As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Giant Bomb Thread

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    America is entirely too capitalist for self driving cars to ever take over en masse

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    NeoToma wrote: »
    America is entirely too capitalist for self driving cars to ever take over en masse

I would argue that this is exactly the reason that self-driving vehicles will take over, and the foothold they'll first gain will be interstate shipping. Truck drivers are going to be the next major American workforce put out of a job by automation

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nothing about Uber surviving made sense to me until i saw it framed as a huge grift to destroy public transportation and replace it with private monopolies

Self driving cars don't have to be implemented in a a fashion with similar ends but if people aren't on their toes in a way that i haven't seen in my lifetime they will be

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...after Dark Souls and Mon Hun I can't help to think that TW3 combat sucks. But then I feel so bad ass after downing three potions, dodging all around, Axiing that guy, Aarding this other guy (and killing him instantly while he's down) and parrying that other guy while throwing Bombs everywhere.

So, after hearing Vinny talk about it, is he right that Assassin's Creed Origins is Witcher 3 with better combat? I might have to buy that game if it's true.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    I love driving

I'm genuinely worried thst driving yourself will be outlawed at some point in my lifetime

In your lifetime maybe

But like, probably after you no longer drive

Well yeah because he'd have a self-driving car.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    The insurance industry is super excited for self-driving cars, because while there are still questions to work out about who is liable in the event of an accident, there will also be so many fewer accidents the more people are removed from the equation. I expect one big driving force behind the switch to more widespread automation will be much cheaper insurance for self-driving cars and much more expensive insurance for manually driven ones. You’ll be allowed to drive yourself, but you’ll pay for the privilege.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Self driving cars will definitely be mandatory one day and it will definitely happen before many people can afford them.

At some point in the future the working poor will have to shell out a bunch of money they don't really have to retrofit their regular vehicles with a self driving system.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Honestly I no longer trust statements like "self driving cars have only been responsible for accidents they were involved in once"

The people doing those studies are the same people with a vested interest in getting them to market, is there any guarantee that forces them to play fair when reaching those results? Because if not then like, it's not even a question, they're fudging the numbers that's what people do

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Honestly I no longer trust statements like "self driving cars have only been responsible for accidents they were involved in once"

The people doing those studies are the same people with a vested interest in getting them to market, is there any guarantee that forces them to play fair when reaching those results? Because if not then like, it's not even a question, they're fudging the numbers that's what people do

It’s not about fudging numbers, the media is all over any reported accident involving a self-driving car and in every case I’ve seen except one they go for the attention grabbing “Self-driving car in accident” headline and then you read the article and it was someone running into it while it was stopped at a light or something similar”

Newspapers love “technology is scary” stories, if self-driving cars start causing a bunch of accidents that will be all over the front pages

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHdCvKAD80

I hadn't seen this edited down before but it is pretty good

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dan and Abby are the perfect pair to make both Vinny and Alex very uncomfortable. Dan because he doesn't know anything but will ask a question about it, and Abby appears to have no filter/shame. Between all four of them it makes for a pretty great dynamic.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

It’s not about fudging numbers, the media is all over any reported accident involving a self-driving car and in every case I’ve seen except one they go for the attention grabbing “Self-driving car in accident” headline and then you read the article and it was someone running into it while it was stopped at a light or something similar”

Newspapers love “technology is scary” stories, if self-driving cars start causing a bunch of accidents that will be all over the front pages

Additionally, you have insurance stuff to deal with in an accident and these cars are basically recording devices on wheels. It's very easy to pull out sensor data as well as what the car was actuvely doing at the time of the accident, and determine fault from there.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Man...after Dark Souls and Mon Hun I can't help to think that TW3 combat sucks. But then I feel so bad ass after downing three potions, dodging all around, Axiing that guy, Aarding this other guy (and killing him instantly while he's down) and parrying that other guy while throwing Bombs everywhere.

So, after hearing Vinny talk about it, is he right that Assassin's Creed Origins is Witcher 3 with better combat? I might have to buy that game if it's true.

No, it's not. It is more like the Witcher than previous ones but it is a shadow of the Witcher in terms of style and character and vibe and voice acting and story and quest design...all that shit Witcher 3 does so well.

As for combat being better, it depends. It's closer to a Souls style but you can still mash it out quite a bit and you've got some tricks up your sleeve but it's not the rpg direction Witcher is. I don't hate W3's combat like the rest of the internet and Origins just kind of felt like Souls-lite.

It's a good game but I didn't go apeshit for it like a lot of others did. Byak is pretty cool, though.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I just want to play as Aya more.

