As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallen London] et al.: Sunless Skies is out!

• Options
    MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Saw a blimp once Registered User regular
    No big difference that I remember. It is only different if you steal the Zeppelin and take it East yourself.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Finally ground out the found a kingdom with no background achievement. Also the first time I won rather than died. I found the end of the ambition intensely boring.
    Wow, it sure is going to be all eternity until I get 10 years at zee.

In fallen london I drew a mood on my main character, is there anything interesting I can do with this?

38thDoE on steam
    πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€πŸ¦‘πŸ¦€

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    38thDoe wrote: Β»
    Finally ground out the found a kingdom with no background achievement. Also the first time I won rather than died. I found the end of the ambition intensely boring.
    Wow, it sure is going to be all eternity until I get 10 years at zee.

In fallen london I drew a mood on my main character, is there anything interesting I can do with this?

Things I have done with moods:

- maxed out my Scholar of the Correspondence
    - maxed out my Renown: Constables
    - in the process of maxing out my Renown: Criminals (both of these last two are in preparation for the London's Marrow step of Paramount Presence - 50 Renown with constables and the law sounded a lot easier than 10,000 echoes or every max-cost certifiable scraps item)

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Wait how does renown work? I've been doing it 7 favors at a time and it's taking forever.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Wait how does renown work? I've been doing it 7 favors at a time and it's taking forever.

You're doing it the right way, it's just that at higher levels it can be hard to meet the Shadowy/Dangerous/etc stat requirements even with overcapped stats and gear, since the requirement is 6 x [current Renown level] - so when you're at 49 you need 294 in the relevant stat.

• Options
    Oh I'm so low it just takes favors without a check. Well that's wonderful to look forward to. I don't suppose any of the items are worth anything? By that I mean are better than the best purchased item?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    AersienAersien Registered User regular
    None of the items are particularly useful, although they are valuable if sold to the Bazaar.

While I'm not pursuing Paramount Presence, at least at the moment, I can't believe 10,000 echoes seems difficult. You accumulate money, or at least stuff easily turned into money, all the time, just by doing anything.

Going back to the Notability discussion, when pushing for very high levels it's usually easier and more efficient to do it by getting married, as strange as that sounds. Looking over the wiki, it takes 25,000 rats, 50 actions (plus whatever it takes to acquire all the rats), and someone willing to marry you. Plus you then need to either put in the time or pay the cost (up to 50 echoes) to divorce. Not easy, but it'll get you a reliable 1 Notability in a repeatable way, and it doesn't depend at all on BDR.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Aersien wrote: Β»
    None of the items are particularly useful, although they are valuable if sold to the Bazaar.

I dunno, I think Language of Laces, Where the Bodies are Buried, The One Who Pulls the Strings, Newly-Born Frost Moth, and A Most Humbling Expression of Her Majesty's Esteem, Oneiric Key, The Great Game, and Beatific Stone are all best in slot without being a certain profession or spending Fate.

10,000 Echoes isn't that daunting but I need the things I would turn into Echoes for my Impossible Theorem and vial of M_____'s B___d. I can get up to 50 Notability just by flipping a lot of cards.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    It becomes a weird compulsion. Right now I've got waiting to be addressed on my front page:

- last month's Exceptional Story
    - this month's Exceptional Story
    - The Marriage of Feducci
    - The Blemmigan Affair
    - The first step on the storylet to recover my soul (I took advantage of the special holiday deal in the Brass Embassy lodging to sell it for a Night-Whisper and seven Storm-Threnodies)

and instead I'm just patiently grinding out 50-cent item conversions so I can make a big push next week.

Weird compulsions are the very essence of Fallen London.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Aersien wrote: Β»

I dunno, I think Language of Laces, Where the Bodies are Buried, The One Who Pulls the Strings, Newly-Born Frost Moth, and A Most Humbling Expression of Her Majesty's Esteem, Oneiric Key, The Great Game, and Beatific Stone are all best in slot without being a certain profession or spending Fate.

10,000 Echoes isn't that daunting but I need the things I would turn into Echoes for my Impossible Theorem and vial of M_____'s B___d. I can get up to 50 Notability just by flipping a lot of cards.
    Oh, somehow I got my wires crossed and was thinking of the 3200 scrap items, not the renown items. But... 50 Notability? It caps at 15...

