Options

Baby hiccups [chat]

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Eh. Not everything is for everyone. I have a buddy who think Archer is absolutely awful, and that show slays me.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Archer is also a dickhead

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Rick and Morty is never going to be canceled, but when they do get tired of making it I'm expecting it to end with some meta joke about Rick attempting to prevent the show from ever existing or something.

Coinage on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Archer is also a dickhead

Yeah but the show makes that one really clear.

No one on Archer is a very admirable person.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    @Pony
    There is an episode where Rick gets black out drunk and does a bunch of horrible stuff. Then he sees a video of himself and starts saying to people something along the lines of "Oh shit that's drunk Rick be careful I don't know what he's up to." . The important thing to me was that he said he as if it was clearly an other. As an addict and alcoholic I really felt like that showed how we think. Blackout drunk DUE and the person typing to you right now are two different people and I generally tend to have no idea what the wasted version of me does but he is surprisingly capable. I am not proud of that but when someone says "we talked for an hour last night" and I have no memory of it that has become so routine that I just shrug it off and take another drink. I don't think Rick is presented as a protagonist at all but I see him as a troubled and terribly flawed narcissistic individual who has hurt everyone around him in some weird effort to make up for the fact that he can't find happiness. I think that is the message of the show. Not that it's good to be Rick. Unfortunately, it seems like less experienced people just see it as a message to be an asshole. For me when they talk about Rick making a video and soiling himself without remembering i'm thinking "haha i've been there" but also I do recognize that i'm a vile and horrible person.

The thing is though I think Rick is set up to be that. I cannot see any point where Rick is shown to be an intelligent arbiter. He is pragmatic and cruel and his family idolizes him for no reason other than the fact that he wooed them with charisma. Is the show bad because people don't see that or am I reading more into it because of my personal experiences of being a moderately charismatic drunk asshole?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    I put so many red pepper flakes on this pasta

The burn

I regret nothing and embrace the purification of flame

Reminds me of we got bbq'd pork with our take out and it had been years since I had some chinese hot mustard, oh god that's the stuff. That's that nostril burn.

Chinese hot mustard will napalm any germs out of your body

Be cleansed

• Options
    Like Archer is super awful. The character.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Rick and Morty is never going to be canceled.

What's worse, being cancelled or being thrown into Venture Bros type season scheduling?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I too enjoy watching people cry and lose their shit about some fucking sauce

Its meta

You've got people losing their shit about sauce

People losing their shit about people losing their shit about sauce

People losing their shit about people losing their shit about people losing their shit about sauce

I think it becomes too attenuated there

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    like, to paint you guys a picture

this dude at the games workshop store had the following pins and buttons on his laptop bag:

a pickle-rick putton
    a pepe button
    a pin of solaire praising the sun
    an imperium aquila pin
    a bunch of other shit i forget

so when some other dude in the store tried to talk to him about Rick and Morty and he turned into a little dipshit about it like

uh

i dunno there's a lot going on there beyond "he was a shitty R&M fan"

y'know?

there's a whole tapestry

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    SniperGuy wrote: »

What's worse, being cancelled or being thrown into Venture Bros type season scheduling?

I'm totally cool with VB's yearslong development process tho and honestly I think R&M really needs all the time between seasons they can get, because their humor is kind of similar to VB in that it's very densely packed, and right now their schedule makes the episodes extremely hit-or-miss

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Pam is the best

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    I should have known there was nothing worth reading in any of those notifications

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Pony wrote: »
    like, to paint you guys a picture

this dude at the games workshop store had the following pins and buttons on his laptop bag:

a pickle-rick putton
    a pepe button
    a pin of solaire praising the sun
    an imperium aquila pin
    a bunch of other shit i forget

so when some other dude in the store tried to talk to him about Rick and Morty and he turned into a little dipshit about it like

uh

i dunno there's a lot going on there beyond "he was a shitty R&M fan"

y'know?

there's a whole tapestry

I bet he played WoW too

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    mDqgPZN.jpg
    That baby knows it is doomed.

that bab is so big tho!

i mean like the tiny ones!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Too many e-mails.

Fail to clean my e-mails this weekend, now I have 150+, so it's not worth the time to clean them up.

Tomorrow it will probably be something like 300+.

Too many e-mails, and probably only 1 or 2 are important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There's always a delay with hot mustard. Like you know you ate it, know that it's going to take a nostril with it, but you have a good 3 to 5 seconds before it hits you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    I adulted hard and think I aced that job interview, to celebrate with a pumpkin spice latte!

It's November now, is that legal?

PUMPKIN SPICE IS LIFE! DO NOT DENY ME WHAT I NEEEEEEEED!

• Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    a-4-355x270.jpg

so i'm eating these little turds because i'm a filthy sack of indulgence that couldn't resist the 5 dollar price tag for 160 pieces of Halloween candy.

the fact that i'm enjoying "malted milk balls" makes me feel like a racist old grandpa.

Hey, you take that back, Whoppers are fucking amazing.

you know who else would agree to this?

a racist old grandpa that misses the good old times when coloured people weren't allowed in

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Pony you're pretty invested in this

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    i dont even have a 1080 tv yet.
    Just throw away the CRT man

But that zero latency...

wazerpv3h080.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Heh, garbage company left the market and sold my contract to another garbage company. Fine, fine, whatever.

But then old garbage company tries to bill me for another three months of service they are not providing, and their phone number is disconnected. Ha ha ha <hits stop payment button>.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    That's not CN's fault, the writers are just very chill about actually finishing the scripts.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I do like those malted milk balls

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Latency in monitors only matters if you are at like the top 1% skill level

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

But that zero latency...

wazerpv3h080.jpg

No trinitron

Do u even game bro

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

er not that you need someone to white knight for you but...is it annoying when people shit all over rick and morty fans in this thread when your avatar is from Rick and Morty, and should we be asking people to perhaps tone it down?

