Options

[Warframe] thread. Gonna make sweet love to my Corinth.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Okay, I finished the tutorial and beat up For, and now Lotus is all, "there's about a million things to do, make your own path, Lotus Out."

I feel like that old PA strip about the first Mass Effect game, told to swim in an ocean of possibility - and it's all a bit overwhelming.

I bought a better AR, slotted a couple of mods, and turned the rest into ... 'endo' I think? I also bought a bundle of 25 scanners because I noticed some objects in the early levels that required them.

I watched a video recently that suggested working towards a Rhino 'frame - is that still good advice?

The way mastery rank works you need to constantly craft new frames, weapons, companions, etc. Each time you level something it works towards mastery. It will take many different things to get that mastery up.

I just got mastery 7 myself, still novice really.

As for specific frames you gotta kind of try them out to know if you like them or not. Rhino was ok power wise, but I did not seem to have fun using it much compared to a few others I've tried.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Corrosive Projection alert just popped! Hurry!

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Rhino's a good first frame. You get his blueprints farming the boss on Venus, and all the resources required are accessible fairly early. He's also a tank that has some pretty nifty Crowd Control and can buff the damage output of the squad, so he scales really well too.

Beyond that, a few things the game should really tell you, but doesn't:

-Save your starting platinum for slots. Until you hit MR 2 and can trade (non-starter platinum is tradable, and the primary currency for trading) the only way to get more plat is by buying it, but you will almost certainly use up your starting inventory space before then, which will also be too early to make an honest judgement on whether you like the game enough to invest real $ into it or not.

-Unlocking Junctions to reach new planets is your primary progression goal other than raising your MR (more on that later) First real goal is reaching Jupiter, the first place where you can farm Neural Senors, which are used in pretty much every single Warframe, including all the ones that you will find before then that is not Rhino or Gara. After that you can slow down a bit and work on unlocking every mission node as well (which will unlock Nightmare missions on that planet, which reward unique rare mods), but the more planets you unlock, the more places you can farm and do alerts at.

-You should always bring something to level in every mission. Mastery Rank, or MR, is you account level, and higher MR brings many nice things, like unlocking the ability to use new weapons, increasing the number of trades you can do and faction standing you can earn per day, and best of all, sets the floor on the base mod capacity of all your gear (I.E. if you are MR 5, everything you have below that is below rank 5 will have the mod capacity they would have if they were rank 5). Primary way of earning affinity towards MR is to level stuff to 30 for the first time, and if you aren't leveling something new, you are not increasing your MR.

-You should also always bring something you know can kill anything you might run into, especially since "anything" includes the Stalker, a mini-boss that can spawn during almost any mission after you have killed a boss and received a cryptic message in your mailbox. Considering beating him means a chance at some unique weapons, you'd rather kill him before he kills you.

-Mods and proper mod builds are critical to not having everything become a bullet sponge at late levels. Once that starts happening to you, suggest you read a write-up I did on how mods builds normally go (if you read it now, you might black out from the sheer amount of info there, even though you probably won't need most of it until Saturn/Uranus)

-Finally, join the PA guild/Alliance of your platform of choice. We're all pretty friendly, happy to help, and most of us vets have tons of spare "must have" mods (like an undamaged Serration and the basic elemental mods) that we are more than happy to give once you can trade.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I have to try trading out. I dont wamt to toss either of my current frames but have no plat.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    navgoose wrote: »
    I have to try trading out. I dont wamt to toss either of my current frames but have no plat.

Best newbie-level trading would be random common prime parts that people sell for ducats to buy stuff from Baro Ki'teer. Best time is usually the week before Baro shows up, when people are thinking about whatever new thing he might have. It will still take several trades of 5 parts before you get enough for a warframe slot (I think the highest WTB I've seen is 8 plat for 5, so you're still talking 3 trades for a slot), but it's pretty hassle free as there is no need to haggle and it's about the only reasonable thing you could sell for plat until you can farm full Prime sets, desirable Corrupted Mods and augments/weapons from the syndicates.

...and for those other things, you should really check warframe.market out. Even if you don't actually use it for trading, it will give you an idea of what the current price for stuff is to make sure you aren't getting scammed by someone when trading.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Prime junk tends to cap out at around 11-13 plat on Baro weekends.

