As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer: Vermintide 2 - Winds of Magic launching the 13th of August!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Ardol wrote: »
    Game no longer uninstalls itself after a particularly rare crash

what?

Reminds me of this little bug by Bungie

http://minimaxir.com/2013/06/working-as-intended/

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    as a pre-level 15 Bounty Hunter, I prefer the rapier for the heavy jab and offhand pistol spam, and the brace of pistols for medium range special sniping or akimbo spamming on hordes. Unloading my special on Chaos Warriors also feels very satisfying.

I found myself very underwhelmed by the backup pistol on the Rapier. I recently picked up a 170ish power Rapier and its pistol can't even bodyshot a horde zombie on Veteran. At that point I'd rather just ignore that the feature exists in the first place.

Witch Hunter Salty makes good use of the off hand pistol given his headshot crits kill man sized enemies outright.

There are 3 ways of using the pistol (IMHO):
    1. Initiating a fight. You don't want to fight several spawns at once? Shoot someone to get their attention.
    2. The staggering body shot. You stagger one dude in order to make sure that you don't get overwhelmed by a particular wave, but instead get a staggered assault so that you can use the point more effectively.
    3. The headshot. Both the Witch hunter and the Bounty hunter benefits from this one. The Witch hunter can have a bigger payoff, since if he crits the pistol can instakill ANY mansized target. The bounty hunter will benefit more consistently since he can get guaranteed crits. A guaranteed headshot crit will kill most non-elites at medium ranges. It's a great way of initiating a fight or cleaning out fodder that are slightly out of your way. It helps that the pistol is reasonably accurate at most ranges.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    If you are having problems with the after-cast of the pistol shot taking so long, you can use the pistol, then left click then right click to block. If you just try to fire the pistol then block, it'll take almost a full second before you're done with the animation and are able to block. This can save your life by animation cancelling.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    as a pre-level 15 Bounty Hunter, I prefer the rapier for the heavy jab and offhand pistol spam, and the brace of pistols for medium range special sniping or akimbo spamming on hordes. Unloading my special on Chaos Warriors also feels very satisfying.

I found myself very underwhelmed by the backup pistol on the Rapier. I recently picked up a 170ish power Rapier and its pistol can't even bodyshot a horde zombie on Veteran. At that point I'd rather just ignore that the feature exists in the first place.

Witch Hunter Salty makes good use of the off hand pistol given his headshot crits kill man sized enemies outright.

There are 3 ways of using the pistol (IMHO):
    1. Initiating a fight. You don't want to fight several spawns at once? Shoot someone to get their attention.
    2. The staggering body shot. You stagger one dude in order to make sure that you don't get overwhelmed by a particular wave, but instead get a staggered assault so that you can use the point more effectively.
    3. The headshot. Both the Witch hunter and the Bounty hunter benefits from this one. The Witch hunter can have a bigger payoff, since if he crits the pistol can instakill ANY mansized target. The bounty hunter will benefit more consistently since he can get guaranteed crits. A guaranteed headshot crit will kill most non-elites at medium ranges. It's a great way of initiating a fight or cleaning out fodder that are slightly out of your way. It helps that the pistol is reasonably accurate at most ranges.

It's also good for shooting clusters of Nurgle goop in Festering Ground without wasting ammo.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    qVfvHnL.png

• Options
    How about no?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    The Bounty Hunter's ability to generate three-shot (with the Volley Crossbow) or eight-shot (with the Revolver) crits makes most Boss fights trivially easy, at least on Veteran, in my experience. I suspect he will be hit hard by the Nerf Bat soon, so take advantage while you can.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    The Bounty Hunter's ability to generate three-shot (with the Volley Crossbow) or eight-shot (with the Revolver) crits makes most Boss fights trivially easy, at least on Veteran, in my experience. I suspect he will be hit hard by the Nerf Bat soon, so take advantage while you can.

