Options

[US Foreign Policy] Tillerson Out At State

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Lavar Ball threatened to visit China if they didn't release his son.

Trump was already there and the Chinese people can only handle one supremely loud and wrong American asshole in the country at a time.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Yes when you're in a foreign country you're supposed to obey the laws of where you are, but this isn't about that. It's about the president condemning American citizens over what he perceives a lack of gratitude / worship.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    He's also bragging about getting them out of the consequences of a crime that's also a crime in the U.S., for which they were punished in the same way that any Chinese citizen would have been.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    This entire article probably deserves a read, but:
    “There is an impression by politicians here that President Trump in person is no longer the voice of the free Western world,” said Christian Ehler, a German lawmaker who heads the European Parliament’s delegation for relations with the United States and helped broker Brown’s visit to Brussels. “We are much more carefully looking now to the diversity of what is being discussed in the United States, and we see that California is one of the powerhouses of the world economically.”

European leaders said they have been frustrated by the Trump administration’s unprecedented slowness in filling senior political jobs at the State Department and Pentagon, which has given them few policy interlocutors in Washington.

Ambassadors complain that even when they can secure meetings with administration officials, the policy is often unclear.

“The problem is that people don’t know anything,” said one Eastern European ambassador in Washington who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share his frank opinion. “They are quite open about it. . . . It doesn’t matter what level. It is all levels.”

Foreign policy actors internationally are effectively treating the current national administration as nonexistent, instead bringing policy issues that would be discussed at the national level instead down to subnational actors that are demonstrating actual governance.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Welcome back, city states.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Damn it, being President is a thankless fucking job, that's the entire point. You negotiate to get those citizens out of a foreign prison because it's the right thing to do, not to feed your fucking ego.

What a fucking child.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    He basically wants to be king, not president.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

He expected to be King. He (along with other, uh, "low information" voters) had been consistent about that for a very long time: he thought that the President literally ruled the US.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

He expected to be King. He (along with other, uh, "low information" voters) had been consistent about that for a very long time: he thought that the President literally ruled the US.

Voters always Yearn For A King on both sides of the aisle.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I'm not agreeing with either, I'm completely hung up on the part where Trump says he should've left American citizens in a foreign prison. That is just... god fucking damn.

Hey guys maybe I'll be the next US President since any dingdong can get it now.

It's been a very popular talking point in Reich wing media circles. Just like how they think Bergdahl should have been left in the hands of the enemy.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I can't be the only person that gets super nervous when I see this thread hovering near the top of things, right?

I hate to say it, but i"m actually relieved it's just the President getting into a twitter fight with a basketball family.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I can't be the only person that gets super nervous when I see this thread hovering near the top of things, right?

I hate to say it, but i"m actually relieved it's just the President getting into a twitter fight with a basketball family.
    Well, that's a charitable view of it. It's the president declaring he'd rather leave Americans high and dry for the sake of his ego. And, once again, he's picking a fight with people of color.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Well, that's a charitable view of it. It's the president declaring he'd rather leave Americans high and dry for the sake of his ego. And, once again, he's picking a fight with people of color.

well yes.

But he's not declaring WWIII, so at this point I'll take it.

It's dumb, it's shitty, it's childish and petty and everything else we've come to expect.

But he's not firing missiles at Zimbabwe.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Well now this is just sad

Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!

...what happened?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Well now this is just sad

Shoplifting is a very big deal in China, as it should be (5-10 years in jail), but not to father LaVar. Should have gotten his son out during my next trip to China instead. China told them why they were released. Very ungrateful!

...what happened?

Short version: 3 UCLA basketball players were arrested in China for shoplifting. Recently they were released, and Trump tweeted about how he helped them out and wondered if they would be grateful.

LaVar Ball, the father of one of the players, implied their release wasn't due to the President.

So now Trump is tweeting about how he should have left them in jail.

Follow up:

I read the President's tweets to LaVar Ball just now over the phone & he questioned why the President wasn't focused on more important things.

ABC producer

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I read the President's tweets to LaVar Ball just now over the phone & he questioned why the President wasn't focused on more important things.
    The list of important things to President Trump, according to President Trump:
    1. President Trump's ego.
    2. um...
    3. er...
    4. hang on, I got this...
    5. maybe- no...
    6. Russ- no, not that...
    7. What was that guy's name, the rocket guy?
    8. The wall...?
    9. Jared, help me out here. What?
    10. National Security? I guess?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The list of important things to President Trump, according to President Trump:
    1. President Trump's ego.
    2. um...
    3. er...
    4. hang on, I got this...
    5. maybe- no...
    6. Russ- no, not that...
    7. What was that guy's name, the rocket guy?
    8. The wall...?
    9. Jared, help me out here. What?
    10. National Security? I guess?
    If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

what?

democrats yearn for decent policy, rights, and for the gop to stop being completely insane

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

??????

I know there's some financial connections, but like who are they sponsoring here?

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    "Why can't Un be my friend while I declare him a source of terror and throw elementary school-level insults at him?"

This fucking guy.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

??????

I know there's some financial connections, but like who are they sponsoring here?
    Oh cool I'm having flashbacks to the "Axis of Evil" shit.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

??????

They are sponsoring the distraction from tax cuts, the Russia investigation, Roy Moore, and fallout from saying he should have just left Americans in Chinese prison because they werent grateful enough.

