Options

[XCOM] XCOM 2.5 is XCOPS

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    I am new to XCOM 2, playing first run now and just cheesed my first mission. Stray fire and an enemy sectopod blew up the building the evac area was on. So Bradford took pity on me and put new evac point right in the middle of my entire team! 80% like 4 of 14 enemies killed no wounded and random VIP saved. Maybe took 4 turns?

Sometimes Central gives you a gift. Don't ask questions; just take it. My Reaper claymored an evac zone roof with enemies on it and Firebrand picked us up down by the river where we were settled in to murder the assassin.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I thought it would be fun to go back and try an EW Classic Ironman attempt because I never did it before, and Operation Portent is FUCKING BULLSHIT that killed everyone and made me have to restart. Now I'm just going to turn off Operation Progeny because I'm pretty sure that's literally impossible without all of the RNG going your way. There is physically not enough time to get the upgrades to survive 15 Thin Men critting you through full cover from high ground.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    I thought it would be fun to go back and try an EW Classic Ironman attempt because I never did it before, and Operation Portent is FUCKING BULLSHIT that killed everyone and made me have to restart. Now I'm just going to turn off Operation Progeny because I'm pretty sure that's literally impossible without all of the RNG going your way. There is physically not enough time to get the upgrades to survive 15 Thin Men critting you through full cover from high ground.

What are you talking abou-

*convulsions on the floor as memories flood back*

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So of all the Hero classes I think the Skirmisher is the weakest(still good but not as dumb as the other two).

Looking at its skill set something tells me the class was pretty OP during testing and got scaled back a lot. Since a lot of its abilities are just on the verge of being really good.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    People have been saying you need to pump skirmisher aim and mobility. He gets a lot of actions, so he needs to get guaranteed damage.

Next game ill try it and see what's up.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    People have been saying you need to pump skirmisher aim and mobility. He gets a lot of actions, so he needs to get guaranteed damage.

My Scope/Tracer ammo Skirmisher with Superior Speed PCS is a BEAST. She is clutch for finishing off leftovers that the other squadmates haven't QUITE been able to cross off, but she also works to Volatile Mix bomb dudes on the top of buildings by grappling into range.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It would have been nice if the Skirmisher got some Advent abilities. Instead of the blades, they could have the stun lance. They can have the energy shield ability but only for one soldier. Maybe give them a weaker version of the Holy Warrior ability.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I heard that Ionic Ripjack has some absurd stunrate.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It does seem to stun quite a bit. Wish you could just use it without the grapple part, though.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I just managed to cross an entire map on an ambush with one turn.

Gunslinger SS trained Implacable and just kept scooting after shooting Lost in the face after blowing up a car.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    It does seem to stun quite a bit. Wish you could just use it without the grapple part, though.
    There's an ability that lets you use it like Slash although it has a long cooldown

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There's an ability that lets you use it like Slash although it has a long cooldown

Yeah, I know, it's just dumb that you have to wait for your claw to cool off. It's not gonna break the game if you can punch a guy in the face now and then.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    so im just starting up my run on xbox, any last minute advice?

Also the option to include or not include (or not include the mission but include the content?) the old dlc always confuses me

• Options
    DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular

What are you talking abou-

*convulsions on the floor as memories flood back*

I still have the artifact of pain on my Youtube channel.

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Who-Psyd wrote: »
    Huh so if you have a Faction Soldier captured, old style left behind on a Extraction not Chosen Captured, you can get another one from Covert Ops same as if they had died. Than later you can get a Council mission to extract a solder which is the Captured Faction Soldier.

There is no reason you shouldn't be able to have more than one of each faction hero.

Though to this date I've only ever seen the option to get a second hero from my starting faction.

Well yes that was my point, by default the game only ever offers a second of your starting Faction, in this example I have currently 2 Reapers and 2 Templar.

That's how its coded, yes. Naturally there's a mod that removes this restriction and lets you have 2 (or however many you like if you just edit the ini) of every faction.
    PLA wrote: »

Yep, to the point that the Plasma/Fusion/Whatever Ripjack is a straight-up downgrade. More damage, sure, but setting something on fire isn't nearly as good as stunning it.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Killing things is better than stunning things though.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Killing things is better than stunning things though.

Yes, but there are many things you can't kill with half of a unit's turn, while the Ripjack reliably stuns with one action.

