Options

[US Healthcare Reform] TX judge: ACA is unconstitutional

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Could a person frame feeding the homeless as giving healthcare via religious grounds? The only thing I see standing in the way of that is a random person probably isn't a health care worker.
    It would be a first amendment issue.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Skimming that NPR article it sure seems like a "Screw trans and maybe gay folks getting medical care."

Because those groups definitely don't face any discrimination at all when compared to the religious. [/sarcasm]

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Skimming that NPR article it sure seems like a "Screw trans and maybe gay folks getting medical care."

Because those groups definitely don't face any discrimination at all when compared to the religious. [/sarcasm]

Also women seeking contraception, abortions, etc...

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's being framed as though doctors are being forced to perform surgeries against their will, which is not something that's happening.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It's being framed as though doctors are being forced to perform surgeries against their will, which is not something that's happening.

Are we sure it’s not happening, cause there’s a chain email about an article on Facebook that says it’s happening all the time

• Options

Are we sure it’s not happening, cause there’s a chain email about an article on Facebook that says it’s happening all the time

If there was actually some sort of BS clickbait claim going around, I'd like to see it.

SRS isn't something you can just walk into any ER and go "we need a doctor to help this person transition, stat!"

There are extremely complicated procedures that people have to get specific training for, and the fact that wait lists for the surgeries are often years long means that there is far more demand than there are doctors able to provide.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Also women seeking contraception, abortions, etc...

Just do it yourself with some craft supplies from Hobby Lobby.

• Options

If there was actually some sort of BS clickbait claim going around, I'd like to see it.

SRS isn't something you can just walk into any ER and go "we need a doctor to help this person transition, stat!"

There are extremely complicated procedures that people have to get specific training for, and the fact that wait lists for the surgeries are often years long means that there is far more demand than there are doctors able to provide.

Yeah, like that when folks start talking about it on these international boards they start talking about specific doctors amazes me. There are not a huge number of folks who do these surgeries.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Even if that were a thing, who would want a surgery performed under duress?

I wouldn't get an abortion from a pro-lifer. I wouldn't trust them to actually do it.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

I wouldn't get an abortion from a pro-lifer. I wouldn't trust them to actually do it.
    That's a frightening point. Even with the threat of all the punishment that comes with "do no harm" some people give zero-fucks enough to bring their political biases to the job.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Henroid wrote: »

That's a frightening point. Even with the threat of all the punishment that comes with "do no harm" some people give zero-fucks enough to bring their political biases to the job.

Plus even without intentional sabotage or what have you, a surgeon who hates what they're being forced to do is not likely to do their best work.

The reason this kind of "religious liberty" is even a discussion we're having is that conservative evangelicals believe that "we must obey God rather than men" - i.e., if the law requires you to do something that contradicts your faith, you don't do it (or vice versa).

These idiots want to be able to do that and still keep their jobs as healthcare providers, though. It's a classic case of wanting to have one's cake and eat it.

Calica on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

It's not just surgery. Providers completely unrelated to trans care often refuse to treat trans people for unrelated issues. "Sorry can't work on that broken arm, you're transgender."

In one extreme case this included EMTs letting their patient die.

• Options

This legislation is basically trying to allow doctors to refuse necessary medical treatment to people because they think the people are icky.

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

It's not just surgery. Providers completely unrelated to trans care often refuse to treat trans people for unrelated issues. "Sorry can't work on that broken arm, you're transgender."

Holy shit. I'm afraid to ask if there were any repercussions :sad:

(I was talking specifically about the myth of surgeons being forced to do elective surgeries against their will. It doesn't really surprise me that trans people get denied routine care. People suck.)

• Options

... I want to ask for a citation on that but I'm also scared to find out it is true.

• Options
    edited January 2018

... I want to ask for a citation on that but I'm also scared to find out it is true.

Googled it: https://bklyner.com/ems-denied-transgender-patient-care-causing-her-death-alleges-sheepshead-bay-lawyer-sheepshead-bay/

The EMTs say she was dead when they got there. Her parents and the lawyer they hired say that the EMTs failed to provide aid, and also that the local hospital referred her to a psychiatrist in an earlier incident instead of taking her symptoms seriously.

Also, although the article itself uses female pronouns for her, both her parents and the lawyer are quoted as misgendering her. Her mother consistently refers to her as "my son."

Calica on
  • Options

Googled it: https://bklyner.com/ems-denied-transgender-patient-care-causing-her-death-alleges-sheepshead-bay-lawyer-sheepshead-bay/

The EMTs say she was dead when they got there. Her parents and the lawyer they hired say that the EMTs failed to provide aid, and also that the local hospital referred her to a psychiatrist in an earlier incident instead of taking her symptoms seriously.

