Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

FYI, this the Toronto Star's entertainment reporter. I'm not sure how seriously this commentary should be treated. His pieces are often fairly tongue-in-cheek. For example, the byline is:
    Forget climate change, terrorism, potential war or a volatile stock market. The biggest threat to Canada right now is our leader’s mouth, writes Vinay Menon.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Harmless, dorky joke needed better delivery by Canadian PM who is usually more charming than this, News @ 11!

Ok, so back to actual political policy and implementation...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Id hate to do ‘whattaboutism’ but Trudeau’s gaffes are quite quaint compared to the guy down south.

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Id hate to do ‘whattaboutism’ but Trudeau’s gaffes are quite quaint compared to the guy down south.
    That's not even a gaffe, just a failed attempt at humour while raising an important point. Then again, I found it funny, so...

mrondeau on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I mean if you want to criticize Trudeau there's plenty. Backing off from electoral reform. Removing native protesters from a townhall about the BC pipeline. Meeting behind closed doors, no media allowed, with Jeff fucking Bezos and it being referred to as "bilateral".

"Personkind" is a tempest in a Tim's cup.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I mean if you want to criticize Trudeau there's plenty. Backing off from electoral reform. Removing native protesters from a townhall about the BC pipeline. Meeting behind closed doors, no media allowed, with Jeff fucking Bezos and it being referred to as "bilateral".

It's exactly the kind of thing that riles up a bunch of your cranky older voters though.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

It's exactly the kind of thing that riles up a bunch of your cranky older voters though.

WORDS! The most important battlefield of them all!

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

WORDS! The most important battlefield of them all!

More like "lolstupidliberals/kids/college students/etc" is the lifeblood of a certain kind of very well represented person. Sadly.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Nice hair though.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Maybe JT was just trolling Jordan Peterson.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Well humankind has the benefit of at least being a word

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Frankly, this shit is why I feel like I get better news from this thread than most news agencies. Here I get updates about the BC-Alberta pipeline and the Ontario PC leadership race. There, I hear mouthbreathing outrage about peoplekindgate.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    Frankly, this shit is why I feel like I get better news from this thread than most news agencies. Here I get updates about the BC-Alberta pipeline and the Ontario PC leadership race. There, I hear mouthbreathing outrage about peoplekindgate.

That and the hand-wringing about our national anthem going BACK to being gender neutral. Jesus, my FB feed is a non-stop torrent of JT memes regarding peoplekind and the anthem.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    FYI I am super pro-pipeline but let's not start using the Fraiser Institute as a reference on..... well, anything.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Disco11 wrote: »
    FYI I am super pro-pipeline but let's not start using the Fraiser Institute as a reference on..... well, anything.

My b, I'm pretty new to sourcing this type of material, but my cursory checking prior to posting had them suggested as right of center bias, but generally factual. I'll refrain from referencing them in the future.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/helicoptes-duterte-cut-deal-1.4527920

Looks like we'll not be helping supply Duterte with helicopters. He's further insulating himself from "Western Influence".

TBH, I was pretty surprised he was going to be doing any spending with us at all originally, so this news doesn't really surprise me.

"So from here on now, I am directing the armed forces of the Philippines, since most of the guns, bullets and whatever, weapons of war ... invariably to be used against the rebels and the terrorists, do not buy any more from Canada. Or from the United States, because there is always a condition attached," he said."

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the condition being don't slaughter your own people.

I guess that bar is too high.

• Options
    Given that Conservatives were outraged that Trudeau was selling weapons to Saudi Arabia, a country with a dubious human rights record, now that this Philippines deal is falling through, I expect Conservatives will be... outraged that Trudeau is not selling weapons to a country with a dubious human rights record.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Given that Conservatives were outraged that Trudeau was selling weapons to Saudi Arabia, a country with a dubious human rights record, now that this Philippines deal is falling through, I expect Conservatives will be... outraged that Trudeau is not selling weapons to a country with a dubious human rights record.

A deal that was initially set up under a Conservative government.

I'm also seeing Trudeau taking flak for the veteran's charter from Conservative circles... which was passed under the Harper government and applies to veterans that Harper sent to Afghanistan, AND HOW ARE WE THIS FUCKING STUPID CHRIST?! (N.B. the veteran's charter was initiated by a Liberal federal government, and may be deserving of criticism, but not from the geese who supported and defended it for 10+ years.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The peoplekind thing was clearly a joke and the new line in the anthem sounds like shit. For the helicopters, I was under the impression they weren't military type choppers? IDK, if the Cons were in charge they'd have sold the choppers and assured Duerte they had solid tethers so he could safely hook himself in as he pushes alleged drug dealers out the door during flight.

