Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm trying to work out the last ~700 points of my chaos list for a local league that's starting in the spring and I'm feeling overwhelmed with options. I have 2 detachments locked in that do their jobs pretty well on their own but they need a few more cheap bodies and long range support without using any more command points to be effective. I'm also indecisive on if I want more daemons or CSM stuff.
    World Eaters Battalion
    Winged Daemon Prince
    Exalted Champion
    9 Berzerkers
    2 x 5 Berzerkers
    2 Rhinos

Daemon Battalion
    Poxbringer
    Changecaster
    2-3 units of 3 nurglings
    30 bloodletters with upgrades

I still have the Dark Imperium Death Guard units and I also have the pieces to make a killshot group of predators but I might just box them for another marine army down the line.

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I'm trying to work out the last ~700 points of my chaos list for a local league that's starting in the spring and I'm feeling overwhelmed with options. I have 2 detachments locked in that do their jobs pretty well on their own but they need a few more cheap bodies and long range support without using any more command points to be effective. I'm also indecisive on if I want more daemons or CSM stuff.
    World Eaters Battalion
    Winged Daemon Prince
    Exalted Champion
    9 Berzerkers
    2 x 5 Berzerkers
    2 Rhinos

Daemon Battalion
    Poxbringer
    Changecaster
    2-3 units of 3 nurglings

I still have the Dark Imperium Death Guard units and I also have the pieces to make a killshot group of predators but I might just box them for another marine army down the line.

Hmmm....you do need ranged support in this army. Death Guard are okay at that but. The preds would be perfect, killshot if you go first means you wipe out a big thing or 2-3 smaller things. It is amazing. A spearhead of 3 preds+a cheap lord would do work.

Other options if you have them.

Oblits, are amazing. Slaanesh termis. A havoc squad with 2 missile launchers or 2 lascannons+2 heavy bolters is 135 points. It is my swiss army support squad. Give it alpha legion, put a lord nearby and it will do work. And will help you clean up screens before your zerkers/blood letters charge.

I am not sure why you are bringing a tzeentch herald or the nurgle herald. The nurgle one won't be with the nurglings and won't be buff most stuff. Tzeentch is good at smiting but that is it without a lot of targets for spells. Bring a Khorne herald to go with your bloodletters. He will also uff your prince. The Khorne loci is also really good and you will be missing out on that as well.

If you are bringing daemons, remember their buffs from spells and heralds work on daemon engines (forge/maulerfiends, defilers, and heldrakes) and also your daemon units from the CSM like oblits and possessed. Some tzeentch oblits+the flames spell that adds +1 to wound to shooting would be real nasty.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    (6” extra cast range means you can easily cast buffs from outside of deny range. And Ahriman can take both the targetable mortal wounds powers and snipe characters super comfortably).

Realistically you can
    What's this ability / power? I thought the characters were usually shielded?

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    (6” extra cast range means you can easily cast buffs from outside of deny range. And Ahriman can take both the targetable mortal wounds powers and snipe characters super comfortably).

Realistically you can

The shield only applies during the shooting phase. The Psychic phase is free game, although a large number of powers make themselves less effective if the target is a character.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

Realistically you can

The shield only applies during the shooting phase. The Psychic phase is free game, although a large number of powers make themselves less effective if the target is a character.

Also a lot are "nearest visible enemy."

But just off the top of my head, doombolt and the CSM mortal wound power both let you snipe characters. Tzeentch's firestorm as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    What I'm getting from this thread is that the Thousand Sons are complete fuckers currently.

• Options
    Burnage wrote: »
    What I'm getting from this thread is that the Thousand Sons are complete fuckers currently.

They are. Their codex turned out way better than I think most people thought it would considering they are kind of an elite army of marine bodies like grey knights.

But all their sorcs, including sgt sorcs, get a spell. They have an additional 6" range. They got amazing stratagems and relics. Tzaangors got really good and they got some nice units from AoS because of that. In fact it almost feels like a negative to bring Magnus verse Ahriman or just an exalted sorc now because of how good they are.

Its a flexible army with a nice looking range that can snipe everything you love with psychic powers from outside the range of enemy psykers and even do well in close combat. Also they combine really really well with normal CSM were I feel Death Guard does not as their synergies don't play off each other as well.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Realistically you can

But just off the top of my head, doombolt and the CSM mortal wound power both let you snipe characters. Tzeentch's firestorm as well.

