As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Damn, guess I'm lttp but 2 is my favorite by a long shot

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    and I was way partial to 3.

or striping all 3 if possible

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    and I was way partial to 3.

or striping all 3 if possible

I already wrote up an alternate knitting pattern for incorporating three colors, but I dunno. That orchid/magenta purple doesn't quite have the same tone as the other two purples which makes me feel it doesn't fit... I might still try a full sweater in one of the other styles to see if I'm more interested in it as a complete outfit.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My literal first thought was tampon as well.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Cambiata wrote: »
    it's a tampon.

it's a tampon wedding dress cocoon.

Ha ha, I was thinking a dainty condom.

I don't think I've ever seen a condom with a bow on it.

But, that might make it more entertaining...

No. That would make me laugh. And just keep laughing.

I mean, so would a tampon with a little bow on it.

Does this count?

E: I'll link this just in case it's NSFW by technicality (just a condom with a bow tie)

https://i.imgur.com/effKUXs.jpg

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Somebody has arrived!
    ucQp0Zx.jpg

It’s my buddy.
    M9FRdos.jpg

My wife made it and is making more. We will have millions of them.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm writing up a 15 minute teaching demo, because I'm being interviewed to maybe teach a Cloud Computing class at the community college. I'm mentioning it here because I'm absolutely using knitting to help in my explanation of algorithms, and I even wrote a simple program in Python that prints out knitting instructions. (which I may or may not use, but better to have too much material than too little)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    OH MY GOSH YOU GUYS I MADE SLEEVES!!!!!!

Magic loop!

Baby Sweater!

So excited!

Going to explode!

m7wja0p12cf3.jpg

Now I just need to do another 25+ cm for the body and then the hem and it'll be done! But I am So very STOKED!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    You could leave it as is and call it a baby bolero

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    I could, but they wouldn't do her much good food coming winter.

• Options
    For anyone wondering about the scale of doll I collect and make clothes for:

KHOt3ML.jpg

The smallest doll is the size of the one I own, 1:3 scale. The large doll is one they just developed at 1:2 scale. The guy in the photo is Danny Choo, creator of Smart Doll. Danny Choo also happens to be the son of Jimmy Choo, yes that Jimmy Choo, and his famous father designs all the shoes for his Smart Doll brand.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Illusion knitting is supremely cool and really makes me wish I liked knit.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So many questions, and not a single one for polite company.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Wait, how is the 1:3 scale doll exactly half the height of the 1:2 scale doll?

Surely if the 1:2 scale doll is half human sized, then the 1:3 scale doll should be one third human sized?

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Just measuring it with my hands on my screen, it looks like the 1:3 is slightly bigger than half the 1:2. So it looks alright to me.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    So many questions, and not a single one for polite company.

http://www.illusionknitting.woollythoughts.com/information.html

Can't help you with questions related specifically to the Big Gay Scarf, though :wink:

• Options
    That was not the post in question. >>

• Options

1) The stand plugs into her back, not her butt
    2) No, not anatomically correct. The boobs don't even have nipples.

• Options

...you mean discussion of knitting doesn't make your mind go... places?

...no?

So how about this weather?

• Options

Yeah okay, I have to admit the second was where my mind went, I know they sell those things...

And @Calica... that sounds... uncomfortable.

• Options

Yeah okay, I have to admit the second was where my mind went, I know they sell those things...

If it's uncomfortable then you're probably doing it wrong :razz:

• Options
    Well. The doll is modular and all the pieces can be swapped out as needed. The perviest the brand itself goes is letting you buy different sized busts on the 1:3 (something similar will eventually be available for the 1:2 as well I have no doubt), and that they've also started development on silicone busts instead of vinyl. I have not looked into what hobbyists might do with the modularity of the doll, and I really don't want to know.

I'm actually super happy they're going to make softer busts because clothes will hang much more naturally on them. I recognize other people might be happy for a different reason.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

If it's uncomfortable then you're probably doing it wrong :razz:

I dunno I mean... I guess I could see it. I draw the line at crochet, though.

• Options
    OH, the whole reason I opened this thread :P

I finally finished my first thing. Many, many mistakes were made and it's a godawful mess. Also I used no thread conditioner because thread conditioner is for cowards and losers and people who own thread conditioner. Which I most certainly do not. I mean, am not.

anocy8d3qbj1.jpg

Thanks again, @Schide <3

• Options
    So Ravelry is doing a challenge thing this year.

Basically, you set yourself a number of projects to finish in the year, and then go from there.

I've set myself 8 total. I've finished one, soon to be two. And I've got two more in my queue.

