As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Porg Pals [Star Wars] Thread

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Yo those guys were at least a full day's distance walk between Jehda city and the hideout if not longer. Maybe another day hyperspace to the research base and another day spent debriefing/ prepping for unoffical assault/real assault

Plus however many days between the end of Rouge One and when Vader gets back to his ship and catching up to Leia.

Also forget you guys I love that cameo.

I am biased since my dad wrote those guys' EU backstory.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Yeah, I though that cameo was mostly harmless.

The droid's cameo was awful though.

jgeis on
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    The Dewune universe.

THE WORDS HAVE BEEN SPOKEN!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6jgkcANRE

Darth Waiter on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    jgeis wrote: »

Like if the droids needed to be in it just have them roll past Captain Antilles at the very end as he takes the plans to Leia.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Shorty wrote: »
    he wrote exactly one of the stories and it was by far the silliest

wait, he wrote the IG-88 story, which was one of the best.

(Full disclosure I read the book at a wedding when I was 12 years old.)

edit: Whats silly about IG-88 murdering an entire complex full of his creators then copying his conciousness into a few duplicate bodies? I mean, silly in the context of the Star Wars universe of course.

edit: okok so assimilating himself into the DS2 was silly... but also freakin awesome, and led to one of the all time funniest Star Wars moments. The rest of the story is just stuff from ESB and SoTE.

He spends about four pages blowing a literary load about how quickly IG-88 can think and process and how it will conquer the universe with its droid revolution and then has three copies get blown up by Boba Fett hardly trying.

The story ends with the hilarious Deathstar 2 upload where IG-88A gets into an elevator fight with Palpatine.

I don't really want to be guilty of defending KJA's work, nor that story in particular, but in all fairness I believe that was intended to be a case of unreliable narrator. IIRC, the story is told from IG-88's point(s) of view (more accurately, it's a third person limited perspective colored by IG-88's perception of things). Of course it thinks it's the best thing in the galaxy, and part of the fun of the story is seeing its assumptions of excellence being repeatedly undermined. I mean, the whole thing could pretty easily be read as a kind of shaggy dog story poking fun at the notion of a droid uprising in the Star Wars universe.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Basically, Star Wars is p silly

And, to be honest, I'll be sad when we can't have ANY more silly cameos of the real R2 and C-3PO

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Like if the droids needed to be in it just have them roll past Captain Antilles at the very end as he takes the plans to Leia.

I mean sure but I dont see how the droid cameo comes off worse. The droids atleast were supposed to be where they were.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I mean sure but I dont see how the droid cameo comes off worse. The droids atleast were supposed to be where they were.
    Except Threepio's dialogue is like "we aren't going there, pah" but they ARE on the ship at the start of ANH. So it feels like a contradiction.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I need to recheck the timing on when the droids appear in R1.
    If it's right after Jyn's crew leaves for Scarif then how did they know they were going to Scarif? Did they just overhear them saying they'd go? If Threepio could hear them, why didn't anyone else, and why didn't they notify the command staff that there was a rogue group of soldiers heading for a major Imperial installation?

If it's when word comes back and the Rebels send aid to Scarif then the timing is even weirder, because the comms officer that reports to Mon Mothma states that Admiral Raddus is already on his way with the fleet. There's not really time for them to get up to the Tantive IV in that scenario.

Pretty sure they appeared in the first scenario but I honestly can't remember the timing.

jgeis on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The droids cameo in TFA was worse than the one in Rogue One imo.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Threepio's cameo in TFA was hilarious

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    DO YOU SEE ME NOW, FATHER?!

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I didn't even really like the real Dune books after God Emperor, no way was I going to pick up some trashy official fan fiction

• Options
    I need to recheck the timing on when the droids appear in R1.
    If it's right after Jyn's crew leaves for Scarif then how did they know they were going to Scarif? Did they just overhear them saying they'd go? If Threepio could hear them, why didn't anyone else, and why didn't they notify the command staff that there was a rogue group of soldiers heading for a major Imperial installation?

If it's when word comes back and the Rebels send aid to Scarif then the timing is even weirder, because the comms officer that reports to Mon Mothma states that Admiral Raddus is already on his way with the fleet. There's not really time for them to get up to the Tantive IV in that scenario.

Pretty sure they appeared in the first scenario but I honestly can't remember the timing.

It is the second one when the fleet leaves.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the one thing in Rogue One that bugs me
    The team departs on their mission.
    Right after that, Bail and Mon Mothma talk about bringing Obi-Wan in. And we hear him start talking to Captain Antilles.
    Then Rogue One's assault starts.
    Then the fleet leaves. But Raddus already left? And the droids are on the ground. Either way, everyone gets there at the same time, apparently.

So the Tantive was either always with Raddus, which, how'd the droids get on board? Or the Tantive docked with Raddus during the battle, which might make some sense, as a last minute change of plans to get the DS plans off the dead-in-space ship. But then why risk your Jedi recruitment by sending the Tantive to Scarif?