This is it. The CSM power and doombolt have no restrictions on targets so in theory you can throw out up to six mortal wounds at a character. Doombolting a character is also really strong because it forces your opponent to move multiple units less if they want to keep buffs up. This is on top of being able to reach out and touch stuff like devestators turn one.

Tsons actually work really well with deathguard, the biggest problem deathguard have is the good stuff, tanks and drones, are too fast for the rest of the force so your often coming at them in multiple waves instead of the full 2k being used, which is easier to deal with. Tsons stuff has the range and speed to keep up. PBCs are hard enough to deal with when they don’t have a Tzaangor herd coming down in front of them.

Also Ahriman and Necrosius are best buds because it gives you two high wound 4+ invuln casters with five mortal wound dealing spells between them and six denies.(Necrosisus with plague wind and curse of the leper can very easily deal a chunk of mortal wounds on his own)

Norgoth on
  • Options

Realistically you can

This is it. The CSM power and doombolt have no restrictions on targets so in theory you can throw out up to six mortal wounds at a character. Doombolting a character is also really strong because it forces your opponent to move multiple units less if they want to keep buffs up. This is on top of being able to reach out and touch stuff like devestators turn one.

Tsons actually work really well with deathguard, the biggest problem deathguard have is the good stuff, tanks and drones, are too fast for the rest of the force so your often coming at them in multiple waves instead of the full 2k being used, which is easier to deal with. Tsons stuff has the range and speed to keep up. PBCs are hard enough to deal with when they don’t have a Tzaangor herd coming down in front of them.

Also Ahriman and Necrosius are best buds because it gives you two high wound 4+ invuln casters with five mortal wound dealing spells between them and six denies.(Necrosisus with plague wind and curse of the leper can very easily deal a chunk of mortal wounds on his own)

I was talking more normal CSM+DG. DG has this crazy bubble of 7" death around their units that doesn't really buff non-nurgle/DG units. Tsons have psyker spells which are the same as CSM ones but better thanks to the 6" range.

Adding a big rubric squad+sorc to a CSM as a patrol with a webway deepstrike adds a huge amount of versatility to your army. Or a Tzaangor bomb. Or even some cheap skyfires with support because they are all just solid editions helping build up the already good CSM codex.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Which one's the CSM Mortal Wound Power?

• Options

Infernal gaze. 18" range, roll 3 dice, each 4+ is a mortal wound. Warp charge power of 5. Most folks don't take it. The other one is Gift of Chaos, wc6, roll a d6 if you roll over the toughness of your target do 3+d3 mortal wounds. If you kill them, replace them with a spawn (uses reserve points).

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Infernal gaze. 18" range, roll 3 dice, each 4+ is a mortal wound. Warp charge power of 5. Most folks don't take it. The other one is Gift of Chaos, wc6, roll a d6 if you roll over the toughness of your target do 3+d3 mortal wounds. If you kill them, replace them with a spawn (uses reserve points).

Normally you avoid it, 1.5 mortal wounds is not worth the loss of another power but being able to throw out two of these suddenly threaten characters. Plus you have so many powers in Tsons you can afford the have it on a DP or something

• Options

Normally you avoid it, 1.5 mortal wounds is not worth the loss of another power but being able to throw out two of these suddenly threaten characters. Plus you have so many powers in Tsons you can afford the have it on a DP or something

Yeah, not usually worth grabbing as a CSM but the second power is pretty good if fighting say guard or something with similar squishy HQs. It use to be the commissar popper but now it is the general low T hq popper. Situational but not bad. With Tsons though it has a really big threat range.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    World Eaters Battalion
    Winged Daemon Prince
    Exalted Champion
    9 Berzerkers
    2 x 5 Berzerkers
    2 Rhinos

Daemon Battalion
    Poxbringer
    Changecaster
    2-3 units of 3 nurglings

Hmmm....you do need ranged support in this army. Death Guard are okay at that but. The preds would be perfect, killshot if you go first means you wipe out a big thing or 2-3 smaller things. It is amazing. A spearhead of 3 preds+a cheap lord would do work.

Other options if you have them.

Oblits, are amazing. Slaanesh termis. A havoc squad with 2 missile launchers or 2 lascannons+2 heavy bolters is 135 points. It is my swiss army support squad. Give it alpha legion, put a lord nearby and it will do work. And will help you clean up screens before your zerkers/blood letters charge.

