Options

Baby hiccups [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Latency in monitors only matters if you are at like the top 1% skill level

Well, yeah.

Most good players are in the top 1%.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    like, to paint you guys a picture

this dude at the games workshop store had the following pins and buttons on his laptop bag:

a pickle-rick putton
    a pepe button
    a pin of solaire praising the sun
    an imperium aquila pin
    a bunch of other shit i forget

so when some other dude in the store tried to talk to him about Rick and Morty and he turned into a little dipshit about it like

uh

i dunno there's a lot going on there beyond "he was a shitty R&M fan"

y'know?

there's a whole tapestry

I don't know what the imperium aquila is but I'm guessing WH40k?

I mean the pepe is the only one there that stands out as being a red flag of a person to avoid. Pickle Rick button is a maybe, that's gotten a little too much associated cringe.

I guess I'm just not seeing how this helps paint a picture other than it being a person into nerdy stuff.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    @Pony
    There is an episode where Rick gets black out drunk and does a bunch of horrible stuff. Then he sees a video of himself and starts saying to people something along the lines of "Oh shit that's drunk Rick be careful I don't know what he's up to." . The important thing to me was that he said he as if it was clearly an other. As an addict and alcoholic I really felt like that showed how we think. Blackout drunk DUE and the person typing to you right now are two different people and I generally tend to have no idea what the wasted version of me does but he is surprisingly capable. I am not proud of that but when someone says "we talked for an hour last night" and I have no memory of it that has become so routine that I just shrug it off and take another drink. I don't think Rick is presented as a protagonist at all but I see him as a troubled and terribly flawed narcissistic individual who has hurt everyone around him in some weird effort to make up for the fact that he can't find happiness. I think that is the message of the show. Not that it's good to be Rick. Unfortunately, it seems like less experienced people just see it as a message to be an asshole. For me when they talk about Rick making a video and soiling himself without remembering i'm thinking "haha i've been there" but also I do recognize that i'm a vile and horrible person.

The thing is though I think Rick is set up to be that. I cannot see any point where Rick is shown to be an intelligent arbiter. He is pragmatic and cruel and his family idolizes him for no reason other than the fact that he wooed them with charisma. Is the show bad because people don't see that or am I reading more into it because of my personal experiences of being a moderately charismatic drunk asshole?

I feel like that kind of stuff is undermined by
    Nihilistic claptrap like this at the end of ABCs of Beth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLda_P25gMQ

There's a lot of misanthropic philosophy in there that's Harmon's own, about how smart people are burdened in a way that ordinary or stupid people are not, blah blah blah jerk-off motions, and it's pathetic and demonstrably wrong?

But golly is it a soothing balm to disaffected angry white nerds who feel like all they fucking have is their intellect as their identity.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Helping my parents remove their old hulk of 40 or 45" tube TV from their 2nd story bedroom made me wonder how the hell we got this TV up there in the first place.

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    porp wrote: »
    Chimera wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    Sharks don't have butt s

Yeah, especially Flatty McGee @Sir Landshark. He's basically concave

Hey! He's been working out those glutes. He's a real boy now, I promise.

Proof is in the pudding pictures. :winky:

Chimera on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    like, to paint you guys a picture

this dude at the games workshop store had the following pins and buttons on his laptop bag:

a pickle-rick putton
    a pepe button
    a pin of solaire praising the sun
    an imperium aquila pin
    a bunch of other shit i forget

so when some other dude in the store tried to talk to him about Rick and Morty and he turned into a little dipshit about it like

uh

i dunno there's a lot going on there beyond "he was a shitty R&M fan"

y'know?

there's a whole tapestry

i can't even imagine being a person who puts pins and buttons on anything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I’m sure I have strong opinions on the preponderance of certain types of personalities relating positively to characters that are largely meant to be unlikable. But I’m on the toilet, so, the short version is: you, the artist, gotta be careful with that shit.

