Options

[GoT][ASoIaF] S7 OPEN SPOILERS Open Throttle, Blurred Scenery [Read OP]

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I think the dragon is a wight, not a walker. The walkers all look like humans, we haven't seen anything else that way. The animals still act like animals though, horses and the bear and etc. I'm guessing the dragon will still be able of some pretty smart reasoning as a magical creature, though still under the thrall of the Night's King.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Aren't the dragons technically wyverns?

Dragons have four legs and two wings. Wyverns have two legs and two wings.

Mother of wyverns. Wyv-o-lich?

RT800 on
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »

Pretty sure the dragons have four legs.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Pretty sure the dragons have four legs.

Looks like two legs, two wing/arms.

https://i.imgur.com/YM0st6q.jpg

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    If you want to get down to the source, GRRM says "wyverns don't breath fire".

• Options
    Ah, it's the arms that threw off my recollection. They're as big as the legs, just with winghands.

http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1527766/game-thrones-dragons.jpg

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    It's a whole real-taxonomy-vs.-fantasy-convention thing. "Realistic" dragons have two legs and two wings, because a) real vertebrates tend to have four limbs or fewer (if one counts the tail as an extension of the spine), b) real winged vertebrates have an equivalent number of wings and legs. Classical fantasy dragons have four legs and two wings because they look more majestic that way, like lizard-cats with a cape, but that gives them six limbs. We only think of the other way as being a wyvern because D&D and inspired universes that have both tend to make the distinction plain by making wyverns look like "realistic" dragons.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    There is some hinting in the books that dragons might be literal aliens - Dany's handmaids recount a legend that they hatched from a second moon, which I theorize could represent a garbled account of a spaceship. Therefore having six limbs when the other animals in the world have four is not an error.

• Options
    There is some hinting in the books that dragons might be literal aliens - Dany's handmaids recount a legend that they hatched from a second moon, which I theorize could represent a garbled account of a spaceship. Therefore having six limbs when the other animals in the world have four is not an error.

Every period of that world's history: wildly more fantastical than the current one.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I just had a thought. Is it possible dragon fire doesn't affect the WWs? The Night King passes through the fire pretty easily.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I just had a thought. Is it possible dragon fire doesn't affect the WWs? The Night King passes through the fire pretty easily.

He radiates cold, the fire extinguished ~1m in front of him. He didn't actually come into contact with it.

Maybe he could extinguish/survive Beric's flaming sword, but I'm pretty sure a dragon breathing directly on him is going to kill him instantly.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, he walked through a patch of smoldering zombos.
    Nuclear dragonfire it was not.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we've seen that effect before in Hardhome.

maybe it's like how Wildfire is green for a few seconds before turning yellow, the impossible heat of Dragonfire only applies for a few seconds before settling to 'normal'

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, we've seen that effect before in Hardhome.

maybe it's like how Wildfire is green for a few seconds before turning yellow, the impossible heat of Dragonfire only applies for a few seconds before settling to 'normal'

Makes sense, really. Whatever burning slag is projecting from them could be 5 million degrees, but any material that ignites as a result is only going to burn as hot as that material and oxygen allows.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    For all the episode's flaws, they did a good job of setting up how dangerous the dragons were against mundane warfare in Spoils of War then instantly spinning it on its head when they went up against the WWs.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Honestly I can see the Night King being equal to dragonfire. He's the personification of winter right? He's the coldest shit that ever colded. I'd love them to do a Dragonball Z style scene where Drogon rolls up and FWOOOOOSH dragonfires him and all you see is fire and steam and smoke and everybody cheers, We won!

But then the smoke clears a little and GASP there the Night King stands alive and well. Maybe show him damaged a little, a layer of his frozen flesh melted off but then it shifts and freezes again liquid metal Terminator style.

Then, for the first time ever, emotion from a White Walker. Night King is fucking pissed now and he scowls.

• Options
    I'm hoping for the endgame to be an honest-to-god swordfight between Jon and the Night King, nothing less will do.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Honestly I can see the Night King being equal to dragonfire. He's the personification of winter right? He's the coldest shit that ever colded.

I object on the premise that there is a finite number of joules required turn any quantity of H2O at 0K into liquid or gaseous state. And it is not terribly many, by volume.

Counterpoint: Ice magic requires interdimensional siphoning of heat energy.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Someone was wondering about the dragon being alive after the landing? Nope nope. Landing head first into the lake on top of the eyes rolling to the back of the skull? Dead dead

• Options
    How badass would it've been if Viserion had burst back out of the ice with Jon on his back though?

Just saying.

So badass.

In my head.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I was worried for Tormund when he started talking about having a girl back home.

