As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Russia/US Investigation thread] More indictments, Schiff memo released

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/nunes-refused-to-tell-house-intel-whats-next-for-his-doj-fbi-probe
    At a committee meeting on Monday evening, members voted unanimously to release a Democratic rebuttal to Nunes’ instantly-infamous memo, which alleged the FBI improperly sought authorization to surveil a former Trump campaign adviser. But while the vote was unanimous, the committee hearing was tense, according to multiple sources familiar with the proceedings.

Members on the committee wanted Nunes to provide additional detail on his efforts to investigate the DOJ and FBI—an inquiry Nunes first confirmed to Democrats last week, as his justification for denying Bureau and Justice officials a chance to detail their objections to the release of his memo. Nunes, according to sources familiar with the matter, declined to share details of that investigation with members.
    What possible justification could there be for this other than the investigation not actually existing?

I wish Paul Ryan would do his fucking job already and clean up this mess. When you have the chair of a committee withholding information from other members and acting alone in the duties of the committee, you don't have a committee anymore, you've got a lone dude abusing his power and making a giant clown show out of the process.

Not to mention what Devin Nines is doing...

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/nunes-refused-to-tell-house-intel-whats-next-for-his-doj-fbi-probe
    At a committee meeting on Monday evening, members voted unanimously to release a Democratic rebuttal to Nunes’ instantly-infamous memo, which alleged the FBI improperly sought authorization to surveil a former Trump campaign adviser. But while the vote was unanimous, the committee hearing was tense, according to multiple sources familiar with the proceedings.

Members on the committee wanted Nunes to provide additional detail on his efforts to investigate the DOJ and FBI—an inquiry Nunes first confirmed to Democrats last week, as his justification for denying Bureau and Justice officials a chance to detail their objections to the release of his memo. Nunes, according to sources familiar with the matter, declined to share details of that investigation with members.
    What possible justification could there be for this other than the investigation not actually existing?

I wish Paul Ryan would do his fucking job already and clean up this mess. When you have the chair of a committee withholding information from other members and acting alone in the duties of the committee, you don't have a committee anymore, you've got a lone dude abusing his power and making a giant clown show out of the process.

Paul Ryan does not care and agrees with the president. He is a ridiculous moron and right wing ideologue, just like Trump.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

Paul Ryan does not care and agrees with the president. He is a ridiculous moron and right wing ideologue, just like Trump.

Every other day or so, the Washington Post sends a desperate peal into the air with an Editorial Board op-ed directed at Paul Ryan, telling him to do his job, please

Meanwhile we all know Paul Ryan would hand the keys to the US Treasury to Putin himself if it allowed him to throw the poor into the sea

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    According to Politico the House Intelligence Committee have responded by summoning up all their courage and... postponing Bannon’s testimony for a week.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Every other day or so, the Washington Post sends a desperate peal into the air with an Editorial Board op-ed directed at Paul Ryan, telling him to do his job, please

Meanwhile we all know Paul Ryan would hand the keys to the US Treasury to Putin himself if it allowed him to throw the poor into the sea

Please resist the urge to wax Ryan-sophical every time his name is invoked. Stay on topic to the investigation.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    According to Politico the House Intelligence Committee have responded by summoning up all their courage and... postponing Bannon’s testimony for a week.

This is actually a good thing, as it doesn't trigger a crisis when they do invoke enforcement, or defang the committee when they don't. It's a week for him to figure out if that's really how he wants to play it.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    wasn't this the already delayed session?

• Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    I looked through the last couple of pages, and didn't see this mentioned.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/06/gowdy-blumenthal-steele-dossier-clinton-395929

Gowdy is implying that Sidney Blumenthal was a "source" for the Steele Dossier.

That hurts my head a little bit. Someone gave Blumenthal information, Blumenthal then gave that info to Steele.
    Why would Steele need stuff from Blumenthal? I'm sure he's got his own Russian sources to get info.

Someone they are going to tie this to Benghazi. At the least they're going to use the opportunity to bring it up again, and again... and again....

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Trump wants to talk to Mueller despite lawyers' concerns

From CNN. He really thinks he can just explain this away, doesn't he?

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Do iiiiiiiiiittt!

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

People far smarter than Trump fall into that trap.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    He won't do it. His self-preservation is the only instinct that can override his ego.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    No date yet, but NPR's "Embedded" podcast has announced that the next season is about Mueller's investigation.

EDIT: For those who haven't listened to it before, they dig really goddamn deep into their stories. Last season was entirely about Trump and his inner circle prior to his campaign, and there was some eye-opening shit in there.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Selner wrote: »
    I looked through the last couple of pages, and didn't see this mentioned.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/06/gowdy-blumenthal-steele-dossier-clinton-395929

Gowdy is implying that Sidney Blumenthal was a "source" for the Steele Dossier.

That hurts my head a little bit. Someone gave Blumenthal information, Blumenthal then gave that info to Steele.
    Why would Steele need stuff from Blumenthal? I'm sure he's got his own Russian sources to get info.

Someone they are going to tie this to Benghazi. At the least they're going to use the opportunity to bring it up again, and again... and again....
    To be fair, this is all he said on Blumenthal:
    "When you hear who the source, one of the sources, of that information is, you’re going to think 'oh my gosh. I've heard that name somewhere before. Where could it possibly have been?'" Gowdy said Tuesday.

"The foreign source?" MacCallum asked.

"The domestic source, and I'm trying to think how Secretary Clinton defined him. I think she said he was an old friend who emailed her from time to time," Gowdy said of the source.

"Sidney Blumenthal?" MacCallum asked.

"That'd be really warm. If you're warm, yeah," Gowdy answered.