I think, either way, it's fixed by moving the droid cameo to before Rogue One leaves. It would be too jarring to stick them into the climax; it would destroy any emotion the movie's going for.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Right after that, Bail and Mon Mothma talk about bringing Obi-Wan in. And we hear him start talking to Captain Antilles.
    Then the fleet leaves. But Raddus already left? And the droids are on the ground. Either way, everyone gets there at the same time, apparently.

So the Tantive was either always with Raddus, which, how'd the droids get on board? Or the Tantive docked with Raddus during the battle, which might make some sense, as a last minute change of plans to get the DS plans off the dead-in-space ship. But then why risk your Jedi recruitment by sending the Tantive to Scarif?

I think, either way, it's fixed by moving the droid cameo to before Rogue One leaves. It would be too jarring to stick them into the climax; it would destroy any emotion the movie's going for.

Why does the blade of a lightsaber stop? Shouldn't it go on forever?

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Lightsabers are super hot plasma in a magnetic bottle and so are blaster bolts and I don't care what you tell me about kyber crystals

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options

Option
    Perhaps the Tantive IV took damage early on and docked to get it checked then Raddus quickly realized they were screwed when Vader showed up and decided to toss them to Leia and let her get the hell out of there since she was ready to go.

Then when Leia has the plans and knows Vader is right on her tail she decides to try and go get this legendary Jedi and General to help since she was going to get him anyway and heads to Tatooine.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    what?

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    what?

are you whatting how a lightsaber works?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    what?

No I was whatting the leap from the screwy droid timelime to the lightaber but my post was to slow.

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    what?

No I was whatting the leap from the screwy droid timelime to the lightaber but my post was to slow.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Chris' point was "Who caaaaaaaaaaaaaares?"

But my point was that lightsabers don't go on forever because they're super heated plasma contained in a magnetic bottle, which explains why they can reflect blaster fire and each other, as well as why they have an end point.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I'm not even slightly surprised that Mallory decided to write about that guy

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    see317 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ugh, I have to buy this now. Mallory Ortberg is fierce

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    An Imperial Officer trying to file an HR report on Vader?

Jesus God, I want it.

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »

the funny part was when the first thing Artoo did after waking up was tell Threepio to get fucked

• Options
    Admiral Motti was being a jerk about someone's faith though. I could see HR maybe siding with Vader in that dispute if Vader immediately filed a grievance instead of resorting to violence. As is, HR takes a hard stance on attempted murder of ranks higher than line officers.

Unless HR is also a possible recipient of force strangulation. In that case they totally side with Lord Vader.

• Options
    I am 1000% certain that Imperial HR has established protocol for dealing with Darth Vader

sort of like how this very board used to have special rules for one of the moderators' behavior in Help & Advice

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, last time I called out a colleague on their sad adherence to ancient superstition, it led to some meetings.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

the funny part was when the first thing Artoo did after waking up was tell Threepio to get fucked

R2: "Ugh, this is it, I'll have to go into low power mode, I hope they find me. At least I'll never have too seee that daaamn prootoocoool droooi....."
    3PO: "Oh R2! You're alive!"
    R2: "Mother fucker!"

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    It takes real sand to deny the veracity of someone's religion when their religion gives them palpable magic powers

Unless that dude is like some sort of Force denier and thinks Vader has I dunno tractor beam gloves or something

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    It takes real sand to deny the veracity of someone's religion when their religion gives them palpable magic powers
    Unless that dude is like some sort of Force denier and thinks Vader has I dunno tractor beam gloves or something

To be fair, he just pointed out that Vader's adherence to The Force hadn't helped him track down the missing plans or find the Rebel base.
    He wasn't questioning the existence of The Force, just pointing out that it hadn't helped them.

And he wasn't really that incorrect. They only found the droids with the plans by tracking the escape pod's descent to Tattooine, and then murdering jawas to figure out who the droids had been sold too (and then murdering them too).
    They only found the Rebel base by bugging the Falcon and tracking it back to Yavin.

Sure, he could have phrased it in a more diplomatic way than "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the rebels' hidden fort(ress)." But then, Vader had just shut him down hard while he was talking up the Death Stars capabilities, calling them insignificant next to the power of The Force.

• Options
    I am 1000% certain that Imperial HR has established protocol for dealing with Darth Vader

sort of like how this very board used to have special rules for one of the moderators' behavior in Help & Advice

I can't even remember what this was but it sounds like something that happened for sure.

• Options
    as I understand it, the policy was "when this mod posts here, just go and edit their undoubtedly-mean post to something actually helpful"

• Options
    I'm going to choose not to confirm or deny that one.

• Options
    Are you ready for some football Star Wars?

In a since-deleted tweet about a new TLJ trailer, Mark Hamill said, "Watch Monday Night Football on Monday October 9th- for no reason in particular."

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

In a since-deleted tweet about a new TLJ trailer, Mark Hamill said, "Watch Monday Night Football on Monday October 9th- for no reason in particular."

He later clarified that it was a Vikings vs. Bears joke and that no one get's him.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options

He later clarified that it was a Vikings vs. Bears joke and that no one get's him.

"Bears joke" is being redundant.

This discussion has been closed.