Also . . . do the zombies just carry massive chains around all the time?
    We were but non zombies had culturally appropriated chains.

hqdefault.jpg

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Man, Beric continues to have awesome delivery. Haven't seen that actor in other roles, but he's got this one nailed.
    @CaptainPeacock

Fortitude-Season-2-Episode-10-1-eebd.jpg

If you have Amazon Prime, Richard Dormer is also great in Fortitude.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm hoping for the endgame to be an honest-to-god swordfight between Jon and the Night King, nothing less will do.

The End Boss.
    In the books so far there is no indication of the White Walkers (the Others) having a king. I think the TV show created him because they needed a boss character that the good guys could defeat and then all would be well.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I think being submerged is fatal to dragons, regardless of any ice lance situations

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Man, Beric continues to have awesome delivery. Haven't seen that actor in other roles, but he's got this one nailed.

His voice is just so ... deep and smooth and yet a bit rumbly.

I kind of just want to like, maybe just lay my head down on his chest while he tells me more about the lord of light or something.
    I should probably keep things like that to myself though

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    @CaptainPeacock

It was fucking crazy to me when I learned he isn't actually Norweigian, dudes amazing

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    His voice is like a fine, aged scotch. I could sip it for hours...

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    @CaptainPeacock

He is great in Fortitude, but Fortitude is not great around him.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    How badass would it've been if Viserion had burst back out of the ice with Jon on his back though?

Just saying.

So badass.

In my head.

Still don't get why Dany would name one of her kids after her super-asshole brother who basically sold her as a slave. That dragon was always destined to fail.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    So I'm thinking Qyburn's crossbow's will be used with some dragon glass against the Necrodragon, and Dany possibly dies fighting it on Drogon clearing the way for Jon's ascension. I also think the undead really need to time warp and attack kings landing, because at the rate they're going it'll take til season 14 just to get to Winterfell.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    So I'm thinking Qyburn's crossbow's will be used with some dragon glass against the Necrodragon, and Dany possibly dies fighting it on Drogon clearing the way for Jon's ascension. I also think the undead really need to time warp and attack kings landing, because at the rate they're going it'll take til season 14 just to get to Winterfell.

What are they waiting for I wonder?

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    A dragon to melt the wall with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Just saying.

So badass.

In my head.

Still don't get why Dany would name one of her kids after her super-asshole brother who basically sold her as a slave. That dragon was always destined to fail.

Yeah, but he wasn't always a super-asshole/she didn't see him that way. He did (help) get her to the point he turned into a raging asshat, even if it was in his best interest. He was her brother. And it may have been a "You do better than/redeem the last one." type thing.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »

Just saying.

So badass.

In my head.

I agree, and Jon sure as shit wouldn't be riding that dragon when there's another one right there that's named after his father!

• Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    Since some had brought up why they had all had normal weapons and so few dragonglass and vs zomdragon, dragonglass doesn't do jack vs wrights.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Since some had brought up why they had all had normal weapons and so few dragonglass and vs zomdragon, dragonglass doesn't do jack vs wrights.

I think that's more a book thing than a TV thing, since the dragonglass daggers seemed very effective against the wights.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

*looks at username*

i honestly can't tell if that typo was intentional or not

But the wights that were struck with dragon glass seemed to die pretty much instantly in the stand on the rock

• Options
    Melkster wrote: »
    StarZapper wrote: »

What are they waiting for I wonder?

Why does everyone assume they're waiting for something or intend to cross the wall at all?

Maybe they built it to keep us out, and they just came out on the porch to shoo the rabble from their lawn.

Oh, and you better believe they're keeping the dragon those little ruffians threw over it. Nearly set the garden on fire; scared the poor Night's Queen half to death.

You know, used to be the children 'round here weren't so bad. It wasn't till those 'First Men' started coming around, flashing their bronze, stirring up trouble...

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    The, "on the sets" always make me laugh. This is how they shot the Bear Scene

https://i.redd.it/ll3bz0a385hz.gif

Gonna link it so that I don't break the GIF rules.

For the mobile people. Thoros holds a sword that is partially on fire against a green metal lantern as a guy in his green spandex suit wiggles it in front of him.

Waffles or whatever on
  • Options
    I've wondered about the coming conflict between Daenerys and her dragons vs the White Walkers for years.

Specifically it all seemed pretty lop-sided to me. There's no way mere mortals can stand up to undead opponents that fear no wound and never stop until completely destroyed. You just can't win a fight like that.

But then Dany's dragons felt like an overpowered solution to the undead problem. How are the undead even a threat if you've got flying flamethrowers that can just incinerate huge swathes of them at time?

It seems like the show has kinda amped up and dumbed down the threat for convenience. Wights now die just as easily as mere men if you stab them with dragonglass, and dragons can't get near White Walkers 'cause they've got magic anti-dragon missiles.

This discussion has been closed.