He's nowhere near the hilarity that was Huntsman Kruber in the beta. Fights with Bodvarr would last perhaps a few seconds. I haven't played as him recently, but I hear tell that he was nerfed into the stoneage, relatively speaking.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    qVfvHnL.png

No thanks, I'm good.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Thought Slayer annoyed me at Champion level.

Until I ran across somebody playing a Ranger dwarf. Good job, you picked the dwarf class that is okay at staying alive and is terrible at keeping anyone else alive? All for a crossbow shot that is completely redundant for killing armored soldiers, because Kerillian and Sienna can both do it better, and Drakefire pistols are loads better in general. A solid Slayer can at least mow enemies down too fast for them to land hits on allies.

Got as far as Burpiejerk, at least, before the team folded, despite everybody except the dwarf repeatedly getting downed. Burned off a good half of his health myself and would've finished him off, except we had no tanks and nobody would group up. Massive sustained damage isn't worth much if everybody runs away from each other instead of helping to actually deal with the trash enemies.

And then the following match had a Kruber and Bardin who knew their shit as tanks, and it was a breeze with both grims. Dunno why it's so hard for people to understand that Champion doesn't tolerate a bunch of ranged damage and no tanking.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I guess I haven't played much on Champion, where the margins for survival are a lot slimmer, but I appreciate a Ranger Bardin on Veteran. The slow trickle of ammo makes levels like Into the Nest, where the last half of the map can be totally absent of ammo drops, even up to the bossfight, way smoother.

Edit: Also I can't entirely blame folks for expecting the game to be playable no matter what character they pick. Like if Champion is intended to be impossible unless Bardin goes Ironbreaker, they shouldn't have allowed him to be a Ranger in the first place. I imagine this will even out with balance passes as the game matures. Hopefully they'll find a way to do that while keeping each subclass unique.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    You don't NEED bardin to be an ironbreaker for champion to work. However, that means that you need at least 2 other characters capable of standing their ground in melee...
    Overall though I think that Dwarven ranger might be the least useful class in the game. His abilities seem to lack synenergy and they're not very powerful on their own.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ranger would be more playable for Champion on up, if there were more tanking options with the other characters. As it is, there are only a couple proper tank options, and way too many ranged offerings.

It's pretty much a given that every game is going to have a Kerillian, so that means there's a chance one of the the other three won't be a Sienna. But if there's a Kerillian and a Sienna, picking a third or fourth ranged class at Champion is actively a detriment to the group. Those two have homing specials that are stellar for interrupting boss attacks, breaking allies free of grabs without even needing LoS, and Sienna alone can wipe out half a stormvermin group before it can even reach attack range. And if you have two or extra three players fighting for ammo because they all want to shoot instead of letting a better ranged character have it, then the team is hobbled for constant lack of ammo; far better in the long run to use ammo ONLY for armored or special types, and let the elf have the bulk of the ammo for those anyway.

Pretty much any class is fine on Veteran, but past that, the game is too harsh to waste other player's time with classes that are, at least so far, not at all useful at that difficulty.

The nice thing is that it's not really a big deal. If somebody runs Ranger on Champion, I can just leave now that I know better, no need to take a gamble on it.

• Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Ranger would be more playable for Champion on up, if there were more tanking options with the other characters. As it is, there are only a couple proper tank options, and way too many ranged offerings.

It's pretty much a given that every game is going to have a Kerillian, so that means there's a chance one of the the other three won't be a Sienna. But if there's a Kerillian and a Sienna, picking a third or fourth ranged class at Champion is actively a detriment to the group. Those two have homing specials that are stellar for interrupting boss attacks, breaking allies free of grabs without even needing LoS, and Sienna alone can wipe out half a stormvermin group before it can even reach attack range. And if you have two or extra three players fighting for ammo because they all want to shoot instead of letting a better ranged character have it, then the team is hobbled for constant lack of ammo; far better in the long run to use ammo ONLY for armored or special types, and let the elf have the bulk of the ammo for those anyway.

