As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Is Kingdom Death worth the 400 MSRP? I was thinking of getting into Shadespire, but some last minute temptation coming from KD.

It's absolutely worth if you think $400 is ok to spend on a board game. If not, it isn't.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ordering in some things from the UK for my wife's Christmas presents and whoops I might have just accidentally also bought Concordia.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Wow. Asmodee's holiday clearance sale has some rediculous things in it.

Edit: Including Seafall for $20.

Oh that is ALMOST tempting.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I bought the third army for Battlelore, since I passed on it last year and have been looking for a cheap copy ever since. It's stupid since I never play Battlelore but yknow sometimes you just gotta do these things.

$30 for both packs shipped

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Ladies & Gentlemen is $15!

• Options
    MordenthralMordenthral Registered User regular
    The minis for the Tokaido Matsuri expansion are available now. My collector's edition box will finally have all the spaces filled. Happy days.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

Picked up Seafall for a friend and Ladies and Gentlemen for maybe me, maybe some family. Haven't decided yet.

I was tempted to pick up a bunch of Summoner Wars factions, but then I remembered I've only played that game a handfull of times and I should probably play it more before it is actually worth dropping tons of money on all those little faction packs. Ridiculous how many things there are for that game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Picked up a Ladies and Gentlemen and a Seafall from the Asmodee holiday sale. @Athenor Thanks for the heads up!

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Black Fleet is also in that sale, that's a pretty fun 3 player game.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Cave Troll and Metro are both solid purchases for 10 dollars each.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I picked myself a copy of Fresco, since I've heard good things about it.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Wow the Battlelore stuff sold out quick this time around

I was real tempted by Earth Reborn for $30 but man talks about a game no one would ever play with me

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Petersen Games new project, Evil High Priest, just released a full gameplay video.

Gotta admit, it's gonna be REAL hard to resist this one. It's got a lot going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cexNoKoWz1w

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Review requests: Master of Orion, Madness at Midnight, Fate of the Elder Gods?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Petersen Games new project, Evil High Priest, just released a full gameplay video.

Gotta admit, it's gonna be REAL hard to resist this one. It's got a lot going on.

Looks neat, get back to me of it's a rationally priced game this time around

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Review requests: Master of Orion, Madness at Midnight, Fate of the Elder Gods?

A master of Orion boardgame!?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    It exists.

• Options
    I vaguely recall hearing that it was a pretty good tableau building card game kinda in the vein of Race for the galaxy? Never seen a copy in the flesh myself.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I've talked about Master of Orion in this thread, you can search for it. Played it at GenCon, bought it there and played it a couple more times. Short version: we enjoy it, but there might be some small balance issues.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Our definitions of that are wildly different so no.

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Is Kingdom Death worth the 400 MSRP? I was thinking of getting into Shadespire, but some last minute temptation coming from KD.

It's absolutely worth if you think $400 is ok to spend on a board game. If not, it isn't.

The art is going to be uh, polarizing for a game group to say the least. I like a lot of it as horror art that feels novel, but some of the cheesecake loses me and I game with people that tend to be more on the "normal" side of the spectrum, so i'd never buy it since i'd never dare show it at my table.

They also appear to be in a loop of selling way fewer expansions to things than there are base sets out there, leading to an eyewatering secondary market of scalpers selling from kickstarters + people effectively pirating figures from chinese sellers.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    kaliyama wrote: »

The art is going to be uh, polarizing for a game group to say the least. I like a lot of it as horror art that feels novel, but some of the cheesecake loses me and I game with people that tend to be more on the "normal" side of the spectrum, so i'd never buy it since i'd never dare show it at my table.

They also appear to be in a loop of selling way fewer expansions to things than there are base sets out there, leading to an eyewatering secondary market of scalpers selling from kickstarters + people effectively pirating figures from chinese sellers.

I'm very very anti-cheesecake but the KD game itself has very little of it and what it does have is pretty much equally male and female. It's the "Pin-ups" line that has the gross crap but none of that has game rules with it; they're all just models.