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »

But that zero latency...

wazerpv3h080.jpg

Dead-end technology is so interesting to me.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Driving for most of automotive history: non-antilock brakes fail to stop head-on collision because there are no divider walls and the driver is impaled through the chest by the steering column

Passengers bounce around and die inside like a pachinko machine

On the other hand, tail fins

Good with the bad, folks, good with the bad

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Folks bought a scale since we haven't had one in over a decade and I haven't weighed myself in years. So I figure I might as well get an updated figured.

I no longer trust this scale as it is telling me I have apparently lost 20-30+ pounds in the interim, which can't possibly be correct. Though if it is right, then when the hospital arranged my scan a month ago and asked my weight, I may have given them a number that was 30+ pounds inaccurate O_o

normally I get real mad when people post things like this but in your case, I wish you good luck. Pick up a tub of ice cream on the way home.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Basically, I think there's media where they have what essentially amounts to "villain protagonists" that do an incredibly piss-poor jobs of establishing "This person is a bad person" and not "This person is fuckin awesome" and as a result, a toxic element of the audience latches on to literally the worst possible elements of the show and the character.

Breaking Bad, South Park, and Rick & Morty are good examples of this.

Television, by its nature as a medium, is more vulnerable for this than film, since film can tell a more compact story that is vulnerable to the character and their intentions and meaning getting distorted over time.

John Wick is not a good person. This should not need to be made more obvious. The whole premise of the first film is that he got out, and he repeatedly keeps being asked if he's "back" or if he's "working again". He had an entire arc that happened before the movie began where he grew as a human being and got out of a life of violence and death and found some measure of love and happiness... and lost that.

What little he had left was taken from him, so now he's just lashing out in pure revenge, and he falls back into the life and he's back and he turns into this hurricane of violence and death and while that might make for gripping cinematography and action set-pieces, it's also... sad?

If that's not obvious for a person, if they fantasize about being John Wick, then that's their own damage. Are their dudes like that? Sure, absolutely, 100%. But that's their problem, not the film's.

man at what point is eric cartmen ever presented as good?

legitimately asking if I missed something.

From about season 5 onwards in South Park, Cartman is regularly given a come-uppance for the wrong reasons. Like, he's regularly shown to be wrong or the bad guy or the antagonist in a lot of episodes, but for the wrong shit.

He gets away with basically being racist, sexist, murderous, monstrous piece of garbage internally within the show on a regular basis and he'll get called out and proven wrong or given a come-uppance for like, 6/10 things he does and those 6/10 will be the most minor of things and not the main thrust of why what he did was wrong.

A typical South Park plot will be something like "Cartman tries to enact an actual fucking Holocaust against the Jews because Kyle pissed him off, but fails because Clyde rats him out. Cartman tries to get everyone else to hate Clyde under some kind of 'snitches get stitches' mantra, but nobody else buys it and everyone shits on Cartman and the 'stop snitchin' mentality."

And the message of the episode will be.... "stop snitchin is dumb and Cartman is dumb for trying to push that."

Not, you know, that first bit. The other bit. Y'know, the inciting event.

This is a fictitious example because god help me I'm not going through South Park episode summaries to make this point, but it's the kind of episode structure they've been using for over a decade, and it's fucking atrocious.

I find this interesting. I don't think South Park is trying to convey a message when Cartmen murders and feeds someone their dead parents.

I think the message is that Cartmen is a horrific little piece of shit regardless of winning or losing. Like. . .I don't think the fact that he does not experience punishment makes his actions okay but that seems to be what you're saying.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

I'm totally cool with VB's yearslong development process tho and honestly I think R&M really needs all the time between seasons they can get, because their humor is kind of similar to VB in that it's very densely packed, and right now their schedule makes the episodes extremely hit-or-miss

We are drowning in a surfeit of quality (and not so quality) entertainment. I'm sure I can find something to watch between now and R&M S4.

I'd rather have slower production schedules and better writing.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

...have you ever met Matt?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    eat it for both of us :cry:

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I’m sure I have strong opinions on the preponderance of certain types of personalities relating positively to characters that are largely meant to be unlikable. But I’m on the toilet, so, the short version is: you, the artist, gotta be careful with that shit.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

er not that you need someone to white knight for you but...is it annoying when people shit all over rick and morty fans in this thread when your avatar is from Rick and Morty, and should we be asking people to perhaps tone it down?

Well, i wouldn't want people to stop on my behalf, i just want them to stop because the constant whinging is boring and manufactured

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Marble madness died for your sins

that is a game i wanted to be good at so bad.

I feel like if you're good at it you become Zenyatta from overwatch IRL

naw i got enough racism. i don't need robo-racism too.
    real talk i kind of dressed down the other day and someone i walked past like grabbed their ladies arm and pulled them aside and i'm thinking "wait was that because of me?"

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    good morning mortys

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Folks bought a scale since we haven't had one in over a decade and I haven't weighed myself in years. So I figure I might as well get an updated figured.

I no longer trust this scale as it is telling me I have apparently lost 20-30+ pounds in the interim, which can't possibly be correct. Though if it is right, then when the hospital arranged my scan a month ago and asked my weight, I may have given them a number that was 30+ pounds inaccurate O_o

normally I get real mad when people post things like this but in your case, I wish you good luck. Pick up a tub of ice cream on the way home.
    Godspeed, soldier... *plays a solemn tune on his bugle*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I had the Cajun deep fried turkey sandwich from Arby's today. It was decent, but pretty small for the cost.

This discussion has been closed.