As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2018 Challenge Coin - Contact Kiddercorp for coins!

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    That's a good idea :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited November 2017
    New poll!!

Rank the finishes in order from 1-4 :)

https://goo.gl/forms/1q9iJqe8cJ6i0ndg1

Poll will end Nov 6th at 7pm CST

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Been out of the loop for a bit, glad to see the coin is already in development. Ready to get in on it whenever it is done!

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
    Poll Results!

1st choice = 4 points
    2nd choice = 3 points
    3rd choice = 2 points
    4th choice = 1 point

Gold:
    1st Choice - 18x4=72
    2nd Choice - 3x3=9
    3rd Choice - 7x2=14
    4th Choice - 2x1=2
    Total = 97

Silver:
    1st Choice - 6x4=24
    2nd Choice - 14x3=42
    3rd Choice - 5x2=10
    4th Choice - 5x1=5
    Total = 81

Black Nickel:
    1st Choice - 10x4=40
    2nd Choice - 0x3=0
    3rd Choice - 2x2=4
    4th Choice - 8x1=8
    Total = 52

Chrome:
    1st Choice - 2x4=8
    2nd Choice - 12x3=36
    3rd Choice - 11x2=22
    4th Choice - 5x1=5
    Total = 71

It looks like people would like the coin to be gold!

OtyHMcu.jpg
    So, we know what the location side will be, we know it will be ribbed, in gold, and we'll order both colour and regular coins.

But! We still need to figure out what will be on the Gaming side.

Previously, we talked about:

SNES Classic Mini
    MAME cabinet
    Raspberry Pi Retro-pi machine
    Would you kindly"
    Mario Star
    PAX coat of arms
    It's dangerous to go alone! Take this

And I made an image with the PAX coat of arms with, "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this" around it.

Any further thoughts?

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    I'm going to throw in a few votes for "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."... Ideally, I'd love to see the old man giving Link the challenge coin, but even the crest with that text works. The scene with the old man and Link may prove difficult as the coin itself would be tiny. On the other hand, having an 8-bit coin (like the ones from Super Mario Bros) would be kind of awesome.

qbqtLfO.png
  • BadCrumpanyBadCrumpany Registered User regular
    RILMS wrote: »
    Poll Results!

1st choice = 4 points
    2nd choice = 3 points
    3rd choice = 2 points
    4th choice = 1 point

It looks like people would like the coin to be gold!

If we end up doing two coins (one color and one non-color), is it possible to do one in gold and one in the second place silver for added variety? Didn't know if this tacks on considerable cost or if that was an option.

If we end up doing two coins (one color and one non-color), is it possible to do one in gold and one in the second place silver for added variety? Didn't know if this tacks on considerable cost or if that was an option.

I don't know...but I can ask

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I'm going to throw in a few votes for "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."... Ideally, I'd love to see the old man giving Link the challenge coin, but even the crest with that text works. The scene with the old man and Link may prove difficult as the coin itself would be tiny. On the other hand, having an 8-bit coin (like the ones from Super Mario Bros) would be kind of awesome.

That's an awesome idea.

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    For the record, when I said "having an 8 bit coin", I meant that the old man would be handing Link an 8 bit coin with the text. That last comment got me thinking, however, about an actual 8-bit-styled challenge coin. Since we voted for gold and all....if only. lol

qbqtLfO.png
  • MegamaxmaxMegamaxmax Registered User regular
    however, about an actual 8-bit-styled challenge coin. Since we voted for gold and all....if only. lol
    Nah, the company would have to make a whole new mold just for our coins, rather than just changing the face molds. Would end up costing the company far too much, plus they would make a minimum order number of say, ten thousand or so.

Also I vote that the color version(If there is one this year) To be gold, and perhaps the black and white to be silver.

Megamaxmax wrote: »
    however, about an actual 8-bit-styled challenge coin. Since we voted for gold and all....if only. lol
    Nah, the company would have to make a whole new mold just for our coins, rather than just changing the face molds. Would end up costing the company far too much, plus they would make a minimum order number of say, ten thousand or so.