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Xehalus on
  • Options
    Geez them only having red coin challenges for this sunshine video is really stressing me out. I'm going to have to watch the rest in smaller chunks.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Self driving buses tho

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if this self-driving bus goes under 60 MPH, the bomb will explode!

SPEED 2025

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    You know what...everyone talks about the Bloody Baron in the Witcher 3. No way, Dijkstra is the man. Holy shit I love whenever that guy shows up. He is a guy I LOVE to hate.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    About 40% of the Craigslist jobs in my region are listed under transportation. When automation replaces that industry this area is going to go up in flames.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    You know what...everyone talks about the Bloody Baron in the Witcher 3. No way, Dijkstra is the man. Holy shit I love whenever that guy shows up. He is a guy I LOVE to hate.

I think people talk about the Bloody Baron because of the tragedy, not because he's someone you love to hate? Dijkstra is fun though, yeah

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I think some people talk about the Bloody Baron because at the point they stopped playing he was the standout character

I have been much less enamored of him and his plotline on my second playthrough

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Yeah people talked about bloody baron because he was early on

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Could be...I just checked my hours played an it reads 30 hours. TW3 is a strange game. Just like Skyrim or BOTW you just keep going because the worlds are so good and easy to lose yourself into. But 30 hours is a lot to ask. Even back when I was a teen, a game like Xenogears felt too damn long at hour 60.

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Could be...I just checked my hours played an it reads 30 hours. TW3 is a strange game. Just like Skyrim or BOTW you just keep going because the worlds are so good and easy to lose yourself into. But 30 hours is a lot to ask. Even back when I was a teen, a game like Xenogears felt too damn long at hour 60.

Oh, dawg.

Unless you do nothing but main quest missions, you're looking at 70+. Witcher is a long goddamn game. Probably too long, fuck you Dandelion.

I did all main missions, monster hunts, good side quests (not treasure hunts and races and such, the ones with stories) for the main game plus both dlcs and was at probably 120 hours? And that's with constant abuse of the fast travel.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    -Tal wrote: »
    Self driving buses tho

Yeah, self-driving cars mask the real issue for me which is the complete and near-deliberate lack of reliable public transit nationwide

Self-driving cars don't solve infrastructural problems - heck they don't even put a band-aid on them, they just make the band-aid more expensive to fuck over the less well-off even more: insurance costs for people who don't have self-driving cars likely go skyrocketing, there is a continued lack of impetus for govt to invest in public transit (not just buses but subways/light rail/etc), suburban sprawl and white flight continues which in turn contributes to the utter reliance on a personal vehicle, etc etc

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Owning a self driving car seems like a bit of a waste. Just tell an app when I want to go and at that time a self driving car shows up and then drives me where I want to go, then while i'm there goes off on its business. Then when I want to go home another self driving car shows up and brings me home then leaves to help other people.

• Options
    Gps can't do backroads

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Not yet. But we also don't have fleets of self driving cars.

By the time we do we'll probably have better GPS.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Clearly we should just make those tubes from Futurama.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I do wonder how Google, Amazon etc.. are going to solve the pissed off trucker problem. There are going to be a lot of people with no job and an axe to grind looking to fuck up some self driving trucks.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    Cops

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    I do wonder how Google, Amazon etc.. are going to solve the pissed off trucker problem. There are going to be a lot of people with no job and an axe to grind looking to fuck up some self driving trucks.

AI-controlled defensive measures on the trucks. Fast-track that shit, end humanity

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Cops

Honestly I think the cops would probably just look the other way in a lot of cases. As has been said, automation will tear a lot of communities apart. People aren't gonna be happy.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    never underestimate the police's capacity for standing with the wealthy and powerful no matter what

• Options
    - police
    + Amazon prime™ enforcers

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    As a pizza delivery driver I'd be fine with the automated cars idea crashing and burning

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Don't worry, pizza delivery drivers will instead become high-tech street samurai in souped-up cars, like the Deliverator from Snow Crash

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yeah if you live in a big city with decent public transport it's probably smarter and easier to not drive.

If you do not it is very tough to get around without driving.

I think New York City might be the only city that fits this description in the US, and even then "decent" is relative

I know I'm late but I just want to say dear god, is it ever relative

The MTA is the worst and I would rather have a daily root canal than a daily commute with them

Unfortunately I have the latter

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Driving/parking is just as bad in NYC, so really you're screwed either way, but at least a metropass is cheaper than a car.

Same in boston. Driving, and finding a place to park, is such a horrible experience, even if the T is hardly an improvement.

This discussion has been closed.