Also, although the article itself uses female pronouns for her, both her parents and the lawyer are quoted as misgendering her. Her mother consistently refers to her as "my son."

That isn't the incident I was thinking of. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyra_Hunter

Doesn't surprise me there's been more.

• Options
    I'm hesitant to post a link to the video embed I saw of this since major news outlets haven't picked up on it yet, but today Trump gave a speech on TV and declared that births after nine months of pregnancy are "wrong" and "that has to change."

I share this just to say, fuck, healthcare is that much of an uphill battle right now.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    ...i figured Trump just got mixed up, but I just realized I can't actually decipher what he meant.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I'm hesitant to post a link to the video embed I saw of this since major news outlets haven't picked up on it yet, but today Trump gave a speech on TV and declared that births after nine months of pregnancy are "wrong" and "that has to change."

I share this just to say, fuck, healthcare is that much of an uphill battle right now.
    They're probably not picking it up because typical partial birth abortion talking points run through the Trump random word replacement filter isn't very interested.

• Options

That isn't the incident I was thinking of. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyra_Hunter

Okay yeah that's pretty clear cut. Goddamn :sad:

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »

They're probably not picking it up because typical partial birth abortion talking points run through the Trump random word replacement filter isn't very interested.

Is there even a context for what he was trying to say?

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    How does providing care to transgender person even intersect with religious beliefs?

Do they even come up in millenia old religious texts?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular

It was a speech broadcast to the March for Life, obviously he's going to throw them some strong anti-abortion rhetoric.

• Options
    How does providing care to transgender person even intersect with religious beliefs?

Biogots going to bigot. The religous right wing *hates* LGBT people and wants us dead. The usual explanation for trans people specifically is "God doesn't make mistakes" (tell that to the kid with CF goose) and or "mental illness that shouldn't be coddled" (which is bullshit)

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    For fuck's sake.

Biogots going to bigot. The religous right wing *hates* LGBT people and wants us dead. The usual explanation for trans people specifically is "God doesn't make mistakes" (tell that to the kid with CF goose) and or "mental illness that shouldn't be coddled" (which is bullshit)

"Mental illness shouldn't be coddled... unless it's mine."

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

I would guess he was supposed to say "torn from their mother's womb" and he just fucked it up.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I would guess he was supposed to say "torn from their mother's womb" and he just fucked it up.

I suppose if you want to fuck something like that up, that is definitely a way to do it.

So, since I was born a day late, that make me some kind of victim? I always knew I was special!

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular

I work as a first responder. The Brooklyner article as referenced does a poor job of presenting the facts of the story and uses those blanks to assert their editorial agenda in this case.

The relevant facts in this instance are the timeline of events.

Daughter wakes mother>
    mother finds daughter unconscious/unresponsive>
    EMS arrives and does not begin CPR/emergency care - mother asserts this is due to anti-transgender bias

The important missing information is the period of time between the young woman leaving her mom and being found. It could be five minutes, it could be an hour. We don't know because they don't tell us or haven't bothered to find out.

Response time for call is listed as roughly ten minutes - this information is publicly available and can be definitively stated if pursued.

The reason this is important is because quite simply the EMTs could have arrived to find a cool dead body with a timeline provided by her mother that reinforces that she was beyond saving. When people are cool to the touch and without a pulse and have not been seen for a significant chunk of time, lifesaving efforts are not going to happen.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    RedTide wrote: »

I work as a first responder. The Brooklyner article as referenced does a poor job of presenting the facts of the story and uses those blanks to assert their editorial agenda in this case.

Daughter wakes mother>
    EMS arrives and does not begin CPR/emergency care - mother asserts this is due to anti-transgender bias

The important missing information is the period of time between the young woman leaving her mom and being found. It could be five minutes, it could be an hour. We don't know because they don't tell us or haven't bothered to find out.

Response time for call is listed as roughly ten minutes - this information is publicly available and can be definitively stated if pursued.

The reason this is important is because quite simply the EMTs could have arrived to find a cool dead body with a timeline provided by her mother that reinforces that she was beyond saving. When people are cool to the touch and without a pulse and have not been seen for a significant chunk of time, lifesaving efforts are not going to happen.

"Smith woke her mother the night of her death, complaining of shortness of breath, Cox said. Cox told Smith she would get her sneakers so they could go to the emergency room. By the time she returned, Smith was unresponsive. She called 911."

Somehow I don't think "get my shoes" took an hour.

• Options

Daughter wakes mother>

"Smith woke her mother the night of her death, complaining of shortness of breath, Cox said. Cox told Smith she would get her sneakers so they could go to the emergency room. By the time she returned, Smith was unresponsive. She called 911."

