Options

I'll be your 1-Up Girl! [Super Mario Odyssey]

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    New Donk is kind of creepy when you assume the New Donkians are reflections of their kingdom much like koopa/goombas, and likely evolved from Kongs

Their suits and hats are actually their skin and their Simglish babbling passes for human speech

Pauline is the ageless broodmother

Oh Christ I totally didn't consider that the city's residents would likely be called New Donkians

This just makes it an extra level of unsettling.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    It explicitly states they are New Donkians in the map brochure

• Options

I don't play video games to read

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    You ought to though. I'm surprised at how detailed the maps are in giving context to these areas. It's like a full travel guide.

In terms of question-raising divergences in style, the idea that there is a whole kingdom that has been totalled by a dragon and lies abandoned and ruined is more at odds with Mario as a series than New Donk could ever be.

If I hadn't spoiled myself on that, it would have been more jarring.

edzepp on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    But the Kongs are still here.

Performing for you.

• Options
    edzepp wrote: »
    You ought to though. I'm surprised at how detailed the maps are in giving context to these areas. It's like a full travel guide.

In terms of question-raising divergences in style, the idea that there is a whole kingdom that has been totalled by a dragon and lies abandoned and ruined is more at odds with Mario as a series than New Donk could ever be.

You no am joke get sir

• Options
    edited November 2017
    No, I joke get sir

I just wanted to gush a little, because it's a level of detail I wasn't expecting.

edzepp on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Hmmm... In Sand Kingdom, there's a moon in need to get down in the Hole in the Desert. Anytime I try to go back in there, it takes me to the boss arena with no way back to the earlier parts. There's a bullet bill cannon, but it's too far away. They explode before I can hat one of em. Is there another way back in there, or am I boned?

Gonna be so pissed if I'm boned...

Edit: OMG, nevermind... I'm pretty stupid

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Hmmm... In Sand Kingdom, there's a moon in need to get down in the Hole in the Desert. Anytime I try to go back in there, it takes me to the boss arena with no way back to the earlier parts. There's a bullet bill cannon, but it's too far away. They explode before I can hat one of em. Is there another way back in there, or am I boned?

Gonna be so pissed if I'm boned...

Edit: OMG, nevermind... I'm pretty stupid

i did this exact same thing.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm in the post game now. finqlly tracked down my last 3 sand kingdom purples. They were in an incredibly obvious place too.

Really enjoyed the last main story Kingdom, the penultimate one not so much.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The launch was cool.https://youtu.be/69ZmfKeqh0o

• Options
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Aww man, I wanna meet Mario!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I like seeing Giant Bomb show up in accolades trailers for big games

• Options
    Moon 76 in Sand Kingdom was pretty frustrating to try and get... Even the prima guide doesn't fully help you out.

Pro tip: You can get some extra mileage out of a Bullet Bill by holding down the Y button AND shaking the joycon for a boost.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Is that the one on the pillar way the hell over near the eastern edge of the map?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Mario's had a rough day

DNlF-_3UMAArrcl.jpg

*clears throat*

23000390_10107366618828662_3572631648909486340_o.jpg?oh=e0ad4aa3bbb9deb11b6b39dc2c53391e&oe=5A789A1C

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Is that the one on the pillar way the hell over near the eastern edge of the map?

That's the one.

Solution, if it's giving you trouble:
    Warp to the sand pillar waypoint by the ruins, and take a bullet bill. Fly to the right most tilted pillar (where a previous moon was) and hop out of the bill. Make sure another bill is coming at you and dive jump to the adjacent pillar. Take control of that bill and then hold down Y while shaking the joycon as you beeline it for the moon.

The Bill will probably start beeping, but you should make it before it explodes.

• Options
    Oh, THAT'S how you do that? What am I using this stupid gliding lizard for then.

• Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Finally got 500 Power Moons.
    Argh, the Darker Side of the Moon is so hard. I’m tempted to use my Peach amiibo to help me through some sections.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    skeldare wrote: »

Mario is a jerk in person, sad to say. He couldn't even stop dabbing for 2 minutes to take a picture, and when he did he just stared off in some random direction with his drunk ass. I asked him for an autograph and he just stared at his hands, looked back up at me, and then walked off. I came back up to him later thinking maybe he didn't hear me and he threw his hat at me, stopped and stood there as if he were waiting for something to happen, and then ran off. Never meet your heroes, kids.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular
    New Donk solution: it's the other way around. The city was already named that way before the great Ape Attack. Kongs name got attached to the city he attacked.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular

I don't.. why wouldn't they be called New Donkers? New Donkians is such a weird choice.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

I don't.. why wouldn't they be called New Donkers? New Donkians is such a weird choice.

