ

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So those fancy new 10 cores processor Intel has see temperatures of 100c with overclocking and using a AIO

Jesus H Christ, Intel, you have so much to lose with stuff like this.

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2017/06/16/intel-core-i9-7900x-and-x299-chipset-revie/8

This discussion has been closed.