As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PC Build Thread] New graphics cards are outrageously expensive. News at 11.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    A question for any of the upgrade gurus if they're bored.

I'm very happy with my system (I've got an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, and it's a very reliable 2610p, 60hz machine). But I've never upgraded the CPU since I bought it 4 years ago, and I'm wondering what, if any, CPU upgrade options I have.

It's an Asus Z97-A. Probably the most reliable motherboard I've ever had, and it has an old (I assume) Intel LGA 1150 Socket. Currently I have a Intel Core i5 4670K (3.40GHz) inside it.

Obviously there aren't that many games were the CPU is a bottleneck, but they're out there. Is there anywhere I can go from here, or should I just go back to waiting however many years I can to settle on a new motherboard, and a new CPU socket.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'm very happy with my system (I've got an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW, and it's a very reliable 2610p, 60hz machine). But I've never upgraded the CPU since I bought it 4 years ago, and I'm wondering what, if any, CPU upgrade options I have.

It's an Asus Z97-A. Probably the most reliable motherboard I've ever had, and it has an old (I assume) Intel LGA 1150 Socket. Currently I have a Intel Core i5 4670K (3.40GHz) inside it.

Obviously there aren't that many games were the CPU is a bottleneck, but they're out there. Is there anywhere I can go from here, or should I just go back to waiting however many years I can to settle on a new motherboard, and a new CPU socket.

There is nowhere you can go from there. There is no reason to upgrade to another 1150 socket cpu. Technically you could go buy an old i7 or something, but it's not worth the money at this point (especially with the lesser performance impact of the spectre/meltdown mitigation patches on newer cpus vs the old 4000 series and older).

In any case, upgrading a system that is currently running all your games at a good frame rate seems a bit silly to me. I'd wait until there was a real reason to upgrade.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    LD50 wrote: »

There is nowhere you can go from there. There is no reason to upgrade to another 1150 socket cpu. Technically you could go buy an old i7 or something, but it's not worth the money at this point (especially with the lesser performance impact of the spectre/meltdown mitigation patches on newer cpus vs the old 4000 series and older).

In any case, upgrading a system that is currently running all your games at a good frame rate seems a bit silly to me. I'd wait until there was a real reason to upgrade.

There are a few unoptimized train wrecks (I'm looking at you Bethesda) that are CPU gluttons, but yes, I'm not going to buy an entirely new CPU just so I can attempt to spawn 60 Stormcloaks to fight 60 Imperial soldier and reenact the Battle of the Bastards in Whiterun.

Plus obviously I can't get better RAM (I could just double it to 32 GB, which probably isn't super necessary).

This is all fine by me. Not only do I not play as many PC games I used to, I have a deep dread of having to rebuild my system (I have an unhealthy number of different games and mods installed) which makes reformatting a sickening thought, much less doing a completely new rebuild. Though apparently we're getting closer to the day where you could just take your boot drive, cram it in a new PC and reinstall all the necessary drivers (thanks in part to Windows 10), and take your chances.

EDIT: Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten to consider that my LGA 1150, or the CPUs that fit into it into it predate the issue allegedly. My motherboard isn't among the listed affected on ASUS' website anyway. That's...oddly hilarious.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    3clipse wrote: »
    Can we just like, not take the patch?

There's nothing on my gaming PC that I would care about getting hacked or stolen, and I froze all my credit after the Equifax hack so stealing my identity won't do anyone a lick of good either.

And this is why we have so many zombie computers, folks.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My understanding was that this particular vulnerability just let them look at stuff on your computer, not actually input anything or take actions using the machine. Is that not correct?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    My understanding was that this particular vulnerability just let them look at stuff on your computer, not actually input anything or take actions using the machine. Is that not correct?

I don't think anybody in this thread will responsibly tell you that it's OK to just not take the patch. Whether you think it's worth the risk is entirely up to you.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

sure, they can read a username and password, *and then* take control of the PC.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I mean, I don't have a password on my home gaming machine, that's what the anti-malware stuff I have installed is for.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    If you don't want to patch then don't.