Always ask for at least ten during the week.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Gara components done. Gara is cooking.

Vote for Gara! Gara is for increased transparancy in the solar system! Gara's opponents say that Gara has done nothing about the invisible glass ceiling in Tenno politics, but Gara is all about shattering Glass ceilings!

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I've got to mine 30 of one more mineral before i can make the alloy so i can make the component, but getting into pub sessions in the plains is a lot of fun, because you just explore and find interesting fishing spots and compare your catches. And sometimes they run those small events while you just sit back and fish and you get to share their reward.

• Options
    I like the lore of the cetus tower

• Options
    You know you're addicted to Fashionframe when you spend real money just to have Equinox be symmetrical in her Day and Night forms.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I recently got 4 new frames, and gara is soon to be on the way, and i've got frost at level 17 now, but gosh. Levelling up frames from 0, especially when you don't have a bunch of potatoes is a bit rough. Just takes a bit longer than you want, and all your cool powers aren't even all that good yet.

Just starts to feel like work.

• Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    I recently got 4 new frames, and gara is soon to be on the way, and i've got frost at level 17 now, but gosh. Levelling up frames from 0, especially when you don't have a bunch of potatoes is a bit rough. Just takes a bit longer than you want, and all your cool powers aren't even all that good yet.

I'm not a vet by any means but once I found a weapon I really liked, I just got it to max (and forma'd it a few times: depends on the weapon and your willingness to use forma) and then bearly noticed leveling other weapons and frames.

I find that if I have a weapon that can deal decent damage then leaching xp from other people on defence and excavation missions in the inner system levels things up at a decent rate.

Speaking of weapons. I said I don't like shotties in Warframe. Tried the Sobek as someone mentioned to a new player a month or two ago.

Was really fun.

Started wondering why I had hated them. Saw a level 4 Strun in my Armoury and equiped it.

Is it just me or is that a really bad weapon?
    It has a small magasin and seems to have to be cocked between each shot.
    Got it to level 17 and had to go back to my beloved Opticor to cleance myself.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Nekros Prime out the oven, Mirage Prime going in. Nice. Also a sliver of xp away from MR 12, when all the fun toys come out to play.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    it's annoying because most frames don't seem to be effective and therefore all that fun until level 30, or at least until you add a potato. And i can skip out on playing with frames that aren't all that fun (I've got a levelled nyx, but am probably never going to touch it again), but you just don't end up really knowing until you put a while into getting them into working order.

I guess i'm just near the endgame slump where i've finished the war within, and got some things leveled up and got some mainstays, but i'm having a hard time boosting most of my stuff past being able to easily fight level 30 enemies, and still being able to maybe handle level 40 enemies, because I need to get corrupted mods or whatever the negative ones are called, and all the bosses that I could fight now require resources to attempt, and it's just starting to feel like a slog to improve my frames and weapons and whatnot.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    NoughtNought Registered User regular
    Sorry, you're way past me :)

Somehow got the impression you were newer than that.

Ignore all advice from me.

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Nought wrote: »
    Sorry, you're way past me :)

Somehow got the impression you were newer than that.

Ignore all advice from me.

It's not really bad advice, though. That's where I am, roundabouts (finishing up the star map, fighting mid 30's and 40's on the reg). I don't much care what frame I'm using so long as I'm using the Soma Prime (Forma'd it... 3 times now? 4? Hard to say) Kills pretty much everything at that level without any worries. Modded it for crit, splashed in some elements, and headshots all day solve a lot of problems. I don't have the optimal mods for it. Nothing corrupted. Not even the double shot. But it still does work.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    it's annoying because most frames don't seem to be effective and therefore all that fun until level 30, or at least until you add a potato. And i can skip out on playing with frames that aren't all that fun (I've got a levelled nyx, but am probably never going to touch it again), but you just don't end up really knowing until you put a while into getting them into working order.

I guess i'm just near the endgame slump where i've finished the war within, and got some things leveled up and got some mainstays, but i'm having a hard time boosting most of my stuff past being able to easily fight level 30 enemies, and still being able to maybe handle level 40 enemies, because I need to get corrupted mods or whatever the negative ones are called, and all the bosses that I could fight now require resources to attempt, and it's just starting to feel like a slog to improve my frames and weapons and whatnot.

