As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics: They're Metal

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    he likes trunks, they're comfy and easy to wear

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Has anyone tried seeing what Supes would look like with red pants?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    https://youtu.be/9AdleaLdlLQ

New Age of DC Heroes is getting a TV ad campaign

I assume there will probably be a second version with the Immortal Men/New Challengers/Brimstone/Unexpected

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Too bad the direct market exists so tv campaigns mean almost nothing

• Options
    Keith wrote: »
    Digital sales, I guess?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    How long do we think until the direct market outright implodes?

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    wrong thread

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Digital sales, I guess?

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    So many creative teams. Is it a giant multi-story thing?

Yeah it's probably gonna be a 10 dollar book like the Holiday special

100+ pages, bound with a spine, the whole shebang

From the earlier anouncement:
    It will be published on 17th April 2018 as Action Comics #1000: 80 Years of Superman, a 168 page hardcover volume, for $29.99 US or $39.99 Canadian.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    So many creative teams. Is it a giant multi-story thing?

Yeah it's probably gonna be a 10 dollar book like the Holiday special

100+ pages, bound with a spine, the whole shebang

From the earlier anouncement:
    It will be published on 17th April 2018 as Action Comics #1000: 80 Years of Superman, a 168 page hardcover volume, for $29.99 US or $39.99 Canadian.
    Nope, that's different. That's a separate collection they are releasing at the same time. Action Comics #1000 is confirmed to be 80 pages and cost 6.99

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    24rahqlkoucu.jpg
    Oh fuck yes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    BATMAN #45
    Written by TOM KING • Art by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA • Cover by TONY S. DANIEL • Variant cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “THE TRAVELERS” part one! Booster Gold has come to Gotham City, and he’s enlisting Batman and Catwoman to go on a time-traveling mission to rescue…Booster Gold! It seems a younger Booster Gold has gone back in time to kidnap an even younger version of himself, and to rescue his own past, Booster must pursue both of his previous incarnations through Batman’s history to find out what is going on. The start of a new story that will sow the seeds for a whole new epic to come—and also the return of Master Class artist Tony S. Daniel (DAMAGE) to BATMAN!

Yes give me Tom King Batman and Booster Gold.

Looks like Tony Daniel is off of Damage and JRjr is off Silencer? I thought the whole thing about New Age of Heroes is that the artists are the big deal, so I wonder what happened there (not that I'll miss JRjr)

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    24rahqlkoucu.jpg
    Oh fuck yes

as long as Deathstroke doesn't show up in a super-tank

• Options
    BATMAN #45
    Written by TOM KING • Art by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA • Cover by TONY S. DANIEL • Variant cover by OLIVIER COIPEL
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.
    “THE TRAVELERS” part one! Booster Gold has come to Gotham City, and he’s enlisting Batman and Catwoman to go on a time-traveling mission to rescue…Booster Gold! It seems a younger Booster Gold has gone back in time to kidnap an even younger version of himself, and to rescue his own past, Booster must pursue both of his previous incarnations through Batman’s history to find out what is going on. The start of a new story that will sow the seeds for a whole new epic to come—and also the return of Master Class artist Tony S. Daniel (DAMAGE) to BATMAN!

Yes give me Tom King Batman and Booster Gold.

Looks like Tony Daniel is off of Damage and JRjr is off Silencer? I thought the whole thing about New Age of Heroes is that the artists are the big deal, so I wonder what happened there (not that I'll miss JRjr)
    We already know Ivan Reis is tagging out with Doc Shaner on the second arc of Terrifics so I am assuming they will have rotating art teams

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Apparently Deathstroke vs. Batman is taking place in the Deathstroke ongoing, but is intentionally stand alone for new readers to jump on. The plot has Slade and Bruce fighting over Damian, after Bruce receives seemingly ironclad DNA evidence that Slade is Damian's actual father.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The only exposure I have to Priest's Deathstroke is from the holiday special and I don't know if I want to read a book about that dude
    Especially if it's about the topic of fatherhood in any way

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The only exposure I have to Priest's Deathstroke is from the holiday special and I don't know if I want to read a book about that dude

Deathstroke-Rebirth-1-Dylux_Page_05.jpg

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    He wrote a super novel a while ago, before he got into comics, and I've really been meaning to ready it

I think its called A Once Crowded Sky

I can send you my copy if you'd like, it's really fucking good.

• Options
    I really recommend you try the first trade at least

It's dark as fuck and I don't blame you if it doesn't land or is too fucked

But it's one of the absolute best books around right now and by far the boldest, most experimental book coming out from Marvel and DC proper right now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Deathstroke has been amazing. It's not for everyone, but the writing is top notch.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

But it's one of the absolute best books around right now and by far the boldest, most experimental book coming out from Marvel and DC proper right now

I wouldn't say most experimental (I'd give that to Young Animal or Mister Miracle), but it's definitely different than most superhero comics.

Priest writes Deathstroke as a terrible man that knows he's a terrible person and accepts it. Slade is usually the narrator and you're never sure if you can trust what he's saying.

I don't remember the Deathstroke holiday story, but the main book is definitely worth checking out. I could definitely see it being a TV (mini) series

• Options

I wouldn't say most experimental (I'd give that to Young Animal or Mister Miracle), but it's definitely different than most superhero comics.