Quite a few are the best available. For the home comforts and transport, they're the best and the only non-fate options. The companions are tied for best since the tiger ministers became available; tigers are expensive, but they're just as good and quicker and easier than grinding all that renown.

The Language of Laces is noteworthy for being only a second-tier renown item and still the best watchful boots, and indeed the only watchful boots that are always available. The rest can only be obtained during limited holiday windows or by picking a particular mentor as a new arrival.

• Options
    brain fart, I mean 50 renown

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Echoes aren't that bad to grind anymore, as long as you aren't too attached to your austere quality. Doing one of the shorter works at the empress's court, using the 'the lead' option will get you 30 echoes for 21 actions. I've been churning out elder continent ballets to grind their favor and making bank. I actually have enough for an overgoat, but I'm saving the money for the paramount presence thing.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I really don't care for how they gate off so much behind high renown. Things were much easier with connected. I can't raise renown the church without souls but I can't get souls without renown hell ten. It's worse for my alt. I remember joining gods editors as my first posi thing. Now it requires too much renown requiring buying a high echo item and tons of grinding cards.

If I recall correctly renown was supposed To be just for fluff when it came out.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I really should've checked the numbers on "A noted orchid-grower consults" sooner. It kinda felt like it was probably averaging out to a loss, but I figured that was probably just in my head. I didn't think they'd have a card that on average reduces your progress.

• Options
    The obnoxious thing is she knows full well what the thing is.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
  • Options
    Congratulations! What did you end up getting?

• Options
    Zee-Clipper. I assume it makes getting from point A to point B easier. Since I've got places to go already I figured I'd start with the Zee clipper to do those and then get the other ships afterwards.

• Options
    Boats don't really work like that. You can only have one at a time, and while they each have their on unique card interactions when out at zee, they all get to where they're going at more or less the same speed.

• Options
    I didn't even remember that there was a clipper option. I thought it was just tramp steamer, majestic pleasure yacht, or zubmarine.

• Options
    You don't see the clipper as often since it doesn't have a BRD point, but it is out there.

• Options
    The Zee Clipper's card actually does shave a couple actions off trips tbh.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Is there a list of things that are okay to sell somewhere?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Is there a list of things that are okay to sell somewhere?

I haven't found a list but I usually pop into http://fallenlondon.wikia.com , search for the item, and click on the "uses" button

In general I think you're always fine selling whispered hints, moon-pearls, nevercold brass, glim, surface currency, and lamplighter beeswax - those are pretty easy to get a hold of

knobs of scintillack and sworn statements from sinning jenny's are pretty safe sales too

if you've already found the Nadir, feel free to sell any eyeless skulls you dig up

Things i can think of that you should not sell:

- foxfire candles (tend to be used by the hundreds to build renown, or in the palace cellars)
    - your last mourning-candles (keep 4-5 handy for building renown, although you can sell the rest...they're usually what I get as my reward from the Affair of the Box)
    - fourth city airag/tears of the bazaar (in case you ever want to get a vial of M_____'s B___d)
    - your last Magnificent Diamonds and Ostentatious Diamonds (keep some around, they are sometimes needed in checks)

eh that's all I can think of off the top of my head

• Options
    oh, don't sell Cabinets of Curiosities! they are way more valuable if you sell them at auction through the bazaar lodgings card

• Options
    Drown all your possessions in a well

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    I don't have any scintillack actually.
    I turn eyeless skulls into cinders because I'm dumb.
    I'm at 6/4 towards getting another vial of master's blood, not really sure why I would want to though considering the notability hit.
    I have 100s of antique mysteries, passphrases, bazzar permits, screams and thernodys. Seem to have 150 mourning candles for some reason also.

I should buy the handsome townhouse huh? I have the DoubleGoat, I guess I don't really have anything else to buy then the Cider but I'm sure I'm nowhere near that.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Just finished my first term in Port Carnelian, heading back to London now. That was really cool!

