As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Banksy And Steve Jobs, Together Again

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Is there still a Silence inside the TARDIS?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

He lives with that one lost Cyberman and a room full of crated up K9s.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It must be weird to film the show.

You have to go into a booth now and then.

Also, you have to skip the TARDIS interior scenes when you are on location.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    It must be weird to film anything. It breaks my fragile little mind to know that TV and film is not made sequentially. Makes you kind of appreciate how hard this stuff actually is when you take into consideration the logistics involved in having to film a coherent narrative like that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options

When did a Cyberman get lost in the TARDIS?

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Kiss your TARDIS goodbye!
    https://youtu.be/kHtQW0xdQbE

Capaldi's TARDIS is no more.

Sad reacts only

If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be from Earth shock. But when I watched it recently the Cyberman who did go further into the TARDIS came back pretty soon after and was killed along with the rest of them.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Sad reacts only

If I remember correctly, it's supposed to be from Earth shock. But when I watched it recently the Cyberman who did go further into the TARDIS came back pretty soon after and was killed along with the rest of them.

I think it is Attack of the Cyberman but I can't find episode 3 of that story online to check. Somewhere they show several Cybermen enter and one less leave.

Also there is a London beat cop wandering around in there too I think. Also some Sontarans.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular

Sad reacts only

I think it is Attack of the Cyberman but I can't find episode 3 of that story online to check. Somewhere they show several Cybermen enter and one less leave.

Also there is a London beat cop wandering around in there too I think. Also some Sontarans.

I just had a rewatch of Attack and there's a stealth Cyberman there when the Cybermen first enter the TARDIS but it disappears after the first couple of scenes and is never seen to leave the TARDIS. It's just, like, stealthing around in there somewhere.
    It must be weird to film anything. It breaks my fragile little mind to know that TV and film is not made sequentially. Makes you kind of appreciate how hard this stuff actually is when you take into consideration the logistics involved in having to film a coherent narrative like that.

I only found out the other day how single camera filming works and that really broke my head.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Ugh they really went with that for Bill, REALLY?? Fucking lame.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    What do you mean?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I think undoing her fate so soon after would have been lamer. Who is a series of lasting consequences.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    What do you mean?

It's a trope
    lesbians are doomed to die to be together

I like to ART
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Doodmann wrote: »
    What do you mean?

It's a trope

I've never heard of this trope. Also, the Christmas Special never states when Bill died. Of course she died at some point; she's human, after all.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I mean historically being a companion is a bad long term decision, I don't know if it's totally fair to apply that trope.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure, bad endings or not, each and every Companion thought it was completely worth it.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    What do you mean?

It's a trope

She didn't die. She was just testimonied before she became part of the pilot. The OG Bill as far as we know is still out there with slightly damp hair.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Bill
    It is a mystery that she is the original Bill or not.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Bill
    no it is a philosophical question. Decidedly she is a copy, and the doctor calls her on it immediately, but like... she's close enough.

Sleep on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm confused. I only finished through series 10-12. Am I missing out on a second act?

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm confused. I only finished through series 10-12. Am I missing out on a second act?

What are you missing? Did you miss the Christmas Special that just happened?

You might want to check back and see if you watched the other specials.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    You're missing the Christmas Special it sounds like, Dood.

Bah, beated by an edit.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Capaldi's specials had Santa, a super hero, River Song, and the glass people.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »
    Bill
    no it is a philosophical question. Decidedly she is a copy, and the doctor calls her on it immediately, but like... she's close enough.
    The whole time watching this, I was reminded of the holograms in Red Dwarf and whether they count as a continuation of the original person or not. (Then it's made more complicated with the whole 'Which Rimmer is what who how' thing.)

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »
    Bill
    The whole time watching this, I was reminded of the holograms in Red Dwarf and whether they count as a continuation of the original person or not. (Then it's made more complicated with the whole 'Which Rimmer is what who how' thing.)
    I guess glass Bill is a Bill. I bet Pilot Bill is also still around.