Also I vote that the color version(If there is one this year) To be gold, and perhaps the black and white to be silver.

Hence the “if only...lol” part. Not realistic, but would be cool if they could.

qbqtLfO.png
  • DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    all the polls closed, so what is the art we are looking at at this point. I haven't overlooked posts of the pictures, have I?

edited November 2017
    5f2o41u2nbb5.png
    qcir72jl0z0d.png

Here is my bad Photoshop version of the coin. Thoughts?

**Note: Dates will change on the final version

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    Megamaxmax wrote: »

I talked with Kiddercorp, they told me that there is no extra cost for different finishes. So, we could do that if people wanted

OtyHMcu.jpg
    edited November 2017
    5f2o41u2nbb5.png
    qcir72jl0z0d.png

Here is my bad Photoshop version of the coin. Thoughts?

**Note: Dates will change on the final version

Love the photoshop work!

I think in order to make the text uniform size and allow more room for the graphics, we should also have "It's dangerous to go alone!" and "Take this." be in semi circles above and below the graphics. Then the man and the coin can be a little bit bigger. Also, in the game, all of the letters are capitalized. Should we follow suit? I'd vote for keeping it as authentic as we can in terms of size/punctuation, with the exception of bending the text in semi circles in order to fit the curve of the coin.

mnemonictutor on
    qbqtLfO.png
    I agree with the semi circles for the lettering. I am unsure how to do that in GIMP...but I am sure Kiddercorp knows :)

I'd be ok with all of the letters being capitals

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Forum has been kind of quiet, so unless I hear otherwise, I will send Kiddercorp the design for the coin as presented with Gold for the colour coin and Silver for the regular coin Thursday evening or Friday morning :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • rickman33rickman33 Registered User regular
    What was ultimately decided ? Riverwalk boat, and "Take This"?
    It would be kind of cool to kind of redesign the "Take This" side.
    I would rather it just have the sword, personally. And I don't know if the reverse wording could have the Latin for "It Is Dangerous to Go Alone"=Periculosum est solus, and "Take This"=hanc (or if that's even the accurate translation (from Google Translate).
    iwqjz7zt4dj7.png

edited November 2017
    Here is what I've gotten from Kiddercorp.

fw5ovmoehr3b.jpg

u5r3vhal59to.jpg

I just noticed it doesn't say San Antonio, TX on it

I would like to have them reviewed and corrections made by Monday morning :)

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
    Dang. I know it's all final, but I just don't like the two rows of words around the game side of the coin. And what is the circle with the cross in it? Why isn't the sword there? It seems out of place not being pixelated like the old man. I'm so particular and picky, I know.
    I'll still buy whatever we have decided upon, because this whole PAX challenge coin thing is rad. :)

And, of course, there's a typo there. You have ALONE1, instead of ALONE!

When I put "numquam mentula es" into Google Translate, it translates it to "you never prick". Lol.

rickman33 wrote: »
    Dang. I know it's all final, but I just don't like the two rows of words around the game side of the coin. And what is the circle with the cross in it? Why isn't the sword there? It seems out of place not being pixelated like the old man. I'm so particular and picky, I know.

I believe we picked a coin as people are getting a coin. The cross can be taken out, it was just an image I had found

I can see how the curved words would be odd. What would a good alternative be?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I think the curved words are fine. Sure they look a bit weird, but eh. I think the small coin the man is giving probably needs to change. If we are brainstorming this, the coin should be an 8bit coin (with the hard edges) like in Super Mario Brothers, or if we want to keep with the Zelda theme, it can be one of the diamond shaped coins in the Zelda game. The smooth round coin kind of hints at it being the smaller version of the challenge coin, but it looks out of place. How can we translate that he is giving the challenge coin to link? That is the real question. I don't know if is possible, but if they could somehow shrink the design from the front of the challenge coin to fit into the small challenge coin in the pic, that would accomplish it. I just think that it is too small to make that happen. The other option is to change the coin to an 8bit version and have "PAX" inside of it where the cross is? I think overall we are very close. The only issue I see is the small coin in the graphic not being 8bit and not really conveying that it is the PAX challenge coin being given to Link.

