Options

[GW2] Third Expansion Announced - End of Dragons! We're going to Cantha!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Just finished the newest Living story and
    Scruffy 2.0 is a fucking badass. Holy shit
    Also
    inquest powered mecha-scarab plague??

double also: Fuck Palawa Joko

spool32 on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Wintersday is out woo. Game is crashing a shitton, 3x in 10 minutes, woo! Probably going to need a hotfix or so.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Town clothes are now outfits purchaseable with tonics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7jd3wx/psa_you_can_now_trade_town_clothe_tonics_for_an/

I'm actually with u/Dagos here. This pisses me off considerably, because it screws over folks who got rid of their tonics at some point in the past 4 years only to get scalped by data miners who saw the items and speculated on their imminent release. Price for those tonics they spent gems on so long ago is well over 300g now.

Not to mention wtf, now we have to spend gold on outfits that were originally given to us for free? ANet, please.

• Options
    KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    naengwen wrote: »
    Town clothes are now outfits purchaseable with tonics.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7jd3wx/psa_you_can_now_trade_town_clothe_tonics_for_an/

I'm actually with u/Dagos here. This pisses me off considerably, because it screws over folks who got rid of their tonics at some point in the past 4 years only to get scalped by data miners who saw the items and speculated on their imminent release. Price for those tonics they spent gems on so long ago is well over 300g now.

Not to mention wtf, now we have to spend gold on outfits that were originally given to us for free? ANet, please.

I have several town clothes tonics in various places. Let me see how many extra I have.

Edit: Quite a few of the town clothes extra, but those aren't the expensive ones. My riding clothes and hoodie are long gone.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Aww I had a few tonics sitting in my bank that i deleted some weeks ago to make space

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    It MIGHT be possible to contact Support to restore your tonics if you can prove that you used to have the tonics, at least for the expensive ones. Not worth it for the regular Town Clothes ones I think; while more expensive than they used to be, I doubt they'll go above 1 gold each.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    I've started the ball rolling on Wintersday decorations in the guild hall - definately needs some more love if any of our other decorators wants to step up!

Edit:

OMG, look at the festive Jackal!!! SO CUTE!! Raptor and Springer (look at the mittens!!) not bad either

Leandriell on
  • Options
    Leandriell wrote: »
    I've started the ball rolling on Wintersday decorations in the guild hall - definately needs some more love if any of our other decorators wants to step up!

Edit:

OMG, look at the festive Jackal!!! SO CUTE!! Raptor and Springer (look at the mittens!!) not bad either

Edit:

Speaking of

It would be cool if y'all donated to the guild hall! we are actually pretty close to Decorations 4!!!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Any thoughts on the snowflake trade-in? I feel like giving up flawless snowflakes might not be the best idea since they are also crafting ingredients...

spool32 on
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    It MIGHT be possible to contact Support to restore your tonics if you can prove that you used to have the tonics, at least for the expensive ones. Not worth it for the regular Town Clothes ones I think; while more expensive than they used to be, I doubt they'll go above 1 gold each.

I found the following in my email from three years ago:

Me to ANet:
    "I purchased from the gem store the following: the Riding Pants, the Riding Boots, and a Casual Hoodie. These items are no longer clothing and are now tonics, which I do not want. Please refund my gems for these items. "

ANet to me:
    "All items eligible for a refund have been processed at this time. You will see your refund reflected in your gem total on the Gem Store."

So I got my gems back years ago, and I would guess they won't give me back the items now that they're useful again three years later. Oh well.

Edit: I put my 7 extra common clothing tonics in the guild bank if you want one. I figure I can save a few people the 3 silver it would cost to buy them. :)

Kylindra on
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the snowflake trade-in? I feel like giving up flawless snowflakes might not be the best idea since they are also crafting ingredients...

They're 2.4 silver. I think you're fine. :)

• Options

The new snowflakes can be used in recipies instead iirc

• Options

is the relative value the same?

Kylindra wrote: »

I guess I'm concerned that they'll mostly be traded in and you won't be able to get the flawless ones anymore.

• Options
    edited December 2017

is the relative value the same?

I guess I'm concerned that they'll mostly be traded in and you won't be able to get the flawless ones anymore.

Did they remove the ability to create them?

Edit: Oh I see. All snowflakes now convert into the Ur-Snowflake, which is convenient for crafting and using as currency. I'm guessing the old snowflakes aren't dropping from gifts any more, either?

Edit 2: The relative value is correct because the conversion ratios are the same. You're losing nothing and gaining only convenience.

Edit 3: The only downside is it's harder to stockpile them since there's not separate material slot stacks for the Ur-Snowflake and therefore a lower cap. However, this is mitigated by the complete lack of any reason to stockpile them. :P

Kylindra on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    If there's one thing I didn't miss about this game while gone, it's the tons of different currencies used for stuff.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    If there's one thing I didn't miss about this game while gone, it's the tons of different currencies used for stuff.