Fun gun helps a lot with leveling 'frames, @Nought isn't wrong there. There are several weapons, like the Tigris, Opticor, and Lenz, that are perfectly capable of murderfucking anything you might run into outside of sorties without the rarest mods. Don't discount melee weapons either; All you need is a Blood Rush (of which I have spares, if you missed the Acolytes) Drifting Contact and a decent crit chance and you will slaughter anything that gets close with a build that takes significantly fewer forma than most shooty builds.

Don't feel like you have to spend all your time in high-level missions either. My first levels for any new or forma'd 'frame are never earned at Akkad or Hydron, but Helene on Saturn, spy missions where killing is optional, or some mid-level Syndicate mission/PoE bounty where what I can slot with the starting capacity is enough to keep me alive and actually kill stuff. Once I feel like I can actually do things with my abilities, then I move up to Eris and Sedna. With weapons, you might consider leveling a second copy of Serration and Hornet Strike to rank 5 or 6 so you can slot something right from the start.

If you need Corrupted Mods, craft a set of the Dragon Keys (BPs found in the Orokin Lab in the Dojo) and check the LFG channel for Derelict Vault runs, there is almost always a group going. And ask in Clan/Alliance too; I know personally I still need a Transient Fortitude to finish several of the builds I want to do, and I bet others are missing one or two must-haves as well.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    My Hek carries me through Sedna and Eris missions, the trick is figuring out how to survive, because your damage can easily outpace your ability to survive.

That said, it isn’t all about running Rhino. There is a lot to be done as a player to stay alive.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    bought the new Oberon Tennogen helm

I don't even play Oberon that often anymore

but that helmet though

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    ok, thanks for the tip about the recruiting channel, this feels a lot better get groups

• Options
    Nought wrote: »

I'm not a vet by any means but once I found a weapon I really liked, I just got it to max (and forma'd it a few times: depends on the weapon and your willingness to use forma) and then bearly noticed leveling other weapons and frames.

I find that if I have a weapon that can deal decent damage then leaching xp from other people on defence and excavation missions in the inner system levels things up at a decent rate.

Speaking of weapons. I said I don't like shotties in Warframe. Tried the Sobek as someone mentioned to a new player a month or two ago.

Was really fun.

Started wondering why I had hated them. Saw a level 4 Strun in my Armoury and equiped it.

Is it just me or is that a really bad weapon?
    It has a small magasin and seems to have to be cocked between each shot.
    Got it to level 17 and had to go back to my beloved Opticor to cleance myself.

Strun is a newbie weapon (it can be bought. Of the market. For credits). It should be compared to the basic Braton to judge its utility. Strun Wraith needs mods to work beyond low tier (It's either 100% Status or go home).

Most slow-firing shotguns need punch through to shine, and that includes the Tigris (without it you'll frequently feel overwhelmed). It's hard to feel overwhelmed when you can wipe the screen of enemies (even more so with Vicious Spread). The Corinth is an exception, because whenever you feel a need to wipe the screen you send off an airburst grenade.
    If you liked the Sobek, do run Kela de Thaym a few times to get Acid shells (every enemy killed explodes in bursts of acid).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    Sev was messing with Equinox, so I dusted mine off. Monkey see. Monkey do. I didn't understand her abilities first time around. I tried focus farming with her, which was fidgety in a way I didn't enjoy. And I tried running around with her like Ember. She's not Ember. And I tried using her AoE release like a DPS bomb. It never seemed to do much. Then I read on the wiki that the AoE release "diminishes with distance" so I modded up to 235% range (tanking duration pretty badly in the process). That fixed it, and Equinox is now a WMD.

Her routine is a bit involved. Here's as simple as I could make it.
    1. Get in Day form and start your 3. It buffs everyone's power strength, so this is kind of the default mode for Equinox anyway. A cool thing about her 3, it doesn't stop energy regen like most toggle abilities.
    2. Get as close to the enemy as you can, pop 4 and kill a couple high HP enemies. 4 stuns them, so you'll be safe for 5 seconds or so (barring nullifiers of course). If you kill the biggest ones, you'll bank enough damage to kill the smaller ones when you release.
    3. Hit 4 again and watch a hole appear around you on your enemy radar. If anything survives, it should probably be prioritized in the future. I was surprised to find that Grineer cat summoners have a ton of HP.