Just making a character the protagonist by itself affects how the audience will interpret a character and start framing assumed authorial intent

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Pony
    There is an episode where Rick gets black out drunk and does a bunch of horrible stuff. Then he sees a video of himself and starts saying to people something along the lines of "Oh shit that's drunk Rick be careful I don't know what he's up to." . The important thing to me was that he said he as if it was clearly an other. As an addict and alcoholic I really felt like that showed how we think. Blackout drunk DUE and the person typing to you right now are two different people and I generally tend to have no idea what the wasted version of me does but he is surprisingly capable. I am not proud of that but when someone says "we talked for an hour last night" and I have no memory of it that has become so routine that I just shrug it off and take another drink. I don't think Rick is presented as a protagonist at all but I see him as a troubled and terribly flawed narcissistic individual who has hurt everyone around him in some weird effort to make up for the fact that he can't find happiness. I think that is the message of the show. Not that it's good to be Rick. Unfortunately, it seems like less experienced people just see it as a message to be an asshole. For me when they talk about Rick making a video and soiling himself without remembering i'm thinking "haha i've been there" but also I do recognize that i'm a vile and horrible person.

The thing is though I think Rick is set up to be that. I cannot see any point where Rick is shown to be an intelligent arbiter. He is pragmatic and cruel and his family idolizes him for no reason other than the fact that he wooed them with charisma. Is the show bad because people don't see that or am I reading more into it because of my personal experiences of being a moderately charismatic drunk asshole?

There's a lot of misanthropic philosophy in there that's Harmon's own, about how smart people are burdened in a way that ordinary or stupid people are not, blah blah blah jerk-off motions, and it's pathetic and demonstrably wrong?

But golly is it a soothing balm to disaffected angry white nerds who feel like all they fucking have is their intellect as their identity.

Pony I'm going to say you should really watch the finale. The episode ending you're talking about is basically part 1 and a lot of those things are resolved in part 2.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Helping my parents remove their old hulk of 40 or 45" tube TV from their 2nd story bedroom made me wonder how the hell we got this TV up there in the first place.

TV came first

House was built around it

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    eat it for both of us :cry:

*hands DK a pint of Halo Top*

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    desc wrote: »
    Driving for most of automotive history: non-antilock brakes fail to stop head-on collision because there are no divider walls and the driver is impaled through the chest by the steering column

Passengers bounce around and die inside like a pachinko machine

On the other hand, tail fins

Good with the bad, folks, good with the bad
    A good friend of the family loved antique cars. He was a pathologist, and we often had him over for holiday dinners. He died when driving one of those cars back from Iowa. He got into a collision and was impaled by the steering column. :(

I did inherit all of his medical textbooks, as this happened shortly after I was accepted into med school. But of course, I would rather have the person alive than the inherited books.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    calling them out for the wrong reasons is like, the entire joke

it's just a big misdirect

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    If R&M is no big deal and most fans are reasonable I dare you to go into a dave and busters on a saturday afternoon and shout "I'M PICKLE RICK! REEEEEEEE"
    Surely there will be mostly stunned silence and people glaring at you and not a cacophony of echoed responses

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Rick and Morty is a lot like anime: Enjoy the shows, but man shut the fuck up about them in public.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Most of the “Rick and Morty fans are terrible” evidence is manufactured copypasta jokes on the level of “what the fuck did you just say about me you fucking little bitch I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals and...”

I am astonished that people take it seriously.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Marble madness died for your sins

that is a game i wanted to be good at so bad.

I feel like if you're good at it you become Zenyatta from overwatch IRL

naw i got enough racism. i don't need robo-racism too.
    real talk i kind of dressed down the other day and someone i walked past like grabbed their ladies arm and pulled them aside and i'm thinking "wait was that because of me?"

>:{

Bby...

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I do have to say I felt pretty dumb when I thought the ketchup you get at chinese places was a special chinese ketchup like the hot mustard.

And if one of you shits tells me the hot mustard is actually like german I'm going to kill and eat you.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Latency in monitors only matters if you are at like the top 1% skill level

Not really?

Like just from going from 60 to 75, I totally noticed hitting precise shots felt a little easier. It's really fairly noticeable.

That doesn't suddenly mean I'm a god player or something, but it does make a constant if subtle difference.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    If R&M is no big deal and most fans are reasonable I dare you to go into a dave and busters on a saturday afternoon and shout "I'M PICKLE RICK! REEEEEEEE"
    Surely there will be mostly stunned silence and people glaring at you and not a cacophony of echoed responses
    As opposed to, say, one time we were at an arcade bar place similar to Dave and Buster's, and one of us shouted "Who Ya Gonna Call?", and the entire room briefly stopped and busted out "Ghostbusters!"

