Options

The Mueller Investigation Thread - in which Rudy Guiliani talks about obstruction

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The thing that scares me about all this is the talking point that there might be a full Intelligence Community purge of the 'disloyal'.

Because once he has an intelligence agency willing to follow his orders, no matter what, that's things get real, real dark.

I need some Hopium here guys and gals.

You might be able to hire some idiot talking head from Fox or rich bastard from Wall Street and put them into an appointed leadership position, but you can't do that in an entire organization of thousands of members who require very specialized skillsets. The FBI/CIA/etc require skills way more complex's than ICE's 'bust down a door and arrest all the brown people', so the only way to really take complete control of an IC agency is if there's already a sizable faction in your camp.

And that may have been true before the election. But I don't see how this won't drive them, and especially the FBI, into a complete rage, and Trump is insane if he actually believes what he tweeted about the rank and file backing him up. At this point a 'purge' of anything more than the top couple guys would require disbanding the entire agency.

Thank you

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The bright side to all this is that McCabe was literally "two days till retirement" and can only be so far from being "too old for this shit"

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    The bright side to all this is that McCabe was literally "two days till retirement" and can only be so far from being "too old for this shit"

He's only 49, but anyone is too old for this shit.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

He's only 49, but anyone is too old for this shit.

Legally, his Glover-index was "two days 'till being too old for this shit," and thus eligible for early retirement.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Remember this?:

"Leaking" was not the appropriatet term to use, but his thought process here continues to inform pretty much all his actions.

Edit:

https://thedailybeast.com/trumps-lawyer-its-time-to-fire-robert-mueller
    President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, John Dowd, told The Daily Beast on Saturday morning that he hopes Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein will shut down the Mueller probe.
    “I pray that Acting Attorney General Rosenstein will follow the brilliant and courageous example of the FBI Office of Professional Responsibility and Attorney General Jeff Sessions and bring an end to alleged Russia Collusion investigation manufactured by McCabe’s boss James Comey based upon a fraudulent and corrupt Dossier,” Dowd then wrote.

He told The Daily Beast he was speaking on behalf of the president, in his capacity as the president’s attorney.

Dowd also emailed the text below, which is an annotated version of a line from a well-known 20th century play:

“What's that smell in this room[Bureau}? Didn't you notice it, Brick [Jim]? Didn't you notice a powerful and obnoxious odor of mendacity in this room[Bureau}?... There ain't nothin' more powerful than the odor of mendacity[corruption]... You can smell it. It smells like death.” Tennessee Williams — ‘Cat on a Hot Tin Roof’
    Yay purges.

Edit: NYT reporter:

Couscous on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Remember last weekend when it was thought Mueller had the obstruction part already wrapped up?

• Options
    Going from "I am speaking as Trump's lawyer" to "I was just speaking personally and not as Trump's lawyer" kind of requires incompetence at best and lying at worst.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Remember last weekend when it was thought Mueller had the obstruction part already wrapped up?

You get to the bottom of the gold mine and hit silver. You get to the bottom of the silver mine and hit gold again.

• Options
    Hevach wrote: »

You get to the bottom of the gold mine and hit silver. You get to the bottom of the silver mine and hit gold again.

When do we hit Balrogs?

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

When do we hit Balrogs?

Normally I’d think after mithril but I’m not sure this mine isn’t stupid balrogs all the way down

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

When do we hit Balrogs?

The balrogs are outside telling you to shut down the mine because you'll never find iron.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    This seems important. The guy behind the harvesting is of course funded by the Russian government.

Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/cambridge-analytica-facebook-influence-us-election
    The data analytics firm that worked with Donald Trump’s election team and the winning Brexit campaign harvested millions of Facebook profiles of US voters, in the tech giant’s biggest ever data breach, and used them to build a powerful software program to predict and influence choices at the ballot box.

A whistleblower has revealed to the Observer how Cambridge Analytica – a company owned by the hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer, and headed at the time by Trump’s key adviser Steve Bannon – used personal information taken without authorisation in early 2014 to build a system that could profile individual US voters, in order to target them with personalised political advertisements.