At least now we have a wallet *and* a keychain *and* the ones that are also consumable for currency go into Material Storage so all those fucking currencies don't clutter up our inventory.

It's still insanely obnoxious how their fix for an MMO economy's general MMO... ness... was to just make a new goddamn currency for every single fucking map. Well, okay, I guess PoF mostly uses the same currencies for all their maps, thank god, unlike how HoT *had* to have a new currency AND a new key type for EVERY MAP. :\

• Options

At least now we have a wallet *and* a keychain *and* the ones that are also consumable for currency go into Material Storage so all those fucking currencies don't clutter up our inventory.

It's still insanely obnoxious how their fix for an MMO economy's general MMO... ness... was to just make a new goddamn currency for every single fucking map. Well, okay, I guess PoF mostly uses the same currencies for all their maps, thank god, unlike how HoT *had* to have a new currency AND a new key type for EVERY MAP. :\

It did force you to do a lot in every HoT map to get the Nevermore precurso, instead of just grinding the one you liked best.

• Options

It did force you to do a lot in every HoT map to get the Nevermore precurso, instead of just grinding the one you liked best.

Needing to force players to do certain content is a sure sign that your content is high quality and fun! /s

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular

Edit 3: The only downside is it's harder to stockpile them since there's not separate material slot stacks for the Ur-Snowflake and therefore a lower cap. However, this is mitigated by the complete lack of any reason to stockpile them. :P

There is actually a vendor in Divinity's Reach who will trade 1000 Ur-Snowflakes for 1 Snow Diamond, which has it's own material slot. Working the same as Candy Corn now.

• Options

Needing to force players to do certain content is a sure sign that your content is high quality and fun! /s

ehhh, did you look at my legendary gathering list?

The most efficient way is the best way. If that means spamming Auric Basin meta a million times instead of experiencing the rest of the maps, the "fun way" won't get me the staff faster so... no fun way.

Needing to do things on all the maps meant I was guided to and through a bunch of content I might never have discovered. I think it was a good design choice.

• Options
    edited December 2017

The most efficient way is the best way.

I disagree completely. I got the gold I needed to buy my precursor (back in the old days) without grinding whatsoever. I just did whatever I felt like and saved up slowly over a long period of time. It took longer, but I enjoyed it more.

You're going to burn out on this game and end up quitting the moment you get your legendary if you have to do stuff you don't like to get there. The game "forcing" you to incorporate variety by making you go to un-fun zones is not a feature. The game having un-fun content in the first place is not a feature. The game having insane grind is not a feature.

The statement "I'm glad this game makes me play things I don't like so I don't get sick of the things I like since I have to play so much to get a single thing I want" is not the statement of someone who is playing a good game.

Kylindra on
  • Options

I disagree completely. I got the gold I needed to buy my precursor (back in the old days) without grinding whatsoever. I just did whatever I felt like and saved up slowly over a long period of time. It took longer, but I enjoyed it more.

You're going to burn out on this game and end up quitting the moment you get your legendary if you have to do stuff you don't like to get there. The game "forcing" you to incorporate variety by making you go to un-fun zones is not a feature. The game having un-fun content in the first place is not a feature. The game having insane grind is not a feature.

The statement "I'm glad this game makes me play things I don't like so I don't get sick of the things I like since I have to play so much to get a single thing I want" is not the statement of someone who is playing a good game.

I didn't end up disliking any of the HoT zones, though. I even ended up enjoying Tangled Depths after I learned how to move through it effectively. Getting 112 HoT masteries was challenging and felt like an achievement, getting 100% was very challenging and also really rewarding, and I never ended up having to grind away at anything because the map currency came with the meta which advanced other things and it all interlaced together.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    fuzzycumulonimbuscloud.2786
    can I get an invite

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017

Edit:

Speaking of

It would be cool if y'all donated to the guild hall! we are actually pretty close to Decorations 4!!!

Dropped a bunch of Elder Planks and Linseed Oil in tonight - is there a particular picklist of items that we're in need of, or just fill the blanks as we see them?

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Precursors in the old days took a fraction of the time to get money for.

For example, most were ~100g with grinding CoF giving 5g/hr, and event spam being around 3g/hr. 20 hours at best efficiency.

Currently they're 800g+, and even if you do SW or RIBA farms, you're looking at 20g/hr average, with maybe up to 30g with a bit of luck, and having a level 54 character to open bags on. That's 40 hours at comparatively exceptional efficiency, but if you were to do just various random bits and pieces it's astronomically different.

Coincidentally, this is also why we have so many different currencies that cannot be translated into gold now: to limit the degree to which the playerbase can generate gold and cause inflation, while pushing people who aren't doing the most gold-efficient things in the game out of the market.