There were a LOT of drunk people that night. And it was pretty epic.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    hoo boy this Trader Joe's coffee bag that you add hot water to and get like 10 ounces of coffee is not good.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    I put so many red pepper flakes on this pasta

The burn

I regret nothing and embrace the purification of flame

hot_pink_chili_pepper_sticker-r02cb8efee4944df381ed2cb6a3fd0889_v9waf_8byvr_512.jpg

You've Just Been Awarded The Spice Life Pasta Challenge Hottie Award For Taking It To The Next Level And Burning The Cage That We Call Our Bodies.fire_1f525.png

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Most of the “Rick and Morty fans are terrible” evidence is manufactured copypasta jokes on the level of “what the fuck did you just say about me you fucking little bitch I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals and...”

To be fair, you need to have a very high IQ to understand internet memes

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hakkes I also want to stop hearing this down talk. You rocked yesterday. You rocked the law school process. I look forward to the Hakke for President run in 2032.

but I grew up watching pokemon

don't you understand Mazzy

FlamboyantPreciousArieltoucan.gif

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    oh also @desc

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Pony

Pony I'm going to say you should really watch the finale. The episode ending you're talking about is basically part 1 and a lot of those things are resolved in part 2.

I think I'll hard pass, actually!

Not because I'm calling you a liar, but because to be quite honest, I don't think the show earned my faith or time.

I will drop the issue though, and take it in good faith that you're right and I'm talking out of ignorance because, to be fair, I didn't finish the season because it turned me off.

I have no interest in doing so, though.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I started my pc gaming career on a trackball mouse. I don't even remember why. But really mouse look wasn't originally in fps games.

It wasn't in the first couple iterations (DOOM/DN3D) but I think the original quakes allowed it as an option and it was standard by quake 3 / unreal / half-life in '98

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    As opposed to, say, one time we were at an arcade bar place similar to Dave and Buster's, and one of us shouted "Who Ya Gonna Call?", and the entire room briefly stopped and busted out "Ghostbusters!"

how many unfunny shits tried to uncreatively recapture the magic immediately after though.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

I'm not really sure what you could shout in place of that and get a positive reaction.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    All conversations about depressing cartoons would be better as discussions about Bojack Horseman, the depressingest cartoon.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I got really down after my first marathon, too. You build this thing up in your head for a year and then it’s over, which I think often has a big effect. I didn’t run nearly as fast as I’d hoped so I ended up pretty depressed about it for a while.

Yeah I feel like I had one shot and I messed it up :(

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Is there a term for a small but vocal part of a thing eventually corrupting the whole thing? I feel like I'm seeing this constantly with stuff. Some of it's organic and some of it feels purposeful (like the political stuff) and with the way fanbases work and stuff like reddit pushing things up without much nuance, it seems like that's a real problem. It's like Poe's Law come to life. Parodies intended to mock overzealous fans who are in the minority are being seen as actual overzealous fans and then everyone assumes the overzealous fans are a real problem. Not saying there isn't some truth to R&M fanbase being toxic or whatever but there's a lot of this happening in lots of places.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    hoo boy this Trader Joe's coffee bag that you add hot water to and get like 10 ounces of coffee is not good.

Isn't that like a larger version of a keurig machine?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

lets not forget reposting edited screenshots of neckbeards talking about how smart they are on facebook

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

But that's the end of that call and response. The one I named would be "REEEEEEEEEEE" for another 5 minutes at least

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Local gaming store continues to not have any copies of Volo's Guide to Monsters, but I picked up the campaign book Princes of the Apocalypse today.

So in a couple weeks I'll go back for Storm King's Thunder and see if he's got the guild in then.

Two weeks later I'll get Out of The Abyss and that's his last chance because then I'll have all the campaign books and I'll just order Volo's guide from Amazon. :P

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Isn't that like a larger version of a keurig machine?

Yeah pretty much.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

how many unfunny shits tried to uncreatively recapture the magic immediately after though.

... but if I yell I'll get the positive attention I crave. I just saw it happen!

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't know where I would even find a Dave and Buster's

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hakkes I also want to stop hearing this down talk. You rocked yesterday. You rocked the law school process. I look forward to the Hakke for President run in 2032.

but I grew up watching pokemon

don't you understand Mazzy

FlamboyantPreciousArieltoucan.gif

Well maybe don't run for president then, not sure that is where the very best are...

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Man, it was like the DJ playing the "Hokey Pokey" at a wedding reception. No one was feelin' it after that. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
This discussion has been closed.