Priest writes Deathstroke as a terrible man that knows he's a terrible person and accepts it. Slade is usually the narrator and you're never sure if you can trust what he's saying.

I don't remember the Deathstroke holiday story, but the main book is definitely worth checking out. I could definitely see it being a TV (mini) series
    See I consider Young Animal, like, a sub brand rather than DC itself which is why I said DC Proper

It is absolutely not as insane as Doom Patrol or Cave Carson

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    or literally any of the Hannah Barbera things

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    My girlfriend has the first 3 volumes of Moore's Swamp Thing so I sat down and read the first one and

Huh

Turns out Alan Moore was real good at writing comic books at one point, huh

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    I think Moore’s entire run of Swamp Thing is excellent. Nice mix of subtle horror and philosophy. I will agree that the last few issues get weird, but tells a story of Alec trying to get home.

Also plant sex

• Options
    I also love the recurring theme of the Justice League showing up in early Vertigo stuff to mostly go OH JEEZ THIS IS ALL WEIRD BULLSHIT WHAT DO WE DO OH JEEZ

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    My girlfriend has the first 3 volumes of Moore's Swamp Thing so I sat down and read the first one and

Huh

Turns out Alan Moore was real good at writing comic books at one point, huh

While I enjoyed his major works when I read them, the DC trade of Alan Moore stories (one or two issue stories from various comics) is my favorite. I can appreciate his talent and what he's done for comics, but I prefer him with more editorial restraint

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "There is a house above the world where the overpeople gather."

• Options
    So Doomsday Clock #3 had 2 big reveals. I liked one a lot and am...apprehensive about the other one.
    New Rorschach is just a random kid who survived the attack on NYC by Veidt, not the newspaper kid or Rorschach's psychiatrist as many were guessing.

The other is that Doctor Manhattan appears to have made a duplicate of The Comedian and brought him into the DCU immediately after his death in Watchmen. If that's all there is to it then NOPE BAD but I expect there is more going on.

Also for the whole ITS DOCTOR MANHATTAN CLASHING WITH SUPERMAN FOR THE SOUL OF THE DCU boy we have gotten very little Superman so far

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So Doomsday Clock #3 had 2 big reveals. I liked one a lot and am...apprehensive about the other one.
    New Rorschach is just a random kid who survived the attack on NYC by Veidt, not the newspaper kid or Rorschach's psychiatrist as many were guessing.

The other is that Doctor Manhattan appears to have made a duplicate of The Comedian and brought him into the DCU immediately after his death in Watchmen. If that's all there is to it then NOPE BAD but I expect there is more going on.

Also for the whole ITS DOCTOR MANHATTAN CLASHING WITH SUPERMAN FOR THE SOUL OF THE DCU boy we have gotten very little Superman so far
    there's definitely something more going on with The Comedian. Doomsday Clock takes place "twelve months ahead of the current DC Universe" (said before it started getting delayed) so I think every little piece is deliberate

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Shoulda figured Doomsday Clock gets delayed

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

He can use the
    Comedian then return him to the point of impact retaining the time line.

• Options

He can use the
    That's still
    altering the actual events of Watchmen

I am totally fine with it being a sequel to Watchmen

I do not like it changing things in the story itself

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

He can use the
    That's still

it's not altering the story of Watchmen st all.
    All of it took place years before Doomsday Clock, so the Comedian still dies at the beginning of Watchmen. Him appearing in the future in the DCU doesn't affect his death in the Watchmen universe

• Options

He can use the
    That's still

All of it took place years before Doomsday Clock, so the Comedian still dies at the beginning of Watchmen. Him appearing in the future in the DCU doesn't affect his death in the Watchmen universe
    Even if he dies in the same exact way, having it changed to "Comedian actually got yanked into the DCU for a while and got up to hijinks there before getting thrown back into the Watchmen timeline to fall to his death" is absolutely changing Watchmen for me

It

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

He can use the
    That's still

Even if he dies in the same exact way, having it changed to "Comedian actually got yanked into the DCU for a while and got up to hijinks there before getting thrown back into the Watchmen timeline to fall to his death" is absolutely changing Watchmen for me

It

I read what you posted as
    literally making a new comedian that is a copy of the old one, not saving or yanking the old one or anything

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

He can use the
    That's still

It

I read what you posted as
    literally making a new comedian that is a copy of the old one, not saving or yanking the old one or anything
    We don't know the specifics yet

All that has happened is it showed Comedian falling to his death and then blacking out and waking up in Metropolis with Manhattan

So either he made a copy or yanked him out of the timeline and will put him right back to ensure Watchmen still happens

If it is the former, okay sure whatever, if it is the latter I am not a fan. Hence my apprehension.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I don't see the difference:
    Manhattan can probably copy The Comedian down to the atom. What's the difference between the orginal and a perfect copy? To me there is none.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well, ones like fifty something and the other is a brand new copy, so there's a difference of seniority at least

• Options
    I don't see the difference:
    Manhattan can probably copy The Comedian down to the atom. What's the difference between the orginal and a perfect copy? To me there is none.
    I don't care about the accuracy of the copy

If he makes a copy, it means Watchmen still happened exactly as it is presented noe

If he doesn't and yanks Blake out of the timeline and then puts him back, it changes what happened in Watchmen, even if it doesn't impact how the story itself progresses

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.