Viskod on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    I wish "state sponsor of terror" would stop being a category.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It does seem a little hollow coming from the US with our checkered history.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Realistically, there aren't many countries on the planet that aren't, or weren't in the recent past, at some level.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

??????

Seriously. This isn't a good thing--but primarily in the sense that it wasn't a good thing the last time we did it either.

Yes, fairly stupid and ultimately quite useless move on the Trump government, but also very stupid and quite useless move by the Bush government before it, right down to that period of time we were threatening military action against Iran and North Korea as well.

Certain things the Trump government does in the area of foreign affairs (like who they chose the bomb the hell out of, or who they enact sanctions against) are not even a little new. This is one of these things I would say.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

??????

Seriously. This isn't a good thing--but primarily in the sense that it wasn't a good thing the last time we did it either.

Yes, fairly stupid and ultimately quite useless move on the Trump government, but also very stupid and quite useless move by the Bush government before it, right down to that period of time we were threatening military action against Iran and North Korea as well.

Certain things the Trump government does in the area of foreign affairs (like who they chose the bomb the hell out of, or who they enact sanctions against) are not even a little new. This is one of these things I would say.

If they're looking to justify future military action, it's not without use.

Especially since the AUMF is so vaguely worded and aggressively interpreted.

Oh look, suddenly an excuse to circumvent congressional approval to start some shit with them.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

what?

democrats yearn for decent policy, rights, and for the gop to stop being completely insane

I'm pretty sure what Cantido meant was "voters on both sides yearn for the guy they vote in as President to just act and do shit and complain when things get in the way of the agenda they voted for".

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    "Why can't Un be my friend while I declare him a source of terror and throw elementary school-level insults at him?"

This fucking guy.

If placing an entire people in perpetual fear of indescriminate death raining from the sky at any moment isn't at least terror-adjacent, then

I guess we're both in the clear?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

what?

I'm pretty sure what Cantido meant was "voters on both sides yearn for the guy they vote in as President to just act and do shit and complain when things get in the way of the agenda they voted for".

ahh I gotcha

I guess so, but for different reasons. the gop being crazy and/or evil kind of necessitates that.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I think that classification at State is a necessary precondition for certain sanctions?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited November 2017

what?

Yeah. The progressive version is the Magical Unicorn God-King Savior*, who (if elected) will Fix All The World's Problems Forever, and who requires nothing from his followers besides regular prayers on social media and only getting off their asses to vote once every four years**. When the candidate inevitably fails to live up to this impossible standard/narrative/level of hype and is revealed as merely a limited, flawed, non-omnipotent mortal human, the disappointment on the left is profound.

* Obama, or rather the imaginary Obama, was all of the above plus a hearty helping of Magic Negro, which is its own trope.
    ** Because, you know, we want cool stuff, but actually getting involved in politics is dirty and hard, and often unsatisfyingly short on big obvious victories.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    moniker wrote: »
    I think that classification at State is a necessary precondition for certain sanctions?

I think so? As opposed to "Axis of Evil," I believe the T word lets you start freezing accounts; or gets the ball rolling.

Though that might just be getting classified as a terrorist organization; and "sponsor" may just be hollow invective.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options

I think so? As opposed to "Axis of Evil," I believe the T word lets you start freezing accounts; or gets the ball rolling.

Though that might just be getting classified as a terrorist organization; and "sponsor" may just be hollow invective.

We were already sanctioning the shit out of them, but apparently we have now stepped it up.
    Mnuchin will be able to freeze assets of any individual or business that trades in goods, services or technology with Pyongyang.

"Foreign financial institutions are now on notice that going forward they can choose to do business with the United States or North Korea, but not both," Mnuchin said.

The U.S. government can now also target companies in a range of industries: banks, energy, manufacturing, textiles and fishing. Even ships and aircraft that go to North Korea would be banned from the United States for 180 days.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

Is there anyone at State who cares if protocol is being followed or will enforce if it is not?

• Options

Is there anyone at State who cares if protocol is being followed or will enforce if it is not?

They're trying to push China to stop dealing with them entirely, so they may take enforcement pretty seriously.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

Yes there are civil servants at State who care. Not everyone is Tillerson.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    It does seem a little hollow coming from the US with our checkered history.

With us, private industry (AIOC/BP in the Iran intervention in 1953, US Fruit in Guatemala, various other private interest since the 1970's) makes the request and foots the bill, then our alphabet agencies and military carry out the actions. Rather than a state paying private/independent actors.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I thought Tillerson fired the sanction department when it was time to enforce the Russian sanctions?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

what?

Yeah. The progressive version is the Magical Unicorn God-King Savior*, who (if elected) will Fix All The World's Problems Forever, and who requires nothing from his followers besides regular prayers on social media and only getting off their asses to vote once every four years**. When the candidate inevitably fails to live up to this impossible standard/narrative/level of hype and is revealed as merely a limited, flawed, non-omnipotent mortal human, the disappointment on the left is profound.

* Obama, or rather the imaginary Obama, was all of the above plus a hearty helping of Magic Negro, which is its own trope.
    ** Because, you know, we want cool stuff, but actually getting involved in politics is dirty and hard, and often unsatisfyingly short on big obvious victories.
    Not the thread for it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.