• Options

There are a few unoptimized train wrecks (I'm looking at you Bethesda) that are CPU gluttons, but yes, I'm not going to buy an entirely new CPU just so I can attempt to spawn 60 Stormcloaks to fight 60 Imperial soldier and reenact the Battle of the Bastards in Whiterun.

Plus obviously I can't get better RAM (I could just double it to 32 GB, which probably isn't super necessary).

This is all fine by me. Not only do I not play as many PC games I used to, I have a deep dread of having to rebuild my system (I have an unhealthy number of different games and mods installed) which makes reformatting a sickening thought, much less doing a completely new rebuild. Though apparently we're getting closer to the day where you could just take your boot drive, cram it in a new PC and reinstall all the necessary drivers (thanks in part to Windows 10), and take your chances.

EDIT: Oh wow, I'd completely forgotten to consider that my LGA 1150, or the CPUs that fit into it into it predate the issue allegedly. My motherboard isn't among the listed affected on ASUS' website anyway. That's...oddly hilarious.

Your cpu is affected, there just isn't a microcode update for 5th generation and younger processors.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

I mean, I don't have a password on my home gaming machine, that's what the anti-malware stuff I have installed is for.

Antivirus/malware can't really detect these attacks. It's not really your username or password getting stolen that I'd be worried about IMO, but things like your credit card information. These attacks released with a proof of concept javascript attack that read data out of another tab in firefox.

• Options

Your cpu is affected, there just isn't a microcode update for 5th generation and younger processors.

Oh, bummer.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

1) I still recommend you check the secondary market (/r/hardwareswap is the first place I'd look; before eBay). With some patience, you can likely find a i7 for a reasonable price. At the least, it will add 1-2 years of longevity. I have a similar build (I'm on Z87 with a non-K i5; motherboard I bought used), and I'm not seeing any major issues with games, either.

2) Crazy talk: my last major hardware upgrade, I went from a Q6600 Asus P5Q Deluxe to a i5 Haswell Asus Z87 and I didn't format my hard drive. I loaded the drivers and utils for the new board and went on my way.

If you're that overly concerned about things like mods, you can move the related folders to backup, then move them back after you install/update.

• Options
    Mugsley wrote: »

1) I still recommend you check the secondary market (/r/hardwareswap is the first place I'd look; before eBay). With some patience, you can likely find a i7 for a reasonable price. At the least, it will add 1-2 years of longevity. I have a similar build (I'm on Z87 with a non-K i5; motherboard I bought used), and I'm not seeing any major issues with games, either.

2) Crazy talk: my last major hardware upgrade, I went from a Q6600 Asus P5Q Deluxe to a i5 Haswell Asus Z87 and I didn't format my hard drive. I loaded the drivers and utils for the new board and went on my way.

If you're that overly concerned about things like mods, you can move the related folders to backup, then move them back after you install/update.

Oh, I've done the mod restoration before (I did it when I moved from my GTX 470 SLI setup to a completely new motherboard/CPU/etc.). It's just a gigantic pain in the ass, as would be parsing which of the literal dozens of old games. Though yes, with Windows 10 that actually is kind of a viable option, even if one a lot of people would discourage being taken. Assuming it doesn't shit the bed like it did before I had to send it in to get fixed, I fully intend to use my Samsung 850 Pro on my next setup because half a terabyte is still a lot of SSD space.

More on topic, would an i7--particularly a used i7--really be a noticeable improvement? Conventional logic says that it's not useful for anyone not doing heavy rendering, processing, etc., and I know that might be an outdated mindset, but as I mentioned I really don't have that many CPU-dependent games. It was more the fact that it is is a 4 year old CPU. Do contemporary, generally GPU-focused games really benefit all that much from an i7?

(Also I'd need to learn how to use Reddit properly, haha.)

