As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Ball Xenoverse: Have you let Goku in to your heart?

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Health and basic attacks are ok places to place the penalties.

But I don't toy with QQ bangs. I'm a loot hoarder and have access to Beerus' clothes now.

The Time Patroller clothes from the medal shop and Amy's clothes (npc next to the accessory shop) get you gear with positive buffs iirc but those are really modest.

I actually like to keep basic attacks decently up. Punching is a lot of what you do in this game, being good at punching is good. And since Kaioken is the buff I have up to here...

And Amy's gives like four arrows of health per piece, which doesn't seem minor, given how much four arrows of anything seem to be.

No expert here but usually what you want to do with basic attacks is to use them to connect the special attacks. If you use specials at the end of a combo chain the damage increases.

Is this right? Trying it in training mode I get the same damage number for Supers no matter where they are in the combo.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I am excited for XV3 despite known nothing except that it is in the works.

As long as it is as improved from XV2 and that was from XV1 I'll be satisfied. Though personally I would certainly prefer more.

At the very least I imagine/hope that XV3 will contain a fair amount of Super this time around. They would have loved to for XV2, but Super was just too recent and game development being what it is they couldn't really add it in at the time. Now though? I don't see why not.

As for a QoL change I'd personally like to see is the removal of stats from clothing altogether. I mean XV2 you could bypass it and it was fine and in truth I'd be content if they keep that system, but they may as well just remove stats completely from clothing and replace it with a new item(s).

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Health and basic attacks are ok places to place the penalties.

But I don't toy with QQ bangs. I'm a loot hoarder and have access to Beerus' clothes now.

The Time Patroller clothes from the medal shop and Amy's clothes (npc next to the accessory shop) get you gear with positive buffs iirc but those are really modest.

I actually like to keep basic attacks decently up. Punching is a lot of what you do in this game, being good at punching is good. And since Kaioken is the buff I have up to here...

And Amy's gives like four arrows of health per piece, which doesn't seem minor, given how much four arrows of anything seem to be.

No expert here but usually what you want to do with basic attacks is to use them to connect the special attacks. If you use specials at the end of a combo chain the damage increases.

Is this right? Trying it in training mode I get the same damage number for Supers no matter where they are in the combo.

My mistake. I think that only applies to combo strings of basic attacks.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    I am excited for XV3 despite known nothing except that it is in the works.

As long as it is as improved from XV2 and that was from XV1 I'll be satisfied. Though personally I would certainly prefer more.

At the very least I imagine/hope that XV3 will contain a fair amount of Super this time around. They would have loved to for XV2, but Super was just too recent and game development being what it is they couldn't really add it in at the time. Now though? I don't see why not.

As for a QoL change I'd personally like to see is the removal of stats from clothing altogether. I mean XV2 you could bypass it and it was fine and in truth I'd be content if they keep that system, but they may as well just remove stats completely from clothing and replace it with a new item(s).

They likely will use the other universes.

But can Dimps stop Toriyama from swimming in money to help them flesh out their games? Unlikely but they could get Toyotaro and Nakatsuru.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    This is a bit of a random post but something just occurred to me and I'm curious to people's thoughts.

Has anyone ever noticed that Anime Fighting games take the exact opposite approach to characters than other fighting games?

Meaning if a fighting game like Street Fighter or Tekken or the such want new characters they're all "DLC for days" but if something like DBXV or Naruto wants to add new characters they basically say "Screw it, new game!" I know DBXV has had DLC characters but given the turn around for 1 and 2 and possibly 3 (as well as every iteration of Budokai in the past) i feel that it's still in the same category.

Personally I think I prefer not having to buy a new game every year (see also CoD/BF), however the flip side is they almost always go on sale for cheap in a reasonable amount of time which is nice for that fighting game itch. I've only every grabbed Budokai 3 and XV1 so I'm not complaining or anything, just noting a difference.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Xenoverse 2 is a massive, tangible overhaul of how some things work.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I can never go back to XV1's mentor system.

• Options
    Can't add much but I think the profits in these kind of anime games ain't that big.

The profit is split among publisher, developer and those who own the rights, say Shueisha. The creator must also receive a check.

Let's not forget the localization efforts.

And maintaining characters for a new meta must be a drag.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    I just want them to fix the Switch version's TP store.

• Options
    TamerBill wrote: »
    I just want them to fix the Switch version's TP store.

What's wrong with it? I legit don't know anything about the Switch version.

• Options
    It doesn't cycle the products iirc.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Oh yeah that would absolutely be a very annoying problem.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    The TP store cycles the products? I don't remember seeing it change, and I play on PC.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Some old stuff like sword attacks and Super Black Kamehameha(?) is medal stuff.

Again iirc. I like the game but I'm no veteran.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    It has been awhile since I checked so it may have been changed, but last I knew the TP Shop didn't exactly rotate its stock. Each item showing up is based on RNG so if you are unlucky you might see all the same shit or all new shit or you might never see a thing you really want (le sigh).

But in general the stock should change at least somewhat each weekend.

• Options
    Yeah, for the Switch version there's a bunch of stuff that isn't in the rotation options, so it's straight-up impossible to get skills like Sword of Hope.

• Options
    They've made changes to how the rotation works, over time, but for a while the items available were straight up set to the system-date.

• Options
    I'm playing Dragon Ball Fusions.

Kid Trunks: "Towa is really cute, isn't she?"