Warm could merely refer to anyone in Clinton or State's orbit. Or he's just stirring the pot with the whole hinting game and it's no one anyone who hadn't memorized the Benghazi hearing minutes would recall.

The quote seems to say Steele got the info from a foreign source via State, so wouldn't the "domestic source" be someone who was in the State dept at the time?

Edit: Oh, and welcome back, Trey. Don't let the door hit you in Jan.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

I saw another article on CNN yesterday with Biden saying he didn't think Trump should talk to Mueller because he "has difficulty with precision." It was the kind of thing where if Trump ever saw it, he'd probably feel even more determined to talk to Mueller.

edit: the article I saw is here.

SteevL on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I saw another article on CNN yesterday with Biden saying he didn't think Trump should talk to Mueller because he "has difficulty with precision." It was the kind of thing where if Trump ever saw it, he'd probably feel even more determined to talk to Mueller.

It was an interview CNN had with Biden. They had a preview of it available before it ran, which I saw. And yeah, "difficulty with precision" was a very interesting way to word it. It's a good move though, I agree it will rattle Trump's cage.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »

It was an interview CNN had with Biden. They had a preview of it available before it ran, which I saw. And yeah, "difficulty with precision" was a very interesting way to word it. It's a good move though, I agree it will rattle Trump's cage.

"Please don't jump into that Briar Patch."

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It’d be even more effective if Obama were to goad him.

“Look, President Trump is a very busy man and can’t be expected to be precise in such a complex interview. Even I’d be challenged by such a task.”

Trump would then rush to Mueller to prove his penis is much biglier than Obama’s.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

“Look, President Trump is a very busy man and can’t be expected to be precise in such a complex interview. Even I’d be challenged by such a task.”

Trump would then rush to Mueller to prove his penis is much biglier than Obama’s.

The way you'd phrase it would actually be "President Trump I'm sure doesn't have the time to prepare for such a thing. I would have been fine doing it but Mr Trump has so much on his plate."

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

I think Colbert did that exactly that last night.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    For the killer blow: Hillary chimes in, pointing out how many investigations she went through and how not a big deal it was, but she's sure it might be a little too difficult for someone of Trump's age and health, so she'd understand if he didn't do it.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

Trump believes that he is the smartest man in the room where ever he goes and for the most part has skated away from any reprecussions from his debauchery, decadence and shoddy buisness practices for the better part of 5 decades.

Of course he's going to be stupid enough to think he can handle the T-800 of law enforcement.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    What if...what if he shows up to talk to Mueller and his team and is just like "Listen, guys, I'm in way over my head here. This all started as a joke that got away from me and I don't know how to get out of it. Please help."

Damn I just made myself really sad.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    What if...what if he shows up to talk to Mueller and his team and is just like "Listen, guys, I'm in way over my head here. This all started as a joke that got away from me and I don't know how to get out of it. Please help."

"OK, I'm willing to resign the Presidency as long as I can do so with some dignity. Who do I have to flip on, to avoid jail time?" - Trump, the negotiator.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

"OK, I'm willing to resign the Presidency as long as I can do so with some dignity. Who do I have to flip on, to avoid jail time?" - Trump, the negotiator.

"You want Pence, you can have him"

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »

"You want Junior, you can have him"

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »

"You want Junior, you can have him"
    "I'll give you everybody! You can have them! Just leave me Ivanka and Barron."
    "What about Tiffany?"
    "Who?"

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Yo this isn't an open mic thread

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/russians-penetrated-u-s-voter-systems-says-top-u-s-n845721
    Russians penetrated U.S. voter systems, says top U.S. official

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated." ...

"We were able to determine that the scanning and probing of voter registration databases was coming from the Russian government." ..

There is no evidence that any of the registration rolls were altered in any fashion, according to U.S. officials.

So they logged in, took a look around and politely logged out?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/russians-penetrated-u-s-voter-systems-says-top-u-s-n845721

In an exclusive interview with NBC News, Jeanette Manfra, the head of cybersecurity at the Department of Homeland Security, said she couldn't talk about classified information publicly, but in 2016, "We saw a targeting of 21 states and an exceptionally small number of them were actually successfully penetrated." ...

"We were able to determine that the scanning and probing of voter registration databases was coming from the Russian government." ..

There is no evidence that any of the registration rolls were altered in any fashion, according to U.S. officials.

Um...this seems like a situation where anything greater than zero is a failure state.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Isn't this old news or is it significant again in that DHS is confirming it now?

At any rate, even if they just looked around the problem is they have access and can potentially act in the future.

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

Um...this seems like a situation where anything greater than zero is a failure state.

It would take a small amount of votes in a small amount of states to change the election.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    That is very old news unless something significant changed.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

It would take a small amount of votes in a small amount of states to change the election.

Not even changed votes. It could be as simple as people showing up to vote, and being told they weren't registered. Waaaaay harder to track that than to track changed votes, I expect.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Probably they couldn't do a lot more. Or at least, not without being noticed.

Meanwhile access to voter information is more info you can use for whatever purposes you want, especially for targeting propaganda at the US electorate.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Voter registration rolls != voting machines

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    This news does not have any ties back to Trump, right? Not that it is not important, but I want to be sure I have my facts straight.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    This news does not have any ties back to Trump, right? Not that it is not important, but I want to be sure I have my facts straight.
    Russia committed espionage against the United States and if Trump fails to act after having received their report it compounds his situation.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    This is old news. But the significance of the underlying event is probably that Russia used voter info to guide their propaganda efforts.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

Last I heard, we don't actually know? As in, it was an open question and nobody qualified was saying anything.

But that was several months ago at least.

This discussion has been closed.