As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ugly [Chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    In my mind most human beings would be lawful neutral as we rarely go out of our way to do good in the world.

Fuck that chaotic neural, most people don't go out of the way to do good, and have very little in the way of forethought as to how they will respond in extreme situations.

I don't think this has much to do with chaotic vs neutral. Most people have a pretty entrenched respect for authority and a desire for law and order, which imo makes them lawful.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Lawful Good is the most exhausting alignment

In a typical, functional game, I think most players should be lawful good, as it's the easiest and most intuitive heroic alignment.

I shoot the hostage

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Hot take

Nobody has a gun to their head forcing them to participate in the alignment discussion

Or any other discussion

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Chaotic simply means unpredictable.

You have little in the way of set codes.

You don't sit and say weather theft is a universal no go, you judge based on the situation weather or not you are willing to steal. The motivations behind that choice determine the moral fiber of your character. Robbing an evil tyrannical duke so as to fund an orphanage? Good. Robbing the king in a way that hurts few people, because you take little and his fortune is so vast, so you can get paid? neutral at best. Robbing an old lady so you can use the magic ring she didn't know she had so you can use it to start a war? Evil.

I think this is too simplistic and not applicable across different scales and settings.

It's supposed to be a gross simplification of a highly complex and long running debate called philosophy

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Man, unintentionally starting the Alignment talk is the WORST thing. :( I am a bad person. I shall diminish, and go into the West.

You're not bad. You're just chaotic passive aggressive.

The REAL alignment system should have just been a collection of personality disorders.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Well this is a weird essay this kid wrote. Has stuff about how a lack of diversity in computer science is because white males are "the only race" that sits in front of a computer all day while "other races" go outside and try to help the world.

That's uh...very strange phrasing there kiddo.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

You don't sit and say weather theft is a universal no go, you judge based on the situation weather or not you are willing to steal. The motivations behind that choice determine the moral fiber of your character. Robbing an evil tyrannical duke so as to fund an orphanage? Good. Robbing the king in a way that hurts few people, because you take little and his fortune is so vast, so you can get paid? neutral at best. Robbing an old lady so you can use the magic ring she didn't know she had so you can use it to start a war? Evil.

I think this is too simplistic and not applicable across different scales and settings.

Almost as if

Alignment systems are stupid and discussions about them are doomed to have forty years of baggage of player interpretation and personal anecdote making the entire subject pointless

Alignment systems are fun and discussing alignment systems is fun and trying to talk about general guiding principles of human behavior is fun

But see above disclaimer on only ever having slapped alignments on characters descriptively after/during a campaign, as well as trying to define what it means at different scales, rather than using a poorly defined concept of alignment as an uncompromising guide to roleplaying

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I am neutral hungry

chaotic full

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    meanwhile Dennis is lawful evil, always trying to get people to sign contracts etc so he is justified in his nefarious deeds

But he is also constantly breaking the law, lying, violating contracts, and acting out his bizarre impulses and storms of rage.

Obviously Always Sunny characters are far too rich and complex to be contained within these silly alignments, except charlie who is obviously the purest chaotic neutral

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Well this is a weird essay this kid wrote. Has stuff about how a lack of diversity in computer science is because white males are "the only race" that sits in front of a computer all day while "other races" go outside and try to help the world.

That's uh...very strange phrasing there kiddo.

You should ask them to cite sources.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Man, unintentionally starting the Alignment talk is the WORST thing. :( I am a bad person. I shall diminish, and go into the West.

You're not bad. You're just chaotic passive aggressive.

The REAL alignment system should have just been a collection of personality disorders.

Oh god.

Chaotic OCD.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Arch my nephew, who is 2, saw a big beetle the other day and called out to my brother (his dad). My brother grabbed a tissue and my nephew yelled "daddy no!" thinking my brother intended to squish it, and instead pointed to the door.

So my brother gently picked the beetle up, took it outside as my nephew watched, and let it go

my nephew clapped and was happy and went to go watch cartoons meanwhile my brother was shot to death in PUBG because he had got up from his computer to see what his son was yelling about

I call it "Never Have Kids."

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I would be interested in playing a D&D game that treated Law and Chaos the way Gygax and Arneson used them (which is to say, the way Michael Moorcock used them) - as active metaphysical forces in the world with their own agents and agendas rather than simply as a measure of your dude's compliance to local customs

• Options
    wait are "white males" a race?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Also applying D&D alignments to real people and real world situations is bound to get offensive and stupid

This is a Cassandra truth and nobody is going to listen to me but I'm going to say it anyway

If you must persist in this foolish alignment conversation, if you don't restrict it to talking about rangers and paladins and the ethics of killing goblins you're in for a bad time, [chat]

don't listen to me if you want, I'm not your real dad*

*so far as I know

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Nah we are winners, the race was already won.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I would be interested in playing a D&D game that treated Law and Chaos the way Gygax and Arneson used them (which is to say, the way Michael Moorcock used them) - as active metaphysical forces in the world with their own agents and agendas rather than simply as a measure of your dude's compliance to local customs

Heh.

Moorcock

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

According to this essay, yes.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Its easier to just say Chilli than chilli con carne con frijoles.

I also think it is totes adorbs how texans go full-on controlling on what a chili is - much like how the french say there is only one way to make an omelette or a bechamel.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »
    meanwhile Dennis is lawful evil, always trying to get people to sign contracts etc so he is justified in his nefarious deeds

But he is also constantly breaking the law, lying, violating contracts, and acting out his bizarre impulses and storms of rage.

Obviously Always Sunny characters are far too rich and complex to be contained within these silly alignments, except charlie who is obviously the purest chaotic neutral

I think he might be the only one that could be aligned good. He doesn't really do much in the way of self interest ... mostly because he has so little self-esteem and probably doesn't even think he deserves good to come his way ... and makes most of his choices based on what's best for the waitress and Frank, and is usually one of the first people to feel a tinge of discomfort when something is obviously bad.

The problem is that he is too stupid and / or high to be able to correctly analyze the situation

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    I mean, the base assumption of D&D is that you kill things and take their stuff. Obviously the morality in the game isn't the same as ours.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Its easier to just say Chilli than chilli con carne con frijoles.

I also think it is totes adorbs how texans go full-on controlling on what a chili is - much like how the french say there is only one way to make an omelette or a bechamel.

Not so much chili, way more for brisket

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Almost as if

Alignment systems are stupid and discussions about them are doomed to have forty years of baggage of player interpretation and personal anecdote making the entire subject pointless

Alignment systems are fun and discussing alignment systems is fun and trying to talk about general guiding principles of human behavior is fun

But see above disclaimer on only ever having slapped alignments on characters descriptively after/during a campaign, as well as trying to define what it means at different scales, rather than using a poorly defined concept of alignment as an uncompromising guide to roleplaying

I find it generally coalesces in a character towards the end of its run. Like after a while i figure out what my alignment is given past performance and what i think the character's philosophy is moving forwards.

Like after a while you realize your pirate king monk is probably lawful evil, and you just start to swing into it.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I wish certain RPGs were less insistent on calling the lizardmen a different race from the white people who are considered a different race from the black people in the setting because that is just weird.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

Reminds me of Ultima's Order and Chaos

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    I am farting so much right now.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    help

*shht*

I'm trapp*shht*

bring me *shht*

red page

t4cLQ7r.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

one of the better part of the planes in old D&D/AD&D and then perfected in planescape, was the personification of those concepts.

The blood war, and how archons and baatezu would work together because their adherence to the force of law was more compelling than their good or evil intentions... modrons being the physical embodiment of neutral machinery...

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was careening by at warp 3.4

@Quid will create the new thread
    @syndalis is backup

This discussion has been closed.