As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We're gonna need a bigger state

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Y'all remember the REDBLACKS playing at Toronto when they went bound for street?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm so sorry for derailing this thread about one of the most terrifying weather events I've seen in recent history.

I was wrong before, now I'm not ready for football anymore

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    SC declared a state of emergency today. They were saying it could be as bad as or worse than Hugo, which is incidentally the first hurricane I remember.

I have family in Charleston (and more probably traveling there because my uncle just died), so I'm a bit anxious right now.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I'm afraid of the prospect of this reaching Virginia, as I have no idea where to go in this situation, if my place of residence becomes unsafe. I mean, logically, I probably don't have much to worry, as I'm kind of up in mountainous areas. But if it does reach here and get dangerous, I don't know where to go.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Which is the state that will eventually fall into the Underzee due to all the fracking quakes?

hopefully Oklahoma
    Hell yes take me to the Below Spaces to get me out of this hellscape

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    If it hit us this far inland and this far north (I'm in VA, too) it will have petered out to just a really bad storm. If you're on the coast, maybe a different story, but the closest projected scenario I've seen to that has the tail end reaching upstate SC/western NC. (Which is also where I have family. :/)

Long story short, if inland VA gets hit by a legit hurricane, we're all living in a disaster movie anyway.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the perspective. Really.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Know a person in Florida who's just visiting at a... bad time.

He says he'd love to leave but hasn't any gas, can't get any gas, and all the plane tickets are sold out.

RT800 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Know a person in Florida who's just visiting at a... bad time.

He says he'd love to leave but hasn't any gas, can't get any gas, and all the plane tickets are sold out.

gas should be coming in again tomorrow along with massive water shipments

the interstates are all a nightmare though

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    If it approached from a different angle like Sandy hit NY it could be a problem

this one is going to either be over land, or bleeding off strength on Florida and the Carolinas before it gets up here

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Welp, I've got a bunch of non-perishable food that's awful for me because it's all the store had left after I got off work, and two packs of water

So basically same plan as Matthew last year: staying home and playing games until the power goes out, once the wind gets really bad, grab the cat and hunker down in the bathroom with some food, water and portable games

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I was going to say something about current projections, but honestly we won't be able to say much of anything even remotely concrete until Thursday night. Which is maddening enough on its own

• Options
    I was supposed to fly out this Sunday morning too to visit some friends in Boston and go to Fenway Park for a baseball game

I haven't flown anywhere and had a proper vacation in years, as soon as I heard about when Irma was hitting I was just like "motherfucker"

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Feel kinda guilty being tied up with work in coastless KY.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Well, at least there is a brightside

Mar a Lago is projected to be entirely underwater

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

people that live there fucking hate trump

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I'm afraid of the prospect of this reaching Virginia, as I have no idea where to go in this situation, if my place of residence becomes unsafe. I mean, logically, I probably don't have much to worry, as I'm kind of up in mountainous areas. But if it does reach here and get dangerous, I don't know where to go.

Where in VA?

I'm just off the potomac up in Brunswick

• Options

Where in VA?

Over in Blacksburg, near Virginia Tech.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As of tonight my uncle is still being a stubborn ass about evacuating his home in Florida. I love the guy but damn it get your shit together and go. My dad and stepmom are in Virginia and can definitely take him in.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

my parents' condo is apparently within eyesight of the island thing it's on :/

Psykoma on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Top 3 things I saw the most of last night at work, heading to South Florida.

1- Generators
    2- Portable/Rolling A/C Units
    3- Pressure Washers

I get the first two, but the last seems kind of redundant considering the upcoming weekend.

sig.gif
  • Options

Where in VA?

Over in Blacksburg, near Virginia Tech.

Gotcha

Yes, you'll be 100% fine there

Nice area too. Used to spend a lot of time at Radford!

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Hampton Roads here. Probably gonna stock up on some bottled water and stuff this weekend just in case.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I'm just imagining the PM's office.

'Well, that wasn't as bad as we feared, have we received any damage reports from Barbuda?'

"No sir, in fact we haven't received any reports at all."

'Well, that should mean they didn't suffer any damage or fatalities, time to go to the press!'

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Christ

That's awful

Solar on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Are there plans to build hurricane resistant buildings in those areas? I can only imagine with global warming these super hurricanes are going to start becoming the norm.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Are there plans to build hurricane resistant buildings in those areas? I can only imagine with global warming these super hurricanes are going to start becoming the norm.

With what money
    Barbuda and Antigua together don't crack the top 100 global gdps

• Options
    also, they're tiny islands. any hurricane that comes along will do massive damage because there's very little to buffer buildings from the wind.

• Options

With what money

I would hope(!) that some first world nations would help with that. Red cross and all that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    I have lived in Georgia less than a month after the better part of three decades on the west coast.

I'm hoping it misses us and that everyone in Florida stays safe. We'll see though.

• Options

With what money

I would hope(!) that some first world nations would help with that. Red cross and all that.

keep them as far away as possible (look at Haiti)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

With what money

Red Cross is pretty useless for that sort of thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

With what money

Red Cross is pretty useless for that sort of thing.

Ah I didn't know that. Well then.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

people that live there fucking hate trump

Who are the people who pay the annual $100k club fees? Rich out-of-towners? Rich snowbirds? Because there are way too many of them.

Also speaking of destroyed Trump resorts, he owned one on the island of St. Martin: Le Chateau des Palmiers. It was on the beach, and it's French territory, so harder to make American taxpayers pony up to pay for it.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

1- Generators
    3- Pressure Washers

I get the first two, but the last seems kind of redundant considering the upcoming weekend.

When the flooding abates (which will be quicker than in other places, because at least Florida has very comprehensive drainage infrastructure), there will be a thick layer of mud and grit bad enough that it may obscure the surface of roads entirely. One of the things they'll use the pressure washers for is to mark off where the curbs are, where the lanes are, where the alligator-filled ditches full of solid enough looking dirt-colored water are, etc.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Sorce wrote: »

1- Generators
    3- Pressure Washers

When the flooding abates (which will be quicker than in other places, because at least Florida has very comprehensive drainage infrastructure), there will be a thick layer of mud and grit bad enough that it may obscure the surface of roads entirely. One of the things they'll use the pressure washers for is to mark off where the curbs are, where the lanes are, where the alligator-filled ditches full of solid enough looking dirt-colored water are, etc.
    Yeah, after I thought about it for a second I knew what they were for, but my gut reaction was "they're already about to get power washed though".

edit: Crosspostin'

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    God yes please take that fucking thing

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    nothing will topple the i4 eyesore

even after the human race has long been wiped from this planet it will still remain

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    klVQRT3.jpg

If you live in Georgia, start making plans.