• Options
    Bill
    Dimmer is aware he's a hologram double from jump. From his perspective he's not the original.

• Options
    Bill
    Dimmer is aware he's a hologram double from jump. From his perspective he's not the original.
    There's not so much of it in the show, but I seem to recall some discussion in the first novel around continuity of personhood.

With Rimmer, I meant there's the complication and lack of clarity over exactly which Rimmer we have now - he remembers both the Despair Squid (original Rimmer) and the nanobots eating away at Red Dwarf (rebooted Rimmer). Like, it's not a major thing, it just reminded me of it.

• Options
    First meeting with Bill.

https://youtu.be/YtjLeSm5O0E

• Options
    Billy Piper may have hinted Rose is coming back.

It would be interesting to see old companions react to the new Doctor.

Captain Jack would be a good choice.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but Rose is currently in some alternate dimension with the half-human Tennant Doctor, right?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but Rose is currently in some alternate dimension with the half-human Tennant Doctor, right?

Yes. It seems like a stretch, but she has dimension hopped before.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    She's doing Big Finish with Tennant, could be talking bout that?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Also, she appeared as a manifestation to the War Doctor (and Bill was reincarnated for the last Christmas Special like yesterday), so it's not a big leap if she wanted to come back that they could get her in. And with the exception of Eccleston, every Doctor has met another Doctor. Tennant and Smith with Hurt (and then every one at the end), Capaldi with the recast First Doctor, with no real prior knowledge of the meeting. Smith remembers the vortex to Tennant, and throws the fez in, but doesn't really remember anything beyond.

It's Who. The improbable happens all the time. The impossible takes a little longer.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I don't think 8 met any other Doctors.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    I don't think 8 met any other Doctors.
    I should have been more specific. I was more meaning the recent revival/continuation, since Billie Piper started her run. I don't have much knowledge of the previous run, beyond seeing a couple of Tom Baker episodes when I was young, and not really being into it. Couldn't tell you if any of the previous Doctors (the First being an exception due to the most recent episode) had done so.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The Three Doctors: 1, 2, 3
    The Five Doctors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    The Two Doctors: 2, 6
    The Trial of a Time Lord: 6, Valeyard
    Time Crash: 5, 10
    The Day of the Doctor: War, 10, 11
    Twice Upon a Time: 1, 12

Those are all the canonical multi-Doctor stories I can think of. So I think 7 and 8 are left out.

Possible additions to the list include Deep Breath (11 & 12 via phone call) and things like Dimensions in Time (3, 4, 5, 6, 7).

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but Rose is currently in some alternattge dimension with the half-human Tennant Doctor, right?

Specifically 9 says the reason he can't dimension hop is because the timelords are gone so uh good news!

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I mean technically, Day of the Doctor was all of them, if you count "being in the same place with all their Tardises" as meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e71KWwE5Fk

• Options
    I'm still annoyed that they had to "invent" the War Doctor. It should have been 9 in that role.

I get why it wasn't. But it should have been 9

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    As a one off event, I rather like the idea of a surprise secret lifetime. It does fit into place nicely, it's just a little unfortunate that the character of the War Doctor we get to see doesn't really justify his erasure. He seems no more monstrous than any other NuWho Doctor. He must have done some shit off screen, but even his Big Finish stories aren't much beyond the scope of a regular episode.

I think I'd have preferred McGann in Hurt's role over Ecclestone though. But really I love how it shook out, because John Hurt killed it.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    But Ecclestone's Doctor DID do some shit off screen. His whole season was about him getting over that and finding himself to be The Doctor again, not the time lord who killed his whole race. We didn't need the War Doctor who presumably did some shit, we already has 9 who told us that he did some shit.

If 10 was the one who forgives, and 11 the one who forgets... who was 9? Answer: The one we pretend doesn't exist anymore.

This discussion has been closed.