Here's the build for now. The augment they showed on stream will probably replace Intensify.
    jt1tv9q58pk9.jpg

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Do you have Animal Instinct? That'd free up Enemy Sense from your build (unless you want to be a Warframe AWACS), and Cunning Drift would give you another 15% range for the same drain (along with greater slide and lesser friction... is it getting hot in here or is it just me?).

I'm not familiar enough with Equinox's kit to suggest much more, as I have them but haven't spent much time on that particular frame, just the first thing that came to mind as I looked at your build.

I also double checked, and for those who want it but don't have it, Cunning Drift is currently sitting around 5-10 plat on the Marketplace, so it's very affordable with minimal farming.

My gut instinct is to try removing Vitality as well, but either it's necessary for the combo somehow, or useful while fighting things dangerous enough to really let the combo shine? So I'll just ignore that for now.

Edit: Ah, 2 Formas, yeah I'm not sure mine even has 1, so even if I wanted to play around, that might have to wait for a double exp event or a daily booster drop from login.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Warning. Augustus used to be a good place to get cryo. Now (for three night in a row, with multiple runs per night) it seems like it has become amateur hour.

Like. I've had runs where I was the only one running power cells or defending excavators, while the rest were running around like headless chickens.

• Options
    IzzimachIzzimach Fighter/Mage/Chef Registered User regular
    I always enjoy doing the Vor or Sargeant assassination sorties. By the time I've finished loading the boss is already dead. :rotate:

• Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Do you have Animal Instinct? That'd free up Enemy Sense from your build (unless you want to be a Warframe AWACS), and Cunning Drift would give you another 15% range for the same drain (along with greater slide and lesser friction... is it getting hot in here or is it just me?).
    Animal Instinct is always on unless the sentinel is new.

The model I'm experimenting with is Equinox as ambush nuke. From the time I pop 4, I've got at most five and a half seconds of stun to blow away the biggest enemies, penetrate the formation center, and explode. :winky: :? If I'm playing it safe, that goes down to four and a half seconds so that I can recast the stun. And that's with Natural Talent. Knowing the shape of the formation in advance tells me where to stand so I can see the most targets and where to detonate, so that's two fewer things I have to do under intense time pressure.

Forar wrote: »
    My gut instinct is to try removing Vitality as well, but either it's necessary for the combo somehow, or useful while fighting things dangerous enough to really let the combo shine?
    The latter. Without any survivability mods, a stiff breeze knocks her down. And bounties / wide open maps at high levels are no joke. Luckily she can cast 4 in the air, while gliding if the ceilings are low, so she's not a stationary target.

• Options
    playing around with Oberon, and i'm quite liking him. Also actually playing around with an actual build instead of just sticking on the same redirection, flow, vitality etc mods. Boosted the ability power up to 200%, plus an extra 25% more if I cast after dealing a status effect (pretty easy with the soma and all of my melee weapons) by doing some cursed mods and dropping redirection, and the efficiency mods. That's probably not much, but it's kinda fun. Probably pretty bad for doing solo missions since i'd just constantly be out of energy, but as a group thing it's pretty good.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Personally, I just turn on 4, wait until I notice the meter is at like... 100k+, and hit the splat button. Repeat.

Does work out pretty well when helping someone farm Nidus, since if you stand at one particular point, you baaaaaaasically cover the map, so just 4, spin to win with a Galatine, 4, repeat.

• Options
    huh, and here I though hallowed ground was the good one. Gotta slam some more I guess.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    huh, and here I though hallowed ground was the good one. Gotta slam some more I guess.

Oh, sorry, that's with Equinox. Hallowed Ground is... Um... I haven't used Oberon since they reworked him a bit. It seems good?

I just tend towards the "less subtle".

• Options
    edited January 2018
    dporowski wrote: »

Oh, sorry, that's with Equinox. Hallowed Ground is... Um... I haven't used Oberon since they reworked him a bit. It seems good?