Pretty much any class is fine on Veteran, but past that, the game is too harsh to waste other player's time with classes that are, at least so far, not at all useful at that difficulty.

The nice thing is that it's not really a big deal. If somebody runs Ranger on Champion, I can just leave now that I know better, no need to take a gamble on it.

yeah every class is fit for champion but with two characters having no tank options you have to consider group composition. shit that even applies to lower levels. 4 people playing for largest amount of kills is not a winning play.

fuck I'm playing Sienna and you'd be discouraged at the amount of players who figure they might as well charge a group of mobs far away just because I'm dealing with one group of mobs. like, kill shit but at least have my back because i die in 4 hits.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Sienna is my main right now and yeah, I'm continually stunned at how stupidly people can play. I've watched a Kruber holding a line side-by-side with Salt in a defensible position while I fired past them, and then Kruber decided to charge directly away from us into the middle of 20-30 enemies. He died almost immediately, and then we died a handful of seconds later. We had taken no damage from the swarm up until that point, and there was zero need for the charge. Or people will happily keep chopping away at a boss for minimal damage while trash enemies hit them in the back or, even better, do nothing to prevent trash damage from interrupting an endless stream of damage from Sienna. Then I stop shooting, hack away at the 2-3 enemies around me that any ally could easily have knocked away, and then get to watch the quarter-health boss trash a teammate or two because they're too melee-happy to do anything but swing.

But the biggest peeve of mine on the score of "playing like an idiot" are the people who treat the game like a mad rush but also can't be bothered to look anywhere but straight ahead. Enemies. Are. Everywhere. Everybody should be keeping an eye out for everybody else, but ENORMOUS amounts of damage can be avoided by people being smart about attacking enemies their allies aren't looking at. If you're too far away to swing at enemies flanking your allies, you're too far away from allies, period. Don't be an idiot running off to chase kills. So many rounds would go so much more smoothly if people would go half as fast and actually be careful; speed isn't worth a damn thing compared to being cautious and avoiding getting wiped.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hand maiden would be a great tank if they gave her a passive or talent that upped the strength of her shoves.

As it stands she’s just a frustrating mix of almost useful stuff and a stamina aura that’s really good but the definition of invisible power

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    So my friends convinced me to pick this up (then promptly couldn't play last night). I'd never played Vermintide but I had played the original L4D so I wasn't completely clueless.

Holy cow this game is HARD, especially with pub groups! I must have played 8 or 9 games. We won twice, and both those times it was because there were people at a much higher level basically carrying me and one other newbie.

My personal pet peeve right now is people picking up tomes and grimoires when we are getting our butts kicked already.

Sienna seems like a lot of fun, and I played her the most. I am a terrible Kerillian because I have a hard time spotting the specials a lot of the time and I'm struggling to figure out Saltz's role, though I unlocked a falchion and that seemed pretty good at just taking lots of heads in melee? I'm also a terrible Kruber (probably because figuring out where to make a stand requires decent map knowledge, and he seems so slow compared to the others). I haven't tried Bardin yet, his base kit doesn't seem super impressive compared to the others but his other classes both seem useful in different ways, it is just odd that Ranger seems so notably lacking compared to the others.

I guess the main thing I've noticed with a Ranger in the party is that he pairs up very nicely with Kerillian to keep her in ammo? That's pretty weak as a selling point for the character though.

• Options
    The main thing that kills when you're starting out is not meleeing vs hordes properly.

Elites are pretty obvious because they have huge tells for their attacks so you can block/dodge.

Hordes you need to get used to slash, dodge, slash, pushblock, slash etc. etc. It's very rare you'll be able to get multiple swings in without also needing to weave a defense in.

Also mash T constantly when scanning the horizon and you'll never miss a special.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "Do you know how to stack with your team?" is a far more important question of whether someone is good or bad at Champion and Legend than what class they're playing. Even group composition only starts to matter when nobody is using reach weapons, and either your ranged characters are bad at FF, or your melee characters don't know what their crouch button is.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Holy cow the game is SO much better once you disable motion blur (only under custom graphics settings, very last entry under "post processing"). I don't understand why developers keep not only putting it into games, but making it the default setting. It's to the 10s what Bloom was to the 00s and lens flare was to the late 90s.