I am not sure why you are bringing a tzeentch herald or the nurgle herald. The nurgle one won't be with the nurglings and won't be buff most stuff. Tzeentch is good at smiting but that is it without a lot of targets for spells. Bring a Khorne herald to go with your bloodletters. He will also uff your prince. The Khorne loci is also really good and you will be missing out on that as well.

If you are bringing daemons, remember their buffs from spells and heralds work on daemon engines (forge/maulerfiends, defilers, and heldrakes) and also your daemon units from the CSM like oblits and possessed. Some tzeentch oblits+the flames spell that adds +1 to wound to shooting would be real nasty.

I tried a couple different pure khorne detachments for the loci but it just felt like a big investment for not much extra. Having the two psyker heralds surrounded by cultists caused a lot more grief for my opponents than they had any right to. The herald of tzeentch usually cast Gaze of Fate every turn which I can use to reroll a die on the bloodletter charge as well as anything else throughout the rest of the game. The herald of nurgle is out of his element but did a good job accompanying the cultists to objectives.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Got into the GW store after my work thing today... sadly they didn't have any PBC's, which is what I was really shopping for.

I did leave with more paints and these, so still a win in my books.

jb5q6uefuum4.jpeg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    So I am not up to date with the Chaos stuff. I really love the look of Tzeentch demons. I have screamers. What's another low model count purchase I can make that looks cool?

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Koreg wrote: »
    So I am not up to date with the Chaos stuff. I really love the look of Tzeentch demons. I have screamers. What's another low model count purchase I can make that looks cool?

Get the Start Collecting Tzeentch Demons box, it has Screamers, Horrors, Flamers and some characters.

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Koreg wrote: »

Get the Start Collecting Tzeentch Demons box, it has Screamers, Horrors, Flamers and some characters.

I despise building pink horrors, I don't know what it is they just take me forever.

Screamers are great and like 3 pieces. Flamers are similar. There are pieces for either a foot herald+2 blue horrors and a flaming chariot or a chariot herald+exalted flamer.

I am trying to figure if I can magnetize it so I can swap between both of them.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Screamers and Flamers have gone hand in hand in being overpowered nonsense over the past few editions, but they seem to have settled down a bit in 8th. Together they can make for fast relatively small units that do some work. I’d consider Spawn to be a Tzeentch unit too, considering all the spells they use that can pop them out.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Codex T'au: The apostrophe means we can actually hit the broad side of a barn?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Why would you want to hit your own troops?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Because I can

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    We have to start somewhere with an elite low model count army that pays space marine points for 4+ BS.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »

Because I can

ahh, a skaven player

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    @Khraul , the PBC's sell out so fast at my local store it's nuts. They and Myphitic Blight Haulers (which I don't understand as much).

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been to a couple of stores and have yet to see one. I signed up on the gw website to get an email alert if they ever come in stock.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Blight haulers are reasonably priced vehicles that you need 3 of to get the most out of, and most stores will get a maximum of 3 in their orders.

You will never see one on a shelf.

• Options
    Cleaning out the pile of 40k stuff in my closet it's like Xmas
    I found I had a 40k terrain of a Blastscape. I found my chapel of sanctuary which I am still in awe of.
    Really I have not touched or seen this stuff in an epoch but it brings back memories of how toxic that group got and why I quit playing

• Options
    “Screw you guys, I’m taking my terrain and going home.”

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    “Screw you guys, I’m taking my terrain and going home.”

I heard that before with more cuss words and a middle finger was used

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I have been slowly working on a small Ork army for a while, and a friend of mine gave me the old Grumlok and Gazbag model from Warhammer Online, which normally looks like this (mine is bare metal):

KSEqO1N.jpg

I'm thinking of using it as a Weirdboy, but I'm sort of stuck. I think it would be cool to have the goblin be the actual Weirdboy and have the Ork itself be controlled by him, either paint him up as a zombie Ork that the goblin had animated to act as a bodyguard or maybe some sort of animatronic thing? If he wasn't wearing a helmet I could greenstuff up an exposed brain with some wires or something sticking out of it, but I don't really want to modify the model too much.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just paint it like normal and the Grumlock ork could just be a regular bodyguard.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I fell off the 40k wagon a while back because life got crazy and I was thinking of getting back on.

I want to be realistic with myself. I know the rate I work at is slow. I need a small, elite style army.