I just tend towards the "less subtle".

Hallowed Ground is best for it's crowd control, the radiation procs will turn enemies and all the others start unloading on them and then get effected by it themselves.

I actually use all the abilities on Oberon, with the right build he gives out almost four hundred armour and eighty health regen a second. Orbs and slam are good for crowd control on large numbers of targets.

With Rage or Hunter's Adrenaline and Quick Thinking you become almost unkillable.
    0vqkz1ug09ey.jpg
    mnk9gciohle4.jpg

Kelor on
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Double XP weekend sometime this month supposedly.

Kelor on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I was pleased last night to get all three requisite blueprints for Rhino in just 3 Jackal kills - but then I discovered that the chassis requires plastids and a control module - neither of which seem to drop on Mercury, Venus, Earth or Mars. Same for a ... Neural something for the Fire Sword that Lotus gave me after the Once Awake missions.

This was all a bit disappointing, since the various getting started guides and videos I've checked out have indicated that I would have basically everything I needed to make a new Frame by now.

Can you vets direct me to a resource that indicates where different materials can be found/farmed?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    I was pleased last night to get all three requisite blueprints for Rhino in just 3 Jackal kills - but then I discovered that the chassis requires plastids and a control module - neither of which seem to drop on Mercury, Venus, Earth or Mars. Same for a ... Neural something for the Fire Sword that Lotus gave me after the Once Awake missions.

This was all a bit disappointing, since the various getting started guides and videos I've checked out have indicated that I would have basically everything I needed to make a new Frame by now.

Can you vets direct me to a resource that indicates where different materials can be found/farmed?

the first place plastids drop is phobos, but they drop faster in saturn if you can get there. neural sensors are a rare drop in jupiter (also from the boss of europa, but not elsewhere in europa) and in a spoilery location that i wont talk about but is way, way, way later than jupiter. you can ask for a taxi in recruiting if you dont fancy grinding up to those locations yourself.

funny thing is i remember having neural sensors when i started long before i reached jupiter - had to get to phobos for plastids but plenty of neural sensors. do you get them in vor's prize or something? have you already crafted something that might have used them?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »

the first place plastids drop is phobos, but they drop faster in saturn if you can get there. neural sensors are a rare drop in jupiter (also from the boss of europa, but not elsewhere in europa) and in a spoilery location that i wont talk about but is way, way, way later than jupiter. you can ask for a taxi in recruiting if you dont fancy grinding up to those locations yourself.

funny thing is i remember having neural sensors when i started long before i reached jupiter - had to get to phobos for plastids but plenty of neural sensors. do you get them in vor's prize or something? have you already crafted something that might have used them?

Did you start before or after star chart 2? They moved some planets around, changing things up early game a bit.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

if you are in the alliance chat, ask and you should be able to get someone to taxi you out to one of the planets. Unfortunately there's nowhere to get the resources by yourself. But, if you go along with the right person you can also get a heap of xp from all the higher level enemies that are dying everywhere.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular

Not sure it still works but try going to the warframe website and entering the code FREESWORD. It should give a fire sword with double mod space and weapon slot.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »

Not sure it still works but try going to the warframe website and entering the code FREESWORD. It should give a fire sword with double mod space and weapon slot.

I compiled up this list when I started out a little while ago:
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Also, for anyone else starting out (might be good to add to OP?), some promo codes I found and successfully added to my account:

Free Vectis(sniper) and Vectis Tekelu Skin
    FN6B-8RML-MLH6-GM2N

Glyphs:
    ADMIRALBAHROO
    BIKEMAN
    SP00NERISM
    PROFESSORBROMAN

Weapon:
    FREESWORD (Gives you a Heat_Sword with an Orokin_Catalyst on it and a weapon slot for it)

Unknown:
    IFLYNN
    TACTICALPOTATO
    MOGAMU
    SKILLUP
    ORIGINALWICKEDFUN

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

The code worked!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

The code worked!

Also, taxiing doesn't work the way it used to, but I'm sure if people are asserting in alliance chart would love to take you out and get you the drops you need. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't find someone to help you in recruiting channel either. The ratio of nice people to a holes in this game is Canadian.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
This discussion has been closed.