[The Legend of Zelda] Link's Awakening remake coming to Switch in 2019

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    There are a lot of good tips here. I'm going to have to try that shrine again. I did make my first run at the castle because some NPCs said I could find some loot there. They were not wrong but holy balls was that rough. I got as far as
    Zelda's room and got the memory
    before I got my teeth kicked in. I was lucky enough to teleport out of there before I died.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Any good hints for farming Topaz?

I've found all the other ores I need, and there are definite areas where there are more opals (Frost Talus) or rubies (Igneo Talus).
    But Topaz is being a rarer drop for me than diamonds. I've tried the Gerudo desert as it's the electric themed area, but I can't find any Talus there, and fairly few ore deposits.

I wish there was someone who'd swap ores, I've got about a hundred more amber than I need.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

I've found all the other ores I need, and there are definite areas where there are more opals (Frost Talus) or rubies (Igneo Talus).
    But Topaz is being a rarer drop for me than diamonds. I've tried the Gerudo desert as it's the electric themed area, but I can't find any Talus there, and fairly few ore deposits.

I wish there was someone who'd swap ores, I've got about a hundred more amber than I need.

Go Stone Talus exterminating. What I did was use a map showing where they all were, and as I went smashing I'd put an icon down for any Talus with the weak point on top of their head, as they are way less of a faff to deal with than the ones with it on the back. Then just hit them up every blood moon.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Also, climbing mountains off the beaten path can get you loads of ore. I found tons of every kind of ore while walking/climbing along the cliffs on the eastern coast.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited January 2018

You can make the big gem rocks give you whatever gem you're after by using a correspndig element on it. Ice for sapphire, fire for ruby, electricity for topaz.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

You can make the big gem rocks give you whatever gem your after by using a correspndig element on it. Ice for sapphire, fire for ruby, electricity for topaz.

When you say big gem rocks, do you mean deposits, or Talus?
    Either way, I've got about two hundred shock arrows, so score.

Apologies, I meant the big glittering deposits. Not the smaller, less sparkly ones.

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    There are a lot of good tips here. I'm going to have to try that shrine again. I did make my first run at the castle because some NPCs said I could find some loot there. They were not wrong but holy balls was that rough. I got as far as
    Zelda's room and got the memory
    before I got my teeth kicked in. I was lucky enough to teleport out of there before I died.

Maybe practice killing a Hinox or two away from that island first and then go back. Although I think the tougher part is actually at the peak of the island at the largest enemy camp there.

My Master Mode strategy was
    Took out the Bokoblins with bows at the towers first. I took out the first one and made my way all they way around to the second from the outside of the area. Was spotted and had to glide off after killing that guy and by the time I climbed back on to take on the remaining Boboblins and the Moblin night had fallen. I killed all the weaker enemies nice and quite like and then focused on the Moblin.

Ran into a couple weird random glitches playing yesterday, which hardly ever happens. I found this one amusing.
    6f5r9g.jpg T-Pose!

NNID: Rehab0
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So this is coming.

http://nintendoeverything.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-expanded-edition-guide-revealed/

zelda-guide-expanded.jpg

INCLUDES: Expansion Pass concept art gallery; dedicated chapters covering both Expansion Passes; Reference and Analysis chapter; Maps chapter; all-new hardcover and an extensive 4-page Index.

GUIDE DETAILS

Maps Chapter: a dedicated 36-page atlas of Hyrule showing the exact location of all Korok seeds and treasure chests.

Reference & Analysis Chapter: contains a farming manual showing how to acquire all items of prime interest efficiently; the best weapons and armor upgrades; the most effective recipes; the most lucrative gemstone mining spots; amiibo; merchants and much more.

Expansion Pass Chapters: 34 pages dedicated to “The Master Trials” and “The Champions’ Ballad”.

100% AUTHORITATIVE: all side quests, all shrines of Trials and all information about collectible items fully mapped out; also includes optional challenges, mini-games, unlockables, Easter eggs, and more.

At-a-glance Walkthroughs: annotated maps and screenshots show the optimal way through every quest and dungeon.

Large map poster: two-sided and fully-annotated – covering the immense game area.

Concept art: direct from the development team and beautifully laid out across two sections: 16 pages of concept art from “The Master Trials” and “The Champions’ Ballad” as well as a 16-page art tour of the main game.

