As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2017: Assignments now! Do the thing!

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    ABCDEFGH

IJKLMNOP

QRSTUVWX

YZ
    10? (Z=0)

P8
    A1
    L4
    Z0
    M5
    I1
    E5
    R2

81405152?

Converted to BASE
    LjM0

Converting the other hex to base
    SU5DSA==

So LjM0SU5DSA==?

I'm not sure how to interpret the alphabet clue. I need more time than we have I think.

Cut it into 5s. "buckets aren't even" @ArcSyn

ABCDE

FGHIJ

KLMNO

PQRST

UVWYX

Z

00 10 32 42 -> 2B in hex.

2 Binch?

@ArcticLancer

No you'd still have A at 0 with Z...

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    lXwXXi9.gif

So I received a bevy of emails this morning, but just now got to checking it because an impromptu family sickness left my wife and I cooking lunch + dinner for 15+ family & friends while also watching two wee ones so life has been pain but anyway PRESENTS:

xgyfb2fioyzd.png
    qsp04ztb1q7m.png
    g5n0c7dr9dfr.png
    i1pcc5ala89f.png

Holy gat dang @Elin this generosity! This is very much appreciated! And there's still more to come in the mail this week apparently! EXCITEMENT BUILDS!

Farangu on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Mobile overwrote my guesses.

The only words I know are

CINCH - men's clothing
    FINCH - old band / bird
    LINCH - British for "to beat"
    MINCH - sea channel near Scotland
    PINCH - to pinch someone, to grip between your fingers
    SINCH - something is simple
    WINCH - mechanism for pulling wire

I think LINCH is my guess because I pointed out "favourite" earlier.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Man, all the build-up on this secret message has me feeling we're going to end up with a "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" moment.

Which would be brilliant!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Farangu wrote: »
    lXwXXi9.gif

So I received a bevy of emails this morning, but just now got to checking it because an impromptu family sickness left my wife and I cooking lunch + dinner for 15+ family & friends while also watching two wee ones so life has been pain but anyway PRESENTS:
    xgyfb2fioyzd.png
    qsp04ztb1q7m.png
    g5n0c7dr9dfr.png
    i1pcc5ala89f.png

Holy gat dang @Elin this generosity! This is very much appreciated! And there's still more to come in the mail this week apparently! EXCITEMENT BUILDS!
    Damn those are some good games. Recommend picking up the soundtracks for all the Supergiant games at some point - they're kind of brilliant all on their own.

RE Puzzle Satan:
    I'll try not to disappoint. I still think people are going to be kicking themselves. :P It's officially Christmas here, but I'm going to bed, so you've still got a shot. <3

Merry Christmas in the meantime, friends. It is a blast to share with folks as fine as yourselves. Always~

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    lXwXXi9.gif

Hey wait... I haven't been home most of the weekend. Partner's family is in town and well, wants to do a lot of things. Anyway, I was on my way home on friday and saw some emails of the steam variety.

cgnyh0wd0kv7.jpg

It were santa!

With presents!

I've played DS2 on console but never got the DLC, and these others are all things I've had on my radar forever.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, the Santa threads are back! Yay!

@Jam Warrior, your second gift has arrived! Thank you once again!

o59vru284paz.jpg

I'm a fan of lego, and a fan of superheroes, so I applaud your accuracy to tag two birds with one stone!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    lXwXXi9.gif

Hey wait... I haven't been home most of the weekend. Partner's family is in town and well, wants to do a lot of things. Anyway, I was on my way home on friday and saw some emails of the steam variety.

cgnyh0wd0kv7.jpg

It were santa!

With presents!

I've played DS2 on console but never got the DLC, and these others are all things I've had on my radar forever.

I'm glad you like them! I raided your wishlist :biggrin:

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    WIckedkarmaWIckedkarma AustinRegistered User regular
    lXwXXi9.gif

@Mace1370 HOOKED IT UP BIG TIME!

On top of the amazing colored pencils I was also gifted with several games I have been wanting to play!
    vvp2esroeq9a.jpg

Thank you SOO MUCH for the awesome gifts!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    An explanation is owed.