Christopher Wylie, who worked with an academic at Cambridge University to obtain the data, told the Observer: “We exploited Facebook to harvest millions of people’s profiles. And built models to exploit what we knew about them and target their inner demons. That was the basis that the entire company was built on.”

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

And then someone starts throwing gold down the shaft at you.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The thing that scares me about all this is the talking point that there might be a full Intelligence Community purge of the 'disloyal'.

Because once he has an intelligence agency willing to follow his orders, no matter what, that's things get real, real dark.

I need some Hopium here guys and gals.

Intelligence agencies are built on internal trust, loyalty and tradition. Without engaging in Stalin levels of purging you simply can't force a change in the optics of organizations like the CIA, FBI or NSA and trying to do so is going to backfire on you hard.

Expect these organizations to start leaking like a screendoor in a hurricane if trump keeps up this stupid shit.

• Options
    veritastalpaveritastalpa Registered User regular

When do we hit Balrogs?

June 16th, 2015.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    If Sessions did the McCabe firing unprompted, it was probably an effort to keep his job.

Loathsome as he is, Sessions is all that's standing in the way of a Mueller firing. America needs him in place at least until the Democrats take back one of the chambers of congress and can continue the work from there.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    This seems important. The guy behind the harvesting is of course funded by the Russian government.

Revealed: 50 million Facebook profiles harvested for Cambridge Analytica in major data breach

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/17/cambridge-analytica-facebook-influence-us-election
    The data analytics firm that worked with Donald Trump’s election team and the winning Brexit campaign harvested millions of Facebook profiles of US voters, in the tech giant’s biggest ever data breach, and used them to build a powerful software program to predict and influence choices at the ballot box.

A whistleblower has revealed to the Observer how Cambridge Analytica – a company owned by the hedge fund billionaire Robert Mercer, and headed at the time by Trump’s key adviser Steve Bannon – used personal information taken without authorisation in early 2014 to build a system that could profile individual US voters, in order to target them with personalised political advertisements.

Christopher Wylie, who worked with an academic at Cambridge University to obtain the data, told the Observer: “We exploited Facebook to harvest millions of people’s profiles. And built models to exploit what we knew about them and target their inner demons. That was the basis that the entire company was built on.”

I want to feel like this is a big deal, but I also feel like this type of info is out there already?

Obviously obtaining it via breach, and pairing it with breached voter roll data and Russian propaganda isn’t typical, and is a nice stream to go alongside the hacked emails and wiki releases...

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    If Sessions did the McCabe firing unprompted, it was probably an effort to keep his job.

Loathsome as he is, Sessions is all that's standing in the way of a Mueller firing. America needs him in place at least until the Democrats take back one of the chambers of congress and can continue the work from there.

I can't help but feel this whole thing was some fucked up carrot for Trump. "Look bud, you do x, y and z and you can have McCabe fired 2 days before his retirement." And Trump being the miserable old bastard he is, was all about it.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

It's a novel defence, just keep committing crimes so the investigation can never be wrapped up.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular

When do we hit Balrogs?

Normally I’d think after mithril but I’m not sure this mine isn’t stupid balrogs all the way down

"begone, Flame Of UrDumb!"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    I can’t help but think that the people who are going to take this news the worst out of everyone are the hard working men and women of the FBI. There’s no way the career employees there aren’t super pissed about this.

What a great way to get lasers focused on literally every thing you've ever done in your life by making enemies of the intelligence agency that works for your own god damned government. If we didn't have some information on Trump because it was hidden away well, we will soon.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CBS reporter:

Always remember to document everything folks.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    CBS reporter:

Always remember to document everything folks.
    ESPECIALLY if you work in a role where this Administration can dick you.

I do find it ironic that one of the things that started the whole Mueller investigation was, beyond the actual firing, that Comey had taken contemporaneous notes.

And now we find McCabe has done the same thing.