Puzzle Master: every single puzzle and riddle unraveled with refined, visual solutions.

Expert Combat Strategy: practical, reproducible tactics to crush all enemies and bosses.

Comprehensive references: exhaustive appraisals of all items and monsters – including key parameters that are hidden in the game.

Premium hardcover: with guide pages printed on superior-quality art paper.

EASE OF USE: Instant searches, print navigation systems, extensive 4-page index and detailed map poster give you immediate access to the information you need.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

You can make the big gem rocks give you whatever gem you're after by using a correspndig element on it. Ice for sapphire, fire for ruby, electricity for topaz.

Yep. I combine this strat for quick stock-up on whatever elemental weapons I want:
    the coliseum has all you could ever want

with this route to a hidden gem cave:
    my mapla point run
    MNYEyx1.jpg
    I usually like making a little adventure of it, but you can skip the talus fight or warp up to the shrine on the back side of the mountain after the talus fight to save time and just get to the good stuff.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    So this is coming.

http://nintendoeverything.com/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-expanded-edition-guide-revealed/

zelda-guide-expanded.jpg

INCLUDES: Expansion Pass concept art gallery; dedicated chapters covering both Expansion Passes; Reference and Analysis chapter; Maps chapter; all-new hardcover and an extensive 4-page Index.

GUIDE DETAILS

Maps Chapter: a dedicated 36-page atlas of Hyrule showing the exact location of all Korok seeds and treasure chests.

Reference & Analysis Chapter: contains a farming manual showing how to acquire all items of prime interest efficiently; the best weapons and armor upgrades; the most effective recipes; the most lucrative gemstone mining spots; amiibo; merchants and much more.

Expansion Pass Chapters: 34 pages dedicated to “The Master Trials” and “The Champions’ Ballad”.

100% AUTHORITATIVE: all side quests, all shrines of Trials and all information about collectible items fully mapped out; also includes optional challenges, mini-games, unlockables, Easter eggs, and more.

At-a-glance Walkthroughs: annotated maps and screenshots show the optimal way through every quest and dungeon.

Large map poster: two-sided and fully-annotated – covering the immense game area.

Concept art: direct from the development team and beautifully laid out across two sections: 16 pages of concept art from “The Master Trials” and “The Champions’ Ballad” as well as a 16-page art tour of the main game.

Puzzle Master: every single puzzle and riddle unraveled with refined, visual solutions.

Expert Combat Strategy: practical, reproducible tactics to crush all enemies and bosses.

Comprehensive references: exhaustive appraisals of all items and monsters – including key parameters that are hidden in the game.

Premium hardcover: with guide pages printed on superior-quality art paper.

EASE OF USE: Instant searches, print navigation systems, extensive 4-page index and detailed map poster give you immediate access to the information you need.

....and pre-ordered. I've been annoyed I can't get the guide anywhere.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
    This 'use electricity on big rocks to get Topaz' thing, can you link to anything with more detail? I tried it, and didn't get much in the way of results.

The bigger clusters that give out precious gems will change to the gem you want if you smash them using elemental weapons. For topaz smash one with an electrical weapon. It doesn't work on the smaller formations, sadly.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I'm kind of impressed by how single-handedly the yiga hideout is turning around my opinion of this game

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    The nice thing about the Yiga hideout is that it is short.

As you are getting out of that segment there is some fun to be had too.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    I'm kind of impressed by how single-handedly the yiga hideout is turning around my opinion of this game

In a good or bad way?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RonTheDMRonTheDM Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Forced stealth one shot enemies when you have 90 armor and 30 hearts and it refuses to acknowledge miphas or your faeries is bad.

Yiga Hideout is dumb. I hated it.

MNC Dover wrote: »

In a good or bad way?

In a bad way

As someone who likes stealth games, it is a poorly designed mission pretty much from top to bottom

I'm done it now but like wow did no one test that

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    The whole time I was fighting the boss I was thinking about how I should just be fighting on of his bullshit guards instead, they're much stronger

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    That part is sort of universally disliked. The aesthetics and build-up of the area going into the hideout is really cool, but the actual part where you are going through their base . . . not so much. Which is a shame, because I like the Yiga and their antics and the extent to which they throw dark.