If LI, or the LS3/4, or HoT/PoF currencies translated into gold, SW would once again set the prices for everything and everyone would be back there doing the same thing. It's the Diablo 3 problem; rather than letting people set specific item goals and learn the activities for those goals, instead players would just do the maximally efficient gold-generating activity and then use it to buy whatever, reducing the game to a gold treadmill. Even if you yourself didn't partake, a majority would, and prices and playtime requirements for items would reflect that.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Speaking of

Dropped a bunch of Elder Planks and Linseed Oil in tonight - is there a particular picklist of items that we're in need of, or just fill the blanks as we see them?

If you hover over an item you can see what it is used for - if it's for something you're interested in us having, drop it in if you can spare it. We have all the "big ticket" items now; the gathering nodes, the guild buffs and the basic WvW auras, so we're not doing a "push" for specific stuff.

• Options
    can I get an invite

Done!

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Precursors in the old days took a fraction of the time to get money for.

For example, most were ~100g with grinding CoF giving 5g/hr, and event spam being around 3g/hr. 20 hours at best efficiency.

Mine cost 555 gold and it took me 6 months of casual play to earn it. It was cheaper then, but not so much so that my strategy wouldn't still work.

Edit: If anything it would be easier now that gold is so plentiful. Back in the day we didn't have login rewards, or achievement rewards, or meta rewards, or even champion bags.

Kylindra on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That's for a gen 1 legendary though so making the finished product also requires old world map completion which not everyone likes. I went for a HoT legendary mostly because it avoided a long time spent on map completion and preferred getting the materials doing HoT metas and buying a bunch with gold from fractals.

It may take longer to get a gen 2 precursor but a lot of people find the process of finishing the legendary better than for gen 1s. Really depends on what you like and don't like doing in the game.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    My nearly year-long burnout break was because I got fucking tired of dealing with my HoT Legendary, having to do a fuckton of content I didn't give a shit about for it.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    My nearly year-long burnout break was because I got fucking tired of dealing with my HoT Legendary, having to do a fuckton of content I didn't give a shit about for it.

Well you also happened to choose one of the worse ones for that. The design of the precursor steps generally improved as time went on. H.O.P.E. did not get to benefit from that.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SutibunRi.5032
    Can I get an invite too?

• Options
    can I get an invite

Looks like someone already got you. Welcome! Make sure you check out the OP for useful guild info and game info.
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    SutibunRi.5032
    Can I get an invite too?

Sent! Welcome back!

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    I had to unfollow the GW2 twitter account. Too much fluff. All I care about is patch notes and sale alerts. Are there alternate accounts anybody follows?

• Options
    Perrsun wrote: »
    I had to unfollow the GW2 twitter account. Too much fluff. All I care about is patch notes and sale alerts. Are there alternate accounts anybody follows?

bookmark this thread! :)

• Options
    MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    that_shaman runs a bot https://twitter.com/GW2Version which posts when the game is patched, with a link to the patch forum.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    that_shaman runs a bot https://twitter.com/GW2Version which posts when the game is patched, with a link to the patch forum.

That’s pretty much exactly what I needed. Thank you.

I guess I’ve just hit a point where I still like playing the game, but I don’t care at all about their art streams, or self promotion, or... or the community? It feels a bit much to say that, but it’s kind of where I’m getting to. I don’t want to watch people draw their characters or gush over how much they like the newest skins or any of that. I just want to play the game every once in a while and group up with chill people like NICE.

(And that’s not to say I don’t want to see people theorycrafting what the next story step might be... quite the opposite, I enjoy that stuff from the people here.)

I know game burnout is a thing, but is community burnout? Outside of this thread I don’t even feel like I was participating at all in the community, let alone enough to get burned out.

And yeah, spool, I guess I’m gonna be depending on the rest of you to tell me when there’s a sale or free thing in the store :P

Perrsun on
  • Options
    Hey @Kylindra , @ky13 or any other people with permission to do things with the Guild Hall -- we now have ALL the materials for the Guild Hall Decorations Merchant 3! If someone could pull the trigger on that, it'd be amazing.

• Options
    Hey @Kylindra , @ky13 or any other people with permission to do things with the Guild Hall -- we now have ALL the materials for the Guild Hall Decorations Merchant 3! If someone could pull the trigger on that, it'd be amazing.

Done! Enjoy, folks. :)

• Options
    So, after this Reddit post on how Magic Find affects identifying Unidentified Gear: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7kzy76/for_science_ab_testing_the_profit_impact_of_magic/

I decided to go do a Pawaladan/Mordant Crescent Great Hall run, followed by a Silverwastes run just for the Magic Find you get after killing the Vinewrath.

As a purely anecdotal addition to the above research... it's worth it. It's SUPER worth it. I got two named exotic drops (Jaws of Death and Handheld Disaster) and something like six other generic Exotics, plus a whole bunch of rares. So while I'm not the type to farm for gold all the time, I still think this may become my usual "I'm bored I'mma just do some metas!" party. Especially if it continues to help me fill out dropped weapon skins.