Boy, you don't know.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So I've been interested in Xenoverse for a while, but my ancient gaming PC isn't really up to running it even remotely well (above the min specs for Xenoverse 1 but way below the recommended, and below the minimum for 2). I am, however, getting a Switch (supposed to arrive Tuesday) and I see that Xenoverse 2 is on sale in the Nintendo eShop for $35. Is the Switch version good? I see above that there is some sort of bug with one of the shops, or there was and maybe it is fixed. I'm a sucker for being able to make my own character and choose my own skills.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Reddit says the TP shop is gonna get an update according to the japanese website.

You can download the story mode of the first Xenoverse game for Xeno 2 as dlc and it seems to be have an active community on the Switch. I'd say it's a great deal.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Cool, hopefully the Switch arrives on time and I have a day or two to hit up the eShop. XV2 and Mario + Rabbids are both on sale, and are both things that I want.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So going by the recent anime, do you think
    we could get a God of Destruction transformation?

Saiyans are gonna get SSGSS / Blue.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I think
    Toppo
    has been mined from DLC data for the Fighting game, not Xenoverse.

Handkor on
  • Options
    Yeah.

But maybe non-saiyans could get something?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Destroyer Yamcha, plz

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    Destroyer Yamcha, plz
    You're not dealing with the average Human warrior anymore! I, Yamcha, have finally become...The Legendary Super Human!

• Options
    He can become a god of destruction but not find a wife. Ha!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    So I finally started playing Xenoverse 2 yesterday, since I spent the first two weeks of my Switch life playing Zelda, and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm playing as a Frieza race (because they look cool) that is mostly focused on ki blast supers (because it's Dragon Ball) and it is certainly working well enough for now. The starting skills were not clicking with me, but once I got Destructo Disc and Kamehameha things got better. I've learned all of the skills from the first four trainers and can go to the various Time Rifts but I don't have the required item to get into Frieza's army so I probably should do more Time Patrols (I've only done the Saiyan saga up through beating up Great Ape Vegeta and Nappa) so that I can either get it as a reward or buy it from the shop.

So I do have some questions. If I wanted to make another character, like a Namekian or Saiyan or something, I would have to play through the story missions and acquire gear and skills all over again, right? There's no carryover between characters to make subsequent ones easier / quicker? I also currently have Krillin as my master, and there is a bar that is increasing which I think has to do with my friendship with him; is there any benefit to maxing that out, and should I switch to a different master at some point? I seemed to be able to learn all the skills from all of them regardless. Is there anything in particular I should save my zenni for? I haven't spent any so far, but I saw there were some Super Souls available, and the ones I have are not useful (one just changes my basic ki blast type, the other changes the basic ki blast type and gives a bonus to giant form Namekians). I'm probably over leveled for my current story progression, so I can just pretend I'm Goku as I smash everybody's face in with little effort for the true DBZ experience.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    everything but level carries over.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Money doesn't matter much.

You get a lot stuff from doing PQs and you can craft items if you need them from materials you get here and there.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Inventory is shared, but you can't get to stuff another character is wearing.
    Krillin's meter will get you a few stickers to put on some screen. Getting all of them for two characters can give you a bonus-sticker with both of them, I think. Piccolo has the best one.

PLA on
  • Options
    Thanks for the answers, guys. I'm actually pretty happy to hear that stuff is shared between characters on an account. I'm certainly having fun with it, though I think I've done more side quests than is expected as the story quests are pretty easy right now. I'm sure they'll get tougher later. It's fun getting to participate in all the classic Dragon Ball Z scenes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Just wanted to let everybody know that Golden Form is so satisfying. It's so wonderfully gaudy and ridiculous, and I think it is the best looking transformation that Dragon Ball has. Also great that I get to be Emperor now, with Frieza and Cooler as my subordinates. I looked at some of the other transformations available, and I can't decide if Majins or Humans got screwed worse. At least anybody can use Potential Unleashed, which is a pretty nice buff but visually boring.

I'm actually enjoying this game even more than I expected. What sort of stuff does the DLC add? I'm not sure if I'm interested in more characters playable in vs mode or as assistants in PQs, but new storylines and masters might be neat.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Some masters, skills, costumes and parallel-quests related to the new characters, I think. It's a grab-bag.

You actually don't need to use your own character for most quests. And experience-gain is universal.

• Options
    I guess I knew you didn't have to play as your own character in PQs at least, but much of the appeal of the game for me is playing as my own character so I don't really see why I wouldn't. I'll probably hold off on getting any DLC for now, I still have plenty of content to go through and I've spent a bit more on games recently than I probably should have. I know the Switch version includes some of the DLC, but I'm not really sure what is and isn't included overall.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sometimes I use the inconsistently programmed Zamasu that can ignore a boss-immunity.

• Options
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I'm actually enjoying this game even more than I expected. What sort of stuff does the DLC add? I'm not sure if I'm interested in more characters playable in vs mode or as assistants in PQs, but new storylines and masters might be neat.

Not sure how much story it adds but the new characters become move tutors.

I still haven't bought any dlc. Waiting for a sale.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Finished the main story just now, and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by how the final battle went. I ended up at level 70, and before doing the final bit I did some testing with my gear. I had a QQ Bang that had +4 Ki Supers and -5 Ki, so I wanted to see what the difference ended up being. Death Ball did 4.5% more damage with the QQ Bang than with no +Ki Supers at all in normal form, and a mighty 0.1% more damage when in Golden Form. Meanwhile I lost about two bars of Ki, which seems like a heck of a lot to lose for such a small increase in damage. Is there something I am missing here? I even tried out equipping random +Ki Supers gear I had to see if maybe the QQ Bang wasn't the same as having multiple pieces of gear adding up, but the result was pretty much the same. So are stats like Ki, Health and Stamina just more effective on gear than damage boosts?

steam_sig.png