Foreword: The puzzle was, if I'm honest, a bit haphazard. I knew parts I wanted to use, but hadn't built the whole thing out nicely, so in the beginning it wasn't really fair. I knew I could build out the bits you'd need with hints, but I would still have liked to have done better. I had figured that, at the very least, it would give you something to mull over and keep you involved while I played a bit of cat and mouse. Basically, even though the puzzle wasn't what I wanted it to be, I figured I could make it memorable; you'll probably remember who your second Santa was, mostly because he was a sadistic asshole. ;P
    Issue number two is steam itself. I hadn't known the full extent to which it had been gutted for sending games, which made the whole thing less than ideal since I had to manually monitor the process and solution. Not ideal, and something I'm even now still working around. Alas ...

So the solution and why I think you guys will probably still kick yourselves a bit ...
    You had II and III fine - INCH was indeed 4/5 letters correct. Where you were off the mark on I was dividing the letters into consonants and vowels. Doing so would have left you with 01000110, which is 46. Then converting all 5 original hex values to ascii, you would be left with F.

Now truthfully I had never intended to leave you out in the cold whether you solved the puzzle or not, because your reward is a copy of What Remains of Edith Finch, my absolutely unrivaled game of the year, and there's no frigging way I'm denying you this little bulb of intense feels. Let this be another PSA on my part because this game deserves your attention. It's 2 hours of the finest imagination and storytelling you'll find in games today, and Janelle (my better half) will back me up on that - do yourselves a favor and just buy it. I mean, it's even on sale right now. Dooooo iiiiiiit ...
    A friend of mine in the US is waiting for you to accept his friend request so a copy can be sent to you, at which point your G&T secret Satan escapades will officially come to an end. But I hope you had fun with it, and that between the movie and the game you get to feel some legit feels while you cry into a bowl of veggie-noodle soup. ;P You were a good sport, and a wonderful guinea pig. I only hope whomever finds themselves in my clutches next year can be so involved and cooperative~ <3

Much Merriment, Arctic.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    lXwXXi9.gif
    nSqeHnB.jpg?1
    The Package actually arrived about a week ago but I decided to wait until Christmas this year to open it up. Also no pets or kids so my stuffed Rowlett will be playing the part.
    ohVLQaW.jpg?1
    Well shoot everything was already wrapped. Except for those delcious looking cookies! Thank you!
    a4Fa8sH.jpg?1
    *Sniff sniff* Ooh! Lemony!
    gsJSRmm.jpg?1
    Let's open the card first!
    p4PqYIP.jpg?1
    Transcription because of poor photo:

@darunia106

I hope you enjoy your gifts this year! You were a fun Santee to -stalk- -follow- get gift ideas for!Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

@urahonky

Aw thank you!

Let's crack open gift #1
    Clq1xJ6.jpg?1
    IT'S YA BOY! Heck yeah love that Daruk guy!

Gift #2
    4lZCEDb.jpg?1
    Awesome there's tons of games I want on the Switch and this will help me get them! Thank you so much!

and Gift #3 is...
    JstbcGy.jpg?1
    A strange looking box with an interesting design on it? Displate? Even Rowlett is intrigued by this mystery.
    VZSy2q3.jpg?1
    It a metal poster with a really cool Zelda graphic on it! Thanks a bunch!

Again thank you to @urahonky for these gifts!

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    lXwXXi9.gif

@Mace1370 HOOKED IT UP BIG TIME!

On top of the amazing colored pencils I was also gifted with several games I have been wanting to play!
    vvp2esroeq9a.jpg

Thank you SOO MUCH for the awesome gifts!

You are very welcome, Merry Christmas!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Ah, consonants and vowels...

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well shit, we were close.

• Options
    High five @ArcSyn . And others who helped. We did good. I've accepted the friend invite @ArcticLancer Thank you for the fun, albeit frustrating as hell puzzle. I enjoyed it, and your other gifts as well! I regifted the shelves to the pile of stuff I gave to my dad and he's going to put them to use immediately. So thank you! Smashing success, Satan.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I always love how each year there's three groups of people in the secret Santa thread: I enjoy puzzles, I make puzzles, and please don't ever send me anything ever that isn't just clear understandable text because I don't ever want to face one of these terrible things. :biggrin:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Well shit, we were close.