Somehow I don't think "get my shoes" took an hour.

Nine times out of ten you are absolutely correct.

The other occasion you can have anything from the mother falling asleep again, taking her time or preoccupying herself due to a perceived lack of urgency to what I can most kindly describe as the "relaxed" attitude family members have toward love ones they see as having burdensome health issues.

Again I'm not saying any of this is one hundred percent the case, just that this is in no way a well written or investigated article because no investigation has taken place. It's a relaying of allegations that support a narrative the writer wants to push forward - a narrative that has merit, but is not served by this piece.

For what it's worth I couldn't find any sort of follow-up on this case if anyone has come across one.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Giggles_Funsworth was warned for this.
    You always try this hard to cast doubt on a victim's story, or only when it involves queers?

So It Goes on
  • Options
    You always try this hard to cast doubt on a victim's story, or only when it involves queers?

I read the article and said to myself "This could be any of a dozen calls I've been on in the last few years." The actions on any of those calls never taken in the spirit of any bigotry I could discern. Sometimes people are beyond helping in these situations.

I've been on those forums a long time and working to better understand and empathize with people from other walks of life is a big reason why I stick around.

If you're going to go through the trouble of calling me bigoted towards the queer community though, please put a little more effort in.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I read the article and said to myself "This could be any of a dozen calls I've been on in the last few years." The actions on any of those calls never taken in the spirit of any bigotry I could discern. Sometimes people are beyond helping in these situations.

I've been on those forums a long time and working to better understand and empathize with people from other walks of life is a big reason why I stick around.

If you're going to go through the trouble of calling me bigoted towards the queer community though, please put a little more effort in.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were an operator with personal experience and not just reframing the story to cast doubt on whether malicious behavior was benign. It's something I've been responding to way too much lately as it's a favored tactic of the Alt-Right. Sometimes things fit a pattern that they actually don't, thank you for responding so graciously.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I would say that the healthcare business side of the industry has spent a long time overselling the miracle of our medical system, while the actual caregivers have been put in a position of having to live up to the magical near flawless image that's been imprinted on the general public. It's especially true for emergency personnel in the field and those who work in the acute care settings within hospitals. People have wild expectations of ER and surgical departments. A good number of people want to be completely fixed or pain free and have a very hard time understanding that sometimes that's something we can't do.

The only window into ambulances or hospitals has typically been television drama. The "Real Stories" type shows are heavily embellished and often show amazing resolutions to illnesses that are common and easy to treat or a heavily scripted miracle. Literally every scene of every operating room in every show or movie I've EVER SEEN gets some if not all of it entirely wrong.

The single biggest thing I wish we could do for healthcare is stop selling it. As long as the industry relies on messaging campaigns and convincing people how awesome it is, we can't ever really expect the business side of the industry to be honest about how it works.

It would be nice if we taught people CPR in high school because CPR is hard fucking work but it would save lives. (though to be fair, not as many as television would lead you to believe)

Edit: For the entire opening scene of Doctor Strange all I could think was, "For fucks sake. How does Marvel not even casually ask someone from any hospital anywhere how an operating room works?"

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz, demonstrating that he'll always be a collosal piece of shit, wants to use 2019's reconciliation bill to again try to repeal Obamacare.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/370524-cruz-pushes-to-revisit-obamacare-repeal-this-year

Murkowski has already signaled she thinks it's a waste of time.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Ted Cruz, demonstrating that he'll always be a collosal piece of shit, wants to use 2019's reconciliation bill to again try to repeal Obamacare.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/370524-cruz-pushes-to-revisit-obamacare-repeal-this-year

Murkowski has already signaled she thinks it's a waste of time.

God. I forgot this congress gets another bite at that apple.
    "I don't think leadership is interested in going down this road again until we can get 50 votes
    Oh, you think?
    "I think we're still quite close."
    Only two to go! Stay focused, champ, I believe in you.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    With McCain's health fading, perhaps they have a chance, because I sincerely doubt he will be well enough to spectacularly vote against it like last time.

• Options
    If they wanted to do it they would have to do it right around election time. The month before the election is not the time to try and do something incredibly unpopular. Afterwards would be hideously unethical if they lose a wave election.

So let's just pencil that in for mid-November, shall we?

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If they wanted to do it they would have to do it right around election time. The month before the election is not the time to try and do something incredibly unpopular. Afterwards would be hideously unethical if they lose a wave election.

So let's just pencil that in for mid-November, shall we?

I guess they could do it *now* - it's not as if they generally value a nicely written bill with all the i's dotted and t's crossed. Something Ted Cruz wrote on the back of the receipt for his withered soul would do. On the plus side, it'd distract Democrats from the immigration kerfuffle.

This discussion has been closed.