Now, is there a way to turn friendly outline to always on instead of just out of sight? Can't seem to find it.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    I bound T to my mouse thumb button so I can actually mash it quickly.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    Holy cow the game is SO much better once you disable motion blur (only under custom graphics settings, very last entry under "post processing"). I don't understand why developers keep not only putting it into games, but making it the default setting. It's to the 10s what Bloom was to the 00s and lens flare was to the late 90s.

Now, is there a way to turn friendly outline to always on instead of just out of sight? Can't seem to find it.

Yes, theres an always on option. Its on the first page of options, outlines on, switch it to always on.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    qVfvHnL.png

I'll match that bet:
    01FsRAA.png?1

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    #notworth

• Options
    I got my first yelling at in voice! Apparently getting grabbed by a Chaos Spawn while trying to rez my teammates who all had no health to start the fight because they ate a ton of hits from a swarm means I am just the worst at this game :rotate:

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    So I only found out the other day that Sienna (my main) can pack extra oomph to her fire beam by right clicking. I instacrack specials and elites in seconds. It's excellent at clearing out storm vermin in the middle of a big group of rats. I'm only on Veteran at the moment but I'm pretty frequently topping the damage, ranged kills and elite/special kills in the leader boards. Feels good to do work.

The beam staff went from 'eh' to me, to 'don't try to start a fire without it'.

I play pyromancer now and my two most use staves are the beam and flame wave. Love them. Crispy!

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Despite being called "beam staff", the beam is absolutely the least important part of its toolkit, yes.

• Options
    Garthor wrote: »
    Despite being called "beam staff", the beam is absolutely the least important part of its toolkit, yes.

One staff is called Flame River staff and it doesn't even call actual rivers of flame #falseadvertising

• Options
    I want to be able to shoot the beam through enemies before it loops back around and punches Kerillian in the eye for letting rats run up and hit me while I'm BURNING THE ENTIRE DAMN HORDE AT A SAFE RANGE WITH INFINITE PAIN and she's picking off single rats with potshots.

And it just insta-kills flamethrower dwarves via dickpunching.

• Options
    ColumnColumn Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I wish they’d add like, even half the quickplay bonus to custom games. It’s depressing how much better bots are than players even with a lot of the Verm1 bot quirks carrying over. It’s extra depressing how much better the bots are on Champ and Legend than the average group of randos right now.

I get they’re trying to do something about Horn of Magus style farming but dice still being as random as Verm1 and missing out on the quickplay bonus of half a bar to not deal with pugs is dumb when you just wanna try to get some reds.
    Kerillian...picking off single rats with potshots.
    While I get what you’re going for, and just complained about a similar thing, she should actually be long bowing those rats you’re stunning because she can kill an absurd number of them in a line with longbow like Bardin and Saltz can with their crossbows in between picking off specials.

It’s pretty easy to longbow even a semifunneled horde on the elf with how many slave and clan rats she can pierce with proper hero power. Same with whatever the basic chaos equivalents are.

Column on
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I was really hoping before the game was released all the variations on weapons and builds would allow for some great diversity. Sounds like everyone gets mad unless you are running a specific build with a specific loadout, though.

I hope Fatshark can bring some balance to everything else.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    I was really hoping before the game was released all the variations on weapons and builds would allow for some great diversity. Sounds like everyone gets mad unless you are running a specific build with a specific loadout, though.

I hope Fatshark can bring some balance to everything else.
    It’s like any other game that only hands rewards out with a W. Sure, I can run around easily enough on Ranger with unlimited shotgun ammo killing everything like I’m playing Doom or offensive tank as a Slayer with a 2h mace using my insane attack speed to CC all the enemies. Or I can play Iron Breaker and be unkillable because I can talent to never take damage every 13 seconds. There’s a reason IB Bardin bot rarely drops below full health on Champion and above.