It's Arlenite!

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    n3okWoo.jpg

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Are we doing screenshots?

This is one of my favorites. I wonder if people can figure out where I took it. :)

77rYevl.png

Really liked this view.

lcNP577.png

Also I took a close up of one of the penguins from the ice world and cut him out:

CRruUDB.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Those magic flying penguins... It's like they knew the nefarious plan I had in mind for them as I approached.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Just discovered something neat. On the odyssey, bounce on the globe. It'll start it spinning, and while it spins it'll play a music box version of jump up superstar!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    GMaster7 wrote: »

They are called New Donkers. I don't know why everybody here is saying "New Donkians".

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    i feel trying to come to grips with the lore timeline of the Mario universe is akin to drilling your head

Nintendo is amazing at simultaneously honoring and ignoring its history-- this is literally the third time (at least) we've been to this city, and it's had a different name each time.
    skeldare wrote: »

Mario is a jerk in person, sad to say. He couldn't even stop dabbing for 2 minutes to take a picture, and when he did he just stared off in some random direction with his drunk ass. I asked him for an autograph and he just stared at his hands, looked back up at me, and then walked off. I came back up to him later thinking maybe he didn't hear me and he threw his hat at me, stopped and stood there as if he were waiting for something to happen, and then ran off. Never meet your heroes, kids.

Mario is alright; it's Sonic you have to watch out for:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dt69vB7CoDM

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Wooded kingdom post game moon,
    In the starting area up on the boundary walls near the moon rock block you activate there is a musical note moon. You have to grab all the notes on a long path along the boundary wall but I can't go fast enough. Do you have to roll the whole way?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »

is there a reason you decided to spoil it for the rest of us?

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Wooded kingdom post game moon,
    In the starting area up on the boundary walls near the moon rock block you activate there is a musical note moon. You have to grab all the notes on a long path along the boundary wall but I can't go fast enough. Do you have to roll the whole way?

I rolled for a lot of that one. It's generous enough that you can make a mistake or two and come out of the roll a couple times if you need to.

I gave up on Sand Kingdom on the last two moons and looked up their solution.
    One was the taxi cab moon which the game refuses to give you a hint for.

The other was that goddamn eastern pillar. I had no idea you could shake the controller for extra movement on the bullet bills until I looked it up. I guess the game tells you, but I'm not used to using motion controls for anything in this game, so having that be the solution was not what I was expecting.

Edit: I also feel like the game needs a hint system for the purple coins that doesn't involve buying an amiibo.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Are we doing screenshots?

This is one of my favorites. I wonder if people can figure out where I took it. :)
    77rYevl.png

Really liked this view.

lcNP577.png

Also I took a close up of one of the penguins from the ice world and cut him out:

CRruUDB.png

Screenshots!
    23000198_10107362268441872_239155577503170643_o.jpg?oh=74561af8959457219d0346dc637c277f&oe=5AA1E484

22999970_10107361090307862_6572601393318418488_o.jpg?oh=bae89465ffdb0a0f75d7f4eefe9cf5d1&oe=5AA53C6D

22861767_10107361089808862_1300256193666438850_o.jpg?oh=d84d4a266ea069498adedc921be54123&oe=5A76ED74

22829457_10107345802928892_4333139354672322491_o.jpg?oh=79c13156a93954a4f230da8bf298ebcc&oe=5AAF627D

22791810_10107345801386982_2420210528384909252_o.jpg?oh=081374db0cdcba1ac712fe73161294f9&oe=5A66D7D1

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I just noticed about Pauline....
    One of her dance moves resembles her animation in the original Donkey Kong.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I just noticed about Pauline....
    One of her dance moves resembles her animation in the original Donkey Kong.

Of course GameXplain had a short discussion about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3BY_gLmFow

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    There are moons in hat kingdom I assume you need a paragoomba for but how do you get one that ascends?

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    I beat Bowser and I am now in the post game.
    There is something up with those moon blocks. I wonder if it will be explained.

Who made them?

Krathoon on