Options

King Gizzard and the Lizard [chat]

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Uplink was pretty fun

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ready Player One feels and looks to me like a movie generated by data analytics for 18-35 year old men.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    I honestly admit I don’t understand the appeal of cyberpunk

are you talking about the game or the genre

the genre is just near-future sci-fi with a focus on the imminent dystopic consequences of our social, technological, and environmental progress/failures. more sober takes are very interesting and pointed; i think we'll see a lot of climate-change-related cyberpunk soon. the more gonzo stuff is just fun because it lets you have high tech gadgets while preserving an atmosphere of familiar plausibility

Genre, especially with high-fantasy elements

that's really just Shadowrun. most cyberpunk is just sci-fi.

there are a lot of stubborn, goofy genre tropes, like a VR-style hacking world and so on, but it's a wonderful genre because it has been tackling very real problems and imagining what a society might look like in their wake--the centralization of physical, technological and economic power in corporate entities (and the resulting need for decentralization of technological power in order to resist when technology has so thoroughly skewed the power balance between social classes), the total lack of political will to address environmental problems early enough, etc

i'm not sure what isn't appealing about it aside from those genre tropes. it's good for the same reason that dystopian fiction is good.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm the same generation and Ready Player One looks..insulting at best

Remember I'm normally the king of brain dead spectacle films.

I'm just saying

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    Everything about Ready Player One makes my eyes roll

especially the author of the book

Death of the Author!

*grabs pitchfork*

Let’s go!

no, no, if you kill the author of Ready Player One, you become the author of Ready Player One

Oh shit

Just like Galaga

who did you murder recently, Atomika?

It’s hard to keep up

I really need to write it all down somewhere

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Ready Player One was written for my gen mainly. I will watch the movie and most likely enjoy it because Spielberg does good work. I liked the book too. Not life changing prose but enjoyable weekend read.

Ready Player One is not nearly as bad as people like to imply. I think the nerdy stuff in it and it's sudden popularity inspired a lot of knee jerk hate.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Ready Player One feels and looks to me like a movie generated by data analytics for 18-35 year old men.

The fan service for the book reaches into men in the early 40s I would say as well.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    Okay but Shadowrun is an incredibly goofy setting and Bright is supposed to be a less good riff on it? I mean what is the sales pitch here at all.
    fake gamer guy desc doesn't even like shadowrun confirmed

shadowrun is a bad, corny setting full stop
    rifts is also a bad setting that people try to convince themselves was fun

Rifts was so bad.

"Interdimensional invasion postapocalypse" is kind of an amazing pulpy setting concept, but they crammed in way too much stuff. That was kind of the point, but a more coherent approach would have been good.

Rifts was the star citizen of P&P, only difference is they released every one of their awful feature creep "We want this because sure" stuff. I did like the wormwood setting stuff.

my sister's husband tried to sell me on Star Citizen yesterday

is my sister going to die penniless because her spouse spent all their money on nonexistent space ships y/y

Well he also has those bit coins he's making great returns on.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Few 18 year olds are going to have the nostalgia for the things Ready Player One nostalgias all over. That is more Gen Xers and older millenials

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

I'm just saying

are you sure it's not just that the hate boner for the author hasn't tainted your outlook?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

the genre is just near-future sci-fi with a focus on the imminent dystopic consequences of our social, technological, and environmental progress/failures. more sober takes are very interesting and pointed; i think we'll see a lot of climate-change-related cyberpunk soon. the more gonzo stuff is just fun because it lets you have high tech gadgets while preserving an atmosphere of familiar plausibility

The vast majority of cyberpunk does not have fantasy elements. Shadowrun is explicitly a setting that mashes up fantasy elements with cyberpunk (and later, transhumanism) elements in the setting.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

I'm just saying

are you sure it's not just that the hate boner for the author hasn't tainted your outlook?

Nah I was turned off way before I learned about his creepiness

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Part of the problem of cyberpunk as a genre is that it's something that is firmly rooted in the 80s, when the stuff we imagined about computers were merely speculative and not, you know, frickin' reality. It's becoming more "alternate history" and less "speculative science-fiction" with each passing year. The themes are still relevant, such as man's inhumanity to man, the encroachment of technology on the integrity of the human mind and body, increased class disparity, but these are things that are also seriously discussed in the present.

I think the few that hold up have the disconnect of human self and the body as some of themes. Isolation in an increasingly virtually connected society also works.

Again Ghost in the Shell still probably holds up the best.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    the star citizen fans keep telling me how far it's coming along but every time I download and play it it's the same janky 10 frame per second mess with garbage controls

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    At this point even if Star Citizen comes out and is good it's already doomed just because it's reputation has been eroding so heavily and consistently.

• Options

There seems to be a notable enthusiasm gap for the cyber between GenXers and Millennials, in general

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

It's Star Trek for pessimists.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    all I want out of star citizen is the ability to be a space pirate who is also a lesbian

that's all I want out of any game, really

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Part of the problem of cyberpunk as a genre is that it's something that is firmly rooted in the 80s, when the stuff we imagined about computers were merely speculative and not, you know, frickin' reality. It's becoming more "alternate history" and less "speculative science-fiction" with each passing year. The themes are still relevant, such as man's inhumanity to man, the encroachment of technology on the integrity of the human mind and body, increased class disparity, but these are things that are also seriously discussed in the present.

I think the few that hold up have the disconnect of human self and the body as some of themes. Isolation in an increasingly virtually connected society also works.

Again Ghost in the Shell still probably holds up the best.