Apparently these are bad in 8th? Like how bad? I don’t care about being tournament competitive but I want to be able to have games that are fun for me and my opponent. Getting totally rolled is fun for no one.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I have been slowly working on a small Ork army for a while, and a friend of mine gave me the old Grumlok and Gazbag model from Warhammer Online, which normally looks like this (mine is bare metal):
    KSEqO1N.jpg

I'm thinking of using it as a Weirdboy, but I'm sort of stuck. I think it would be cool to have the goblin be the actual Weirdboy and have the Ork itself be controlled by him, either paint him up as a zombie Ork that the goblin had animated to act as a bodyguard or maybe some sort of animatronic thing? If he wasn't wearing a helmet I could greenstuff up an exposed brain with some wires or something sticking out of it, but I don't really want to modify the model too much.

Maybe I'm overthinking it and I should just paint it like normal and the Grumlock ork could just be a regular bodyguard.

If you don't want to do that kind of extensive modification of exposing brain, you could just get some orky looking tech bits and attach them to the helmet? I think a couple of the lightning coils off of WarMachine's Nemo mounted to the helmet could work.
    You could also mod Gazbag's staff into a remote control putting a small video screen on the back, maybe an antenna or two on it.
    Found this listing on eBay for Space Marine auspex hands. A bit of work on the wrist to make one look more meaty/boney could be fun, like the Weirdboy didn't bother prying the auspex out of the marine's dead hand before repurposing it to be a remote control and duct taping it to his staff (presumably with another lightning coil or two for good measure).
    Not a direct wired-to-the-brain control, but the helmet controls whichever Ork it's put on.

It seems like it would be more efficient that way, if your Ork ride gets taken down you can just move the helmet to the next biggest Boy and continue Waaaghing. Don't have to go through all that work of installing new brain controls on the next Ork. Less downtime between Waaaghs.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fell off the 40k wagon a while back because life got crazy and I was thinking of getting back on.

I want to be realistic with myself. I know the rate I work at is slow. I need a small, elite style army.

Apparently these are bad in 8th? Like how bad? I don’t care about being tournament competitive but I want to be able to have games that are fun for me and my opponent. Getting totally rolled is fun for no one.

Good news, Custodes are both small and elite. While also being pretty decent, and easy to paint.

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Custodes are the best elite army but even they get run with like a hundred guardsmen to be competitive.

• Options
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    Custodes are the best elite army but even they get run with like a hundred guardsmen to be competitive.

Which is why my brother is looking in every box he has for his grey knights
    Most of these boxes have not been touched or looked at since we moved here 10 years ago so it too is something
    All I know of the Grey Knights now is the shackles are off so they can fight any army not just demons

I want to get a few more pieces for the Custodes since all we have is what came in the burning of prospero
    I might shell out for the forge world comtemptor but all I think I need is a box of Warrens and the dreadnaught for a fieldable force

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Good news, Custodes are both small and elite. While also being pretty decent, and easy to paint.

Like, that’s the crux of my question. I won’t win tournaments, sure, and i’m fine with that.

Will I be getting tabled turn 1 though?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Like, that’s the crux of my question. I won’t win tournaments, sure, and i’m fine with that.

Will I be getting tabled turn 1 though?

No, you'll be fine.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Question to the experts....if two units, one in each opposing army, has At the beginning of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, the unit emerges from its hiding place - set it up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9 inches away from any enemy models. , which one gets placed first?

Additionally, the Alpha Legion Alpha Legion - Forward Operatives (1CP): Use this stratagem when you set up an ALPHA LEGION INFANTRY unit. You can set up the unit in concealment instead of placing it on the battlefield. Is that usable only once during set up?

Bizazedo on
  • Options
    Question to the experts....if two units, one in each opposing army, has At the beginning of the first battle round but before the first turn begins, the unit emerges from its hiding place - set it up anywhere on the battlefield that is more than 9 inches away from any enemy models. , which one gets placed first?

Additionally, the Alpha Legion Alpha Legion - Forward Operatives (1CP): Use this stratagem when you set up an ALPHA LEGION INFANTRY unit. You can set up the unit in concealment instead of placing it on the battlefield. Is that usable only once during set up?

First question I believe you Dice off and alternate like normal deployment

Second you can use it as many times as you like. Deployment is not a phase so the strategem restriction does not apply. This has been specifically confirmed in FAQs. It’s why the “Webway” versions in eldar and thousand sons have a 1/3cp version. You can’t use it over and over like Raven Guard/Alpha Legion but it counts as a single deployment rather than multiples.

This discussion has been closed.