Wonder if Trump or Sessions will try to outlaw the taking of notes about conversations with the President.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I can’t help but think that the people who are going to take this news the worst out of everyone are the hard working men and women of the FBI. There’s no way the career employees there aren’t super pissed about this.

What a great way to get lasers focused on literally every thing you've ever done in your life by making enemies of the intelligence agency that works for your own god damned government. If we didn't have some information on Trump because it was hidden away well, we will soon.

No doubt, but I think his staff is desperate to keep him from completely going insane, and so this was some Faustian bargain to placate him.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    This is McCabe's attorney, who also formerly was the Inspector General at the DOJ. The IG office is the one that performed the McCabe investigation.

This will be a big wrongful termination lawsuit.

I have been involved in DOJ and FBI disciplinary matters since 1994. I have never before seen the type of rush to judgment – and rush to summary punishment – that we have witnessed in the case of Andy McCabe: https://t.co/9XKXoUKqTV

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Notice it also happened after all the Friday evening news shows, to minimize it's presence in the news cycle. By Sunday morning something else will probably happen.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    That is true regardless of the day it is released on. Something else happening within the next two days to get the media's attention has been true at almost every point in this administration.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I've mostly heard former and current government employees (at all levels of governments) being pissed at this. Just at essentially stealing a guy's pension out of spite.

• Options
    That is true regardless of the day it is released on. Something else happening within the next two days to get the media's attention has been true at almost every point in this administration.

True, but Saturday is probably the one day a week where news isn't reported as heavily. During the week you have nightly news on cable and network TV, and Sunday has the morning political shows, but Saturday doesn't really have anything. It will probably make Sunday papers but who reads those anymore?

• Options
    Daily Beast executive editor:

Trump hires only the worst.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

I want to feel like this is a big deal, but I also feel like this type of info is out there already?

Obviously obtaining it via breach, and pairing it with breached voter roll data and Russian propaganda isn’t typical, and is a nice stream to go alongside the hacked emails and wiki releases...

It's not really a breach. They used bogus quizzes to scrape information from users against FB's terms of service.

It's part of a small thread. They used the API against their TOS. Hack is probably the right word, breach is definitely not.

Alex Stamos is the Chief Security Officer at Facebook

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Notice it also happened after all the Friday evening news shows, to minimize it's presence in the news cycle. By Sunday morning something else will probably happen.

This is not gonna drop out of the news. Especially if McCabe starts talking about his memos. Press will love that shit.

• Options
    Trump is ranting on Twitter after watching the news and is making it very obvious why McCabe was fired.

• Options
    Trump is ranting on Twitter after watching the news and is making it very obvious why McCabe was fired.

Ahh yes, drag McCabe's politics into this. His lawyers will love that shit.

This shit doesn't even register anymore. I've been waiting for it. We all know it was coming. He had to rant about this.

• Options
    Daily Beast executive editor:

Trump hires only the worst.

For those not following:
    - Dowd (Trump's lawyer) calls for an end to the Mueller investigation and some light purging, speaking on behalf of the President
    - Once they all realise what he's said, he releases a statement saying he totally wasn't speaking on behalf of the President after all
    - then it comes out he wrote down he was speaking as Trump's consel

And all of this in comic sans because Dowd isn't just a moron, he's a spectacular moron.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    the best morons.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Comic sans is so humorously appropriate, but I’m starting to get tired of being stuck inside of someone else’s fan fiction.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This is pretty much it though, right? Like our worst fears of s trump presidency or our biggest hopes. It's one or the other. Either trump goes down in flames or he successfully takes over the law enforcement arm of the federal government and we get president for life trump.

Right now it certainly seems like it'll go down with the good guys winning but it easily could go the other way.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Mueller hasn't been fired yet, but that is looking more and more likely as time goes on.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

McCabe was officially fired for talking to the press when he ostensibly wasn’t supposed to (and not being clear enough about that during the investigation?), not because of corruption or being married to a Democrat. But Trump’s conspiracy theory base are who he’s really speaking to here.

ACsTqqK.jpg
This discussion has been closed.