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm thinking the patches to fix the vulnerabilities are finally going to be the nail in the coffin for Sandy Bridge CPUs. Right now, pre-patch, they're barely bottlenecking current GPU's, but post-patch they'll likely see noticeable performance loss.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    So I've been having this issue lately where my second monitors wallpaper always vanishes. I'm thinking it's somehow related to a power setting I fiddled with a ways back, but I can't find it again.
    There was some setting about monitor detection or something. It was nice when my second monitor was my arcade cabinet. If I turned off my main display it would default the main monitor and sound to my cabinet.
    It's not longer set up that way and I'm thinking that's why I lose my wallpaper every time the computer goes to sleep.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm thinking the patches to fix the vulnerabilities are finally going to be the nail in the coffin for Sandy Bridge CPUs. Right now, pre-patch, they're barely bottlenecking current GPU's, but post-patch they'll likely see noticeable performance loss.

I'm watching all of this closely as I have an i5-3570k at home.

• Options
    So I've been having this issue lately where my second monitors wallpaper always vanishes. I'm thinking it's somehow related to a power setting I fiddled with a ways back, but I can't find it again.
    There was some setting about monitor detection or something. It was nice when my second monitor was my arcade cabinet. If I turned off my main display it would default the main monitor and sound to my cabinet.
    It's not longer set up that way and I'm thinking that's why I lose my wallpaper every time the computer goes to sleep.

You should have an option in the monitor's menu to revert to stock/default settings. Start there.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I understand the thinking. It's a bit hard for me to parse personally because the vids I've seen the past 3-4months are proving that the 2600k is just now (then?) bottlenecking. I would expect a bit more headroom with the 3xxx series. Though, I guess your point is that the patch is going to basically eliminate the expected headroom.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So is the irony here that the reduced performance, due to the security vulnerability patch, is going to increase sales for Intel and AMD; because gamers are going to upgrade sooner than they planned?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So is the irony here that the reduced performance, due to the security vulnerability patch, is going to increase sales for Intel and AMD; because gamers are going to upgrade sooner than they planned?

If the gaming community were any more reactionary, they would all own Jump to Conclusions mats.

• Options

Only if you assume that a) performance hits will be massive (many look to be small) and b) there will never be a patch down the line that maintains security but increases performance with more optimized fixes of the issue.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

if anything, i'd wonder if everyone is going to hold off buying a new CPU until the fundamental flaws are worked out. which i realize means a few years while CPU designs get overhauled, but still...

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

You should have an option in the monitor's menu to revert to stock/default settings. Start there.
    This was either in Windows or Nvidia panel. Not the hardware itself.

Only if you assume that a) performance hits will be massive (many look to be small) and b) there will never be a patch down the line that maintains security but increases performance with more optimized fixes of the issue.
    I haven't followed much, but someone posted a benchmark before and after the patch for my CPU (4790k) and the performance change seemed almost nonexistent. I've never overclocked it so really I should come out fine since I could grab back the little performance lost if I really need to.
    I'll see if I can find the benchmarks. I saved them but can't find it at the moment.

Edit: Here it is

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I understand the thinking. It's a bit hard for me to parse personally because the vids I've seen the past 3-4months are proving that the 2600k is just now (then?) bottlenecking. I would expect a bit more headroom with the 3xxx series. Though, I guess your point is that the patch is going to basically eliminate the expected headroom.

Yes, exactly. The 3570k is currently doing alright (especially since I recently overclocked it). The performance hit may be too large to absorb.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    As someone who can't afford an upgrade right now, I certainly hope not. :bigfrown:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Except that in reality, the real world performance losses for normal desktop applications are looking to be minuscule. Many so small that they sit well within the margin of error. Outside of the server space the entire performance equation has been much ado about very little. There is almost no reason the average desktop user shouldn't patch at this point.