• Options

I recall you saying it was an immediate pass when I mentioned it.
    Heard $50.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I picked up Clank! In! Space! last weekend at GameHoleCon and it's a lovely upgrade in mechanics from Clank! And the game's full of fun references to other scifi properties. The last, worst space on the Boss Rage track is Plaid-colored. Green, Orange, Red, Plaid.

But seriously, it slows down the gameplay of Clank! just enough to make things interesting. You have to hack two terminals (they're all over the place) before you can enter the deepest part of the ship where all the relics are, and there's two alternative movement possibilities beyond just building for tons of Boots. And you leave the ship by retreating to an Escape Pod and no two players can use the same pod.

There's a bunch more subtle differences and additions that I'd be happy to go through if anyone would like. I super recommend it if you liked Clank! at all but wanted it to have some more meat on it's bones.

• Options

Heard $50.

Interesting...

• Options

I did indeed. Their projects have been horrible lately, incredibly late, poor communication, badly playtested and at least one was a complete garbage fire. Combine that with a lot of the sexist crap they were throwing around on BGG until Sandy got tired of being called on it and stormed out never to return like a 10 year old and you'll find a company I REALLY don't want to give more money to.

• Options
    Thanks for the heads-up on that.

• Options
    I did indeed. Their projects have been horrible lately, incredibly late, poor communication, badly playtested and at least one was a complete garbage fire. Combine that with a lot of the sexist crap they were throwing around on BGG until Sandy got tired of being called on it and stormed out never to return like a 10 year old and you'll find a company I REALLY don't want to give more money to.
    You can justify it by keeping in mind that Lincoln created this game. His sexism levels are still unknown.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I'm very very anti-cheesecake but the KD game itself has very little of it and what it does have is pretty much equally male and female. It's the "Pin-ups" line that has the gross crap but none of that has game rules with it; they're all just models.

I find that hard to believe when both images they use on the frontpage of their website have cheesecake. And it seems to fall pretty firmly in objectified woman, male power fantasy to me, more than equal objectification.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I find that hard to believe when both images they use on the frontpage of their website have cheesecake. And it seems to fall pretty firmly in objectified woman, male power fantasy to me, more than equal objectification.

I can back up MP's comments about the parity of actual in-game art.

And not that it has a bearing on the game proper, but they're even working on a bunch of male characters for their pin-up releases as well.

• Options
    We don’t want the objectification to stop; just make sure both extremes are objectified equally!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Hey, so before I start hunting for a copy of Concordia, because of a lot of reviews praising its elegance, what games are most similar to it?

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Agreed, they do not do a very good job on the marketing and ABSOLUTELY are using female objectification in it. They give more than enough reasons to write off the game quite frankly.

Just know in the game itself, it's more subdued. Plus, remember, they did add a whole line of male pin-ups with the last KS project which, while not even close to a solution, is at least a step in the right direction I guess.

And, opinions may vary obviously, but I think the two starter male survivors are pretty hot (although Zachary does come very close to just being a male power fantasy stereotype even for me).

Survivors.jpg

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    You can justify it by keeping in mind that Lincoln created this game. His sexism levels are still unknown.

I'm pretty sure he joined Arthur in openly mocking people that presented any concern about the issue actually.

And really no one needs to justify it; calling it out is pretty much all we can do. Buy what you want.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I forgot the starting survivors have names.

They've always been the fantastic quartet of Beard, No Beard, Top Falling Off and Top Fallen Off to us.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

They've always been the fantastic quartet of Beard, No Beard, Top Falling Off and Top Fallen Off to us.

I always thought Beard was headbanging.

• Options

I like to think Erza's top didn't fall off as much as she thought "I'm about to get eaten by literally everything including the damn ground, fuck trying to find a bra."

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I don't have a very large breadth of experience, is Conan worth it for $50?

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Haven't played but I think it's in the same category as Kingdom Death, Shadow of Brimstone and Myth where the base game is fun but only really worth it if you can get the whole Kickstarter bundle.

• Options
    Fuselage wrote: »
    I don't have a very large breadth of experience, is Conan worth it for $50?

I've heard lots of pretty bad stuff re Conan but haven't really looked into it much because I hate Conan.