Yeah, like, I was at a point where I'd blanked on how to help you guys make that connection without outright spilling it. In its own way it was an interesting puzzle for me to figure out. :P

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »
    lXwXXi9.gif
    nSqeHnB.jpg?1
    The Package actually arrived about a week ago but I decided to wait until Christmas this year to open it up. Also no pets or kids so my stuffed Rowlett will be playing the part.
    ohVLQaW.jpg?1
    Well shoot everything was already wrapped. Except for those delcious looking cookies! Thank you!
    a4Fa8sH.jpg?1
    gsJSRmm.jpg?1
    p4PqYIP.jpg?1

@darunia106

I hope you enjoy your gifts this year! You were a fun Santee to -stalk- -follow- get gift ideas for!Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

@urahonky

Aw thank you!

Let's crack open gift #1
    Clq1xJ6.jpg?1

Gift #2
    4lZCEDb.jpg?1
    Awesome there's tons of games I want on the Switch and this will help me get them! Thank you so much!

and Gift #3 is...
    JstbcGy.jpg?1
    A strange looking box with an interesting design on it? Displate? Even Rowlett is intrigued by this mystery.
    VZSy2q3.jpg?1

Glad you liked them! The cookies are pizzelles, made with anise oil. There's about a 50% chance that you will love them or hate them! Hope you were the former haha.

The displate was a risky gift. I'm never really sure if anyone wants to put gaming related stuff on their walls like I do, but the art was too good to pass up.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    When the last two parts made Inch in hex, my gut said Grinch. But converting Palzmier to binary is the letter N.

I can categorically say I have no part in Secret Santa :biggrin: I'm a giant scrooge this year.

Actually that's not really true, I didn't take part because I bought my wife a flight to New York and tickets to five Broadway shows, and my daughter a new bed which Santa managed to put up on Xmas eve whilst she slept in our room.

The added pressure of trying to do my best with a forumer was too much for this tiny grinch heart this year.

Been super fun reading through this thread though.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    darunia106 wrote: »
    lXwXXi9.gif
    nSqeHnB.jpg?1
    ohVLQaW.jpg?1
    a4Fa8sH.jpg?1
    gsJSRmm.jpg?1
    p4PqYIP.jpg?1

@darunia106

@urahonky

Aw thank you!

Let's crack open gift #1
    Clq1xJ6.jpg?1

Gift #2
    4lZCEDb.jpg?1

and Gift #3 is...
    JstbcGy.jpg?1
    VZSy2q3.jpg?1

Glad you liked them! The cookies are pizzelles, made with anise oil. There's about a 50% chance that you will love them or hate them! Hope you were the former haha.

The displate was a risky gift. I'm never really sure if anyone wants to put gaming related stuff on their walls like I do, but the art was too good to pass up.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Pizzelles are AWESOME. I'd never had them until my wife introduced me to them via her family. We now own a Pizzelle iron and make them every year. :)

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    They are my favorite cookie, especially around this time of year. I absolutely hate black licorice but I can devour a bag of pizzelles without thinking about it.

• Options
    A heads up: I still don't know who my Santa is! You gifted me some awesome headphones but I haven't heard a peep since!

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    A heads up: I still don't know who my Santa is! You gifted me some awesome headphones but I haven't heard a peep since!

Did you try taking the headphones off? They might be soundproof.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Did you try taking the headphones off? They might be soundproof.

...You win this round Dover.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Okay I now feel like the most spoiled person ever. The tracking number revealed that the box did arrive and luckily girlfriend @wafflesmagee was on hand to intercept so the packages were not stolen like many have been off our porch.
    4 of these boxes have "Don't open until Christmas" on them and though I dearly want to open these I WILL ABIDE.

ahCZabF.jpg?1

But...one box doesn't say that! Can I open that one?
    iQw7pOu.jpg?3

I have not peeked at anything except the snowflake cards which offer some hints and also "Don't open until christmas" notes.

SANTA YOU'RE AMAZING. Work week was rough so this was an absolutely amazing surprise without even mentioning the ridiculously amazing last gift. Seriously I am stunned yet again and I haven't even opened anything.

@lwt1973
    Gifts opened! (One was something else so ignore that one!)
    In addition to this madness from last time:
    W6mZRgg.jpg?1
    Santa lwt1973 also sent

oWtH4sd.jpg
    It's the Destiny crew! I love it! They are now hanging out with my amiibo and other pop figures.

And to top it off:

jOCocyA.jpg
    The king of thieves himself in all his glory.

Thank you so much lwt1973! This was really really awesome and made my holidays a lot cheerier!

• Options
    dalith14dalith14 Registered User regular
    I will post pictures tomorrow but wanted to confirm that I did recieve all gifts, although no idea who my santa is unless I missed a note (My kid tore through the boxes)

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    lXwXXi9.gif

@Elin has struck again, as promised:

Some kind words greeted me inside the box:

lcPhAuAl.jpg

LEbIB3el.jpg

And further inside the box aaaaaAAAAAH!

DBjWcmGl.jpg

sHWorMql.jpg

I LOVED SPACE AS A KID. I GET TO SHARE THAT WITH MY KIDS NOW OH GERSH OH JEEZE!

A thousand thank you's! I don't know what stalking you did that led you to make that guess but you absolutely nailed it.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    A thousand thank you's! I don't know what stalking you did that led you to make that guess but you absolutely nailed it.

Merry Christmas! I hope you get many happy bonding hours

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Sorry for the delay, stuff got a bit hectic over here and the post kinda slipped my mind. Got a bit roughed up by the trip, but second strike has hit with more reading!

ctjw757jqyui.jpg

Thanks, Santa!

• Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    this santa knows nothing about going headphones. nosireee. nothing at all.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    NessticleNessticle Registered User regular
    Hi Santee, my packages were sent in pieces so it shows you received 1-4 by the end of the week. I hope you enjoy!

"I must try to come to a deeper understanding of this trait called 'courage.'" -Apple Kid Earthbound
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Just letting my Santa know that I got a gift, but the note said that more is coming. So I'm going to wait until everything has come to make a full post.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Working on a gift wall, anyone know much about tables? Think the current wall in the op (which I'm working on) will work overall, but I'd like to neaten it up slightly. I guess I can just do lines instead of a table.

Also if you've received a gift, please make a post soon.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Doing lines, eh?

I figure you could just use some sort of spreadsheet? Maybe an openly viewable, editable only by you Google Doc, if we need something that won't just disappear forever?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Maguano wrote: »
    this santa knows nothing about going headphones. nosireee. nothing at all.

@Maguano if it was you thank you so much! They have been amazing in my workout routine. So much better than my cheap ones. I really, really appreciate it!

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    lXwXXi9.gif
    I have been Santa'd by @vegeta_666 via Steam.
    y5h2ep92polc.jpg
    Also, promises about further gifts, currently locked in postal hell.

Thanks Vegeta. These both look right up my alley. I look forward to playing them.

see317 on
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    see317 wrote: »
    https://i.imgur.com/lXwXXi9.gif
    I have been Santa'd by @vegeta_666 via Steam.
    y5h2ep92polc.jpg
    Also, promises about further gifts, currently locked in postal hell.

Thanks Vegeta. These both look right up my alley. I look forward to playing these.

No problem! Bad weather has made things tricky but I saw your stuff would be arriving late so I wanted to get you something in the interim! Your most played games are very similar to my own so I thought two underrated gems were up your alley!

Here is my own Gift Get post as well very overdue! I’m posted by from mobile so no GIF but:
    JNE2L5w.jpg

Thank you @SniperGuy! I am really looking forward to digging into the book and I too am still on Uncharted 3! I will speed through it though to check out 4, it’s been on my list for too long. Overwatch is always a classic too!

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Aww snap, what I assume is the biggest and final piece of my Secret Santa gift arrived today! I will post photos later, of course, but it arrived, @anoffday!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    How fortuitous. Someone posted about Alpha Protocol so I showed up.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    lXwXXi9.gif
    Also received some Steam gifts today from presumably my Santa @anoffday!

To follow up on this from the other day (the Steam games were Monkey Island 2, which I have never played, and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, which I believe is....the 2nd one in that series? The Longest Journey, Dreamfall: TLJ, and then that episodic one that came out recently), I received physical goodies from my Santa @anoffday!

yW3ZakZ.jpg

He got me an SNES Classic! Not the beer, though. That was from my cousin for Christmas. Beer for scale.

This is definitely one of those things I didn't feel like scouring stores and the internet to buy, but was very interested in, especially since I never owned an SNES growing up (SNES owning cousins whose house I visited a bunch FTW)

It's so tiny! I'm definitely considering throwing it in a bag and bringing it with me places.

steam_sig.png