I was picking someone up the other day and watched a little of Scheer prattling on about the Aga Khan vacation ethics thing, he looked like a little child in a man's body, nattering on about something that was over and done. Are they really going to run with him, or are they going to find a proper adult to run in the next election?

Nosf on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular

Incidentally, the first PC Leadership debate will be on the 15th, so next Thursday will be interesting.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I FOLKS am FOLKS looking FOLKS forward FOLKS to FOLKS how FOLKS the FOLKS debate FOLKS pans SUBWAYS! out.
    20180205-folks-fans-ford-2018.jpg?cmd=resize_then_crop&quality=70&w=2048&height=1365

Nosf on
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I was picking someone up the other day and watched a little of Scheer prattling on about the Aga Khan vacation ethics thing, he looked like a little child in a man's body, nattering on about something that was over and done. Are they really going to run with him, or are they going to find a proper adult to run in the next election?

It's pretty hilarious that after 2015's "he's too young and doesn't have enough experience" campaign, the Tories went with a leader who's considerably younger than Trudeau was and has even less private sector experience.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    I FOLKS am FOLKS looking FOLKS forward FOLKS to FOLKS how FOLKS the FOLKS debate FOLKS pans SUBWAYS! out.
    20180205-folks-fans-ford-2018.jpg?cmd=resize_then_crop&quality=70&w=2048&height=1365

What's the context for that picture?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    edited February 2018
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Nice hair though.

Thanks for the laugh! That one is truly evergreen.

As somebody who had a tongue-in-cheek "House Mynager" sign up on my door in college, I enjoyed Justin's stupid peoplekind joke. The crowd obviously did, too. It was Justin being himself - a lefty with a sense of humour - which we're seeing less and less these days precicely because the far right blows up every time he dares to show his personality. It breaks the narrative that leftists are humorless shills, so they pretend it's serious. It's also not about them and it's not for them, and that's the thing the far right hates most of all... feeling like the rest of us have felt like for centuries.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Trudeau was the keynote speaker at the Institute of Politics in Chicago a couple of days ago, here's the video if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M7NZGKdROY

He also did an interview with David Axelrod, who is the director of the institute and former Obama advisor. They actually talk about the helicopter deal in the interview.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Okay, but did he say anything that could be misconstrued as virtue-signalling?

hippofant on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    He actually had a bit where he talked about feminism, so yes?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    I cringed at the joke, since it sounded much like regressives trying to imitate feminists. I’ve been on Reddit too long.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

That and the hand-wringing about our national anthem going BACK to being gender neutral. Jesus, my FB feed is a non-stop torrent of JT memes regarding peoplekind and the anthem.

I am so glad that I not only trimmed my FB contacts, but kind of don’t use it much anymore, anyway?

(That isn’t to say I didn’t just replace it with tweeter, but at least that’s actually easier to cull)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Facebook isn't real, it's a collective delusion, abandon your phantoms

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Okay but then explain to me how I'll be invited to stag and doe parties for people I haven't seen in 8+ years.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    BouwsT wrote: »

I am so glad that I not only trimmed my FB contacts, but kind of don’t use it much anymore, anyway?

(That isn’t to say I didn’t just replace it with tweeter, but at least that’s actually easier to cull)

I had to unfollow a good friend of mine because he kept responding to right-wing deplorables' comments on news articles.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Stanley was acquitted and the racism towards the native population is just as fucked up as you would expect.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    hawkbox wrote: »
    Stanley was acquitted and the racism towards the native population is just as fucked up as you would expect.

Accidentally shooting someone in the back of the head apparently carries fewer consequences than accidentally causing a traffic collision.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Accidentally shooting someone in the back of the head apparently carries fewer consequences than accidentally causing a traffic collision.

Did they actually charge him with accidentally discharing a firearm, or whatever the actual charge is for that kind of thing?

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

Did they actually charge him with accidentally discharing a firearm, or whatever the actual charge is for that kind of thing?

The jury had the option to convict for manslaughter.

Which is what happens when you accidentally run down a pedestrian.

• Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Reading the whole thing feels like I'm reading about something out of the US south in the 50s. The hate and racism is overwhelming.

This discussion has been closed.