So yeah. Hopefully I can manage.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    OH, the whole reason I opened this thread :P

I finally finished my first thing. Many, many mistakes were made and it's a godawful mess. Also I used no thread conditioner because thread conditioner is for cowards and losers and people who own thread conditioner. Which I most certainly do not. I mean, am not.

anocy8d3qbj1.jpg

Thanks again, @Schide <3

Ohhhhh, that looks nice. Glad I could help!

• Options
    That is so pretty, @ceres

• Options
    Ever do something brand new and it actually comes out pretty good, and then go to make the exact same thing over again and it's frustrating and looks like garbage and you're baffled as to why? Especially since it's basically beginner-level?

Because that's what's happening right now and it's beyond frustrating and I think I'm going to just tear the whole thing apart and start over.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I feel really out of place inside a joann fabric store it turns out.

I still want to learn to sew though... :sad:

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Man, what? If anyone gives you side-eye for being in a crafting store, tell them I said to GO FUCK THEMSELVES.

I learned how to sew in Home Ec. class in high school. I mean, I also sewed my finger one time but by the end of the semester I made a pair of shorts that I used for years before they fell apart.

• Options
    Lots of dudes sew, knit, and crochet.

No one will give you a second thought.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Watch some Project Runway and check out the amazing designers, half of whom are male!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Watch some Project Runway and check out the amazing designers, half of whom are male!

Season 3's winner is probably my favorite of all the winners (that I watched).

bowen on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular

I have spent countless hours in Joanne's and Hancock's Fabrics. I've never once given a half a thought to a man being in either store. Many men sew, knit, crochet, and craft. If I even think about it, I'm checking out the fabrics and patterns the man is buying to get ideas for me. hahahaha

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've found some older female store personnel can get weirdly hostile about men being in their shop. Usually it's in the smaller independent places.

But that's ok because it just means you get to Pretty Woman* them

*take your business elsewhere

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    so what all should I get to learn to sew? I was too spooked to ask an employee.

I mean I already kind of know the very basics but yeah actually making items of clothing will take practice.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2018
    so what all should I get to learn to sew? I was too spooked to ask an employee.

I mean I already kind of know the very basics but yeah actually making items of clothing will take practice.

If you haven't made anything at all before, start with a tote bag. Then work your way up to more involved clothing. A good way to get comfortable is to start by taking apart and tailoring existing clothes -like you bought a thrift shop shirt that's too long, take it up, or has baggy armpits - unpick them and take them in. Then you can start cutting patterns to make your own from scratch* - Simplicity (http://www.simplicity.com/patterns/men/) and maybe Butterick have very easy designs.

* when you get to this point, it's good practise to do two things. One is keep a record of all your measurements, especially circumferences, because then you know which size on the pattern to cut (and eventually how to alter the patterns to tailor them to your exact shape!) The second is to always make a toile - that's a quick version of the garment out of shitty cheap fabric, like canvas, which you can mess with and get seam measurements and darts and everything exactly right, before using nice fabric.

edit: some resources

this is a good reference that will guide you through pretty much all the standard stuff you'll encounter, plus some tips and tricks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Simplicity-Simply-Best-Sewing-Book/dp/073942100X

Any pattern you buy will tell you the thickness and type of fabric it recommends. Thickness is fairly self-explanatory, the thing to watch out for is stretch - there are basically three options (to varying degrees of each). No stretch, single-direction stretch, two-way stretch. No stretch is the easiest to sew, but the least forgiving in terms of fit. Two-way stretch is the hardest to sew. Most fabric stores have offcut and scrap bins - I'd recommend picking up some cheap bits and bobs from those and just practice making little bags and pockets out of different types of material, so you get a feel for shape and stitch.

tynic on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    That Simplicity book is A+. I own it.

Basically all the things Tynic said (although I rarely work with altering ready-made stuff because I'm a coward). When you want patterns, wait for a sale. Joanne's usually has at least one pattern sale a month where they'll be super cheap. Avoid Vogue and Burda (too complicated; often doesn't have seam allowance built in). New Look and Kwik Sew have a number of basic pieces/styles and they're always cheap. Not sure what their men's selection is like, but worth a look, esp for some simple crafts that you can play around and learn with.

YouTube is your friend, as well. Craftsy and Burda (?) also have digital classes you can buy and watch. They have sales, too, but it's usually about $20 a class, so keep that in mind.

• Options
    @Uriel hand-sewing or machine sewing?

Either way, I definitely recommend starting a) with plain, non-jersey cotton (which is the majority of what Joann's sells, and is often super cheap).

I'd say that even easier than a tote bag is a small quilt or blanket. If you're machine-sewing, it's also really good practice for sewing a nice, straight line.

• Options
    I was thinking by hand if only because machines are super super expensive. also some of what I wanted to do seems like it won't be great with a machine. like stitches that don't show up very much like an applique.