Deus Ex has also done a pretty good job of being a cyberpunk setting that still seems moderately sensible.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

The fan service for the book reaches into men in the early 40s I would say as well.

tbh I thought it was weird how stuck it was on 80's video game cruft for how recently published it is

the arcade age was not video gaming's golden age!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

that's really just Shadowrun. most cyberpunk is just sci-fi.

there are a lot of stubborn, goofy genre tropes, like a VR-style hacking world and so on, but it's a wonderful genre because it has been tackling very real problems and imagining what a society might look like in their wake--the centralization of physical, technological and economic power in corporate entities (and the resulting need for decentralization of technological power in order to resist when technology has so thoroughly skewed the power balance between social classes), the total lack of political will to address environmental problems early enough, etc

i'm not sure what isn't appealing about it aside from those genre tropes. it's good for the same reason that dystopian fiction is good.
    Right now, what isn't appealing about it is that it's WAY TOO REAL. :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Cyberpunk as a genre just has great atmosphere to me. Dingy dimly lit apartments with computers and wires spread all over

My kind of place.

Neco on
  • Options

oh that's definitely true, but i think we'll see that shift, though it may become less distinct as cyberpunk qua cyberpunk

intensely time-bounded genres do tend to be recuperated after a period of nostalgia. we're already seeing millennials writing more and more speculative near-future sci-fi, accommodating more recent technology.

but i mean, the gap between 2018 reality and cyberpunk fiction is still much, much narrower than 80s reality and cyberpunk fiction. soon it will just be "contemporary fiction."

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    At this point even if Star Citizen comes out and is good it's already doomed just because it's reputation has been eroding so heavily and consistently.

People don't like to feel like they're getting ripped off or that a dev is being shady. That's why Gearbox Games get a permanent -10 to their review. Borderlands 3 would have to be perfect to even get an A rating

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Younger millenials are going to be much more about Simpsons and Spongebob nostalgia.

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Few 18 year olds are going to have the nostalgia for the things Ready Player One nostalgias all over. That is more Gen Xers and older millenials

I was going to originally write 25-35. But I went with the more standard demographic when it comes to TV and advertising stuff.

The movie is very much reaching into that 90's vein of nostalgia with a lot of the characters you see along with a much more modern vein aka Tracer and such. The book is a few years old but again the same demographic at the time for its original release. So let's say 25-40ish.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Okay but I don’t generally care for dystopian fiction, really.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    We are back to Angelina Jolie and Hackers again.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

@Atomika

So the high fantasy stuff is dumbbbbbbb, and when I play shadowrun I basically only play as humans and have never even read the magic rules

But cyberpunk is *cool*

Why is it cool, not really in order of importance:
    1. Crime/heist theme--criminal stuff is cool, and often in shadowrun it's semi-ethical cause you have the little guys running against the big corporations
    2. bodymod--the concept of getting chromed out is too neat
    3. drugs--drugs are cool
    4. urban aesthetic--close streets, crowded nightclubs, flashing neon, all very pleasing
    5. hacking/decking--obviously hacking is cool, I mean I saw the matrix when I was maybe 10-11 and it pretty much defined cool for me forever

It's difficult to tease apart what makes something cool, but I believe these are the main elements.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options

Oh

Yeah

That’ll do it then

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »

tbh I thought it was weird how stuck it was on 80's video game cruft for how recently published it is

the arcade age was not video gaming's golden age!

Heh yes it was :) :P I mean by most historical definitions.

• Options
    Also, Bright is not cyberpunk. It's modern day with Fantasy elements.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    P10 wrote: »
    you know what setting i want to see exploited
    paranoia
    make a paranoia crpg
    itd be good i promise

You could make that work because reloading is basically getting a new clone. It could be meta-amusing.

Unfortunately you can't play Paranoia anymore because nobody gets the cold war jokes and the ominous tone rings like post-ironic communist memeing now, rather than it being a black comedic take on the actual communist police states that existed when the game was written.
    um thats why you just explain the communist memeing the same way fallout does as a relic of the anxieties of friend computer's creators while still having plenty of material to work with in regards to police state since u kno FRIEND COMPUTER

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Younger millenials are going to be much more about Simpsons and Spongebob nostalgia.

"the simpsons really went downhill after season 32. 'who billed mr. burns' was when it jumped the shark. he could have left the restaurant at any time, it didn't make sense."

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I agree on Spongebob but no one born after 1999 watches The Simpsons.

• Options
    all I want out of star citizen is the ability to be a space pirate who is also a lesbian

that's all I want out of any game, really

Here gotdang here

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

Atomika

So the high fantasy stuff is dumbbbbbbb, and when I play shadowrun I basically only play as humans and have never even read the magic rules

But cyberpunk is *cool*

Why is it cool, not really in order of importance:
    1. Crime/heist theme--criminal stuff is cool, and often in shadowrun it's semi-ethical cause you have the little guys running against the big corporations
    2. bodymod--the concept of getting chromed out is too neat
    3. drugs--drugs are cool
    4. urban aesthetic--close streets, crowded nightclubs, flashing neon, all very pleasing
    5. hacking/decking--obviously hacking is cool, I mean I saw the matrix when I was maybe 10-11 and it pretty much defined cool for me forever

It's difficult to tease apart what makes something cool, but I believe these are the main elements.

I ageee with everything in this post

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Orcs are cool hacking is cool
    therefore hacking orcs is the coolest

• Options

My mom and I are big dystopian fiction folks. But we have found it hard to read it recently due to current events.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    frond computer

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
This discussion has been closed.