Your average person in a pug can’t shoot well enough to make Ranger work, can’t play Slayer well enough to properly offensive tank it, is below level X for needed talent for build they’re trying to use, is under hero power X breakpoint for proper cleaving, damage, etc., and any combo of the above. Doesn’t make the rage right by any means but it’s much, much easier to stay alive with the IB talent than anything else Bardin gets so people get moody.

Replace Bardin with the other characters and you get similar scenarios.

• Options
    That's called the meta-game and it exists in all games, people will always gravitate to whatever build makes it easiest to win. It just happens to be things like Ironbreaker, but it would easily be anything else if it was better to play with to win by any measure.

• Options
    Man, I wish I was having anywhere near the same experience you seem to be having with the bots. I hesitate to even let a game start unless I have a full team of human players, because bots seem to be such a liability. They seem to work OK for me on Recruit, I guess.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    That's called the meta-game and it exists in all games, people will always gravitate to whatever build makes it easiest to win. It just happens to be things like Ironbreaker, but it would easily be anything else if it was better to play with to win by any measure.
    I love Q (Ranger), but when I need the W Chun (Iron Breaker) is right there so why bother.

I went with 3S since it’s such an easy, absurd example but use whatever tiering and meta-gaming example you want to for the same idea.
    Man, I wish I was having anywhere near the same experience you seem to be having with the bots. I hesitate to even let a game start unless I have a full team of human players, because bots seem to be such a liability. They seem to work OK for me on Recruit, I guess.
    Hero power and talents probably has a lot to do with it. I got Saltz to 30 and saved all my commendation chests to get to 300 item power ASAP. Everyone else is level 20 or higher so, assuming hero power is factored like talents, my bots are all 500 hero power or better.

It also helps I spent a ton of time screwing around with bots in Verm1 and so many of the quirks, while better, are still there for bots. The main being they lose their mind on all specials and will seek them out ASAP, but gunners especially. They will typically kill themselves going after a gunner or freeze in place looking for it. If you can stay on top of gunners they’ll normally be fine. They even tank rat ogres well now, doing the dodge dance until ROger uses the new moves.

You can also shoot them on Champion to trigger healing allowing somewhat easy solo one grim, three tome games or when duoing two grims, three tomes. You do lose the quickplay bonus of half a bar which sucks though and what got me riled up earlier since it cost me quite a few Emp boxes.

Column on
  • Options
    Honestly I think some of the classes also jut suffer for not really having a particularly good or notable unique selling point.

Like, Hand Maiden is a tank/support style class. Which is a neat enough role and interesting because most of the elf melee weapons are more offensive in their use.

But her increased dodge distance isn't that big a deal, super revives are great but rely on a run going poorly (rather than preventing that) and the stamina aura is almost certainly impactful but you never actually have the ability to tell.

Where as Waystalker you get regen and one of the best supers in the game and Shade you get boss murder out the ass.

• Options
    Stamina and Stamina Regen is much more important in higher difficulties. Handmaiden is much more used there. The meta changes dramatically as you get higher for classes, but weapons still stay pretty much the same. :p

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't think the handmaiden is flat out bad so much as a lot of her power isn't really apparent compared to the other two classes.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Ardol wrote: »
    Game no longer uninstalls itself after a particularly rare crash

what?

Reminds me of this little bug by Bungie

http://minimaxir.com/2013/06/working-as-intended/

At least it didn't delete boot.ini.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    The fights against Armored Mcdickface against Booblescum Asshole need some rebalancing. Every other map is getting to be routine on Champion, but I've yet to beat Pukeyface a single time, and I've only had one single successful match against Plateass. Even with people religiously knocking down trash enemies, Tin-plated Dickweed has way too much health and Bumplefucker Screwhead spawns way too damn many enemies to be reasonable.

Ninja Snarl P on