I heard about that part of the game on the Bombcast before I even played it and upon going through found myself agreeing with Jeff's brief aside about it sucking. Overall I don't really share a lot of the same opinions of what Mr Gerstmann has to say about the game, but there I do.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The Yiga Hideout was kind of a towering specter of frustration and difficulty in my first play-through, and when I went through it the second time I was kind of surprised to discover that it was, essentially, two rooms that are extremely easily defeated with a little foreknowledge. I'm not saying it's not the worst part of the game, but like a lot of things in BotW, what at first seems insuperable suddenly turns into "wait, that's it?" once you internalize a few tricks.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Kupi wrote: »
    The Yiga Hideout was kind of a towering specter of frustration and difficulty in my first play-through, and when I went through it the second time I was kind of surprised to discover that it was, essentially, two rooms that are extremely easily defeated with a little foreknowledge. I'm not saying it's not the worst part of the game, but like a lot of things in BotW, what at first seems insuperable suddenly turns into "wait, that's it?" once you internalize a few tricks.

which is another reason why it is so poorly designed

It's basically impossible until you know exactly what to do, then it is completely trivial

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    My fist time in, I snuck past a couple guards. Then I climbed to the top of a big room and snuck across that. Then... It was over! Maybe I got lucky. How is it hard if you go wrong? Sensitive stealth triggers? I didn't get to see any of the failure triggers. Maybe I'll explore more on a 2nd play through.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Acheron wrote: »
    My fist time in, I snuck past a couple guards. Then I climbed to the top of a big room and snuck across that. Then... It was over! Maybe I got lucky. How is it hard if you go wrong? Sensitive stealth triggers? I didn't get to see any of the failure triggers. Maybe I'll explore more on a 2nd play through.

Very sensitive stealth triggers if you don't use or even know about the banana trick. Also potentially buggy, because on my master mode run, at least twice I snuck up on one, did the sneakstrike, but it was not an instant kill. This caused them to simply get up and spot me. Leading to the big problem. A bunch of the smaller Yija henchmen spawn in with I think one or two of the blademasters. You think it's a case of just having to fight your way out. But every hit is a OHKO. No faeries, no Mipha's Grace, go directly to Dead, do not collect $200. And you have to start the entire stealth section again.

Any number of bandaid fixes would have mitigated the problem. A checkpoint after every room. Or just get rid of the glorified "Game over when spotted" and let me actually fight (you actually can do it, but yeah you better be a combat god now and not get hit by anybody). But they all combine to make it a really shitty section.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Haha oh. I don't know the banana trick and I suck at stealth kills. Never once entered combat. Used stasis to sneak by a couple.

• TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Wow, I am so sorry you all had a bad experience with the Yiga Hideout. I really enjoyed it, and it was pretty easy for me. Granted, Gerudo was one of the last areas I went through in the game, so I was already pretty good at figuring my way around and had pretty good weapons/armor.

I've been reloading my save and strolling around Hyrule Castle again...it's awesome to see the same design philosophy the team built for the overworld brought to a sprawling castle. Finding secrets is genuinely a joy, and I get the feeling I've barely scratched the surface.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    On the upside, I found a fairy fountain exactly just by scrutinizing my map. That was cool.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    On the upside, I found a fairy fountain exactly just by scrutinizing my map. That was cool.

Lucky duck. I haven't found any besides the first one, and
    the Horse God.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Hopefully the switch version of Hyrule Warriors doesn’t have the nerfed graphics on Lana’s summoning gate animations that the 3ds version had.

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    it's pretty rad that a gold lynel can still flatten me in one hit even with max hearts/60 armor.

endgame master mode is a lot more wild and rewarding than normal

Finished up the Middle Trials and Final Trials in Master Mode just now!

For whatever reason I banged my head against the Middle Trials for some time and just breezed through the Final Trials. The difficulty ramp in the middle ones I think is a lot steeper. The entire first two sections of the Final Trials leading up to the "break rooms" are fairly trivial and everything hard comes afterward there.

Another thing is that, in Master Mode
    those walking Guardians level III and above can be a real bitch. The challenge room where you have to face three level III enemies and they all scramble over to you at once was maybe the single toughest area this time around. The final room of the Final Trials was fun but rather easy because I had so much gear and health items going in. Fun stuff, now onto the new DLC soon!

• WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Rehab wrote: »
    Finished up the Middle Trials and Final Trials in Master Mode just now!

For whatever reason I banged my head against the Middle Trials for some time and just breezed through the Final Trials. The difficulty ramp in the middle ones I think is a lot steeper. The entire first two sections of the Final Trials leading up to the "break rooms" are fairly trivial and everything hard comes afterward there.

Another thing is that, in Master Mode
    those walking Guardians level III and above can be a real bitch. The challenge room where you have to face three level III enemies and they all scramble over to you at once was maybe the single toughest area this time around. The final room of the Final Trials was fun but rather easy because I had so much gear and health items going in. Fun stuff, now onto the new DLC soon!

yeah the only part I think is extremely hard in the whole thing is
    the double silver lizalfos floor. you pretty much have to chain sneak attacks or save every single weapon for it

• AlphagaiaAlphagaia Registered User regular

Very sensitive stealth triggers if you don't use or even know about the banana trick. Also potentially buggy, because on my master mode run, at least twice I snuck up on one, did the sneakstrike, but it was not an instant kill. This caused them to simply get up and spot me. Leading to the big problem. A bunch of the smaller Yija henchmen spawn in with I think one or two of the blademasters. You think it's a case of just having to fight your way out. But every hit is a OHKO. No faeries, no Mipha's Grace, go directly to Dead, do not collect $200. And you have to start the entire stealth section again.

Any number of bandaid fixes would have mitigated the problem. A checkpoint after every room. Or just get rid of the glorified "Game over when spotted" and let me actually fight (you actually can do it, but yeah you better be a combat god now and not get hit by anybody). But they all combine to make it a really shitty section.

A checkpoint for just two rooms, one you can skip by climbing the hard to miss ladder?

I think people are a bit unforgiving to this part. The penalty for being seen is as well, but it's so short and you have a lot of freedom and powers (bombs and stasis) to mess with the enemies.

Wanna try my Mario Maker levels?

Shoot m to BITS (hold Y) [hard] C109-0000-014D-4E09
    P-POWER Switch Palace 3838-0000-0122-9359
    Raiding the Serpents Tomb 1A04-0000-0098-C11E
    I like to move it, move it FCE2-0000-00D7-9048

See my profile here!
  • AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    Alphagaia wrote: »

A checkpoint for just two rooms, one you can skip by climbing the hard to miss ladder?

I think people are a bit unforgiving to this part. The penalty for being seen is as well, but it's so short and you have a lot of freedom and powers (bombs and stasis) to mess with the enemies.

I understand hating forced stealth on principal, but this has to be the most trivial stealth section I've seen. Throw some bananas, climb a ladder, throw some more bananas, done.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It wasn't until my second playthrough that I tried using ancient arrows on those bastards.

Man was that cathartic.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades

I understand hating forced stealth on principal, but this has to be the most trivial stealth section I've seen. Throw some bananas, climb a ladder, throw some more bananas, done.

It's a very bad piece of game design in a game that has a bunch of systems that work well, so it stands out

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    I... didn't have any problem with it.
    Some climbing, two arrows, steal 30 bananas, done.

And is there anything stopping you from just going over the whole place? I never tried, but the whole back of that area is wide open, isn't it? Unless it's all sealed off somehow until you go through the front?

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I just looked it up. The boss won't spawn unless you enter the arena from inside the hideout. Also you can't open the door to the hideout from the outside.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular

It's a very bad piece of game design in a game that has a bunch of systems that work well, so it stands out

I'll agree that it stands out, but I just don't get just how upset people have gotten over it. It's short and easy. We're not talking about a Wind Waker Triforce Hunt level fuck up.

• Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    I'm in the camp that Yiga hideout wasn't that bad. I found the exit room in my second try. I didn't get to the boss until my fifth try because finding the door out was harder than getting there. I was also in my stealth suit so I'm sure that helped.

I did finish Eventide island challenge and damn did that feel good. As soon as I was done, the first thing I did was, well get the orb. The second thing was, well
    do the flying challenge. But after that I killed the Hynox.

There is just so much to do in this game. I'm just running around instead of storming the castle because I don't want to get to the end just yet. I might get the DLC even before I fight Ganon.

3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto