Options

Russia/Trump investigation: Mueller has convened a grand jury

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm really asking.
    My knowledge of US politics and law is basically all from TV, so if John Spencer didn't explain it on The West Wing, I don't understand it.
    What is the actual difference between testifying and testifying under oath?

Basically there are two separate laws, one about lying under oath and one about lying in general.
    Section 1621 covers general perjury, and stipulates that anyone who "willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true" is guilty of perjury and shall be fined or imprisoned up to five years, or both. Section 1001 covers false statements more generally, without requiring an oath. The section stipulates that "whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the government of the United States, knowingly and willfully" falsifies or conceals information, including before a congressional committee's inquiry, may also be fined or imprisoned up to five years.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/07/what-happens-if-you-lie-to-congress.html
    ...So the oath doesn't make any difference whatsoever?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yeah but closed session means no one cares and won't do anything about it

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I'm really asking.
    My knowledge of US politics and law is basically all from TV, so if John Spencer didn't explain it on The West Wing, I don't understand it.

Basically there are two separate laws, one about lying under oath and one about lying in general.
    Section 1621 covers general perjury, and stipulates that anyone who "willfully and contrary to such oath states or subscribes any material matter which he does not believe to be true" is guilty of perjury and shall be fined or imprisoned up to five years, or both. Section 1001 covers false statements more generally, without requiring an oath. The section stipulates that "whoever, in any matter within the jurisdiction of the executive, legislative, or judicial branch of the government of the United States, knowingly and willfully" falsifies or conceals information, including before a congressional committee's inquiry, may also be fined or imprisoned up to five years.

If you lie under oath, you're violating two laws, with a possibility of 10 years in prison. Not under oath is just 5, max.

• Options
    I'm really asking.

If you lie under oath, you're violating two laws, with a possibility of 10 years in prison. Not under oath is just 5, max.

Oh, so the debuffs stack. Gotcha.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I'm really asking.

Oh, so the debuffs stack. Gotcha.

And if you're under oath you can't claim ignorance. It means one less excuse for the witness if they decide to try and be a goose.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    Hey, remember this from Scaramucci?
    Somebody said to me yesterday — I won't tell you who — that if the Russians actually hacked this situation and spilled out those e-mails, you would have never seen it. ... You would have never had any evidence of them, meaning that they're super confident in their deception skills and hacking. My point is, all of the information isn't on the table yet.

Then he admitted the source was the President

I wonder where that idea came from ...
    But when Mr. Trump met Mr. Putin in Hamburg, Germany, two weeks ago, he did not utter similar suspicions, at least in public. In fact, he emerged to tell his aides that the Russian president had offered a compelling rejoinder: Moscow’s cyberoperators are so good at covert computer-network operations that if they had dipped into the Democratic National Committee’s systems, they would not have been caught.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/world/europe/trump-putin-sanctions-hacking.html

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So yeah, our communications director and president are parroting propaganda from Putin himself.

This is fine. Right, congressional pubs? This is cool, right?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I was about to post the Putin thing.

Trump is like a middle schooler whose favorite movie changes based on the last thing the he overheard the cool kids saying.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    It's weird he would trust Putin over his own national security advisors, who said Russia was definitely involved.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
  • Options
    It's weird he would trust Putin over his own national security advisors, who said Russia was definitely involved.
    One of them said he was great and it was an honor to meet him and what a great handshake he has, and one of them tried to tell him something important that wasn't how great he was and what an honor it was to meet him and what a great handshake he had.
    It's not hard to see why he picked his side.

• Options
    Is it just me or wouldn't any occasion where you sit down with another country's spy recruiters be significant?

I guess it stops being new after a while

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Explaining why Russia's capabilities are not that amazing and how pretty much no one's abilities are that amazing would probably take time and he would stop listening after five seconds.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Explaining why Russia's capabilities are not that amazing and how pretty much no one's abilities are that amazing would probably take time and he would stop listening after five seconds.

Also, Russia likes it when people know they did it

• Options
    edited July 2017
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/kushner-defends-himself-ahead-of-senate-intel-meeting-i-did-not-collude-240870
    Instead, Kushner paints a picture of himself as a loyal, overworked, under-experienced senior adviser to his father-in-law during a novice campaign that was never staffed up to win.
    “I am not a person who has sought the spotlight,” Kushner says in his opening statement, according to a copy provided to POLITICO. But he explains that after Trump clinched the Republican nomination, his father-in-law asked Kushner to be the point of contact for foreign governments, and he was in touch with emissaries from 15 different countries, including Russia. To put his hectic life and schedule into context — and explain away his presence at a meeting where a Russian lawyer was hawking opposition research about Hillary Clinton — he also writes that he typically received about 200 emails a day during the campaign, and often didn’t read through every exchange.

In his opening testimony, he walks through each of his four meetings with the Russians, downplaying all of them to brief, pro forma interactions that lead to no follow-ups.
    200 emails a day really is not amazing.

Edit:

This is the saddest thing

Couscous on
  • Options
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Our poor beleaguered Attorney General.

Keep it up Trump. He's more likely to make a deal just to spite you than fall on a sword for you.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    "Our beleaguered AG" is a pretty big name for a bus. It's gonna take a while for it to go fully over Sessions' body.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Trump's tweets are what is known as "Whataboutism", which, coincidentally, is a favored technique from the USSR.
    Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery in British English) is a variant of tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument, which is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world

• Options

Ah, yes, ‘Russians’. The nation that allegedly interfered in US elections. We have dismissed this claim.

• Options
    He's got a perfect mix of Whataboutism and gaslighting going.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »

He also stated firmly that there were no other meetings. Which basically means we'll find out about another secret meeting any time now.

• Options
    Huh, Don Jr. And Manafort won't testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee and might be subpoenaed.

CNN reporter

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Well between that and the NYT "waiting for comment" on the Emails it seems like Jr. has a pattern of disregarding verbal agreements.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Ah, yes, ‘Russians’. The nation that allegedly interfered in US elections. We have dismissed this claim.

Fox News was playing clips of Schiff 15 minutes before this tweet.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/24/kushner-defends-himself-ahead-of-senate-intel-meeting-i-did-not-collude-240870
    Instead, Kushner paints a picture of himself as a loyal, overworked, under-experienced senior adviser to his father-in-law during a novice campaign that was never staffed up to win.
    “I am not a person who has sought the spotlight,” Kushner says in his opening statement, according to a copy provided to POLITICO. But he explains that after Trump clinched the Republican nomination, his father-in-law asked Kushner to be the point of contact for foreign governments, and he was in touch with emissaries from 15 different countries, including Russia. To put his hectic life and schedule into context — and explain away his presence at a meeting where a Russian lawyer was hawking opposition research about Hillary Clinton — he also writes that he typically received about 200 emails a day during the campaign, and often didn’t read through every exchange.

In his opening testimony, he walks through each of his four meetings with the Russians, downplaying all of them to brief, pro forma interactions that lead to no follow-ups.

Nope. Plus he had staff to help with it. Plus the goddamn subject line was: "Russia - Clinton - private and confidential"

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Fox News was playing clips of Schiff 15 minutes before this tweet.

Fucking

of course

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Can someone send a vet to Trump tower?

Their dog has eaten WAY too much homework to be healthy.

• Options
    Ugh gross

​Exclusive: Trump ponders Rudy Giuliani for attorney general

President Trump is so unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he has raised the possibility of bringing back Rudolph Giuliani to head the Justice Department, according to West Wing confidants.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

Nope. Plus he had staff. Plus the goddamn subject line was: Russia - Clinton - private and confidential

moniker on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Ugh gross

President Trump is so unhappy with Attorney General Jeff Sessions that he has raised the possibility of bringing back Rudolph Giuliani to head the Justice Department, according to West Wing confidants.

Won't he be too busy doing the cyber for the whitehouse?

Also: I gotta love how trump is still trying to play pin the tale on the donkey with hillary.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Trump's tweets are what is known as "Whataboutism", which, coincidentally, is a favored technique from the USSR.
    Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery in British English) is a variant of tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument, which is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the Soviet response would be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world

I'm adding "whataboutery" to my lexicon, and I'm going to try using it in conversation as often as possible.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Well between that and the NYT "waiting for comment" on the Emails it seems like Jr. has a pattern of disregarding verbal agreements.

Like father, like son

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Ugh gross

Also: I gotta love how trump is still trying to play pin the tale on the donkey with hillary.

Can't Trump just ask Sessions to begin an investigation if he feels so strongly about it?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Ugh gross

Can't Trump just ask Sessions to begin an investigation if he feels so strongly about it?

Sessions is Mueller's now.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017

Edit:

This is the saddest thing

Ah the i'm too stupid to commit a crime defense.

Roz on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Hey, remember this from Scaramucci?
    Somebody said to me yesterday — I won't tell you who — that if the Russians actually hacked this situation and spilled out those e-mails, you would have never seen it. ... You would have never had any evidence of them, meaning that they're super confident in their deception skills and hacking. My point is, all of the information isn't on the table yet.

Then he admitted the source was the President

I wonder where that idea came from ...
    But when Mr. Trump met Mr. Putin in Hamburg, Germany, two weeks ago, he did not utter similar suspicions, at least in public. In fact, he emerged to tell his aides that the Russian president had offered a compelling rejoinder: Moscow’s cyberoperators are so good at covert computer-network operations that if they had dipped into the Democratic National Committee’s systems, they would not have been caught.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/world/europe/trump-putin-sanctions-hacking.html

In a werewolf game I once tried to convince everyone I couldnt be the werewolf because if I were, they would never suspect me. Almost noone bought it, and everyone else thought it was funny. Now we have real people reassured that a world power said this, second hand?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I get well over 200 emails a day and I'm a software engineer, not a real estate tycoon slash campaign advisor slash money laundry. I'm kind of astounded he gets so few unless he has staff who specifically filter his emails for him.

Who exactly, in Trump's mind, is beleaguering Sessions? The media? Because I feel like in recent history Sessions' biggest beleaguerer is Trump himself.

Also I desperately wish there were someone who could go lean into the Oval after Trump drops one of these piles of shit on twitter and yell the answer at him. "Because you made most of them up in your fat head and they're a little bit busy with INVESTIGATING THE SITTING PRESIDENT FOR ESPIONAGE, YOU ORANGE FUCK."

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Ugh gross

The DoJ is supposed to be independent, and not the attack dog of the President. Allowing the President to order investigations into political enemies would be very dangerous.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Ugh gross

Eventually Trump is gonna run out of people that shoveled shit for him during the campaign.

This discussion has been closed.