I know, people going nuclear over a nothingburger on the internet, shocking.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The hits are harder on older hardware though and I haven't seen what it does to the 2600k yet, but this has me thinking about moving up my upgrade timeline.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Except that in reality, the real world performance losses for normal desktop applications are looking to be minuscule. Many so small that they sit well within the margin of error. Outside of the server space the entire performance equation has been much ado about very little. There is almost no reason the average desktop user shouldn't patch at this point.

I know, people going nuclear over a nothingburger on the internet, shocking.

Microsofot's own official statements say otherwise. They themselves are saying double digit perfomance decreases of haswell and older running Windows 7 ans 8.x. And "noticable" performance decreases on Win10 on those platforms.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I would imagine that's because of lack of PCID on older CPU's. Still, even on CPU's without PCID, the numbers I'm seeing tossed around are like 5%, 7%, 4%, stuff like that. It's not the oh my god doom 30% we were hearing early on.

Obviously we'll know a lot more when the final embargo's lift (which I actually thought was yesterday, the 9th?)

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    The hits are harder on older hardware though and I haven't seen what it does to the 2600k yet, but this has me thinking about moving up my upgrade timeline.

My Ark/CoD dedicated server is still running a 2600k...as soon as I upgrade my main desktop, I'll be moving its current Haswell over to my dedicated server system. This whole brouhaha has me wanting to push up my upgrade timeline, that's for sure.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I would imagine that's because of lack of PCID on older CPU's. Still, even on CPU's without PCID, the numbers I'm seeing tossed around are like 5%, 7%, 4%, stuff like that. It's not the oh my god doom 30% we were hearing early on.

Obviously we'll know a lot more when the final embargo's lift (which I actually thought was yesterday, the 9th?)

Well we did see some 100% on AMD processes. ;)

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    and actually, I just remembered this. I know a guy on a 3570 and a GTX 1060 6GB. He told me yesterday that his average framerates on HOTS went from 80 to 50 after applying the patch.

That seems.... significant.

• Options
    I seem to having the worst luck this week with computers. Last night while connecting my TV to the second HDMI port of my HTPC I accidentally flipped the power switch on the power strip. The sudden power loss borked the SSD and now it's not showing up in the bios. This is at least the third or fourth time this has happened to this SSD, so I'm familiar with power cycling it to get it working again. Two power cycles last night didn't get it working. Here's hoping a third is enough to get it working.

What a wonderful start to 2018!

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    There's someone near me selling their used GTX 980 for $200. It doesn't look like it came from a (serious, at least) mining operation and the listing says that it was just replaced as part of an upgrade.

A 980 would be a decent step up in performance from my 1050 Ti, and $200 is pretty cheap for a used 980. The 1050 Ti is a little price inflated right now too, so I should be able to sell it on eBay or CL for most/all of the cost of the 980.

Like, at $200 I feel like it's worth it, but I'm hesitant to buy a used GPU.

• Options
    Hurray :D . HTPC is alive after leaving it off overnight and all day. The new bios chip arrived from EVGA, was easily installed, and my computer is working again.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »
    There's someone near me selling their used GTX 980 for $200. It doesn't look like it came from a (serious, at least) mining operation and the listing says that it was just replaced as part of an upgrade.

A 980 would be a decent step up in performance from my 1050 Ti, and $200 is pretty cheap for a used 980. The 1050 Ti is a little price inflated right now too, so I should be able to sell it on eBay or CL for most/all of the cost of the 980.

You know what you're getting into and the 980 still has a bunch of life. I say go for it.

• Options
    jgeis wrote: »

Make sure the warranty is still good, and get a digital copy of the receipt from when it was bought. If it's under warranty still, who cares if it's used?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    My 970 is still capable of giving me nice looking games, so I'd imagine the 980 being even better.

Go for it!

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Wow Royce, post a build post but do not post the actual build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VQ9ym8

Thoughts on this, buying video card later at best price

RoyceSraphim on
This discussion has been closed.