• Options
    Ok something is hilarious broken in the way it shows characters icons during promotions, I'll post a screenshot of what I'm talking about in a sec

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Yes but everything is "OP" when you pump aim and mobility into it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Pulling a dude you need to kill out of high cover and into the middle of your team is super useful. Like, it is also one of the Templars best abilities and a Skirmisher can just do it from level one.

And then if you need to kill a pod on the other side of the map, a Skirmisher with a bond and a good grapple spot can do that.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Man the load times are still awful on console. Maybe it'll get a Scorpio update

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Pulling a dude you need to kill out of high cover and into the middle of your team is super useful. Like, it is also one of the Templars best abilities and a Skirmisher can just do it from level one.

And then if you need to kill a pod on the other side of the map, a Skirmisher with a bond and a good grapple spot can do that.

Yeah the only caveat is that the ability can miss, no? I think Skirmishers and the associated scanning ability might have some good early game benefits, but scale worse compared to the other faction units/std units with the right training abilities.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Yay finished my ironman run at this.
    Casualties were very high in the mid-game. But recovered well.

Final blow to the enemy was via a resistance order that deals feedback damage to the opponents attacking with psionics.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Yay finished my ironman run at this.
    Casualties were very high in the mid-game. But recovered well.

Final blow to the enemy was via a resistance order that deals feedback damage to the opponents attacking with psionics.

That order was hillarious. Codexes would nuke themselves to death if I kept my team clustered together. One Psionic Storm and they would just disappear. And then my team could move, use their free reloads, and deal with any actual threats.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I forgot Mutons can't be meleed. RIP Templar

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

I wasn't aware it was a chance thing. I thought it just always stunned.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod where melee weapons have their own mods that add effects.
    So you could put a stun mod on a Fusion Blade, for example.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Do Covert Missions re-roll every month or something, or do you have to clear the ones that are there to get new ones to show up?
    I need to build my influence with the Templars, but none of the missions they're offering are that enticing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You get a new set of missions each month. You can't do the missions that build rep with a faction until you find their paired Chosen though, depending on the map that might take a bit.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Unfortunately it's effected by defense so it's kind of weak against units in high cover. Also it has a 5 turn CD instead of none (iirc)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Unfortunately it's effected by defense so it's kind of weak against units in high cover. Also it has a 5 turn CD instead of none (iirc)

The base accuracy seems much higher than shooting though.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Skirmisher accuracy in general for all their melee attacks seem ridiclously high. They're scary effective at zipping around the battlefield and punching out targets - add in potential beenies like Saturation fire & Volatile mix, and both my Skirmishers are serious workhorses

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    the grapple abilities are super easy to hit because they have 20 aim bonus and it's trivial to get your skirmisher on high ground

skirmisher is also pretty disgusting if you get superior ammo or reload and then pair it with superior hair trigger or repeaters.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

the grapple abilities are super easy to hit because they have 20 aim bonus and it's trivial to get your skirmisher on high ground

skirmisher is also pretty disgusting if you get superior ammo or reload and then pair it with superior hair trigger or repeaters.

Also no range drop-off, which is terrible for their weapons.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Wow, I totally read that Templar switch positions with an enemy ability wrong. I never even bought it. That would have been so crazy good so many times.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. Invert is really good.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Skirmisher's Justice makes it real easy to set up a perfect skulljacking.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Action economy on Templars is a great tactic, I think. If you give them enough mobility, they never need their blue move to Rend a target, freeing that up for doing stuff like Invert or Teamwork. Along with trying to figure out how to Reaper chain Arc-waved Rends together, and Teamworking them back to continue Reaper chains, trying to figure out how to best use a Templar during a turn can be a fun little puzzle in and of itself.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Action economy on Templars is a great tactic, I think. If you give them enough mobility, they never need their blue move to Rend a target, freeing that up for doing stuff like Invert or Teamwork. Along with trying to figure out how to Reaper chain Arc-waved Rends together, and Teamworking them back to continue Reaper chains, trying to figure out how to best use a Templar during a turn can be a fun little puzzle in and of itself.

I love being in that point of the game where it goes from you trying to simply defeat the enemy with as little risk to your team as possible, to where you're trying to cause the greatest amount of carnage with a single soldier.

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I would have loved to gotten a Templar with the Reaper ability. That must be nuts.

This discussion has been closed.