• Options
    Oh, not sure if Associating with Radical Academics 10 was attainable before rather recently, but if it was, here's something you older players might not have seen:
    sy0trmo43kq5.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die KrΓ€he Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    yeah it's been recently added

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    I believe that unlocked for you for to your recent successful governorship. Congratulations on the title and we hope you also enjoy working with the Court of the Wakeful Eye.

Also, I am mildly curious how they will change that text when our illustrious Mayor is deposed.

• Options
    Also, I am mildly curious how they will change that text when our illustrious Mayor is deposed.
    Yeah, the reason I posted it was because I thought maybe it'd been available previously but different due to Feducci not having been mayor at the time.

• Options
    Maybe he will remain mayor forever. Who can take him down?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    I am restored!
    The verdict is mixed. A retired judge damns your works, your moral character, and the compass of your very soul. Your work he condemns as sinful and scandalous, and he should like private copies for his own perusal forthwith. A lady of the Empress' bedchamber wonders whether you are not in fact too young, too beautiful, too passionate, to be stultified by the trappings of a Laureateship. The Cultivated Chairwoman's eyes sparkle as she hands you your materials back. "Very promising. Very promising indeed."

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    I really hate how they walled off getting certain goods behind renown.

Anyone know a good way to get souls and greyfield 1882 OTHER than unfinished business?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, that's one of the not so great things about renown.

Greyfields 1882 is obtainable in vast quantities from calling in Favours: Society in the Shuttered Palace. Fortunately, those are probably the most abundant favors. That's not a grind, but depending on how much wine you need that might be enough.

Souls are tougher. You can get them from tracking down spirifers in Ladybones Road, but that gets you so few that you'd be better off taking a more profitable action, selling whatever you'd get, and then buying souls from the Bazaar. Thieves' Cache expeditions in the Forgotten Quarter have a chance to give you a big pile of souls at the end. Robbing the Brass Embassy is a bigger time investment and probably not the most efficient source either, but it can reliably get you souls (and possible incarceration unless you max out your Casing). There are also a few opportunity cards, like the first option of "An Implausible Penance" and the fairly rare "Below the Neath."

Aersien on
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess the issue is I'm trying to raise all my renowns at once, but I'm stuck on Church and now Bohemians because of Renown Great Game and Renown Hell.

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    If you want to snag Hell favors, hit parties - the first and final options for the Brass Ambassador yield 2x and 1x favors apiece - and keep your Scandal high, so when you draw "An Afternoon of Good Deeds," you can take the "An Afternoon of Mischief!" option on the card, which gives another favor.

That Renown 10 lock in Spite was annoying, for sure, but you can flip it in about a week if you just draw draw draw cards.

• Options
    Does anyone have a spare skull?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Renown is weird. I think it works as an idea for end game characters since it gives them a nice grind to keep busy with while grinding up to 40 to get best in slot items, but I think it does hurt low level characters in the process. Getting to renown 10 as a low level nobody in London is actually pretty difficult. It is a big ask for a low level character to go drop 30-60 echoes of an item that will slowly boost their renown in exchange for favors, especially when favors are valuable commodities themselves.

It feels like maybe the old "Connections" system should be used for renown 1-10 and then swap over to the new favor system at renown 10? That way players would get to taste a little bit of all of the different factions before doubling down on some of them and dumping money into it. Also, maybe it would make the level 10 renown rewards come at a time where they could possibly be useful to the player.

Another small fault, the renown system changes the timing on a very cool storyline. I know a lot of people hate it, but being Courted by the Devils is an amazing thing to a fresh faced player. With Connected, you could easily get enough favor with Hell to Devils start showing up at your door to invite you to parties. Looking back, there was something magically insidious about that. You are new to London, living in a smokey flophouse, barely scraping enough coin together to grind your ambition forward. Then, these well dressed Devils appear out of nowhere and start offering things you haven't seen before. Gifts, invitations to fancy parties, intrigue with society. It was the perfect tale of the Devils taking advantage of a new Neathy person's innocence and I think that may be part of the reason so many people ended up losing their souls early. With renown, I have a character who is already a person of some importance with renown 0 with the devils. I simply haven't needed it yet. And that completely changes how that story feels.

Well, that is my ramblings for the day. Just a weird system, nothing to quit the game over, but perhaps it could use a tweak here and there.

This discussion has been closed.