qbqtLfO.png
    I don't think we can make the coin look like the challenge coin...but I like the 8-bit idea and having PAX inside it

OtyHMcu.jpg
    So changes to be made:

Add San Antonio, TX
    Change 1 to ! after "ALONE"
    Pixelate coin and put PAX in the middle of it

Anything else?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    So, looks like Kiddercorp can fix all of the things except for making the coin pixelated. They understand why we'd like it like that, but it wouldn't come out well unless they used a photo mat (like in 2016).

Do people have any thoughts?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    Here are the fixes they have done and suggested putting PAX instead of a coin. Thoughts?

yb4i62yc54xw.jpg
    nwz987ualyz1.jpg

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    Just a few questions/thoughts:
    1. Would the "Take This" text look better without the period?
    2. Are we allowed to use the PAX logo typefont? (See pic below). If so, would it be feasible to put it on the coin in place of the "PAX" text?
    3. Assuming number 2 is a no-go, can we change the "PAX" text to an orange color?

4ps5q80vp9i4.png

dkmbNgP.png
    1) Hmm...I could see that. It had a period in the original version, but we could change it for ascetics

2) I don't think so with out permission, and at this point, it may take too long to get

3) I like that idea :)

4) I just noticed there are two 2018s on the location side, do we want to take one out or leave them in? If out, which one?

OtyHMcu.jpg
    I find it odd that they can pixelate the old man and the lettering, but can't make an 8-bit coin. That just seems odd...

qbqtLfO.png
    This was the reason they gave,

"The reason is how enamel coins are painted. The act of painting these means we need lines between each color.
    The pixel boxes would end up making each one look very strange."

OtyHMcu.jpg
    1) Hmm...I could see that. It had a period in the original version, but we could change it for ascetics

2) I don't think so with out permission, and at this point, it may take too long to get

3) I like that idea :)

4) I just noticed there are two 2018s on the location side, do we want to take one out or leave them in? If out, which one?

Understood on #2. I figured that would be the case, but thought it good to ask.

Good catch on the "2018". I didn't see that either until you pointed it out. I think omitting the bottom "2018" would look the best.

I think the idea of the old man giving the "PAX" is a cool idea. I keep trying to think if there are any other "unofficial" PAX icons/inside-jokes/things related to PAX that are well-known throughout the community that could replace the text, but I can't really think of any at the moment. At least none that are not already licensed.

dkmbNgP.png
    This might be a crazy idea, but would it be hard to turn the "PAX" text into a badge instead? I think that'd be pretty cool if the old guy was handing you a PAX badge. My fear is that it would just be a colored square, which would obviously defeat the purpose, but any thoughts on this?

dkmbNgP.png
    Removing the bottom ",2018" would be my vote since its already PAX South 2018, so the 2018 on the date is implied. :)

This might be a crazy idea, but would it be hard to turn the "PAX" text into a badge instead? I think that'd be pretty cool if the old guy was handing you a PAX badge. My fear is that it would just be a colored square, which would obviously defeat the purpose, but any thoughts on this?

Yeah...I think it'd just look like a coloured square...

OtyHMcu.jpg

Yeah...I think it'd just look like a coloured square...

Welp, I think what we have now is pretty cool! If the "PAX" is changed to orange, it'll really tie in with PAX South.

dkmbNgP.png

Welp, I think what we have now is pretty cool! If the "PAX" is changed to orange, it'll really tie in with PAX South.

Great point!

• DevereauxDevereaux Registered User regular
    The pin looks good so far!

Check out my lanyard and let's trade ;)https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Devereaux